Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Los Angeles Clippers 7:30pm 1/22/2016

mafra

Legend
I hope Fisher benches AA for the entire 4th quarter. He has 0 points and only 3 shots with Redick guarding him.

We got a game in CHA tomorrow...
DF should sit a lot of guys if we don't make a run to start the 4th...

KP is off tonight, Melo too... But if we had more than 4 points from our starting guards... We probably are down 8 instead of 22.

finestrg

Rotation player
Almost end of third quarter... Austin Rivers and Pablo Prigioni have 6 points and our 4 guards have 8 points.

Can't believe we haven't tried a guy on a 10-day contract to see if we could come up with some kind of a backcourt enhancement. Elliot Williams was out there at one point, Erick Green, Bryce Cotton, Sean Kilpatrick, Jimmer Fredette, Travis Trice, Thanasis... Their thinking has been that none of these guys would've cracked the rotation. Really?? I like Grant but let's be honest--he should be getting 35+ mins a night running the Westchester team to build skill and confidence, Sasha sucks, Calderon's well past his prime, Galloway's OK but nothing special, Early's out for several months (wasn't even playing anyway). I mean are they kidding--our guard rotation is the pits! it's what's holding us back from being a better club imo. Erick Green's dropping 30 a night in the DL and we've had an open roster spot all along--how in the world do they not think he could help us?!?

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Both Grant and Galloway have easy, give me, simple opportunity to loft DWILL an alley oop and both turn ball over on terrible passes... Grant tries a 25 foot bounce pass that gets intercepted and LG flings a fastball at DW's face. If you can't make these passes... You should be sent to the D League.

finestrg

Rotation player
Clyde just saying Afflalo's "having an off night" then they show he's only taken 5 shots with 4 and change to go in the game. I mean WTF man--they've gotta make a concerted effort to get this guy more shots every game. I'd like to see AA play a little more selfish too. He's gotta look for his shots when he's out there. The dude's an excellent shotmaker, our best guard by far--he's gotta be more involved.

tiger0330

Legend
Clyde just saying Afflalo's "having an off night" then they show he's only taken 5 shots with 4 and change to go in the game. I mean WTF man--they've gotta make a concerted effort to get this guy more shots every game. I'd like to see AA play a little more selfish too. He's gotta look for his shots when he's out there. The dude's an excellent shotmaker, our best guard by far--he's gotta be more involved.
Clips did a good job on him defensively. The shots he did take were tough shots though I've seen him hit some very tough shots.

finestrg

Rotation player
Wasn't a fan of not signing Cole to sign Quinn. I think he's more value at 2yrs/4M than Quinn at 4/16M.

I'm in the minority here but I once said that if Cole Aldrich got enough mins and touches, he'd put up similar numbers as Robin Lopez with all the same intangibles. I honestly believe that. Still believe it, even with Robin playing better the last few weeks...Cole was a VERY GOOD player in college--one of the best college centers in the country at the time. I think people forget that. Played real well for us the 2 seasons we had him whenever he got extended PT.

Wow--I think Seraphin looked great, esp. considering he hasn't played at all recently. If they refuse to consider one of these DL guards on a 10-day contract, I wonder what a Seraphin/Grant package could get us. Could it get us a decent vet PG upgrade in a trade like a Darren Collison/Ty Lawson (might have to include KOQ and cash, I know Lawson makes a lot of money) where we could then turn around and call up and Darion Atkins or Jordan Bachynski to take Seraphin and or KOQ's spot, or maybe for a guy like Joe Young in Indy, Spencer Dinwiddie in DET, maybe Pat Connaughton in Portland, Will Barton in Denver, etc.. There are guys out there that could help us. We're a .500 team right now, out of the playoffs. One decent guard upgrade puts us in the playoffs imho. How hard is uncle Phil looking? He's got options out there, man.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I'm interested in how much PJ wants to get to the playoffs. With this squad I think it's 50/50 whether they make it or not, I would think Phil would love to go from 17 wins to the playoffs and show the fans some real progress this season. Do PJ/Mills make a key deal to get a veteran PG, they've got some assets to make a deal w/o trading away draft picks.

finestrg

Rotation player
I'm interested in how much PJ wants to get to the playoffs. With this squad I think it's 50/50 whether they make it or not, I would think Phil would love to go from 17 wins to the playoffs and show the fans some real progress this season. Do PJ/Mills make a key deal to get a veteran PG, they've got some assets to make a deal w/o trading away draft picks.

Right. Or, you know what, try one of these DL guards first on a 10-day deal. To me, that would be the logically first step. If after 10 days said player didn't work out, no problem -- cut him and move on. And if they're worried about having that spot open to add a player in case there's an injury they're still OK--just cut Sasha. I know they won't do that to him, but it would be the logically thing to do. Dude brings nothing to the table--ZERO. Cut SV and bring in a better guard to up the backcourt firepower a little bit (Elliot Williams is available once again, then there's Erick Green, Bryce Cotton, Russ Smith, Travis Trice, Jimmer Fredette, Sean Kilpatrick, Darington Hobson, Orlando Johnson, I even like Thanasis Antentokounmpo -- take your pick here. Many good options. To me, any of these dude would be an upgrade over Calderon & Vujacic, probably over Galloway too -- they need to stop kidding themselves thinking otherwise). Sasha's money's all guaranteed for the year--turn around and offer him a coaching spot, this way he can remain around to further mentor KP or whatever they really value him for. Then send Grant to the DL where he can get some regular extended burn and hopefully improve as a player.

I'd go this route 1st. If this route didn't bear any fruit, I'd then put Grant (who may never be a big time player, the more I watch him), Seraphin (he barely plays & won't be back next yr--might as well try to get something for him), Early, KOQ etc. (all replaceable pieces), all on the table and see what that could get me on the trade market. To me, a backcourt upgrade could mean the difference between being a .500/sub .500 club and not making the playoffs, and being a 5 over .500 team and getting in.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Possibly the most unwatchable quarter of basketball that I have seen in many, many years. We are getting killed and we are doing the hack-a-Jordan on every possession with minimal success. Just terrible. Robin Lopez is lucky he got ejected and doesn't have to be a part of this mess.

Yep I gave up on this one early....CP3/Jordan to much

knicksin60

Starter
The curse of .500 is in full affect. I knew that we were going to get torched on a nightly basis against elite PG's as soon as Phil Jackson traded for Jose "I can't guard my man" Calderon. In my opinion, the only way that this team makes the playoffs is if they trade for a competent defender at the 1 position.

paris401

Starter
Do PJ/Mills make a key deal to get a veteran PG, they've got some assets to make a deal w/o trading away draft picks.

we have a veteran PG in caledron... we don't need a vet, we need a 'real' PG who can get Me-Lo and the rookie the ball .. whatever is available on the market is someone elses...garbage... we already have plenty of that...