Galloway and Dalembert Internet Rumors

Most recent internet rumors have us calling up Langston Galloway from the Westchester Knicks to join our current NBA roster. Even if you don't watch the D-League games, you probably remember Galloway from the Summer League/training camp. He went undrafted out of St. Joseph's where he was a prolific scorer and 3-point shooter. He is 23 years old after being a 4 year college player. Word is that the goal would be to see what he could do as a triangle offense point guard, which is what he has been working on in the D-league.

On the flip side, rumor is also that we may be cutting Dalembert since the salary repercussions of doing so would be nil.

if both these rumors are true, I totally agree with the decisions by PJ. At 5 - 30 and with Melo possibly shutting it down, pushing out a rotation based around Early, Aldrich, THJ, Shump (if healthy), Larkin, Acy, Wear, and now Galloway, seems like the only thing left potentially interesting for us to watch this year.

tiger0330

Legend
Wear to my surprise is someone that they are considering waiving to create that roster spot, his contract becomes guaranteed on 1/10. Fans have to endure a whole season of this to watch a bunch of undrafted rookies and to see who we get in the draft. :(

I said it was a poor business decision to hire Phil Jackson and so far he's been a bust.

tiger0330

Legend
They had Galloway playing SG and Barrett playing the point in the game I was at. I thought that it would be tough to make it as 6'2" SG while I was watching him and why is he playing SG if his natural position is PG. The triangle is a crock if PJ thinks it can turn a guy into a PG when he ain't one.

Not sure if this is going to work but he is the best shooter they have in the DLeague and the guy I thought they would call up first despite Ante getting the most attention.

Wear to my surprise is someone that they are considering waiving to create that roster spot, his contract becomes guaranteed on 1/10. Fans have to endure a whole season of this to watch a bunch of undrafted rookies and to see who we get in the draft. :(

I said it was a poor business decision to hire Phil Jackson and so far he's been a bust.

I would be disappointed to see the Knicks waive Wear, but in the long run, I think most of what happens between now and the end of the year on this roster will likely be completely inconsequential for next year.

They had Galloway playing SG and Barrett playing the point in the game I was at. I thought that it would be tough to make it as 6'2" SG while I was watching him and why is he playing SG if his natural position is PG. The triangle is a crock if PJ thinks it can turn a guy into a PG when he ain't one.

Not sure if this is going to work but he is the best shooter they have in the DLeague and the guy I thought they would call up first despite Ante getting the most attention.

Ante did not look even close to me to be able to play offensively in the NBA last time I watched a Westchester game. He would have to bring a Josh Smith type game to the court for me to want to see him getting any NBA minutes. Our offense is ugly enough already. As far as Galloway, I think in the triangle, he would be expected to take some shots and play defense, but not necessarily be a primary ball handler, despite the title of PG. Between Calderon, Prigs, and Larkin, half the time I can't tell who the PG is now.

Kiyaman

Legend
Ante did not look even close to me to be able to play offensively in the NBA last time I watched a Westchester game. He would have to bring a Josh Smith type game to the court for me to want to see him getting any NBA minutes. Our offense is ugly enough already. As far as Galloway, I think in the triangle, he would be expected to take some shots and play defense, but not necessarily be a primary ball handler, despite the title of PG. Between Calderon, Prigs, and Larkin, half the time I can't tell who the PG is now.

If Ante could bring half of what his brother brings to the Bucks, which is consistent hustle DEFENSE.
The Knicks lack defense

Here's a good writeup about Galloway that includes some highlight videos of him. Someone has to go to make room for this kid.

www.postingandtoasting.com/2014/12/31/7474319/langston-galloway-is-making-a-name-for-himself-in-westchester

Great write-up, thanks for the link. If they release Dalembert, I guess that could be the spot, but it be would be strange to drop a big man to make room for a guard. If someone else has to go, I guess as previously mentioned, it would be Wear, but I think that's a shame. Wear can create his own shot and has some size and is very cheap. Any which way, we're probably talking about back of the rotation guys at best.

tiger0330

Legend
Pretty sure it will be Dally. He's guaranteed 1.8M of his 3.8M contract. If they don't release him by the 1/10 they owe him the whole 3.8M, I'd say he's as good as gone if Phil thinks Galloway has any potential.

