Game Thread: New York Knicks @ Atlanta Hawks 3:00 pm 1/29/2017 [Game#49]

mafra

Legend
Milsap misses the FT,
NY Rebounds It, somehow they call a jump ball....

KUZ misses a wide open WHG and makes a terrible pass....
Killer.

tiger0330

Legend
Milsap is a warrior. Guy has played 60 mins and he guts it out and gets that OR right out from under a rested WHG and gets the bucket.

mafra

Legend
LEE throws it away.

Would love to see the FT disparity in these 4 OTs.... still can't fathom
How there was no technical
Called on schroeder.... or how CA and Lee didn't get call. Killer
Lose. Or how Howard wasn't thrown out (like Melo was the last time they played).
Third brutal loss to ATL.

tiger0330

Legend
Damn CLee misses not one but 2 3 pt shots in the last 7. Shot one from left side missed, rebounded his own miss and ran out to the right side to attempt another 3 which he missed.

Great game and effort by the Knicks. I agree with Mafra, refs screwed us they took 40 fts to the Knicks 23 and the most blatant to me was Schroder slamming that ball into the ground with the ref standing right there and he doesn't get called for a T.

mafra

Legend
Damn CLee misses not one but 2 3 pt shots in the last 7. Shot one from left side missed, rebounded his own miss and ran out to the left side to attempt another 3 which he missed.

Great game and effort by the Knicks. I agree with Mafra, refs screwed us they took 40 fts to the Knicks 23 and the most blatant to me was Schroder slamming that ball into the ground with the ref standing right there and he doesn't get called for a T.

Especially when it was something like 23 FT to 11, NYK had the advantage, up until the 4th.

In essence, it was 30:2 in the 4th and 4 OTs.

Broadway

All Star
LEE throws it away.

Would love to see the FT disparity in these 4 OTs.... still can't fathom
How there was no technical
Called on schroeder.... or how CA and Lee didn't get call. Killer
Lose. Or how Howard wasn't thrown out (like Melo was the last time they played).
Third brutal loss to ATL.

This loss wasn't that bad...IMO it was a horrible win for ATL and I mean maybe the worst I've ever witnessed from any team in NBA history. Knicks showed heart and fought and fought and fought, came up short on a few plays. Close games as we continue to play them will probably result in us losing because we're not that solid of a team. This loss doesn't set us back in any way. Hopefully Cleveland starts talks back up for Melo after tonight's performance.

The Hawks are garbage, a very fake team and they will regret not trading away Paul Milsap

mafra

Legend
This loss wasn't that bad...IMO it was a horrible win for ATL and I mean maybe the worst I've ever witnessed from any team in NBA history. Knicks showed heart and fought and fought and fought, came up short on a few plays. Close games as we continue to play them will probably result in us losing because we're not that solid of a team. This loss doesn't set us back in any way. Hopefully Cleveland starts talks back up for Melo after tonight's performance.

The Hawks are garbage, a very fake team and they will regret not trading away Paul Milsap

True. The reserves fought hard and forced 2 extra overtime periods. LEE and BJ played well, and perhaps they make themselves trade commodities.

Melo was fantastic.... the idea Love is better is laughable. He's been on fire lately.

For us fans, each loss is closer to a higher draft pick.

I meant brutal b/c these vets see the writing on the wall, and are fighting for the 4-6th seed, and this loss pretty much killed those dreams. Plus, closer NY is to playoffs the easier it is to bluff and demand more....

And, if we can't trade Melo, I would rather make the playoffs instead
Of getting the 12th pick.

Which is why....
If we cannot trade Melo....
Anthony and KP should be "rested" and play little down the stretch...
Increase our ping pong odds.

I know that we know that Melo doesn't at all equate to actually winning basketball games, but still, if PJ gives Melo away for nothing, like pretty much every other one of his trades, it is literally the only thing left that could make us an even bigger laughingstock

mafra

Legend
Milsap played physically for 60 minutes and refs only called 4 fouls on him. I guess the all-star benefitted from home court calls.

He should've been called for 3 fouls on melo's game-tying drive to the hope at end of regulation.

Meanwhile, the entire NYK
Front court fouled out.... Noah-KP-Melo.

mafra

Legend
FYI.... start of the 4th Q. through the end of the game.... the FT disparity was 26:4 (in favor of ATL).

TWENTY-SIX to FOUR !!!

Noah took 2 FTs w/ 6:55 to go in the 4th quarter.... Knicks didn't attempt another FT until :10 seconds left in the third OT!

The refs basically let aTL foul with impunity for 21 minutes of game action!!!!

So, to recap, the refs refused to toss Howard for a blatant flagrant-2.... if that was Melo.... he would've been tossed.

Then, in the 3rd OT.... ref blindly ignores the rule and let's Schroeder toss ball into the crowd.

Melo was fouled at end of regulation and end of 1st OT.... Lee was fouled at end of 3rd OT; none of these 3 calls were made.

