Fire D'Antoni!

paris401

Starter
How do you know this? Have you ever been coached by him? Have you ever worked on his staff? Or do you just listen to whatever the media says?

no he never coached me, and no i never worked on his staff... so there is your answer to questions 2 n 3...

and no i don't only listen to the media.. so now i have answered question number 4

now to question number one.. when 'toni was coaching the suns, they played no "D"..none,nada,nil,zilch... and now he is coaching the knicks, and they play no "D"... so putting 2+2 together i come up with 3 which means he ain't coaching "D"..

so thats how i know it...

JayJ44

Starter
no he never coached me, and no i never worked on his staff... so there is your answer to questions 2 n 3...

and no i don't only listen to the media.. so now i have answered question number 4

now to question number one.. when 'toni was coaching the suns, they played no "D"..none,nada,nil,zilch... and now he is coaching the knicks, and they play no "D"... so putting 2+2 together i come up with 3 which means he ain't coaching "D"..

so thats how i know it...

That couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that neither of these teams had good defensive players, could it? Besides, Raja Bell was first-team all defense under D'antoni, so obviously there was some defense being played. You act as if the Suns were a worse defensive team than us, they really weren't that bad considering there was really no defensive minded players on the roster besides Bell.

paris401

Starter
95% of the guys in the nba are athletic (the other 5% are white..haha), and can be taught to play "D".... and on 'toni's teams it is not taught.. and that's the bottom line...

Red

TYPE-A
That couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that neither of these teams had good defensive players, could it? Besides, Raja Bell was first-team all defense under D'antoni, so obviously there was some defense being played. You act as if the Suns were a worse defensive team than us, they really weren't that bad considering there was really no defensive minded players on the roster besides Bell.

yo Jay... Does D'Antoni have what it takes for us to compete, be consistent, and possibly win a championship? Yes or No? (i'm talking, game plan / preperation, being able to develop talent / teach, leadership, savvy, assistants, good communication skills, likeability, fundamentals etc...)

JayJ44

Starter
yo Jay... Does D'Antoni have what it takes for us to compete, be consistent, and possibly win a championship? Yes or No? (i'm talking, game plan / preperation, being able to develop talent / teach, leadership, savvy, assistants, good communication skills, likeability, fundamentals etc...)

It's really difficult to say at this point. IMO, there isn't enough talent on this team to adequately judge him as a coach.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
d'antoni is embarrassing himself out there he should just sit the **** down and watch the game like the rest of us. After a wide open three last night by our defense our coach screams and moans for a foul call to the refs on our end instead of getting into our poor defensive rotations. Keep in mind that that three we gave up made the game 70-52 Lakers which were on a 13-0 run at that moment. I couldn't believe that our coach was that idiotic and ridiculous. I prefer to watch Herb Williams losing teams when he coached than this joke. At least the games were fun back then, I feel that this team doesn't believe in one another and it boils down to the coach. I know he won't get fire but dammit he is coaching to get fire and if he does I want Herb Williams to get the job, the guy has paid his dues and is a true gentlemen.

Paul1355

All Star
d'antoni is embarrassing himself out there he should just sit the **** down and watch the game like the rest of us. After a wide open three last night by our defense our coach screams and moans for a foul call to the refs on our end instead of getting into our poor defensive rotations. Keep in mind that that three we gave up made the game 70-52 Lakers which were on a 13-0 run at that moment. I couldn't believe that our coach was that idiotic and ridiculous. I prefer to watch Herb Williams losing teams when he coached than this joke. At least the games were fun back then, I feel that this team doesn't believe in one another and it boils down to the coach. I know he won't get fire but dammit he is coaching to get fire and if he does I want Herb Williams to get the job, the guy has paid his dues and is a true gentlemen.
i agree, I think D'Antoni just argues to not look so bad.

He knows his team sucks and is embarrassing so he makes it like the refs are the problem when the problem is really his inability to teach defense and realize that the rookies should play more minutes.

AlboKnickFan

Benchwarmer
Mike D`Antoni will be fired at the end of this season guys.!!!

Why do you think Walsh hired him? It is not rocket science. Come on man.

Walsh knew and we all knew that NY knicks will be a very bad team in 2008/09 and 2010. So in order to at least make the Garden look more exciting he hired an offense oriented coach. Trust me when we sign some big players and when we develop those young players like Gallo and Douglas, DAntoni will be out of here.

With the signing of some free nice free agents in 2010 and with the development of Gallo and Douglas, the Knicks with Walsh look to be a contender in the EAST ( at least), with D`Antoni they know they could never win the championship, especially the Eastern Conference.

Paul1355

All Star
Mike D`Antoni will be fired at the end of this season guys.!!!

Why do you think Walsh hired him? It is not rocket science. Come on man.

Walsh knew and we all knew that NY knicks will be a very bad team in 2008/09 and 2010. So in order to at least make the Garden look more exciting he hired an offense oriented coach. Trust me when we sign some big players and when we develop those young players like Gallo and Douglas, DAntoni will be out of here.

With the signing of some free nice free agents in 2010 and with the development of Gallo and Douglas, the Knicks with Walsh look to be a contender in the EAST ( at least), with D`Antoni they know they could never win the championship, especially the Eastern Conference.

No Mike D is staying atleast for one year with a big free agent. We know that Mike D wins with good players so lets see how it works out.

You really think Walsh is going to sign him for 4 years and 4 million a year and expect to fire him after year 2??? No way, Walsh is all about saving, he reminds me of the old fashion Italian people in my family, buy cheap and save.

Mike D is riding this out until his contract ends. We know he is a players coach and we know he can't teach defense, so odds are we get a defensive assistant coach. Or sign a big shot blocker, which we have to do.

KBlack25

Starter
I haven't read through the entire thread, but one question that comes to my mind is:

What good does firing Mike D'Antoni do? What real benefit is derived from it?

If we fired him tomorrow, as some people on this board will rejoice, and we hire ANY coach in the entire world, whomever you guys decide is best, are we winning the championship this year? Are we making the playoffs? Are we even competitive? This team does not have enough talent, period. It would be completely and utterly pointless to fire D'Antoni now, it doesn't make fiscal sense and it doesn't make basketball sense.

If anything, firing Mike D'Antoni is bad because stingy Dolan will be paying D'Antoni and another coaches' contract (and likely new assistant coach contracts). That sucks money out of Dolan and makes him less likely to spend good money on any coach you guys would want anyway. Dolan won't want to pay two coaches big money, he already wasted a ton of cash on Larry Brown. It's just nonsensical and overreactive.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Indeed. It's not like D'Antoni is the problem with the team right now. The problem with the team right now is the leftover mess of Isiah Thomas and his crap players (except for Wilson Chandler, the rest of them can go screw themselves) and his crap moves that have us sitting in the gutter until 2011

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Indeed. It's not like D'Antoni is the problem with the team right now.

How is it not his fault? Other teams with less talent are winning more than us and it boils down to coaching. Look at the Houston Rockets, who the hell do they got? Rick Adelman has done an incredible job with that team over the years most of the time without McGrady/Yao. They even had a 22 game winning streak without those two. Even this season they're 8-7 in the West with only role players. We have role players but our coach is too stupid enough to have this bunch shot 35 three pointers on some nights.

Let me give you examples of his bad coaching just last night:

Jordan Hill plays only 9 minutes (had 2 block shots, team had 3)

Again we shot 10-39 from three-point range, this bullshit is not working!

Open the second half with Harrington, Lee, Hughes, Robinson, Duhon! This clearly shows he's in desperation mode and has no clue what he is doing. That team that started the second half was down 8 points, five minutes into the 3rd quarter, game was a 20 point lead with his "leaders" of the team.

This is all coaching to me and he has to be held accountable for the mess too. Let the young guys play dammit and let them make mistakes. You can't pull a rookie out because he has a bad night, give him confidence. Maybe he thinks Duhon is a rookie, I wouldn't be surprise the way he plays him, our "Captain" :confused:.

mafra

Legend
I decided after last night's humiliating blowout (YEAH, SACRAMENTO had an 18 home losing streak against Eastern Conf. teams snapped last night in a game they led wire-to-wire, and led by over 12 points almost the entire game).... I decided that coach D'ant is a horrbile coach.

HEY, I understand we don't really have much talent. I understand in practically every game we play our opponent has the better front court and the better PG. FINE. I get it.

BUT, there are teams (now and in the past) with less talent who are at least more competitive and play with more basketball smarts.

FOR EXAMPLE, this team came prepared and ready to play againts the Nets (they were embarassed they would lose to a winless, crossriver rival) and against BOS (an enemy this team hates).

Why could they bring the intensity for those two games, but then come out flat like they did last night in Sactown?

It's a disgrace to allow the Kings to score 91 points in 3 quarters, get owned in the pain and on the boards. HEY, I get playing back-2-back, and I now most nights are shots aren't falling.... but you still can hustle and you still can defend.

SO.... this is clue #1 that the coach is a serious joke.

BUT, the real reason why D'ant is a joke is his offense.

LOOK, I get on players like Chandler, Harrington, Duhon and all for being lazy and settling for 28-footers... not working the offense for a better shot, or for battling and taking it to the rim- but can we now admit that coach has given up on this team?

It seems like D'ant is fine with this: Dribble up, cross halfcourt, maybe make one pass on the perimeter and chuck up a 3-point shot (even if the people shooting it are terrible shooters and average a low 20% from down deep).

HOW IS THIS AN OFFENSE?

At one point last night we were like 5-27 from 3. Sac announcer was laughing and stated: "They may take a lot of threes, but that doesn't mean they make a lot of them. This is great. Let them keep taking those shots."

The whole idea of SSOL is to maximize your possessions, but does that infer that your team needs 5 possessions to hit one 3 pointer? I'm not Euclid, but according to that math D'ant is a moron.

D'ant doesn't have the talent, the PG or the shooters to run his offense. He should adjust. This cats should be forced to work the ball around, make passes, and take the best shot they can.

How often does the other team score, we take a quick 29-footer, then the other team is off and running. We play no defense, do not rebound and certainly don't want to run.

This is a disaster. I can handle losing. But I can't watch this mess.

COACH D'ant has given up. I want to think he's not totally crazy.... that he's only playing these people b/c we want to trade them. But the catch-22 is the more they play the less likely it is we can trade them.

Duhon and Jeffries have zero value right now.

So play the kids (and that even means Landry).

KBlack25

Starter
How is it not his fault? Other teams with less talent are winning more than us and it boils down to coaching. Look at the Houston Rockets, who the hell do they got? Rick Adelman has done an incredible job with that team over the years most of the time without McGrady/Yao. They even had a 22 game winning streak without those two. Even this season they're 8-7 in the West with only role players. We have role players but our coach is too stupid enough to have this bunch shot 35 three pointers on some nights.

1) The Rockets have one of the best rebounders in the league in Luis Scola, they have a solid swingman by the name of Trevor Ariza and one of the best defensive stoppers in the league in Shane Battier (who, based on defensive statistics kept by NBA teams is one of the best defensive players in the league). They have Aaron Brooks, a PG that can score and dish, a PG I would take over any of the three PGs the Knicks currently have. The Knicks have, without a doubt, the worst roster in the league right now by a long shot. If you don't believe that, you are ignorant.

2) The Rockets had McGrady for the 22 game run.

Please do your research.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
When DUHON is the one who has to step up and say "Hey we're horsing around before the game even begins...that's why we lost"

That tells you D'Antoni has lost complete control over the team. He gave the players too much flexibility.

Just saying.

I don't want him fired just yet but he is losing his grip and control of the team rather quickly, wouldn't you say? We're only 2 games into the season...and already we have players basically admitting we're ill prepared.

THAT FALLS ON THE HEAD COACH!

Duhon needs to take himself out of the game, he is gun shy from shooting, does not make it anyway and can not guard the top guard on another team, Hughes has to. I don't like the coaching style, to many favorites with Duhon and Gallo in there way too many minutes, but when you pick a guy, its a 3 or 4 year commitment, if wins are not increasing by then, you get rid of him. The Knicks blew draft picks for several years before this coach and he got crap, and now it is haunting them. Lebron is not coming here for there is nobody for him to play with? Gallo? Duhon? Harrington? Lee? Come on, he isn't going to play with that cast nor will many others in the league that are top tier want to play with LeBron (he doesn't pass much and plays like he is still at St. Vincent's). Please, don't give me an assist stat, for he has the ball on every possession, take that it to account, he is a ball hog and found the "M" and "E" in team. Plus, where is the Cavs Ring? Pretty good surrounding cast also. Go for two top tier young players other than Lebron, then you can build something. Nobody is going to coach this team anywhere, for besides Hughes, nobody even knows how to play defense and he has a dozen years in and at the end of his career. Robinson may score 35, but his assignment scores 38. Too much emphasis on offense and this team stinks. Gallo can only hit when wide open jumpers are given and has some bad hands. Wonder if we have more wins than last year? New guys look like fresh college kids that have a long, long way to go for the NBA style game. Not sure if either will even make it 4 years (NBA average is 3.5). I would have taken A.I. for the entertainment value, him and Hughes played point and two guard for several years together at Philly. Plus, here is a guy for no cost will give you 25 a night from outside. The Knicks have no inside game. It will come, but it's going to be a long wait, at least the Knicks have true fans, otherwise they would be moving to Wyoming.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
1) The Rockets have one of the best rebounders in the league in Luis Scola, they have a solid swingman by the name of Trevor Ariza and one of the best defensive stoppers in the league in Shane Battier (who, based on defensive statistics kept by NBA teams is one of the best defensive players in the league). They have Aaron Brooks, a PG that can score and dish, a PG I would take over any of the three PGs the Knicks currently have. The Knicks have, without a doubt, the worst roster in the league right now by a long shot. If you don't believe that, you are ignorant.

2) The Rockets had McGrady for the 22 game run.

Please do your research.

