Game thread: New York Knicks @ Dallas Mavericks 12/27/2022 8:30pm [Game #35]

mafra

Legend
22 FT attempts for Luka. 24 for NYK.

Final minute refs blew a quick jump ball that helped DAL then had slow 5 second count to bail out Mavs inbound. Ref stopped hand for a second after 4th count.

mafra

Legend
I don’t think McBride ever came out of the game, after he was subbed in for RJ. And brilliant move by Thibs not subbing Sims in to rebound last second. Worked out really well.

mafra

Legend
Siakum gets the call, RJ doesn’t. Knicks lose to TOR after being up 3, with the ball, final minute before IQ travel.

Knicks miss 4 FT final minute to Bulls, lose by buzzer beater by DeRozan.

Led for 3 quarters vs PHI, before being owned in 4th Q on Christmas

Now this loss… 8-0 was almost 11-1… almost. Lol.

NBA teams were 0-13,884 in the last 20 seasons when trailing by at least nine with 35 or fewer seconds remaining, per @ESPNStatsInfo.

Luka Doncic and the Mavs pulled off a miracle.

Broadway

All Star
22 FT attempts for Luka. 24 for NYK.

Final minute refs blew a quick jump ball that helped DAL then had slow 5 second count to bail out Mavs inbound. Ref stopped hand for a second after 4th count.
Luka earned those he only made 2 3pt shots on 6 attempts out of a total of 31FGA. He was an aggressive player tonight driving almost every chance he could and because he plays at a different gear players are gonna foul him. Not to mention 6-8FTA of his were late game situation sort

We got some calls no calls too. The call on Luka on M-Rob rebound was ticky tack as hell, the no call on IQ whacking Luka on the throat, Grimes drive in transition almost no contact from Luka, Randle was carrying a lot tonight no call, although he probably could've got an extra foul call or two on a few of his drives

The call I feel they may have got completely wrong was McBride stepping out, I don't think he did

BTW not sure if you caught the game against the Grizzlies/Warriors on Christmas day but JVG was out of his mind about the reffing. It was so bad even Breen couldn't do his usual defense for them, it was bad, bad. Happens to every team in the league every night even during our 8gm win streak it was happening

mafra

Legend
Bad refs across the board, no doubt. But bad optics bc it’s most games with Knicks. And, T Donaghy rigged games. We know this. We know silver rigged 2019 lottery. We just need to understand we are the NBA punching bag and will be as long as Dolan is the owner.

mafra

Legend
Mitch and Grimes and Randle were solid. McBride and IQ played ok. Things to build on for next season. Maybe Randle has made himself tradeable?

Broadway

All Star
Bad refs across the board, no doubt. But bad optics bc it’s most games with Knicks. And, T Donaghy rigged games. We know this. We know silver rigged 2019 lottery. We just need to understand we are the NBA punching bag and will be as long as Dolan is the owner.
I don't think that's the case whatsoever, it only seems like it because we're front row for our team. We got a Christmas game out the gate and didn't really deserve it to be honest I doubt we would have had the league felt otherwise

The league wants us to be good but we have to show we're for real consistently. Signing Brunson was a good start to being taken seriously, having Grimes and RJ as a young nucleus may change our trajectory going forward

Now what I do know based on what players have come out and stated, there are refs who have personal vendettas against players or conduct themselves in a very unprofessional manner based on their in game communication. The NBA needs to investigate these cases heavy handily.

Against particular teams I severely doubt it

I mean for crying out loud, Lebron James isn't awarded foul calls to the degree he probably could've been throughout his career and this man is on his way to breaking an all time scoring record in spite of. He's only been the face of the league for over a decade now

That being said as I tell you every yr, refs are just bad at their jobs and every team could put a lien against them ever reffing a game again

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Siakum went 16-18 vs NYK. He had 16 made FT 2 games since and 15 made 2 games before. He got the foul last minute, then RJ didn’t get the call.

Remember when Grant got 17 FT attempts? He had 27 attempts in like the 8 games combined before that game.

I get there’s bad officiating, but NYKs seem to be on wrong side more often than not. NYK are NBA’s most valuable team… NBA doesn’t need them good or relevant. NO and MEM would’ve been on path to folding, had Silver not rigged 2019 draft. That came at the expense of Knicks.

Luka with 22 FT attempts and Knicks with 24? Knicks just don’t get many breaks from the refs. At least not to point where it evens out.

They also stink and aren’t good enough to overcome ref blunders, so it looks more like a conspiracy than just bad reffing. Box out Luka and you win and nobody notices. Still, you wonder why Grant got 27 FT attempts vs Knicks then didn’t get 27 attempts for a while afterwards.

I think NBA might be trying to help NYK this year. Put us in the lottery so we can get a star. But we are trying desperately to win 39 games for some reason. Lol.

mafra

Legend
"I mean, we know New York is not gonna double. I love the pick and roll, I think everybody knows that. So just keep rolling the pick and roll.”

— Luka Doncic on scoring 27 of his 60 points against the Knicks in pick and roll situations

Kiyaman

Legend
As I said, can’t trust this team AT ALL. Again we’re playing better but we kind of freestyle too much and any team patient enough to execute can get whatever they want on us

Mavs missed a ton of wide open 3s tonight

Can’t fault McBride too much he made like 5-6 free throws all in the clutch although the miss hurt. Had he made it we know the Mavs somehow, some way would’ve got a 3 out of it

We had too many possessions in the 4th qrt that were dead, couldn’t get Randle the ball on several of them and when we did not early enough

Luka was “other worldly”…wish we would’ve lost more the yr he was available but we won 5 too many games

It's not the team we cant trust, it's coach Tom Thibs we can't TRUST.
The Knicks 8 man rotation played like all-stars against the Mavs holding the Knicks lead for 47 minutes of the game, until the head coaches took over the final minute of regulation.
The no offensive strategy head coach Tom Thibs gave the Mavs the win.

Having 11 seconds remaining in regulation, McBride FT makes the score 113-109 giving Knicks 4 pt lead, Mavs call time-out. Everyone in my house are yelling defend all the Mavs except Bullock when the Mavs throw the ball in. Didn't happen.
Doncic throws the ball in straight to Dinwiddie who hits a catch n shoot 3 ball shot to make the score 113-112. Knicks call time-out having 9 seconds remaining in game. Mavs foul McBride who make the score 115-112 having 4 seconds remaining in game. Grimes foul Luka, and coach Kidd adds a fresh center JaVale McGee into Mavs lineup which meant Luka's gonna miss the 2nd FT shot. And Thibs did not think to put center Sims in the lineup to box-out JaVale McGee, and Mavs got the offensive rebound to tie the score at 115 to go to over time.
There was no way the Knicks were gonna beat the Mavs in OT when the Knicks OT lineup were worn out mentally & physically for playing 40 minutes in regulation.
From Thibs 8 man rotation in a over time game.

The best thing I could say about this game, and the Christmas game 4th quarter are
TRADE RJ Barrett asap

This game showed so many problems with the Knicks.
1. The Knicks are a better team if RJ isn’t on the floor(I say the team).
Ex. The ball moved so much better the entire game.
2. The F.O. Put this team together and we are no better than first day they took over.
Ex. Remember they gutted the team before the 2019 draft for a pipe dream.
3. Thib is horrible as a coach and he doesn’t see the game in real time.
Ex. The 4th quarter isn’t always the same as the first 3 quarter.
4. Knowing that you don’t have a #1 or #2 option in your starting lineup for the 4th quarter.
Ex. The only true #1or #2 is D. Rose.
Rosé should’ve started and played the 4th quarter.
This was a complete failure on all parts of the Knicks.

Broadway

All Star
Siakum went 16-18 vs NYK. He had 16 made FT 2 games since and 15 made 2 games before. He got the foul last minute, then RJ didn’t get the call.

Remember when Grant got 17 FT attempts? He had 27 attempts in like the 8 games combined before that game.

I get there’s bad officiating, but NYKs seem to be on wrong side more often than not. NYK are NBA’s most valuable team… NBA doesn’t need them good or relevant. NO and MEM would’ve been on path to folding, had Silver not rigged 2019 draft. That came at the expense of Knicks.

Luka with 22 FT attempts and Knicks with 24? Knicks just don’t get many breaks from the refs. At least not to point where it evens out.

They also stink and aren’t good enough to overcome ref blunders, so it looks more like a conspiracy than just bad reffing. Box out Luka and you win and nobody notices. Still, you wonder why Grant got 27 FT attempts vs Knicks then didn’t get 27 attempts for a while afterwards.

