robin_lopez.png

evan_turner.png
arron_afflalo.png

isaiah_thomas.png
jose_calderon.png

Injury Report

Boston Celtics
New York Knicks
Avery Bradley - Sore Left Hip (QUEST)Cleanthony Early - Injured Right Knee (OUT)

Game Preview

After winning their first meeting with New York this season, the Boston Celtics were streaking and challenging Toronto for first place in the division.

Just over two weeks later and it's the Knicks who are making noise in the Atlantic.

New York tries to win for the sixth time in eight games since losing to the Celtics when the teams meet at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night.

Boston's 100-91 home win over the Knicks on Dec. 27 was its fourth straight and left it one game back of the Raptors. The Knicks were handed their third four-game skid of the season and fell 4 1/2 behind the Celtics.

Few likely anticipated the 180-degree turnaround for both clubs since that night, particularly in light of what Carmelo Anthony said after his team shot 37.1 percent and missed 15 of 19 from 3-point range.

"It's more stress than anything because you're praying (for shots) to go in, you're hoping for them to go in," said Anthony, who scored 29 points with 10 rebounds. "It's not confident when you're shooting the ball."

New York (19-20) appears to be feeling it now, and ending a four-game series skid against Boston (19-18) will draw them even for second place in the Atlantic. The Celtics have dropped five of six since beating the Knicks.

The Knicks have had one bad game in their last seven, losing 108-81 at Chicago on New Year's Day, and their other loss in that span may have done more to build their confidence than squash it. They nearly handed San Antonio its first home defeat Friday, but Jose Calderon's 3-pointer bounced off the rim at the buzzer in a 100-99 loss.

New York returned home to begin a stretch of six of seven in the Big Apple - one of its two road games is in Brooklyn - with a 100-88 win over Milwaukee on Sunday. Anthony had 24 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists, while Kristaps Porzingis scored 15 and sparked a big third quarter with a putback dunk and one of his five blocks.

The Knicks, allowing 95.2 points per game in their last five, led by 22 entering the fourth and won despite missing 17 from beyond the arc.

"Every spectacular play we have, we just gain energy from that on the defensive end and we're able to play better, more together as a team on the defensive end, just because we have that energy from that highlight or whatever happened," Porzingis said.

The rookie will look for a better performance in this matchup after going 4 for 13 in Boston, though he did finish with 16 points and 12 boards.

Isaiah Thomas was the key for the Celtics in that game with 21 points, and he nearly willed his team to victory in Memphis on Sunday.

Thomas scored 35 points, but his 3-pointer was ruled to have left his hand after the horn in a 101-98 loss. He hit two free throws with 5.1 seconds left and then stole the ball after the ensuing inbounds pass.

The Celtics have been limited to 94.7 points per game in their last three and been outscored by at least 11 in the fourth quarter in two of those contests.

"We know that we gave this one away," guard Avery Bradley told the team's official website after the Grizzlies outscored them 33-22 in the fourth. "We can't keep letting games slip away from us, but we need to stay positive and focus on the next game."

(nba.com)

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Cannot stand Boston, even if most the guys I hated are long gone, I can muster up plenty of hate for Sullinger fat ass. Lets go Knicks crush these bums

tiger0330

Legend
Let's not have IT outscore the whole Knick backcourt like last time. A loss tonight not only puts us 2 games below.500 but undoes the recent good play the last 6 games. Go Knicks.

mafra

Legend
Let's Go Knicks... Celtics, @Nets, @MEM, PHI, UTAh... Let's go 4-1 baby and get back above .500! BOS ahead of us in standings and already beat us... Need to even season series and start our ascent towards a first round shocker!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The Knicks are bringing it once again. KP and Melo playing very well, and Lopez continues to be so much better than he was recently on offense.

mafra

Legend
Knicks start hot... 9-11 from field... 5-5 from 3... Melo hit 2-2 and KP 3-3 from downtown.

Porzingis has 14 points in the first 8 minutes. Pinch me when Mudiay does that.

tiger0330

Legend
Grant blocks IT, finally, still don't understand how a guy that short gets into lane like he does. He's not even that fast with the ball.

mafra

Legend
NYK bounding and astounding, caring and sharing... But BOS superior guard play (compared to NY) keeping this somewhat within reach.

mafra

Legend
Affalo and Grant have 4 apiece (1-7 shooting)... Calderon and Galloway have 0 each. All 4 guards combined for 8 points in the first half... Isaiah Thomas has 15 himself. So, BOS PG has more than double the points of all our guards combined. Altogether, BOS guards have our scored ours 27-8.

Melo hurt at end of half.

mafra

Legend
Not the first time I've said this, man I'd love to have Rubio on this team.

Rubio, Conley Jr., anything really. In the perfect world, only Affalo would be on this team and he would be the backup SG. The other 3 are not NBA players right now.

tiger0330

Legend
20 pts by KP in the half but he took too many 3s for me. 10 pt lead at the half in a very entertaining game. Still need to make a deal for a PG, Jimmer is still an option for me. The starting backcourt 1-7 in the half.

tiger0330

Legend
Affalo and Grant have 4 apiece (1-7 shooting)... Calderon and Galloway have 0 each. All 4 guards combined for 8 points in the first half... Isaiah Thomas has 15 himself. So, BOS PG has more than double the points of all our guards combined. Altogether, BOS guards have our scored ours 27-8.

Melo hurt at end of half.
I would be surprised if he's not back. Walked off on his own and nobody touched him on his injury.

mafra

Legend
20 pts by KP in the half but he took too many 3s for me. 10 pt lead at the half in a very entertaining game. Still need to make a deal for a PG, Jimmer is still an option for me. The starting backcourt 1-7 in the half.

Most definitely...he hit his first 3 then missed the next 4... Sure, only 1 was forced... But... Still... He shouldn't be chucking 10 threes in a game.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Rubio, Conley Jr., anything really. In the perfect world, only Affalo would be on this team and he would be the backup SG. The other 3 are not NBA players right now.
Conley would also be great.

Calderon's an NBA player, and he might be doing more for this team than we realize, but yeah, a good, younger, athletic PG would be beneficial, especially in today's NBA.