Here's the FT disparity:

4th Q: 12-2 (ATL advantage).
1st OT: 5-0 (ATL advantage)
2nd OT: 5-0 (ATL advantage)
3rd OT: 0-2 (NYK advantage)
4th OT: 4-0 (ATL advantage)

Game ended with a 40:23 ATL FT advantage.... but, explain to me, how does it turn around after 3 quarters?

NYK had FT disparity edge at about 19-8 at one point.... the advantage favored NY after 3 quarters, at a 19-14 edge....

So, refs basically went from 19-8 favoring NY.... to finishing the game 32-4 edge in favor of ATL?

Again....start of 4th thru 4 OT, ATL had a 26-4 FT edge.... in a game that was being officiated to a tune where NY had the edge thru 3 quarters.

So, what happened?

Did they stop calling fouls on ATL? Did we just start making dumb fouls?

Broadway

All Star
FYI.... start of the 4th Q. through the end of the game.... the FT disparity was 26:4 (in favor of ATL).

TWENTY-SIX to FOUR !!!

Noah took 2 FTs w/ 6:55 to go in the 4th quarter.... Knicks didn't attempt another FT until :10 seconds left in the third OT!

The refs basically let aTL foul with impunity for 21 minutes of game action!!!!

So, to recap, the refs refused to toss Howard for a blatant flagrant-2.... if that was Melo.... he would've been tossed.

Then, in the 3rd OT.... ref blindly ignores the rule and let's Schroeder toss ball into the crowd.

Melo was fouled at end of regulation and end of 1st OT.... Lee was fouled at end of 3rd OT; none of these 3 calls were made.

Here's the FT disparity:

4th Q: 12-2 (ATL advantage).
1st OT: 5-0 (ATL advantage)
2nd OT: 5-0 (ATL advantage)
3rd OT: 0-2 (NYK advantage)
4th OT: 4-0 (ATL advantage)

Game ended with a 40:23 ATL FT advantage.... but, explain to me, how does it turn around after 3 quarters?

NYK had FT disparity edge at about 19-8 at one point.... the advantage favored NY after 3 quarters, at a 19-14 edge....

So, refs basically went from 19-8 favoring NY.... to finishing the game 32-4 edge in favor of ATL?

Again....start of 4th thru 4 OT, ATL had a 26-4 FT edge.... in a game that was being officiated to a tune where NY had the edge thru 3 quarters.

So, what happened?

Did they stop calling fouls on ATL? Did we just start making dumb fouls?

Another terribly called game by you know who but Maf to be objective and less emotional Knicks shot 51 3pt attempts to ATL's 31...you know what this suggest? 1 team forced the hand of incompetency and the other didn't enough. I mean besides Melo who really on the team showed a consistent level of aggressive play in the paint or inside the perimeter?

I'll wait...

Raptors shot 10fta more than the Magic today...got the home cookin and lost, you got an explanation for this?

I'll wait...

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
NYK only had 24 points in the paint.... they scored 139 points.... so, yeah, NYK didn't exactly force the issue.

Still, doesn't explain how calls flipped 19-8 in favor of NY to 30-4 in favor of ATL.

4 or 5 no-calls prevents 8 FT for NY, then 4-5 ticky tack calls award ATL 8 FTs and that's pretty much how that disparity arose, more so than style of play.

Again.... ATL shot 26 free throws from 4th quarter in.... only shot 14 in the first 36 minutes. Their offense didn't drastically change, did it?

Just look at the foul Melo fouled out on. Terrible. Some of the fouls ATL got in the first 2 OTs were phantom fouls.

- Howard not thrown out even after refs reviewed it.

- Schroeder obviously deserved a technical. By rule.

These 2 Instances alone were major failures by officials to enforce basic NBa rules.

Then Melo was fouled at end of regulation and end of 1st OT and Lee was fouled at end of 3rd OT....

Melo drive hard on Milsap, Forces the issue, but the incompetent refs are the whistle.

Melo forces issue again, and same
thing Hardaway did to Melo on this play.... was then called on Melo for doing to Schroeder. So, issue was forced by both teams but melo didn't get call and schroeder did.

How do you explain 3 no-calls?

It's not a conspiracy but NYK lost bc of the poor officiating. NY still had plenty of chances to win.... despite the zebras.... but it's hard to watch those OTs and not admit that the calls/no-calls tilted the outcome in 1 direction.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
NYK only had 24 points in the paint.... they scored 139 points.... so, yeah, NYK didn't exactly force the issue.

Still, doesn't explain how calls flipped 19-8 in favor of NY to 30-4 in favor of ATL.

4 or 5 no-calls prevents 8 FT for NY, then 4-5 ticky tack calls award ATL 8 FTs and that's pretty much how that disparity arose, more so than style of play.

Again.... ATL shot 26 free throws from 4th quarter in.... only shot 14 in the first 36 minutes. Their offense didn't drastically change, did it?

