Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Houston Rockets 8:00 11/1/2017 [Game #7]

jimkcchief88

All Star
I hate the way the Rockets play, it's really disgusting to watch

SSOL at its best; Moving Harden to PG was the clincher and CP3 didn?t even play tonight...I can?t even lie the ROX have been my WC team since Harden got there...Horn wishes he had the horses to run like that....That?s what an elite WC team looks like...Damphony never had a PG to run his system here in NYC...he was stuck with Duhound...amazing we never addressed the PG situation until now:( esp when NYC used to known for producing point guards um um um:( oh we?ll streak over

tiger0330

Legend
Hasn't played enough to disappoint or get me excited. He had 8 assists and 5 steals but he only made one shot. I'd like Horn to bring him along faster, let him play along side the starters and not the second unit. If not now, the sooner the better.
[FONT=&quot]Frank Isola agrees with me. Throw him in the water and see if he can swim.

Rebuilding Knicks should consider starting Frank Ntilikina soon
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]FRANK ISOLA [/FONT]
[/FONT]

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
*Jeff Van Gundy And Mike Breen Discuss Houston Losing Some Of Their Shooting In The Big Trade*

*Rockets Never Miss*

and1

Rotation player
well i did not get wire to wire competitiveness and i did in fact get a lot of sloppiness.
i wonder if these guys stayed out a little too late trick or treating.
our 2nd unit let us down tonight, although i did see some good things from dotson again. there's a really good chance he ends up developing faster than frank.
but i'm still liking frank. i don't need instant over-night 'wow this guy is going to be amazing' with nitty. i'm willing to give him the whole year to go through his rookie ups and downs.
throwing him in the starting lineup too soon would probably be a mistake for him and KP and timmy and kanter (especially if we're showcasing kanter for trade purposes).
all those guys are benefiting from jack's veteran know-how. let KP really mature into his own man this season with jack. maybe after ASB we throw frank out there, depending on how he's progressed by then.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
The team didn't compete at all..... they were just running up and down, KP looked tired??
what is the matter with Beasley? i thought the guy can score, he plays with this strange look which says i am not interested.....
moreover, all these years i wondered what are we doing with Lance Thomas, the most unuseful overpaid player.... he always takes strange shots which miss everything...

jimkcchief88

All Star
We all got excited for a minute me included but this is what happens when you bring Kool Aid to a gin party...Harden had his way he was the real MVP last year not Russ...KP is Melo now no help against an elite WC team won?t work because you can?t drop enough buckets...it?s ok Knicks tank fans should be happy...

mafra

Legend
Knicks played fairly decent in the first half; not great but not poorly either.

The only reason why HOU was up 60-48 at the half was bc of crappy officiating.

For example, refs called 2 traveling calls on NY (KOQ and Kanter). The call on Kanter erased 2 points. Then, of course, despite fact Capella is all alone in the open floor, on a fast break, ref somehow misses his 4 step journey to the hoop (including his double stutter step).

Harden had a demonstrative arm swipe on KP and THJr, neither of which was called a foul.

I counted 3 fouls (6 FT attempts) refs awarded Harden for phantom
calls. 1 time he shoves Ntikilina away with an elbow and another time Harden stumbled coming over a pick, as Lee fights over the screen, and bc Harden lost his handle the ref (behind the action on other side of the floor) bails him out.

Anyway, the huge FT disparity was the difference in the first half.... most of the calls HOU got (which led to FTs) where between non-existent to incidental contact.... meanwhile, NY never got anything close to those calls when they had the ball. These werent just 50/50 calls either.

The point is, had NY not been called for the travel and refs don't ignore the HOU walk.... this is a 4-point swing; Plus, had the home team been given those "50/50" calls, more so than HOU.... and NY gets 6-8 more FTs and we take away 6-8 from HOU....

Well, that's how officiating can dictate how 1 team leads by 12 at the half versus the other team having the lead.

Not to mention, when shooters knock down those free and easy FT attempts, and get into rhythm.... this is an advantage for when they start firing from the outside. Builds confidence...

So.... there's my vent. Both teams played about the same in the first half but NY got short end of stick with the calls.... at home... but this shouldn't shock anybody.