Kiyaman

Legend
Pretty sure it will be Dally. He's guaranteed 1.8M of his 3.8M contract. If they don't release him by the 1/10 they owe him the whole 3.8M, I'd say he's as good as gone if Phil thinks Galloway has any potential.

Didn't we start the season having to many guards to give minutes to
1) Calderon next season $7.4M
2) Prig next-season $1.7M
3) Larkins
4) JR next-season $6.3M
5) Shump
6) THJ next-season $1.3M

Doesn't next-season contract guards suppose to b working on a chemistry this season?
Wsup, with Fisher giving PG-Larkins 23 minutes per in 33 straight games?
plus minutes in close crunchtime games .. sounds like Woody's playintime to rookie THJ

jzero29

Rotation player
I like underdog stories, so bring him up Galloway, but realistically my expectations are low, he's small, playing well against smaller,slower,less athletic competition in the D-league. Sometimes it just doesn't translate to NBA talent. Sort of like Doug Flutie, Great College and CFL player not so much NFL.
But there are successful small combo guards. By successful I mean able to compete and keep a job in NBA. So bring him up, who knows maybe we'll finally get lucky. Cautiously optimistic.
Note on triangle offense and Galloway as PG...they say you don't need an amazing PG to run triangle, just a reliable shooter to help keep defense honest. Carmelo will still dominate the ball when he wants...maybe Galloway could have a role. He can shoot...against D-league players.

I'm an optimist, To early to judge a GM, given the state of the knicks team he took over.
Sure, I agree Chandler for Calderone hasn't worked in our favor. But He had a lot of dead weight on his Roster, like Felton who is gone(he was typical avg pg. that over valued his own offense, could run an offense when he wanted but was lazy and so not clutch)... NBA you can waive guys all you want, they still count towards the salary cap.
So far, the knicks stripped their contract obligations to a bare minimum and are putting themselves in position for a great draft pick...yes it's a lost year...and yes he could have engineered a team to compete for a playoff spot, maybe even win a playoff birth that would undoubtedly end up with the Knicks getting creamed 1st round by an actual good team.
Lets see next 2 years then judge. I think PJ's third year will be the best sample size to judge.

Last edited:

paris401

Starter
he could have engineered a team to compete for a playoff spot, maybe even win a playoff birth that would undoubtedly end up with the Knicks getting creamed 1st round by an actual good team.
Lets see next 2 years then judge.

I 'thought' that jax was of the opinion that we 'were' a playoff team... not a contender for a title, but would make the playoffs...

it would have made his sales pitch to potential FA's somewhat easier... at this point all he will have is whomever they draft, and a bagful of $$$$... good luck attracting a top FA with this roster of trash

jzero29

Rotation player
I 'thought' that jax was of the opinion that we 'were' a playoff team... not a contender for a title, but would make the playoffs...

it would have made his sales pitch to potential FA's somewhat easier... at this point all he will have is whomever they draft, and a bagful of $$$$... good luck attracting a top FA with this roster of trash
Of course you have to say that, as a GM with carmelo on the team...pretty sure Avg talent can make the playoffs with a healthy Melo. current knicks are below avg with a hurt melo.

To be honest, besides Lebron and Bosch, not many free agent superstars don't follow the money. Which means usually they just resign with team. because they think they are the guy who draws talent that can win. The money is always best with their first team.

Then some of the "really good" but not superstar free agents let talent guide them, but most follow the money. Because they know they are valuable and can be that missing piece for your team or your opponent...and can only make so much $ each contract, they have limited high value time to cash in.

The slightly "above avg" crew will follow talent, if the money is right. because they can't do it on their own. they are not gonna get max contract. But still tend to follow the money.

the crafty veteran crew is the only crew that will follow talent. they usually get a decent contract and in many cases already made the most they're gonna make. So they're willing to take a pay cut to get a ring.

So by next year, if PJ is worth his salt, knicks will be a competitive team, with some big money FA and a developing rookie star, the following year will bring the free agents who follow talent....thats why it's to early to judge. Lets see who he signs and who he drafts...then who comes in his 3rd year.
yr1 take out garbage...can't judge
yr2 build competetive roster...can start to see where the knicks are at, partial judgment.
yr3 fill the gaps with veteran talent...fully open for judgment...judge away.

Last edited: