Don't blame Carmelo. BLAME DOLAN (and I-THOMAS)!!!

Den is goin to trade him to NY. Period. They have no choice. If they try to muscle him into taking that Nets deal which I don't hear no one saying is too much, he will decline in spite and ruin the rest of Den season. And he will take less money and walk away from them. It will become tit for tat.

We will get him.

mafra

Legend
I think when Woj says we are giving up "too much" he means it more in the sense that a deal would get done (eventually) for less than what we are offering...

It all depends on what we can do with Billups to me. If we can flip Billups for another star, a CP3 or a Deron Williams (obviously with other stuff), I would do it. But if not, we are giving up a LOT for one guy who doesn't play defense at all, to mainly help our scoring, which we have no real problem doing right now to begin with.

Billups can be bought out for 4 mil after this season. Knicks could clear some cap space and sign a Marc Gasol or Jamal Crawford (or something), or keep Billups and let his contract run out and then grab Deron or Paul after next season (or at the trade deadline).

This is why you have to get Carmelo. Knicks will be almost there. If we have Carmelo and Stat, Knicks will get Deron or Paul (and probably MIA gets the other).

mafra

Legend
Can I ask where those saying we should wait stand on the idea that Melo panics and goes either with NJ or re-signs in Denver and we end up missing out on a quality player yet again only this time it's OUR fault?

I see the best scorer in the league (arguably) I see him wanting to come here ahead of other teams inspite of the fact he'd be better served if he wanted to win now going elsewhere (painful but true).

Melo shouldn't have to mortgage his future just because the Knicks wasted their talent and picks and had to rebuild from scratch, this isn't his fault it's ours and all we are doing is paying the price for poor trades in the past.

Chuck is completely right that Melo on his own doesn't make us a definitive contender in the east, it doesn't however mean we shouldn't do this deal giving up practically nothing in the long run (Gallo's potential and a first rounder for Melo? I don't even count Felton who was a stand in and Chandler whose worst enemy is himself).

Melo signs and then we have CP3/D-Will and others clamouring to come here in 2012 to play with him and Amar'e, oh and we have cap space as well.

Where is exactly is the sense in NOT doing this deal now?

You want to risk not getting in many people's eyes the best pure scorer in the league in the most volatile financial market in and out of Basketball we've ever seen.

Glad it's not my money you're playing with!

We played our part, we've low balled well, now sign the damn deal.

I agree. These talking heads said Stoudemire wouldn't dominate sans Steve Nash, that he wasn't a leader nor could he turn things around and be the #1 star. They were all wrong. I think we'll discover the same thing with Carmelo.

I know this... When Kobe was w/out Shaq or Gasol, he didn't even make the playoffs one season. Switch Carmelo with Kobe, and I bet the Lakers still win the last 2 titles!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Billups can be bought out for 4 mil after this season. Knicks could clear some cap space and sign a Marc Gasol or Jamal Crawford (or something), or keep Billups and let his contract run out and then grab Deron or Paul after next season (or at the trade deadline).

This is why you have to get Carmelo. Knicks will be almost there. If we have Carmelo and Stat, Knicks will get Deron or Paul (and probably MIA gets the other).

I doubt Miami would get the other one. There are so many other teams with the room to sign a max contract that off-season, plenty of whom could use a superstar PG (Dallas, Philly, Houston, Clippers, etc.) that I don't see Miami making a play. Hell, if CP3/D-Will/Howard all reach Free Agency, the Clippers only have 18 million dollars of salary for the 2012-2013 season so they could conceivably make a run at D-Will and D12 and get themselves a team of:

D-Will
Eric Gordon
Al-Farouq Aminu
Blake Griffin
Dwight Howard

which could have a shot at being the best team in 2012...but again that's a LONG time down the line

gaknickfan

Benchwarmer
im a long time knick fan ....old than most of u young guys ......i still remember the knicks running off the laker floor in 73 their last championship (was 12 years old at the time).......i join the forum over the summer to vent my frustration about james dolan aka dolomite (my pet name for him) love affair with isiah thomas ...... i pray that whats been written is not true .....that this alocholic drug abuser doesnt turn this team over to zeke thomas the sociopath.....****ing thomas wins a hand full of games and dolomite cant give him a contract extension fast enough......... walsh turns this franchise around..... stop them from being the laughing stock of the league .......and not one word from the alocholic !!!!! amar signs with the knicks yet all the drunk can do is thank the sociopath for his help!!!!!!l...HEY dolomite!!!!!! how about thanking Walsh for getting the knicks under the cap so we could sign players like Amar!!!!!.....how about that????...u moron!!!!!...... this guy is clueless !!!!!!the knicks only hope is if this asswipe ODs

thanks for given me a place to vent

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The following is a joint statement from Executive Chairman, Madison Square Garden James L. Dolan, President, Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh and Head Coach Mike D?Antoni:

?We want to make it abundantly clear that we have been in constant communication throughout this process and the three of us are in complete agreement with everything that we are currently working on. Together, we will do what is best for the long-term success of the franchise. In addition, we want to make it clear that no one from outside our organization has been involved in this process in any way. We will have no further comment at this time.?

Media statement released by Knicks. I think its all media spin. I mean can we honestly believe that Isiah has any true pull regardless of his friendship with Dolan?