Losing to HOU in 1994 Finals.... having come into this game 2-22 vs HOU last 12 years.... including dropping 7 straight at MSG... watching the Harden parade to FT line anytime a bead of sweat hits his jersey or if he even loses balance.... makes we want to vomit.

jimkcchief88

All Star
And one wing defender(fragile frank) can?t stop the rain NBA rules have changed just like the NFL in favor of fast pace offenses...Nelly would be proud of what he started(Don Nelson)...I?m saying you can?t play a roster with all bigs and expect to win... we used to run cats off the court in the gym back in the day just like that like Maddon said:?speed kills.? Tonight showed how far we are away from being a good team...it?s nice have a 7?3? unicorn but smaller and quicker will always win out esp. when them cats can shoot as well that?s skill on the perimeter no shame in that...like I said we used to run bigger cats off the floor all day long size ain?t **** if you don?t know how to use it

jimkcchief88

All Star

For example, refs called 2 traveling calls on NY (KOQ and Kanter). The call on Kanter erased 2 points. Then, of course, despite fact Capella is all alone in the open floor, on a fast break, ref somehow misses his 4 step journey to the hoop (including his double stutter step).

Harden had a demonstrative arm swipe on KP and THJr, neither of which was called a foul.

calls. 1 time he shoves Ntikilina away with an elbow and another time Harden stumbled coming over a pick, as Lee fights over the screen, and bc Harden lost his handle the ref (behind the action on other side of the floor) bails him out.

Anyway, the huge FT disparity was the difference in the first half.... most of the calls HOU got (which led to FTs) where between non-existent to incidental contact.... meanwhile, NY never got anything close to those calls when they had the ball. These werent just 50/50 calls either.

The point is, had NY not been called for the travel and refs don't ignore the HOU walk.... this is a 4-point swing; Plus, had the home team been given those "50/50" calls, more so than HOU.... and NY gets 6-8 more FTs and we take away 6-8 from HOU....

Well, that's how officiating can dictate how 1 team leads by 12 at the half versus the other team having the lead.

Not to mention, when shooters knock down those free and easy FT attempts, and get into rhythm.... this is an advantage for when they start firing from the outside. Builds confidence...

So.... there's my vent. Both teams played about the same in the first half but NY got short end of stick with the calls.... at home... but this shouldn't shock anybody.

Losing to HOU in 1994 Finals.... having come into this game 2-22 vs HOU last 12 years.... including dropping 7 straight at MSG... watching the Harden parade to FT line anytime a bead of sweat hits his jersey or if he even loses balance.... makes we want to vomit.

Cmon man you can blame the zebras when you lose by 2 not by 20

mafra

Legend
Now, what I just wrote may not appear like it mattered.... I mean, HOU wasted us in the second half.... still.... it doesn't mean the whistles didn't have a profound impact on how the game took shape the first 2 quarters.

This is not to say the refs are to blame for this loss.... The team laying another third quarter egg saw to that.... Its just that this is my pet peeve.... the officiating is so blatantly and heavily skewed towards guards, and it's tough to watch sometimes.

The way the game is called is why this is a PG league now. Like JVG said, guards shouldn't be allowed to have their forearms shoved into body of a big while they shoot. Refs don't allow that same contact behind 3-point line.

Then when a guard penetrates, the slightest contact is called but when a big is pestered in the post the whistle is swallowed, bc in refs eyes the contact is deemed incidental.

I don't want to go back to days of 90s where hand checking allowed smaller guards to be manhandled on the perimeter....

I just want THJr to get a call when Nene shoves him with both hands.... and for once Harden to drive and miss a shot and the refs not call a foul.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Harden is a fantastic regular season player. He's Arod in the playoffs tho. Like Paul, these 2 disappear when moment is too big come May.

Dantoni offense is ugly bc PG dominates ball with constant dribbling -- Nash and Harden. I prefer motion and passing.... like SA. This is why Dant wasn't successful in NY. His offense doesn't work without a superstar PG.

SSOL and spacing and chucking 3s doesn't work in playoffs bc the game is officiated differently. Refs allow much more contact.

As for NYK.... every loss is welcomed bc it gets us closer to an NBA title. Bring on a lottery pick.

I wouldn't take much from this game, b/c we will look like crap when KP struggles. THJr hit some shots and Ntikilina had some assists.... other than that everybody was pedestrian. Team feeds of KP tho.

So... for KP... 5 great games to 2 poor ones.

Jack and Lee were lousy tonight....

3rd game in 4 days for NY.... vs HOU who Played once the previous 3 nights. Never a good recipe for success. This is why NBA should
Never have a team play 3 times in 4 days.

So, was this poor effort due to exhaustion or did they party last night? Time will tell.

