Felton: The Carmelo Rumors are Hurting Our Performance

KBlack25

Starter
Related to the MDA topic, this time a player and comments from the President:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/210876/Felton_Carmelo_Rumors_Impacting_Knicks_Performance

Raymond Felton is tired of the Carmelo Anthony rumors and said Friday night that the speculation is New York's problem.
"That's the problem right now," Felton said after the Knicks lost to the Lakers at home. "It's just that it's being talked about too much."
The Knicks have lost eight of their 12 games since they became the front-runner to land Anthony when the Nets pulled out of talks with the Nuggets.
"I don't know that," Donnie Walsh said when asked if the rumors were an issue. "But it appears to be with some guys. But I know this: That you gotta get used to it. It's a young team. They haven't been through that."

nuckles2k2

Superstar
That's expected, putting too much stock into what's said in the media is a mistake. We live in a culture of "political correctness" and we have a head coach who does more politicking and complaining/whining than coaching and holding all of his players accountable.

So I'm not surprised to hear the Knicks using the opportunity to blame their subpar play on the Melo talks.

That still doesn't explain why we were shooting 8% from behind the 3 point line with like 7 mins left in the 2nd Q against the Clippers. It doesn't explain why we refused to put any size on the court to at least disrupt the Lakers when they trotted out combos of Gasol/Bynum/Odom, it doesn't explain why it took 16 3-pointers to barely beat the Nets (not counting the late game free throws to stop the clock.)

At some point you have to start observing the facts for yourself and stop worrying about what a player/coach is saying in the media. The players understand that it's a lose-lose situation for them. No matter what they say, someone is going to be unhappy...be it a teammate, coach, or the fans. So they dress up their statements with vague, cookie cutter, cliche, statements.

It's obvious that the Melo talks affected Wil, but the question is, what was done to get him out of his slump? During yesterday's game, when they showed the MDA clip, his answer to the Knicks not playing well was "well...our shots...we're not making....we need to make our shots"

No shit dude. Now when you watch your team go 1-12 in the first 17-18 mins from 3 point range on Wednesday...why do we continue to keep jacking them up? Where's plan-B? Where's the coach? Is he being effected by the Melo talk too and subsequently forgot what the **** he was doing?

Too many excuses. Lack of a game plan. Lack of motivation coming from the top. Too much complaining; not enough coaching.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I concur with The Don. F*cking deal!

I also don't like the fact that our co-captain is voicing excuses. Young team or no, their goal is common. WIN. Regardless of distraction.

tiger0330

Legend
Felton didn't actually say that, he just said he's tired of all the Melo rumors. The guy is fearless, when D'Antoni said he thought a hot Kobe got into the Knicks heads, he said Kobe didn't get into my head.

Wil is another story, he's thinking I am underwater on my mortgage because I bought at the peak, how am I going to sell my house, where am I going to live in Denver. lol

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Well they didn't play too well in January either before we became the front-runner.

Also, Felton needs a rest. Unless Douglas plays well every night, we need a back-up. Mozgov is helping Stoudemire get some rest.

KBlack25

Starter
To clarify:

I don't buy these excuses, I do still think they have to do their job. But I wouldn't doubt that it does ACTUALLY affect them even if I think they need to suck it up...

Just reporting what Ray said.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
To clarify:

I don't buy these excuses, I do still think they have to do their job. But I wouldn't doubt that it does ACTUALLY affect them even if I think they need to suck it up...

Just reporting what Ray said.
They need to look at their bank account and realize what's there is because of a game.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well....just 2 more games until the trade deadline....so I guess it couldve been worst it couldve hung over our heads all season long like The Nets.

After Feb 24 either we have Melo and there are no more distractions or we don't and there is no more distractions since he would likely just sign w/ NY this off season with no one being traded!!!

So suck it boys its almost over!

Dear Raymond Felton, what's hurting our performances is the fact that we don't play one f-ing bit of defense!

Watched the Boston - Miami game last night. I hate both teams, but I gotta admit that was proper basketball, none of that "I let you score a career high and walk straight past me - cause we're gonna outscore you on the other end" BS.

Doc Rivers is the man. He should have been our HC after his time in Orlando. Great coach with the right approach. And his players are delivering, no excuses for not playing defense.

I think Doc did a great job in Orlando. He helped Mike Miller becoming ROY and had a few nice playoff runs when T-Mac was the only really good player he had (Against stacked Bucks and Hornets teams).

The Celtics roster was BS from 2003-2007. Pierce was the only good player they had. Ricky Davis was so busy with doing between the leg dunks ingame, he had no time to play defense...and the reference in the article to that Lafrentz/Blount trade package really shows you how bad the roster was.