I think NBA might be trying to help NYK this year. Put us in the lottery so we can get a star. But we are trying desperately to win 39 games for some reason. Lol.
You have to take OT into consideration…

Siakim is averaging 9.5FTA for the month of Dec and avg’d approximately 9 in the month of Oct…an improved offensive player who knows how to get to the stripe

He just Atmp 15 against Boston the other night. He’s Top 15 in scoring

It’s simple math…if a player has a big scoring night, and there have been several of them this yr like an alarming amount(not all against the Knicks btw) the greater majority came with the player shooting a ton of free throws(10 or more, well above league avg)

Check the link of big scoring games this season so far NBA Best Games 22-23

PHX, UTAH, BKN, NO, Hou, Cha, Knicks on there multiple times

You know what’s most telling from the link, Luka leads all players in top scoring performances I count 5 all against different teams and he’s 3rd in the league near 11 FTA/Gm. Booker is on there 3Xs with 25, 31, 35 AT respectively none against Knicks, 3 different teams…How do you think fans of those teams felt, Vendetta against them too?

Last but not least…NEW YORK KNICKS ARE TOP 10(8th) in FTA/GM!!!

Again refs are bad first and foremost and usually favor players who have a nack for scoring

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
"I mean, we know New York is not gonna double. I love the pick and roll, I think everybody knows that. So just keep rolling the pick and roll.”

— Luka Doncic on scoring 27 of his 60 points against the Knicks in pick and roll situations
You know he’s not the only player who’s made post game comments about how the team defends and/or doesn’t make adjustments

Niang from Philly literally said something similar…about dropped zone coverages and us looking like a College Amateur team

I believe either Grant, Morant, or Tatum spoke to how they were being defended when we played them

These are the things concerning me the most as a fan. The fact players speak so openly and unfiltered what they experience playing us is pathetic

Broadway

All Star
Another note to address Mafra

Yes the league wants Big Market teams to be good although not required to be profitable

Networth of Franchises has nothing to do with a League’s ability to secure lucrative media deals and sponsorships

It was sighted Philly vs Knicks did massive TV ratings on Christmas Day…highest rated 12:00 window game since 2011, very little to do with Knicks bottom line yet a lot to do with the NBA’s bottom line. We were on there last yr too against Hawks and smashed those ratings by 38% this yr

Broadway

All Star
It's not the team we cant trust, it's coach Tom Thibs we can't TRUST.
The Knicks 8 man rotation played like all-stars against the Mavs holding the Knicks lead for 47 minutes of the game, until the head coaches took over the final minute of regulation.
The no offensive strategy head coach Tom Thibs gave the Mavs the win.

Having 11 seconds remaining in regulation, McBride FT makes the score 113-109 giving Knicks 4 pt lead, Mavs call time-out. Everyone in my house are yelling defend all the Mavs except Bullock when the Mavs throw the ball in. Didn't happen.
Doncic throws the ball in straight to Dinwiddie who hits a catch n shoot 3 ball shot to make the score 113-112. Knicks call time-out having 9 seconds remaining in game. Mavs foul McBride who make the score 115-112 having 4 seconds remaining in game. Grimes foul Luka, and coach Kidd adds a fresh center JaVale McGee into Mavs lineup which meant Luka's gonna miss the 2nd FT shot. And Thibs did not think to put center Sims in the lineup to box-out JaVale McGee, and Mavs got the offensive rebound to tie the score at 115 to go to over time.
There was no way the Knicks were gonna beat the Mavs in OT when the Knicks OT lineup were worn out mentally & physically for playing 40 minutes in regulation.
From Thibs 8 man rotation in a over time game.

The best thing I could say about this game, and the Christmas game 4th quarter are
TRADE RJ Barrett asap
Accurate account of what transpired, although I’ll always disagree about the RJ takes on this site

Too extreme, by no means is he a perfect player…defensively I’d like to see more improvement from him but he’s the least of our issues

mafra

Legend
Another note to address Mafra

Yes the league wants Big Market teams to be good although not required to be profitable

Networth of Franchises has nothing to do with a League’s ability to secure lucrative media deals and sponsorships

It was sighted Philly vs Knicks did massive TV ratings on Christmas Day…highest rated 12:00 window game since 2011, very little to do with Knicks bottom line yet a lot to do with the NBA’s bottom line. We were on there last yr too against Hawks and smashed those ratings by 38% this yr
I did see that. KD might get his wish next year, with a Nets-Knicks Xmas matchup.

Where do you go with this roster? Tinker and make run at bubble? Trade Obi/IQ/Cam/EF/DR?

Trade Randle if opportunity arrives to get value while he’s back to playing at an all star caliber level?

Going to be interesting to see what Leon does. Not that I have faith in him.

I’m hoping Mavs just miss bubble and Wizards make post season. And Knicks win 35 games and get lottery. 3 first rounders and maybe we get lucky and jump up. A deep draft… a true rebuild could be here if they pick right talent to add to their current youth.