Maybe PHO can wax us FRI and get us all back on the tank train.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Damphony wasn?t successful in NYC because again management didn?t give him the talent to succeed....now Gallinari...Damphony?s godson lottery pick in a PG rich draft...that was Damnphony?s fault....but giving him Harden in Houston is a match made in heaven...I don?t know how you guys think that?s ?ugly offense.? I don?t understand it. Harden bring the ball up the floor and if you don?t pick him up....as Mark Jackson says:?you pay the price.? But if you run at him it?s either a blow by or the step-daddy pick you poison....but the same time the man is unselfish enough to dish to spaced, knockdown shooters. That?s beautiful offense if you ask me...the only we to stop it is to double team Harden to get the ball out of his hand and hope the shooters have a bad day...and Nene is there to grab boards which is why the ROX missed him so bad in the playoffs last year...as much as you fellas don?t like it this is what the NBA wanted not 90?s style Knicks-Heat-Pacers 84-78 games...that era is gone...big man era is gone...if you can?t run and gun you are stone cold dead in the water....you gotta have athletic shooters...not big bums...

jimkcchief88

All Star

Uhhhh your whole little rant above is about the refs...I get it two Thursdays ago when my Chiefs lost to the Raiders because of a phantom holding call that took away a turnover at the Raiders own 20...that?s officials...then they get 2-3 PI calls and untimed downs with no time on the clock until the Faiders score and you win by a couple points....That?s the NFL using the refs to keep the Raiders relevant. But getting drug by 20 from early second quarter on by an elite WC team with all nba players???? Cmon man🤦*♂️

mafra

Legend
Where was Harden as SA eliminated HOU?

Harden is a great player but he also benefits tremendously bc of the refs. He initiates contact and gets fouls.... he isn't touched and gets fouls.... The same contact that's a foul for Harden isn't a foul
for KP.

ISO Harden and shooting 50 threes isn't my brand of basketball.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Harden is a fantastic regular season player. He's Arod in the playoffs tho. Like Paul, these 2 disappear when moment is too big come May.

Dantoni offense is ugly bc PG dominates ball with constant dribbling -- Nash and Harden. I prefer motion and passing.... like SA. This is why Dant wasn't successful in NY. His offense doesn't work without a superstar PG.

SSOL and spacing and chucking 3s doesn't work in playoffs bc the game is officiated differently. Refs allow much more contact.

As for NYK.... every loss is welcomed bc it gets us closer to an NBA title. Bring on a lottery pick.

I wouldn't take much from this game, b/c we will look like crap when KP struggles. THJr hit some shots and Ntikilina had some assists.... other than that everybody was pedestrian. Team feeds of KP tho.

So... for KP... 5 great games to 2 poor ones.

Jack and Lee were lousy tonight....

3rd game in 4 days for NY.... vs HOU who Played once the previous 3 nights. Never a good recipe for success. This is why NBA should
Never have a team play 3 times in 4 days.

So, was this poor effort due to exhaustion or did they party last night? Time will tell.

Maybe PHO can wax us FRI and get us all back on the tank train.

I'm never off this train, I mean if they win cool nothing can be done about it but Chris Mannix tweeted the other day 5 prospects are MUST GETS in this coming draft, we need to be one of those teams. Just because we're not as close to 82gms played doesn't change what's most important for a "sustained successful future"

Broadway

All Star
Hasn't played enough to disappoint or get me excited. He had 8 assists and 5 steals but he only made one shot. I'd like Horn to bring him along faster, let him play along side the starters and not the second unit. If not now, the sooner the better.

If we like to sample size, Dotson deserves as much chance to play more as anyone else based on what we've seen. I really want to see less of THJR

mafra

Legend
I'm never off this train, I mean if they win cool nothing can be done about it but Chris Mannix tweeted the other day 5 prospects are MUST GETS in this coming draft, we need to be one of those teams. Just because we're not as close to 82gms played doesn't change what's most important for a "sustained successful future"

I agree. I'm an engineer on that tank train all season. Wins won't bother me, but I'm smart enough to know each win hinders the rebuild plan.

Think OKC with KD, RW, Harden and GSW with Curry and Thompson.

We need a wing lottery stud to add to the group.

This is way, come Jan.... I start Ntikilina, THJr, Dotson, KP, Kanter and let the kids develop chemistry. And, if we deal kanter.... insert WHG.

I think the issue is: Is Kanter part of our future?

and1

Rotation player
If we like to sample size, Dotson deserves as much chance to play more as anyone else based on what we've seen. I really want to see less of THJR

yeah i'd like to see more of dotson too. i think last night's performance deserves 12-15 minutes per game over the next few, just to get a better look.
the question is whether you give him more minutes with frank or with jack? maybe sub lee out a little early, let dotson slip in for some minutes with the starters? then bring lee back when frank is running the show with some of the 2nd unit guys like dougie, the Q and beas/willy?