East's Elite - Us VS Them - Big ③s & MVPs - Season Thread Monitoring Rivals

What Seed Do You See Us As Come Post-Season?

Votes: 1 3.1%

Votes: 4 12.5%

Votes: 17 53.1%

Votes: 7 21.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

KingCharles34

All Star
As much as I hate to say this I think the Celtics still have a lot left in their tank despite the ages of their big three.If guys like Jason Kidd, Grant Hill and Kurt Thomas could play at a high level even though they're approaching forty the Celtics big three will most likely not show any signs of breaking down.The only way I see the Knicks finishing the season ahead of them is if they finish in the top 10 in defense.

I have 10+ reasons why i think we're better then Boston

• Doc said those guys weren't in the best of shape
  • Stoudemire was sh*ttin on KG before he got hurt in the playoffs last year
  • Celtics have complained about the short free agency/training camp more then any other team
  • Grant Hill and Kurt Thomas didnt come out of high school (KG)
  • Grant Hill saved himself a few years with all the ankle injuries
  • Kurt Thomas didnt log nearly as many minutes as any Big 3 member
  • Garnett will be 36 in May
  • Garnett averaged 15pts and 9rbs last year, hard to imagine him doing the same this year
  • They have very little offense coming from PF and C
  • Ray Allen is 36, has to slow down at some point
  • Pierce with his strong build is bound to slow down, i bet he lost a step over the summer

I just dont see them being better then us unless Rondo developed a jumpshot over the summer and learned how to shoot free throws too

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
With Douglas running the point, in order to accentuate his strengths (3pt shooting) I see...

Melo bringing the ball up, or getting the ball quickly:

Spread P&R offense...

Melo and Stat running the P&R, Fields & TD posted on the corners or outside for the kick-out, TC roaming the lane for the dump-off, alley-oop, and put backs.

This is the most basic version of our offense and all that will mostly change is who is involved in the P&R, from where on the floor, who's spotting up for shots.

Every starter we have can do this- some better than others.

Melo gets the ball, Stat sets the pick, Melo pulls up... and scores!

Melo gets the ball top of the key, gives off to Douglas, Melo cuts to the basket, Douglas comes off the screen set by Chandler, throws the lob, slam Stat!

The options are endless. What can't we do?

P&R
P&P
Swing out for the 3
Stop & Pop
Driving to the hoop
Alley-oop
Put Backs

I mean it's literally going to be pick your poison. We achieved this last year, with worse players, in limited time.

Imagine.

All we really should be looking for is the ability to consistently LOCK DOWN on defense. If we can do this...

Seriously this time.... we will be a problem! No one will want to see us come playoff time.

I can see how my post was a bit rhetorical, I'm more so eluding to an interior game. Last season, we often fell in to a predictable motion. I want to see us post STAT @ 45 and Melo on the block and incorporate a 2 man game from their favored positions.

You're right though, defense will be what unleashes our beast mode, and that starts and ends with our stars - buying in - as the new saying goes. Fields will have to step it up. Guarantee that if he doesn't, Shump, who already appears to have more offensive fluidity, could take the starting reigns.

Offense = minutes in NYC.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I have 10+ reasons why i think we're better then Boston
  • Doc said those guys weren't in the best of shape
  • Stoudemire was sh*ttin on KG before he got hurt in the playoffs last year
  • Celtics have complained about the short free agency/training camp more then any other team
  • Grant Hill and Kurt Thomas didnt come out of high school (KG)
  • Grant Hill saved himself a few years with all the ankle injuries
  • Kurt Thomas didnt log nearly as many minutes as any Big 3 member
  • Garnett will be 36 in May
  • Garnett averaged 15pts and 9rbs last year, hard to imagine him doing the same this year
  • They have very little offense coming from PF and C
  • Ray Allen is 36, has to slow down at some point
  • Pierce with his strong build is bound to slow down, i bet he lost a step over the summer
I just dont see them being better then us unless Rondo developed a jumpshot over the summer and learned how to shoot free throws too

You forgot one - what about the fact that we have back-to-back-to-back games in the shortened season? That's going to kill a lot of guys as it is, but the Celtics are going to get overwhelmed since they need crutches

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Doc is not stupid. He will do just enough to make the play-offs then rest his guys. Who did the exact opposite??? Oh, yes. D'antoni. He ran Amar'e, Felton, and the team rampant.

If Nets get Howard, they will be a force. I would be upset if that happened. I would imagine that is how Lakers fans are feeling right now.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Doc is not stupid. He will do just enough to make the play-offs then rest his guys. Who did the exact opposite??? Oh, yes. D'antoni. He ran Amar'e, Felton, and the team rampant.

If Nets get Howard, they will be a force. I would be upset if that happened. I would imagine that is how Lakers fans are feeling right now.

You can't compare us. We were a borderline 7/8 seed that was a week-long losing streak away from missing the playoffs for most of the season. We needed to play hard given our team's propensity for losing when it, you know, seriously matters.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
- Preseason game or no, the Heat demoralized the Magic yesterday.