How do find that star? Are you rolling with Randle next 3 years? Decisions….

Kiyaman

Legend
This game showed so many problems with the Knicks.
1. The Knicks are a better team if RJ isn’t on the floor(I say the team).
Ex. The ball moved so much better the entire game.
2. The F.O. Put this team together and we are no better than first day they took over.
Ex. Remember they gutted the team before the 2019 draft for a pipe dream.
3. Thib is horrible as a coach and he doesn’t see the game in real time.
Ex. The 4th quarter isn’t always the same as the first 3 quarter.
4. Knowing that you don’t have a #1 or #2 option in your starting lineup for the 4th quarter.
Ex. The only true #1or #2 is D. Rose.
Rosé should’ve started and played the 4th quarter.
This was a complete failure on all parts of the Knicks.

So so true .. Luka Doncic career high was a JOKE!
Putting a 6.2 rookie McBride and 6.4 rookie Grimes to defend the 3 time all-star 6.7 PG Luka Donicic for 53 minutes. Which was Cam Reddish job when Barrett went down with injury.
And yes, McBride & Grimes are practical rookies receiving consistent playing time this season.
Yes, the Knicks played a much better team-ball on both sides of the court without RJ Barrett.
Yes, D.Rose should've been the Knicks 4th quarter CLOSER for a Knicks win.

The part of the game that disgust me was in the 4th quarter when Randle started yelling at teammates then asked for the ball, and D.Rose dribbled the ball then took the shot which missed, and seconds later D.Rose was sent to the bench.
Is the Knicks Randle's team ???

Yeah, I noticed that same sequence of plays.
And yes, this Randle team and Thib showed us just that.
I like Randle but just like at the end of the Philly game. The look on Randle face was one that ‘I don’t know what to do anymore’. He should know his limitations as trying to be a #1. He simply isn’t built for that task.
Rosé could be you 4th quarter guy on this team if use correctly. Let him run the show and play him sparingly during the first 3 quarters.
Randle is getting a large ego and it will be his downfall. Someone needs to pull him to the side and say ‘ look you aren’t a 1 or 2’. Your best time was in N.O. When you were the 3 option. Know who you are and play like it. Rose is the ONLY legitimate #1 on this team and you should know that!!

Broadway

All Star
I did see that. KD might get his wish next year, with a Nets-Knicks Xmas matchup.

Where do you go with this roster? Tinker and make run at bubble? Trade Obi/IQ/Cam/EF/DR?

Trade Randle if opportunity arrives to get value while he’s back to playing at an all star caliber level?

Going to be interesting to see what Leon does. Not that I have faith in him.

I’m hoping Mavs just miss bubble and Wizards make post season. And Knicks win 35 games and get lottery. 3 first rounders and maybe we get lucky and jump up. A deep draft… a true rebuild could be here if they pick right talent to add to their current youth.

How do find that star? Are you rolling with Randle next 3 years? Decisions….
Not sure Maf, you may have been better suited to be in the front office past several yrs…the really down yrs

You wanted Fox and Haliburton we got Frankfarter and Obi

I feel had we missed on the above Donovan Mitchell, Markkanen, Adebayo, Kuzma, Tyrese Maxey, and Desmond Bane…all drafted after and clearly better players, we’d likely be in a better position compared to now

Not saying we land the exact combination of preferences players but the way we scout talent likely produces a better outcome based on our politic surrounding roster construction

I’m okay with not getting Zion(2019), he flaked away nearly 3yrs of ball primarily due to immaturity and lack of professionalism. It’s not like there are clearly better identifiable players over RJ…maybe Garland and Herro not by much but based on position of need at time for what we know now, yeah Garland would’ve been nice. What if RJ played next to CJ, Butler, Mitchell?

We clearly have to draft and develop our young talent better for starters

I would trade Randle to Miami for Robinson and Jovic…no to Tobias and absolutely no to Zach Lavine

I would trade Fournier and Reddish to Washington for Kuzma

I would trade IQ/Rose for a pick/expiring

Brunson
Grimes
RJ
Kuzma
Robinson

McBride
Robinson
Jovic
Obi
Sims

Last edited:
LOL
Who is your #1 and #2 options??
Who’s going to take the last shot with the game tied or you down by 2 or 3??
Rebounding will come from where??… Just MRob?? Ex. Dallas put McGee into game and canceled out MRob. NOW WHAT
Have you given any thought to any of the above??

You sound and look like the current F.O. with no idea of chemistry and makeup.
We already have a Frankenstein team so is your the Son of Frankenstein??