Just look at the foul Melo fouled out on. Terrible. Some of the fouls ATL got in the first 2 OTs were phantom fouls.

- Howard not thrown out even after refs reviewed it.

- Schroeder obviously deserved a technical. By rule.

These 2 Instances alone were major failures by officials to enforce basic NBa rules.

Then Melo was fouled at end of regulation and end of 1st OT and Lee was fouled at end of 3rd OT....

Melo drive hard on Milsap, Forces the issue, but the incompetent refs are the whistle.

Melo forces issue again, and same
thing Hardaway did to Melo on this play.... was then called on Melo for doing to Schroeder. So, issue was forced by both teams but melo didn't get call and schroeder did.

How do you explain 3 no-calls?

It's not a conspiracy but NYK lost bc of the poor officiating. NY still had plenty of chances to win.... despite the zebras.... but it's hard to watch those OTs and not admit that the calls/no-calls tilted the outcome in 1 direction.

Being that 4OTs were played no team truly had an advantage over the other, although this might be the strongest case of complaint in games we played this yr of the inconsistency. Bigger question is how many more games left of the 33 remaining will you see it any other way? I mean yr after yr after yr after yr same unprofessionals calling this game and you'll be one to sit through 4qtrs plus extra of hard to watch basketball? Doesn't make sense! At what point does it become unwatchable? The only constant in recent yrs has been Melo, many things have changed in the organization except Melo and Dolan and Dolan has all but disappeared.

I bet you your best conspiracy story things will change when we do the obvious. Until then expect to watch the same predictable script. Even after today as bad as they were, they still aren't our main problem.

What's up with #kporzee this yr? He's been a disappointment to say the least. I see no leap or jump in his play, absolutely none unlike say Jokic from Denver and to a degree Towns and Turner. We need something from within to change our fortunes, this is our only hope. Why did WHG only play spot minutes?

mafra

Legend
Watch Melo go to CLE and get all the calls. The refs weren't terribly awful today, it's just that the majority of bad calls / bad non-calls really hurt the Knicks.

These calls stand out more in close games, and are harder to overcome when they happen late b/c there's less time to make them up.

Even Hornachek talked about the calls afterwards.... still, it wasn't the reason why Kuz missed a wide open WHG that would've tied it, or why Lee missed the shot.

I have no clue why WHG played only 5 minutes (in a 68 minute game), especially when we needed some offense with Rose out.... developing WHG is almost more important than winning these games. This is on the HC, unless something happened in practice that he didn't like.... no excuse.

Man, as much as I like KP.... it still burns we missed out on KAT. KP is in a funk bc so much of his game is based on the perimeter. He's a few years away from being elite b/c he needs to improve his post offense. Other than the putback slam or stop-&-pop,
He has zero interior moves.

I think not having guards who can get him easy buckets really hurts.... see that awful pass by Holiday that set KP up for the charge.

Still...the constant the last 17 seasons is Dolan.... he simply refuses to rebuild, which is crazy bc the fans support bad product for nearly 2 decades....

Gonna be fascinating to see what happens at trade deadline and again this summer.

Just like what happened first few months of Walsh determined this team's fate for a decade,
So too will the moves the next few months....

Get jaylen brown and another young player and 2 first round picks for Melo and we are golden.

As painful as it is to watch these Knicks, ultimately sports is just entertainment. I get NBA pass for free and already have sirius Xm...

Of course, my family Would prefer me being in a better mood,
B/c I'm always cranky for an hour after a loss.... but old habits die hard.

tiger0330

Legend
Being that 4OTs were played no team truly had an advantage over the other, although this might be the strongest case of complaint in games we played this yr of the inconsistency. Bigger question is how many more games left of the 33 remaining will you see it any other way? I mean yr after yr after yr after yr same unprofessionals calling this game and you'll be one to sit through 4qtrs plus extra of hard to watch basketball? Doesn't make sense! At what point does it become unwatchable? The only constant in recent yrs has been Melo, many things have changed in the organization except Melo and Dolan and Dolan has all but disappeared.

I bet you your best conspiracy story things will change when we do the obvious. Until then expect to watch the same predictable script. Even after today as bad as they were, they still aren't our main problem.

What's up with #kporzee this yr? He's been a disappointment to say the least. I see no leap or jump in his play, absolutely none unlike say Jokic from Denver and to a degree Towns and Turner. We need something from within to change our fortunes, this is our only hope. Why did WHG only play spot minutes?
You make it sound like KP is a bust, most of his shooting numbers are up from his rookie year, FT% is slightly down but his numbers are up across the board. He needs a better post game but I blame that on the Knicks for bringing him along slowly, being content to let him improve his perimeter skills but I think they emphasize post play at some point.

I do like Jokic, I heard a comment that he was the most skilled big man in the game even better than Cousins. Not sure I would go that far but he has improved I think more than KP has from last season. Towns remains the class of that draft though.