Game Thread: NY Knicks @ Milwaukee Bucks Wednesday Oct. 28 8PM

jimkcchief88

All Star
Great road win I might actually watch the home opener on TNT tomorrow night hopefully the boys can play with the same energy on national TV:)

Kiyaman

Legend
Props go to our guards defense .. Grant, Galloway, and Vucijac put a STOP to bucks guard passing-lanes
Plus O"Quinn STOPPED Monroe inside scoring .. Our defense made a 122 pt offense
LETS GO KNICKS!!!!!!

tiger0330

Legend
Props go to our guards defense .. Grant, Galloway, and Vucijac put a STOP to bucks guard passing-lanes
Plus O"Quinn STOPPED Monroe inside scoring .. Our defense made a 122 pt offense
LETS GO KNICKS!!!!!!
They got their hands on a lot of balls, I see Sasha and Grant had 7 steals between them. I liked the minutes distribution among the players, that's what Pop always does conserve his guys during the regular season to make a run in the playoffs. Also minimizes who starts if DFish distributes the minutes like this, Calderon can start every game just don't let him play more than 20.

Zinger didn't have a great shooting night percentage wise but he hit his freebies and was a presence inside, he altered a lot of shots, didn't get the block but made guys miss with his length. We're going to be a lot better defending the paint this year with Quinn, Rolo and Zinger.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
They got their hands on a lot of balls, I see Sasha and Grant had 7 steals between them. I liked the minutes distribution among the players, that's what Pop always does conserve his guys during the regular season to make a run in the playoffs. Also minimizes who starts if DFish distributes the minutes like this, Calderon can start every game just don't let him play more than 20.

Zinger didn't have a great shooting night percentage wise but he hit his freebies and was a presence inside, he altered a lot of shots, didn't get the block but made guys miss with his length. We're going to be a lot better defending the paint this year with Quinn, Rolo and Zinger.

I thought Fisher did an excellent job in the first half, letting the bench ride the wave (keeping Melo on the sidelines, getting rest, and not killing the momentum). I think we scored 63 points in the first half, and Anthony had 5 of those.

7 players in double figures... Most points in an opener in over two decades. All 11 Knicks score... They hold opponent under 100. Terrific effort all around.

There will be ups and downs, off nights, and whatnot. If the ball stops moving, there will be stretches where we find it difficult to find a second and third scoring options.

But... You see it clearly... Porz and Grant are NBA players. Galloway has improved his game and is poised to be the perfect 6th man. Derrick Williams has potential to be a really, really good player. O'Quinn and Lopez are professionals, who bring grit and toughness to compliment Thomas and Amundson.

For this team to make it to that next level, where they are a legitimate threat to make noise, Melo has to be an efficient scorer and the vet G combo of Calderon and Affalo have to consistently drain outside shots... MIL doubled Melo, Calderon was rusty and Affalo hurt. So what! We found out tonight that (with max effort) the supporting cast can step up.

Knicks forced 18 turnovers, they blocked shots...

This team certainly has depth, and if they bring the effort and bball iq night in and night out, teams without a legit superstar will struggle to push NYK around. This wasn't the case the last few years.

The key is not to force the issue on offense, avoid the unforced errors (limit turnovers) and stay active in the paint on defense. Keep playing like this, and teams will be forced to devise a more balanced defensive scheme, which will give Melo some space to work.

Monroe a monster on the boards and on offense, but he is a liability on defense. Just awful. I still take him over Lopez... But, at least Lopez contributes something on defense.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
This game was over by mid 2nd quarter. I definitely liked the hustle, fighting for rebounds, diving for balls. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves, the Bucks didn't show up to play. It's good for the Knicks tho considering the home opener tonight. Might as well wanna stay late to watch it.

Broadway

All Star
Galloway had a zone last night that was reminiscent last yr as to why he stuck around and got a deal. OTOH Williams and Grant are picking up right where they left off in preseason, which is more positive to see. #kporzee was productive but nothing stood out. He looks very clumsy and unsure of what he wants to do often. Last but not least the Bucks looked like pure trash.

All in all a win is a win....therefore at the very minimum 29 more gms to proving me wrong

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Galloway had a zone last night that was reminiscent last yr as to why he stuck around and got a deal. OTOH Williams and Grant are picking up right where they left off in preseason, which is more positive to see. #kporzee was productive but nothing stood out. He looks very clumsy and unsure of what he wants to do often. Last but not least the Bucks looked like pure trash.

All in all a win is a win....therefore at the very minimum 29 more gms to proving me wrong

Yea, a win is a win, but the bucks looked horrible, as you said the knicks had some bright spots, but my prediction of 30-34 wins is the same, the knicks started off last season with a win over the cavs.. and we see how that ended..