- Jermaine O'neal (Celdics) is apparently in the best shape he's been in for a while, after having the lockout to recuperate.

☆ Completely irrelevant as far as the thread goes, but did anyone see this absolute nuke of a dunk in LA?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Lakers were knocked out in the third quarter already. They looked totally out of shape, maybe they're playing swindle, don't know, but they looked poor last night. No motivation, no shape, no teamwrok, no defense, nothing. If they keep playing hoops like this we're gonna serve them a blowout on 12/29.

iSaYughh

Starter
You can't compare us. We were a borderline 7/8 seed that was a week-long losing streak away from missing the playoffs for most of the season. We needed to play hard given our team's propensity for losing when it, you know, seriously matters.

:aplause:

Nobody was complaining when we found ourselves a playoff'bound team and Amare was lighting up the Garden and this franchise into relevance like we hadn't been in a decade.

Let's not re-write history to keep dogging Coach D.

There will be plenty of decisive critique or compliment by the time this season plays itself out.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
:aplause:

Nobody was complaining when we found ourselves a playoff'bound team and Amare was lighting up the Garden and this franchise into relevance like we hadn't been in a decade.

Let's not re-write history to keep dogging Coach D.

There will be plenty of decisive critique or compliment by the time this season plays itself out.

A good point, sir!! I've decided to lay off MD this year.

He has a potent team that will make him look good. I think, however, that he'll have a personal challenge in front of him this year, because he's been given a roster that is stipulated by management, not by his system's whim.

Can a leopard change its spots if it has a gun to its head?

It'll be one of the more intriguing things to analyze as a Knick fan this year.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Consensus Now

Crazy⑧s;189622 said:
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif

a-anthony-chandler-stoudemire.jpg

VS

the-miami-heat-big-three.jpg

VS

bullscover_crop_650x440.jpg

VS

61648473.JPG

VS

413-2010-2011-season-preview-boston-celtics-fantasy_g_rondo_480-jpg.jpg

The Miami cHeat turned the basketball world on its head with their cavorting public appearance prior to last season, after signing Bosh and LeBron James in the off-season to add to their current superstar, Dwayne Wade.

Here's a nauseating reminder of the goings on:

Now, with the acquisitions - in order - of STAT, Melo and Tyson Chandler, the Knicks have adhered to Miami's blueprint for success: hedging their bets on 3 individuals, and paying top dollar to do so.

The Heat have already been voted on RealGm.com, as heavy favorites to take home Larry O'brien this year, and no doubt are touted by many in the know as the team to beat this season. Before they attempt to garner the NBA's one common goal, they'll have to take care of their Eastern conference counterparts.

l5157523.jpg

The Chicago Bulls can lay claim to Eastern supremacy, as well. After an amazing season behind MVP, Derrick Rose, and an ECF loss to Miami, the Bulls will be ready. They are one or two good trades away from being a powerhouse in every sense of the word.

Here's a look back at the season that was, and the anticipation for the season to be for the Chicago Bulls.

The Orlando Magic
orl_40.gif

After losing in an upset in 6 games to the Hawks last season, the Magic seem poised to do, well, not a lot. After using amnesty on Arenas and re-signing J-Rich and trading Bass for Big Baby Davis, the Magic still are in need of system tweaks.

Regardless of this blaring fact, they still have D12, and will remain in the East's elite because of it. Looks very much like they'll be keeping him on board at least for this season, too.

Having the league's best center and 3 times and counting DPOY is a big +, but Orlando, after a myriad of poor signings and bad contracts, have little to trade for, and not a lot of room to add to their mediocre supporting cast.

Boston Celdics.
bos_40.gif

They're old, haggard and irritating beyond recall, but the Celts with their veteran big 3 and Rondo will still be lingering around spots 4 and 5. I have nothing else to say about them except this: Rondo is their glue. They dangled him in front of the league for CP3, but, as is the standard with the NBA, they declined on post CBA principal. Will that rattle Rondo's cage? If it does, look for an implosion in Boston.

I ****ing HATE the Celtics. A plague on them all.

Atlanta Hawks
atl_40.gif

Perennial contenders for a second round exit, the Hawks have seen better days: Crawford is out, Josh Smith still voicing his desire to be traded, Joe Johnson's ridiculous contract. They have signed T Mac, though, and will again be amongst the top 8.

I really don't expect much from Atlanta this year. Bar the influence of an outbreak by Al Horford, the Hawks will begin their descent in to the lower end of the top 9 teams this year, IMO.

nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif
nyk_40.gif

SO LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS, GENTS.

I would love to know what people on here are thinking about the East, as the distance between seeds 1-4 and 5-8 are so immense, what will become of the Knicks?

Let's keep our counterparts under UAV surveillance: trades, trends, stats, injuries, news and so forth - bring it here and we'll keep a watchful eye on opponent teams in the scramble for best seeding come playoff time. This hectic schedule will be jam packed with highs and lows for every team, and will make for interesting analysis.

If it's alright with everyone, I'd like to keep an eye on our Eastern rivals in this thread, and keep up to date with the conference as so many games this year will be against conference foes.

