Early 2011 Draft Thoughts

finestrg

Rotation player
We'll have to see how the draft begins to take shape once the summer hits but the two guys I'd like to see us add are 6'11" C Keith Benson and 6'5" SG Marshon Brooks..They'd be perfect additions for this club...I'm thinking legit skilled center and potent 6th man with these two...Benson could turn into a well-rounded center fairly quickly that could contribute in all areas (score it inside & out, grab double-digit rebounds, best shot-blocker in the country) once he adds only another 5-10 lbs. of muscle (which I think could be done fairly quickly--he's said to be playing at 230 lbs. this year) and a 2G off the bench behind Fields that can basically do it all as well -- score the ball at a monster clip in a variety of ways and at a good shooting % overall, handle the ball & distribute, rebound it very well for a 2, plus contribute some steals and blocks with his superior length (not sure about his official measurements but this dude looks very long to me--we'll have to wait for the Combine)...There's a ton a value here when you sit back and think about what both guys can do & then where they're projected to go at the moment..As for drafting a PG, I'm not sure there's a good enough one early or late to justify taking -- I like guys like Kemba Walker, Demetri McCamey, Purdue's E'twaun Moore is a guy I've seen a few times now that's impressive even though he's probably more of an off-guard in the OJ Mayo mold, etc.. all for different reasons but in the end I'm not sure any would be that difference-maker/future full-time quarterback we'll need..Plus I think we're fine next year with a Billups/Douglas combo at the point (more than fine actually & maybe Anthony Carter comes back on the cheap too) to bridge the gap to 2012 when Paul and D-Will are FAs (something I'm sure we're already plotting)...I think beefing up other areas makes a little more sense....Adding a legit center with skills and a 6th man via FA would cost a TON in terms of cap room, room we just don't have and room we're gonna need to preserve for the following year -- we have a shot to do it for minimal cost going this route..

As usual I'll be looking for us to max out this draft, meaning I'd like to see us add at least one additional pick --- how we go about doing that, I'm not sure -- purchase one outright, parlay our 1st rounder to a team that has 2 lower picks, etc..If they don't pursue a guy like Benson thinking they already have something similar coming in Jerome Jordan and instead look to add more muscle & rebounding with a Jordan Williams or a Ken Faried, I'd be OK with that too (although coming away with a J Jordan/Benson center combo for the future with Turiaf going 1 more year as a bridge back-up 4 wouldn't be terrible either---we already have perhaps the game's best PF in Stoudemire anyway..Benson looks to be more skilled than Jerome Jordan however. Maybe we grab Benson & then use J Jordan's rights, Andy Rautins, along with some cash to grab that extra pick??? That might be more than what team's typically offer for a pick and could put us a leg up when the time comes..Plus we could then go out and invite D-League PF/C Marcus Cousin to training camp next year---that's kid's good--it'd be like adding an extra draft pick for nothing)..Whatever we do, I'd definitely love to get an extra pick and grab this kid Brooks from Providence..Saw him again last night and although he didn't have a great game, I think he's the goods. Dude can do a lot of things and he's had a phenomenal senior year including several MONSTER games..I think he'd bring a ton of firepower off the bench, even in year one, and for the right price..And I like the fact that he's not just a scorer..That Providence team stinks save for a couple of guys (Vincent Council's a decent talent) but Brooks is basically a one-man gang putting up killer numbers right across the board---dude's averaging 24.7 ppg on 49% FGs, 7.2 rebs, 2.4 assists, 1.6 steals, 1.2 blocks...Draftexpress.com has this guy going 57th right now in their mock...I think that's absolutely crazy..He looks like lottery material to me but say he does goes late, say late 1st/early 2nd, we gotta jump on him there.

I also like the idea of adding a Jon Diebler if he goes undrafted. We should scoop him right up if that's the case..Training camp invite with a legit chance to make the club (Brooks and Diebler would be a huge upgrade over Billy Walker, even just one of those two)...At 6'6" Diebler could fill in at the 2 or 3 and he's one hell of a shooter..Might be the best outside shooter in the entire country, playing for perhaps the best team..