Fact is: Winning and losing is not always related to the coach and his mentality. A great coach can't achieve much with a bad roster.

KBlack25

Starter
I think Doc did a great job in Orlando. He helped Mike Miller becoming ROY and had a few nice playoff runs when T-Mac was the only really good player he had (Against stacked Bucks and Hornets teams).

The Celtics roster was BS from 2003-2007. Pierce was the only good player they had. Ricky Davis was so busy with doing between the leg dunks ingame, he had no time to play defense...and the reference in the article to that Lafrentz/Blount trade package really shows you how bad the roster was.

Fact is: Winning and losing is not always related to the coach and his mentality. A great coach can't achieve much with a bad roster.

Are you actually suggesting that the players on the roster have something to do with whether or not the team wins or loses and vicariously the coach's skill and acumen is judged perhaps not on his own ability but on the ability, skill and experience of the players on the roster? What a novel idea! If only someone would tell those people who create 19 "Fire D'Antoni" Threads on a daily basis...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I don't think people are hating on D'Antoni because of his record, but rather because of the way in which we lose (ie playing small lineups against the Lakers, etc.)

It's tough because I don't know if any coaches could do better. I think D'Antoni's system probably suits this roster better than, say, Larry Brown's system, or anything like that, but I still do think we need to address certain issues. I think as they grow and mesh together and practice defense, they'll really improve on that - like the Cavs did, they hadn't ALWAYS been good on defense, but they really improved in LeBron's MVP years to the years prior (the first MVP LeBron won IIRC the Cavs only gave up like 91 PPG)

Red

TYPE-A
I don't think people are hating on D'Antoni because of his record, but rather because of the way in which we lose (ie playing small lineups against the Lakers, etc.)

It's tough because I don't know if any coaches could do better. I think D'Antoni's system probably suits this roster better than, say, Larry Brown's system, or anything like that, but I still do think we need to address certain issues. I think as they grow and mesh together and practice defense, they'll really improve on that - like the Cavs did, they hadn't ALWAYS been good on defense, but they really improved in LeBron's MVP years to the years prior (the first MVP LeBron won IIRC the Cavs only gave up like 91 PPG)

All one needs to know to determine the success (or failure) with coach is this...

2nd in PPG
29th in OPG

In a league where 1/2 make the playoffs its not saying much to get in... not when
*our coach is the highest paid
*our team is one of the most valuable
*our team is still worse defensively than half the league

We can debate the "right fit" for our city, the nuances of this system including the flaws and limitations, even the ancillary effects and byproducts of MDA coaching style and decisions. From acquiring one dimensional players, to burning players out, to unrealized assets, to inflated offensive numbers, etc...

But me, I like to keep it simple. I don't mke excuses. Dantoni lost in PHX because he wasn't good enough to win.
Not because of Horry or Stat getting suspended or whatever (and that was the wcf, not the nba finals)
Those are speculative excuses.

MDA hasn't won at all because of a myriad of reasons, but ultimately because he's not good enough, his approach wasn't good enough, his teams weren't good enough. That simple.

If he or they were he would've won. The better teams did.
Now does that mean he will never, or he can't because he hasn't?

Of course not, every winner has to start somewhere. But again its simple, as Einstein stated, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

MDA's approach and stubborness which has been well documented and on full display is his weakness and his downfall. Downfall meaning is what will be most preventing from being a champion, the best. With an unwillingness to change and adapt, he will be trumped by better coaches with better game plans. Like he has. Simple.

Does that mean he can't produce results? No, it means he will be right there next to 31 other coaches who produced results of varying outcomes, but to be the best, you've got to beat the best. His strategy, I don't care who you are, his cousin, his favorite supporter, can't compete with the elite.

No matter how you slice it, dig up any stat you want, it can't compete. Sure fill the team up with 5 allstars and they can compete but who needs a coach for that? A coach uses limited resources to produce favorable outcomes. MDA has actually done that, just not as good as those better than him.

He's limited. My aspirations for my beloved Knicks aren't.
Agree or not, I'm not satisfied and won't be until the Knicks have a coach that I am confident with has the right approach and puts our players in aposition to win.

Till then I don't want to hear about which players we want (melo cp3 d12 etc...). When we get a coach with a gameplan that rivals the best, and IF our players can't execute, then talk about which upgrades are available.

Getting more players to incorporate into this limited system, with this limited but well paid coach will be futile.

Its like adding a turbo charger to your factory Honda engine, with factory exhaust and factory everything else. It might be a bit faster, but you risk destroying everything else including the engine for a .001 second increase, ultimately putting you back to square one. Its just not worth it.

Actually its more like adding performance tires, carbon hood, brakes and a bunch of other sh*t, but still have the same limited engine. Futile.