It seems the consensus of the so called thinking heads is that MIAMI AND CHICAGO are the two best teams in the east...and quite frankly I agree. It will be up to the returning BARON DAVIS...and depending on which BARON shows up will determine how we cope with D. WADE and D.ROSE...certainly if the one that shows up is a Davis at his best we can play with both MIAMI and the BULLS.
Having said that, I know you read the Sixers are better than the Knicks and some writers have even projected a 35-31 season for the KNICKS...that would be a complete failure to me. I think what needs to be done on the Knicks is doable..right there is real HOPE.I know I will be nervous for opening day ...with the CELTICS...as the first three games are against three excellent teams.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

Davis is unquestionably MASSIVE for us. Doesn't seem to be any sort of set date for his debut, however.

I'm nervous about the opener too. I'll be on a f'ing plane whilst it's playing, sadly. Luckily, I got business class this time around. Sweet.

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;190920 said:

He has a potent team that will make him look good. I think, however, that he'll have a personal challenge in front of him this year, because he's been given a roster that is stipulated by management, not by his system's whim.

Can a leopard change its spots if it has a gun to its head?

It'll be one of the more intriguing things to analyze as a Knick fan this year.

Absolutely! IMHO, this is a referendum year that be the bedrock of what will ultimately define MDA's legacy...one way or another.

Fascinating subplot to follow, indeed!

So much juice to this season..Can't wait to kick shit off by kicking the shit out of the Bostonion Cripples. :beer:

Idk about you guys but I think we can take on the Bulls no problem. They ALMOST lost to the Lakers and they just lost yesterday to GSW. Rose just doesn't look the same as last year and Boozer had only 6 points. I know it's still early but damn.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Now we're picking up the pace, this thread has some meaning again.

Very telling win for the 76ers at home against Indiana.

http://www.nba.com/games/20120109/INDPHI/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0021100127#nbaGIboxscore

For the foreseeable future, these are the teams that we'll be seesawing through the 8 with.

Someone explain to me how that's a satisfactory result.

Eastern Conference standings here:

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

We've got 3 very nasty games ahead.

We HAVE to beat Memphis - whose number we had last year

Very interested in the Philly match up.

Wed 11 vs Philadelphia
Thu 12 @ Memphis
Sat 14 @ Oklahoma City
Mon 16 vs Orlando
Wed 18 vs Phoenix

iSaYughh

Starter
^ We're taking 4/5, IMO. And it is what we should do, too.

There will be a few junctures this season where we will, or will not, assert ourselves to the league and show where we belong in the hierarchy of playoff teams.

It's early, but this 5 game stretch is the first of those junctures.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Crazy⑧s;190920 said:

:lol:

Fail.

Philly coming to town after a veritable day off in Sacramento.

This is going to be a real gauger for our boys.

Tyson and Fields :)() will be our key mismatches.

carousel_SixersGameday_460_120110.jpg

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;195323 said:
:lol:

Fail.

Philly coming to town after a veritable day off in Sacramento.

This is going to be a real gauger for our boys.

Tyson and Fields :)() will be our key mismatches.

carousel_SixersGameday_460_120110.jpg

:pimp:

We gotta take Philly down, start off this stretch of games on the right hoof.

I'm worried about Evan Turner, along with Holliday of course. But we must contain Turner and not allow a game where he goes off for 20 and a near tipple double, while shooting 80%.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Back On Track!

:alert:We're back in the :alert:
426212_3100411424485_1090158690_33149229_1854882086_n.jpg

Finally I can bump this thread after going through the doldrums of the opening part of the season.

So, as we endeavor onward and upward with our newly discovered weapon, I think the time has come to talk about our target position going in to the post-season.

Looking at the 8 now, I think that we should set our crosshair at 5th seed. That's speaking RIGHT NOW!

We'll see what unfolds after a few games of having our complete starting 5 ready to play and care free ~ injuries and otherwise.

- Boston have proven more resilient than I thought they would. Fags.
- Atlanta have maintained despite the loss of Horford.
- Orlando have descended as most prognosticated.
- Indiana and the 76ers are over achieving like I can't believe it.

5th spot. Too ambitious?

I think we can rightfully keep this thread alive now, all thanks to the little engine that could, Jeremy Lin.

◆ For the sake of keeping our foes under radar, Boston recently lost to the Craptors in an embarrassing display of Celtic gayfagness.

Indiana went down to Denver by 4 in a nail biter.

large_2.11JPLin.png

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Knicks are too unpredictable now to say where are we going to be at the end of the season, and therefore I'm not looking further than the next 10 games. In my opinion our plan min during the upcoming days should be 5-5, we have some scrubs to beat including the Raptors, Kings, Cavs and obviously the Brighton Beach Nyets, but also several tough games with winning teams... However, if everything clicks when Amare and Carmelo rejoin the squad, we could even go for 9-1, we know Boston and Dallas are not the same teams that beat us badly last season and we somewhow matchup pretty okay with Atlanta.