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
"I remember studying Kenneth Faried a bunch last year and thinking he’d probably be a second round pick because of his size. He decided to return to school and the 6’8 forward from Morehead State is leading the country in rebounding, a need the Knicks most certainly have and may look to address at the draft. Faried, a Newark, NJ resident, is pulling down a hefty 14.3 rebounds per game albeit in a smaller conference, a notion that I believe is overrated at times.
Faried put up 20 and 18, along with 2 blocks at Florida and had 15 points 12 rebounds and 5 steals against Jared Sullinger and Ohio State. Sullinger, widely considered one of the top big prospects in the draft, was held to just 8 points.
Faried is an energy player. He’s relentless. But his size could be an issue at the power forward position in the NBA. Right now nbadraft.net has him in the Knicks neighborhood, although I don’t think a talent like this will drop below 20. And figure the Knicks should improve in the standings with the addition of Carmelo Anthony.
Morehead State is currently 22-9 and the second seed in the Ohio Valley Conference tournament."

-VIA (THEKNICKSBLOG.com; by Tommy Dee)

It seems like there's a bunch of these 6"9' to 6"11' prospects that will be available when our 1st arrives. OF COURSE, the question is which one is Oakley-Mason vs which one if Mr. Irrelevant.

Faried, Trey Thompkins, Tristan Thompson, JaJuan Johnson, Markieff Morris, Chris Singleton, Jordan Williams.

Then there's the foreign guys-with-size: Jonas Valanciunas, Lucas Nogueira, Donatas Motiejunas, Jan Vesely.

That's about ELEVEN potential PF/C combos guys. Our scouting department must identify which one is relentless... possess rebounding instinct... tough and stout... defend the interior... bang some bodies. I think if we draft this, signs a bruising 7-footer, develop Jerom Jordan. Retain Jeffries-Turiaf... we should have enough size to protect Amar'e.

NOW, if we identify Nolan Smith, Kemba Walker or Jimmer Fredette as PGs that fit our system... GIve us a possible floor general... Then I could go this route too. Billups will teach Douglas. He'll be imprved next year b/c of that and b/c he'll be healthier. But we have to scour the market and see if a backup PG is better to be had in the draft or via free agency.

A wild car I have is Kyle Singler. He seems like a D'antoni player. Has size. A leader. He defends. He can shoot. We could fall in love with him... although I doubt it. We signed Brown and we need PG & C alot more.

I think we HOPE Fredette falls to us. I imagine he's our #1 target. I think we promised him last year we would draft him... but we only had a 2nd rounder. I think we told him we would buy a late first if he entered the draft.

I think if Jimmer is gone, then we'll target one of these brusing/rebounding PF/C combo players. I have no idea which one we'll like.

THEN, in the 2nd round... I expect we'll target the "other" need, unless a pure sniper is available. I would look at a plaer like Shelvin Mack. A really good young PG.

finestrg

Rotation player
Good thoughts...What's your take on Marshon Brooks Maf? Man, I'm really liking what I see A LOT. Dude actually reminds me of Kobe Bryant the way he plays the game a little bit..I'd be shocked if this kid fell past 10..But if he really does go later, i think we gotta consider him..He's an absolute steal late in this draft.

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
"I remember studying Kenneth Faried a bunch last year and thinking he?d probably be a second round pick because of his size. He decided to return to school and the 6?8 forward from Morehead State is leading the country in rebounding, a need the Knicks most certainly have and may look to address at the draft. Faried, a Newark, NJ resident, is pulling down a hefty 14.3 rebounds per game albeit in a smaller conference, a notion that I believe is overrated at times.
Faried put up 20 and 18, along with 2 blocks at Florida and had 15 points 12 rebounds and 5 steals against Jared Sullinger and Ohio State. Sullinger, widely considered one of the top big prospects in the draft, was held to just 8 points.
Faried is an energy player. He?s relentless. But his size could be an issue at the power forward position in the NBA. Right now nbadraft.net has him in the Knicks neighborhood, although I don?t think a talent like this will drop below 20. And figure the Knicks should improve in the standings with the addition of Carmelo Anthony.
Morehead State is currently 22-9 and the second seed in the Ohio Valley Conference tournament."

-VIA (THEKNICKSBLOG.com; by Tommy Dee)

It seems like there's a bunch of these 6"9' to 6"11' prospects that will be available when our 1st arrives. OF COURSE, the question is which one is Oakley-Mason vs which one if Mr. Irrelevant.

Faried, Trey Thompkins, Tristan Thompson, JaJuan Johnson, Markieff Morris, Chris Singleton, Jordan Williams.

Then there's the foreign guys-with-size: Jonas Valanciunas, Lucas Nogueira, Donatas Motiejunas, Jan Vesely.