OK d'antoni is doing a great job! :pong: Look at the conference that they are playing, don't you think that the Rockets have over achieve? Luis Scola? Brooks? Battier all role players without a superstar. That is the same team that made it to the 7th game of the semis vs Lakers without Yao and McGrady. Adelman has done a great job while d'antoni has been horrible, his record during the last 88 Knick games is 29-59. That is 30 games under .500. Do the math and your research.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
OK d'antoni is doing a great job! :pong: Look at the conference that they are playing, don't you think that the Rockets have over achieve? Luis Scola? Brooks? Battier all role players without a superstar. That is the same team that made it to the 7th game of the semis vs Lakers without Yao and McGrady. Adelman has done a great job while d'antoni has been horrible, his record during the last 88 Knick games is 29-59. That is 30 games under .500. Do the math and your research.

1) I didn't say D'Antoni is doing a great job. You are putting words in my mouth. I don't agree with his rotations, and the way this draft was bumbled by him and his coaching staff really floors me. All I'm saying is that firing D'Antoni would accomplish exactly zero. It'd leave us coach-less AND player-less. Who do you want, all wise and mighty ARod? Tell me, who do you want to coach this team, name anyone. Then try and realistically tell me that that coach with this horrid roster would do any sort of damage. I don't care if God Himself coached this team, the worst roster in the NBA is going nowhere.

2) Luis Scola is one of the hottest rebounding prospects in the last decade. He's like David Lee if David Lee played defense and was better at basketball. Watch basketball.

3) Shane Battier may not put up numbers, but in terms of basketball IQ and immeasurable (or hard to measure) statistics, he's right up there with the best. Watch basketball. If you knew what you were watching, you would see how this guy changes games with his presence on the floor.

4) Aaron Brooks is a good player, and as I said, is better than Duhon, Douglas and Robinson. If you are saying you wouldn't give up any of those 3 for Brooks, you are foolish.

5) It's obvious you don't know basketball Mr. "The Rockets didn't have T-Mac for the 22 game run, even though a simple google search will prove me wrong!". If you actually knew what you were talking about, you would realize you are a ****ing idiot.

Up reading Bill Simmons, thought I'd add this:

Important note: Why spend a gazillion dollars on Mike D'Antoni if you weren't going to give him a roster of D'Antoni guys? Would Jordan Hill have ever played on the 2005 or 2006 Suns? Of course not. Would Lawson have played on those teams? Of course. The pick was Lawson. Unless you wanted to swing for the 475-foot fences with Jennings. Not Donnie Walsh's finest hour.)

The roster isn't built for D'Antoni's system. Hate him all you want, but this team being awful can not fall squarely on his shoulders. Make him the scapegoat, do what you will, but the fact is D'Antoni has been given a ton of players who don't quite fit into his system. Why? Because perhaps, in order to rebuild, in order to have these expiring deals now, this was the only option.

Last edited:

pat

Starter
The roster isn't built for D'Antoni's system. Hate him all you want, but this team being awful can not fall squarely on his shoulders. Make him the scapegoat, do what you will, but the fact is D'Antoni has been given a ton of players who don't quite fit into his system. Why? Because perhaps, in order to rebuild, in order to have these expiring deals now, this was the only option.

Co-signed 100%. One of the main reason for this past decade's misery is that the Knicks organisation never developed any kind of stability. It is obvious that there are no quick-fixes for this mess.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
1) I didn't say D'Antoni is doing a great job. You are putting words in my mouth. I don't agree with his rotations, and the way this draft was bumbled by him and his coaching staff really floors me. All I'm saying is that firing D'Antoni would accomplish exactly zero. It'd leave us coach-less AND player-less. Who do you want, all wise and mighty ARod? Tell me, who do you want to coach this team, name anyone. Then try and realistically tell me that that coach with this horrid roster would do any sort of damage. I don't care if God Himself coached this team, the worst roster in the NBA is going nowhere.

2) Luis Scola is one of the hottest rebounding prospects in the last decade. He's like David Lee if David Lee played defense and was better at basketball. Watch basketball.

3) Shane Battier may not put up numbers, but in terms of basketball IQ and immeasurable (or hard to measure) statistics, he's right up there with the best. Watch basketball. If you knew what you were watching, you would see how this guy changes games with his presence on the floor.

4) Aaron Brooks is a good player, and as I said, is better than Duhon, Douglas and Robinson. If you are saying you wouldn't give up any of those 3 for Brooks, you are foolish.

5) It's obvious you don't know basketball Mr. "The Rockets didn't have T-Mac for the 22 game run, even though a simple google search will prove me wrong!". If you actually knew what you were talking about, you would realize you are a ****ing idiot.

Up reading Bill Simmons, thought I'd add this:

You sucking on d'antoni's nuts too much BITCH
...The fact of the matter is that great coaches win with marginal players, I'm not saying that this team was assembled to win the championship but .500 was the goal for this team or at least close to it. Are we heading that path? We are sure not, the problem I have with you is that you keep saying is only the players fault, well to me and others on this board is our coach. He is clueless and desperation mode 15 games in. Get the dick of your mouth while watching the games maricon!