DrB

Benchwarmer
Anthony

Melo still has some glue on his hands and forces shots. I think he cares as much about his scoring as he does about winning. There are time he just forces shots and with this team it's no longer necessary. ON THE PLUS SIDE...he playing great defense, boxing out and rebounding. I think as he keeps getting double teamed he will find the open man. There was much more aggressiveness from LOPEZ which helped. The SECOND UNIT is much better than the starting five.

mafra

Legend
Melo still has some glue on his hands and forces shots. I think he cares as much about his scoring as he does about winning. There are time he just forces shots and with this team it's no longer necessary. ON THE PLUS SIDE...he playing great defense, boxing out and rebounding. I think as he keeps getting double teamed he will find the open man. There was much more aggressiveness from LOPEZ which helped. The SECOND UNIT is much better than the starting five.

Yeah. Melo hoisting up a 3 with 22 seconds on shot clock, with NY up by 15 and about 4 minutes left in the game or something? Yikes. Porz did it too.

Obviously, you dont make much of 1 game... But NY is in no position to downplay a win because of the opponent. We were one of the worst teams... So every win is laying the foundation to erecting a new normal for this season. Winning anything is building muscle memory.

The two rookies combined for 36 points (11-14 from FT line), 6 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 turnovers, and 1 block. Grant had a 5:0 assist:to ratio! And, hey, wait, I thought Porz couldnt contribute for 3-5 years? It matters not that he looked clumsy at times... the main point of emphasis was he looked like a factor at various points (aggressive, caused mismatches, swoosed a three pointer, made plays on defense). Porz looked much better than WCS, Winslow, Russell... Okafor had 8 turnover, Mudiay had 10 turnovers (despite both playing well)... Nerves are to be expected... Towns reminded us why losing the lottery sucked.

anyway...

That was the first time Mil began season at home in 31 years... MJ was in bis second year last time that happened. MIL was a playoff team, with a new shiny toy in the paint... Our bench served Kidd and Co a nice slice of humble pie.

with 5 games in 8 days, against playoff teams, we should bank every win we can and relish it.

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah. Melo hoisting up a 3 with 22 seconds on shot clock, with NY up by 15 and about 4 minutes left in the game or something? Yikes. Porz did it too.

Obviously, you dont make much of 1 game... But NY is in no position to downplay a win because of the opponent. We were one of the worst teams... So every win is laying the foundation to erecting a new normal for this season. Winning anything is building muscle memory.

The two rookies combined for 36 points (11-14 from FT line), 6 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 turnovers, and 1 block. Grant had a 5:0 assist:to ratio! And, hey, wait, I thought Porz couldnt contribute for 3-5 years? It matters not that he looked clumsy at times... the main point of emphasis was he looked like a factor at various points (aggressive, caused mismatches, swoosed a three pointer, made plays on defense). Porz looked much better than WCS, Winslow, Russell... Okafor had 8 turnover, Mudiay had 10 turnovers (despite both playing well)... Nerves are to be expected... Towns reminded us why losing the lottery sucked.

anyway...

That was the first time Mil began season at home in 31 years... MJ was in bis second year last time that happened. MIL was a playoff team, with a new shiny toy in the paint... Our bench served Kidd and Co a nice slice of humble pie.

with 5 games in 8 days, against playoff teams, we should bank every win we can and relish it.
Nice couple of posts Mafra, as usual by you.

You might be interested in the below link with stats from all the rooks. Towns, Okafor and Zinger performing right near the top, what you would expect from top 5 picks but Russell looking meh and Coach Scott was not happy with his defense.

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/...m=10/28/2015&DateTo=10/28/2015&sort=PTS&dir=1

mafra

Legend
Nice couple of posts Mafra, as usual by you.

You might be interested in the below link with stats from all the rooks. Towns, Okafor and Zinger performing right near the top, what you would expect from top 5 picks but Russell looking meh and Coach Scott was not happy with his defense.

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/...m=10/28/2015&DateTo=10/28/2015&sort=PTS&dir=1

Great link. Too early to tell, obviously, but doesn't mean we can't have fun and project.

LAK reached for DR over JO, and NYK reached for Porz over EM. Not to say DR and PORz don't have potential and talent, but the safer bet was to go the other direction. At least with us, we had a plan (we wanted Grant as our PG of the future).

still hurt the bouncing balls screwed us. But happy we ended up with a legit player and happy we went with the potential / upside prospect over a safe melo win now type guy (wcs, lyles, kaminsky, winslow).

Steezo

Benchwarmer
Great road win I might actually watch the home opener on TNT tomorrow night hopefully the boys can play with the same energy on national TV:)

If this team can remain healthy, this will be a nice season for Knicks fans. Even if we don't make the postseason, we're steadily climbing those stairs, to the point where we can become respectable and attract viable free agents again