That's about ELEVEN potential PF/C combos guys. Our scouting department must identify which one is relentless... possess rebounding instinct... tough and stout... defend the interior... bang some bodies. I think if we draft this, signs a bruising 7-footer, develop Jerom Jordan. Retain Jeffries-Turiaf... we should have enough size to protect Amar'e.

NOW, if we identify Nolan Smith, Kemba Walker or Jimmer Fredette as PGs that fit our system... GIve us a possible floor general... Then I could go this route too. Billups will teach Douglas. He'll be imprved next year b/c of that and b/c he'll be healthier. But we have to scour the market and see if a backup PG is better to be had in the draft or via free agency.

A wild car I have is Kyle Singler. He seems like a D'antoni player. Has size. A leader. He defends. He can shoot. We could fall in love with him... although I doubt it. We signed Brown and we need PG & C alot more.

I think we HOPE Fredette falls to us. I imagine he's our #1 target. I think we promised him last year we would draft him... but we only had a 2nd rounder. I think we told him we would buy a late first if he entered the draft.

I think if Jimmer is gone, then we'll target one of these brusing/rebounding PF/C combo players. I have no idea which one we'll like.

THEN, in the 2nd round... I expect we'll target the "other" need, unless a pure sniper is available. I would look at a plaer like Shelvin Mack. A really good young PG.

Just want to chime in and let you know that your list of players for the draft is very impressive along with your observations. It is very much appreciated. Thank you!!

mafra

Legend
Just want to chime in and let you know that your list of players for the draft is very impressive along with your observations. It is very much appreciated. Thank you!!

Thanks alot. Kind words indeed. I appreciate that.

As for Marshon Brooks... Well, he certainly opened up some eyes when he dropped 50! He's currently 2nd in the nation in scoring, I believe?

I think Walsh hoped Jimmer falls instead. More of a PG than Brooks. HOWEVER, there's a good chance Brooks is there when we pick. I think if we're looking at SG... which is quietly a need b/c Fields needs help... A guy like Ravern Johnson makes more sense. Looking at a pure catch-&-shooter, more so than a ball dominating creator.

Of course, if we feel/decide/think Brooks has that floor-general quality in him, he shoots right up to the top of the list... Making Jimmer and Brooks our top choice. I see Kyrie Irving as the #1 PG in this draft, but see no reason why Jimmer or Marshon wouldn't be in the top 3 or 5 if we feel their passing and P ability is worth developing.

THEN AGAIN... Brandon Knight might be sitting there when we pick, and we might think he's a cross between both Jimmer or Marshon!

STAT1

Starter
Haven't done much research yet on prospects but a few guys I think might be there for the taking when it's our turn to pick that I think could help our team are:

finestrg

Rotation player
Haven't done much research yet on prospects but a few guys I think might be there for the taking when it's our turn to pick that I think could help our team are:

Good call bro..All 3 players could definitely help us..

finestrg

Rotation player
My wish list for the offseason - I think it's all very doable:

Not sure of the exact cap ramifications (trying my best not to add significant salary and work within the framework) but this would be my plan: I'd look to hold tight on high-end free agency for 1 year and instead max out the draft with 2 picks (I wanna see them acquire a 2nd pick in this draft somehow -- Jerome Jordan, Andy Rautins, and up to $3M cash are assets I'm ready to include to land the highest pick possible, preferably a high 2 for salary cap reasons---->I'd select 6'5" SG Marshon Brooks with our own 1st & 6'11" C Keith Benson with the acquired lower pick..Then I'd jump all over the best undrafted prospect right after the draft concludes (possibly 6'6" SG/SF Jon Diebler) and then invite DL big man Marcus Cousin to training camp with a guarantee to make the club (dude had 18 & 15 last night for the Austin Toros). Possibly SF DeShawn Sims as well (see below)*. Next year's lineup:

5 - Turiaf/Cousin/Benson
4 - Stoudemire/Turiaf/Cousin/Benson
3 - Anthony/Shawne Williams/Diebler/Balkman *DeShawn Sims
2 - Fields/Marshon Brooks/Diebler
1 - Billups/Douglas/A. Carter

