Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Washington Wizards (2014/11/04)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
header.jpg

WAS.gif
NYK.gif

(2-1) - (2-1)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG7:30 PM EST

Possible starters:

paul_pierce.png
quincy_acy.png

nene.png
carmelo_anthony.png

marcin_gortat.png
samuel_dalembert.png

garrett_temple.png
shane_larkin.png

john_wall.png
iman_shumpert.png

Injury Report

New York Knicks
Washington Wizards
Andrea Bargnani - Strained Right Hamstring (OUT)Bradley Beal - Fractured left wrist (OUT)
Jose Calderon - Strained Right Calf (OUT)Martell Webster - Back surgery (OUT)

Today in Knicks history
97282452.jpg

November 4th, 1950Nat (Sweetwater) Clifton becomes the first African American player in New York Knicks history, suiting up in 87-76 loss at Tri-Cities. Clifton scores 16 points on 7-of-16 shooting and posts 12 rebounds and four assists.

Recent meetings
December 16, 2013The Washington Wizards outlasted the New York Knicks in a nail biter as Carmelo Anthony?s buzzer beater rimmed out which clinched the 102-101 victory for the Wizards at Madison Square Garden. Carmelo Anthony paced the New York Knicks with 32 points, five rebounds and three assists over 42 minutes. Carmelo Anthony has led the team in points in every game this season. This is the first time a players has led his team in points in 24 straight games since Nate ?Tiny? Archibald in the 1972-73 season. J.R. Smith posted 18 points on 5-11 shooting from down town over 37 minutes. This was the most Smith has scored since Nov. 20 versus Indiana (21 points). Tim Hardaway Jr. recorded 14 points on 5-6 shooting over 22 minutes. Washington was led by Martell Webster?s 30 points on 9-13 shooting (6-8 3PT) and five rebounds over 36 minutes. Bradley Beal posted 21 minutes, including the final Wizards eight points, on 9-16 shooting over 30 minutes. John Wall added 20 points and eight assists over 33 minutes. Bradley Beal rallied the Wizards from four down with two minutes to go scoring the teams final eight points including the game-winning layup with :06.9 left in the game. Carmelo Anthony?s last ditched effort fell short as time expired giving Washington the 102-101 victory over New York at the Garden
November 23, 2013After taking a 52-49 lead into the break, the turning point of the game came when the Knicks were outscored in the third quarter 27-17 and were never able to recover as they were defeated 98-89 by the Washington Wizards at the Verizon Center. Carmelo Anthony led the Knicks with 23 points and 12 rebounds over 41 with for a double-double. J.R. Smith posted 15 points and three rebounds over 30 minutes. Washington was paced by John Wall?s 31 points and seven assists over 40 minutes. Martell Webster added 19 points on 5-10 from down town.

tiger0330

Legend
That Wiz starting lineup looks better than the Knicks so I would say the oddsmakers would make the Wiz the favs. I'm going to check what the spread is.

tiger0330

Legend
That Wiz starting lineup looks better than the Knicks so I would say the oddsmakers would make the Wiz the favs. I'm going to check what the spread is.
Surprised the Knicks are 1 pt favorites, weren't the Knicks not supposed to make the playoffs?

Thanks for the great game thread. Fourth straight game to start the season against a top Eastern conference team. If we can continue to hold our own, minus that Chicago fiasco, it's going to be a real encouraging sign for the season. Let's go Knicks!

tiger0330

Legend
More and more I have to eat my words on this triangle. Seems to be working though some of the turnovers were because of the bigs passing out of the high post but you have to take that.

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo playing like crap, not hitting his shot and turning the ball over.

Fisher Fisher Fisher
Did we revert back to isolation .. yes we did practically all 18 turn-over was from isolation plays
Melo 7 turn-overs, 8-23 fg, holding the ball for selfish isolation plays bothered me throughout the game.
Fisher Fisher Fisher
The 3 guard lineup down the stretch didn't have a chance against the Wizards on either side of the court.
Especially, not any three guard lineup of Larkin - Shump - JR
Six minute left in the game "we suppose to be preparing a lineup of Dally, Stat, Melo, Shump, Calderon".
Fisher Fisher Fisher

mafra

Legend
Fisher Fisher Fisher
Did we revert back to isolation .. yes we did practically all 18 turn-over was from isolation plays
Melo 7 turn-overs, 8-23 fg, holding the ball for selfish isolation plays bothered me throughout the game.
Fisher Fisher Fisher
The 3 guard lineup down the stretch didn't have a chance against the Wizards on either side of the court.
Especially, not any three guard lineup of Larkin - Shump - JR
Six minute left in the game "we suppose to be preparing a lineup of Dally, Stat, Melo, Shump, Calderon".
Fisher Fisher Fisher

Officiating was atrocious. Washington was allowed to get up in our space, use both hands to pinch, push and pester anyone with or without the ball... a real disgrace. Officials allowed Wash to bully our movement with constant physicality... It wore us down. We normally are a jumpshooting team as it is. The way the game was called, we just gave up even trying to get to the paint. Then, to have the gall.... in our own gym... To award Was 12 third quarter free attempts to our 3? This is why we struggle at home.... We have no homecourt advantage. Every other team with a clear superstAr get home calls... Especially when playing teams without a star.

And, that crappy call to give wash the ball when it clearly went out of bounds on them... Huge play. We got the stop. Down 9. Momentum swinging our way.... Instead of our ball, Gooden drains the 3. Game over.

With that said... Terrible effort from Melo all night. Outplayed yet again by old man P?erce. Jumper wasn't working yet he refused to drive to hoop. Way too many turnovers. 18 points on 23 shots and 7 turnovers! Yikes. Twice now AT Home Melo h?s been awful. Loss squarely on him.

1-2 at home means same old this season. S? much for the improved energy. Still believe this is a 35-40 win team.

Shump and Larkin sloppy and couldnt run offense or get our forwards the ball.

We should have led by 20 at the half. Careless with ball, missing free throws, no defense from Amare. Almost felt like this team thought it could win just by showing up. I guess 2 wins made them think a parade was in order.

Wall stunk, no Beal. And we still lose in a laugher? A real disgrace tonight

Not sure why everything fell apart so dramatically in the 3rd quarter. Biggest headline after the game seems to be a possibly intentional low blow by JR Smith in the 2nd half. Not sure how true it is since I don't remember seeing it during the game live.

tiger0330

Legend
Not sure why everything fell apart so dramatically in the 3rd quarter. Biggest headline after the game seems to be a possibly intentional low blow by JR Smith in the 2nd half. Not sure how true it is since I don't remember seeing it during the game live.
This game was an example of what I said in the game thread against the Bulls. Pressure the ball handler and play the passing lanes and take advantage of the Knicks inexperience with the new offense and it's a blueprint for a win against the Knicks.

SVG is going to do exactly what the Bulls and Wiz did after seeing the game tapes. Looking to see what game adjustment Coach Fisher can make without a team practice.

"Couple the new triangle system the Knicks are learning with the Chicago pressure defense and it may be a night filled with turnovers and ugly basketball at MSG."