That lineup would have everything we would need to compete at a high level next year (and really be more of a well-rounded, complete team than what we have right now): Star power at the top, a damn good vet PG at the controls even for just 1 more year, firepower off the bench with Marshon Brooks, improved size/rebounding/shot-blocking/depth, another quality shooter off the bench that could play 2 positions & stretch the defense..Turiaf for 1 more season until Cousin & Benson are ready full-time the following year (although both could absolutely contribute next season, esp. Cousin, with a chance to faze out Turiaf altogether)...Brooks is my new potent 6th man..Diebler takes over for Walker/Rautins and would be an upgrade..Billups/Douglas and possibly A. Carter back on the cheap can easily bridge the gap at the point for another season and get us to CP3, D-Will or maybe even Ray Felton...Walker's gone. I'd like to keep Shawne Williams but if he demands too much money from us, he can go too--Brooks and Diebler easily replace both players. *Maybe I go a step further & invite a DeShawn Sims to training camp to replace Williams at a better cost..Continue to shop Balkman even if I had to give him away in the end for peanuts--his contract needs to come off the books at some point before 2012 free agency (until we can unload him [say he's still with us to start the season next year], I'd actually look to use Balkman in a spot-duty hustle/defense role a-la Jeffries--it would only improve his value---we should've just used Balk in this role right now as a showcase measure and forgot all about Jeffries--the ultimate goal is to find a taker for Balkman eventually)..We're gonna need every penny in the summer of 2012 -- that's when I'll be looking to spend big on the open market and make the big splash (targetting one of the big PGs), but not this off-season..This summer, I think we can make many improvements going the smart, cost-conscious route..

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
Some interesting names there finest, but I don't get the feeling DW is gonna go with a whole lotta young guys in the roster next year. My guess is he'll target more experienced players to fill role positions now that we have the star players in place. I have a feeling your nightmare will come true & Jared Jeffries will be signed to a 1 year contract for next season. Would love to buy another 1st round pick if we can like you said. If we can come out of this summer with a rebounding shotblocker that can defend the paint & a PG that can dish & knock down some J's, we'll be in great shape.

finestrg

Rotation player
I hear what you're saying and you're probably right -- I'm sure Donnie and Mike (esp. Mike) would prefer to go with vets to fill out the roster next year. I just don't see how it's gonna be possible..As it stands right now our team salary will be at $45.5M for next year -- that's w/o Billups and Walker's options picked up..Walker I couldn't care less about (I'd like to upgrade his spot anyway and I think we can do so fairly easily in the draft/post-draft) but Billups we're gonna need to pick up though..Once we pick up Chauncey's contract that'll put us at $59.696M (that's only for 8 players total btw--w/Billups, w/o Walker..Maybe we use the minimum salary exception to bring back Anthony Carter too as a 3rd PG, if he'd even accept that.. That would put us over $60M, 9 spots filled with Carter, 6 still open). Most likely that'll be right at the cap, hopefully below but probably over..We'd then be able to use the MLE, but honestly, do we add another semi-big salary player and then jepordize what we plan to do the following year? I dunno man..We've gotten burned with the MLE before, with Jared Jeffries in fact..No doubt a guy like DeAndre Jordan would be nice and a good fit but would he alone put us over the hump?? And then would there be enough money left over for the following year to go after a CP3 or D-Will?? Not sure but I wouldn't think so.

A vet role player like Roger Mason Jr. was given a contract of $1.4M this year..Modest as that may seem, given our current salary cap structure, I just don't see how we'd even be able to add a player like that this summer let alone a higher-priced vet..Maybe I'm overlooking something -- if I am, please let me know..

Again correct me if I'm mistaken but it's always been my understanding that you can exceed the cap to sign your own 1st round pick, draft as many 2nd rounders as you want and stash them away for up to a year (Jerome Jordan for example) until we can work them in (holding off on an official contract offer in the meantime) and also add as many league minimum guys as you want..That's why I'm looking to load up on stuff like that this offseason--the best I can find in these categories in fact..I'd love to have two picks in this draft (our own 1st and a high 2 we acquire somehow), jump all over the best undrafted talent that falls thru the cracks and the best DL talent I can find and invite them to camp--perhaps using the rest of this year as an early audition..My thinking, perhaps flawed-I'm not sure, is that we can fit all those guys in and evaluate who stays and who goes for the following year..The following season, Billups & Turiaf alone equals $18.56M coming off the cap--that's when I'd be looking to make my splash and reup the existing talent that's worth extending (keeping in mind that Landry Fields is gonna have to get paid too, maybe something close to what Wes Matthews Jr. got from Portland--most likely that'll be the salary comparison used by Landry's agent..I can't see Fields taking less than that frankly). In the meantime (this offseason), go out and get me 2 guys in this draft (I'm intrigued by 6'5" ready to contribute now/monster scorer Marshon Brooks with our #1 around 20 and high upside do-it-all C Keith Benson from Oakland with a 2nd rounder we can hopefully acquire..Make no mistake, there are plenty of guys we could make good use of in this draft---STAT1 mentioned 3 talented players above, 2 very interesting PGs if we decide to go that route), a tremendous shooter in Jon Diebler if he goes undrafted, and then bring in some top DL talent on the cheap to round out the rest: C Marcus Cousin & SF DeShawn Sims are two guys that just feel right for us..Cousin is the best C in the DL right now and Sims might be the best hybrid 3/4 playing in that league..Telling you guys right now, both of these guys would be a huge step up from Turiaf and Shawne Williams..

On another draft board that shall remain nameless, a certain cocky moderator tells me that he couldn't recall the last time a DL big made it in the NBA while also calling me presumptuous about DL talent being able to help this team..I proceeded to rattle off about 10 bigs off the top of my head that came from the DL/CBA that have had an impact in the NBA from Anthony Mason & Bo Outlaw back in the day all the way up to Reggie Evans, Anthony Tolliver and Chris Johnson (bigs only mind you, I didn't even bother to mention the countless DL guards and wings that have come up and made NBA teams)..This dude, like many out there, seem to think the DL is some joke/rec league or something and that's simply not the case..The NBDL is a tremendous resource -- countless talented players that could be added (right now in fact with a little juggling) that could help us round out this roster and contribute, both now and possibly even long-term...Marcus Cousin really reminds me of Jordan Hill/Al Horford and DeShawn Sims reminds me of Wilson Chandler, more talented and younger than Chandler actually. Both of these guys were 4-year college players with one year in the DL playing at an all-star level..Cousin even played 1 year in Europe I believe..There's nothing left to prove for them in the DL..Their time has come..They'd be excellent fits here..Not doubt in my mind and even better for us, the price is right. Look at Samardo Samuels for the Cavs..Good move grabbing this guy on the cheap, he can play..They grabbed him after he went undrafted, before he even went to Europe or the DL..I honestly believe this is the way to go for us, at least until the end of next season.

Last edited:
We need to get Kenneth Faried but if not we should get Chris Singleton (Note: Singleton fractured his foot on Feb. 12 and had surgery shortly after. It will be interesting to see when he is able to return and if he will be effective enough to keep his stock high enough to remain in the 2011 draft.)

Kenneth Faried:

NBA Comparison: Louis Amundson

Strengths: High energy post player who excels at doing the dirty work, in particular rebounding, defending and banging in the post ... Plays with exuberance and aggressiveness ... An above average, fluid athlete who is willing to sacrifice his body ... Huge hands help him to secure rebounds. Athletic body ... An excellent run/jump athlete with explosive leaping ability ... His long arms and explosiveness help to compensate for his lack of ideal size ... One of the most dominant interior forces on the college level, leads the nation in rebounds at 13.3 rpg ... A good shot blocker with timing and instincts ... Also extremely active defensively - leading the OVC in steals at 2.3 per game, very impressive for a bigman ... Offensive game has shown solid improvement ... His lack of versatility and offense actually makes him a stronger role player as he focuses most of his time and energy on improving his rebounding, defense and post play ... Has a great feel for positioning and using his length and quickness to gather rebounds ... An excellent out of area rebounder ... Competes hard, seems to have tireless energy ... Has a developing jump hook shot that he has added to his repertoire ...

Chris Singleton :

NBA Comparison: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Strengths: A small forward with terrific size and length for the position … He is an explosive leaper and has next level athleticism … A very good player in transition, he runs the floor extremely hard and is able to finish plays above the rim in open lane situations … His upper body is well built, and he has the strength to move defenders on drives to the basket … Has developed into a formidable catch and shoot threat … With his feet set he can shoot the ball with range and fairly consistently knock down jumpers from deep … Shows the ability to make shots from the NBA three point line … His biggest impact is on the defensive end, where his size, length, athleticism and terrific instincts make him a lockdown defender … He possesses all the tools to be able to translate his defense to the NBA level … Can guard multiple positions … His ability to anticipate and jump into passing lanes combined with shotblocking, make him a very rare threat on the defensive side of the ball … He is a blue-collar player and is capable of impacting the game without needing the ball in his hands or getting plays called for him … A solid rebounder, he is especially good on the O glass, where he uses his length and athleticism to get to rebounds …

Last edited: