If Duhon is benched who should start?

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Simple question. the viable candidates are Nate and Douglas. Hell, Hughes could even have an argument.

For the most recent game against the Wiz, Duhon was benched for the entire second half. Cuold this mean he will be benched for a while?

If so, who should start?

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
Probably should be Nate...of Nate, Hughes and Douglas he's probably most familiar with our system. I'd like to see Douglas get minutes though to see what we have.

tiger0330

Legend
N8 isn't a natural PG but it'll be his job to lose. He turned the game around in the second half and was the best player in this game. I think Walsh had a lot to do with D'ants making the move when he said he wasn't happy with teams effort.

CoolClyde

N8 Starting - To Percolate!!

Start N8 at PG, with Hughes, Douglas, THEN Duhound off the bench, if need be.
Start the players with confidence. sit the ones without.

N8 as a starter will get you 20 and 8, on a consistent basis. the more he starts, the better PG he will be.
He may have some off games, but what he makes up for in boosting team in spark and speed
make up for his sometimes poor shot selection and questionable passing.

Overall his incredible positives make up for his glaring negatives. N8 WILL SCORE, he will drive,
he will get the ball to Gallup, the Knicks will be a better starting team for it.

and start Al over Girafferies.
nate_tv.jpg

clumsy

Rotation player
Start N8 at PG, with Hughes, Douglas, THEN Duhound off the bench, if need be.
Start the players with confidence. sit the ones without.

N8 as a starter will get you 20 and 8, on a consistent basis. the more he starts, the better PG he will be.
He may have some off games, but what he makes up for in boosting team in spark and speed
make up for his sometimes poor shot selection and questionable passing.

Overall his incredible positives make up for his glaring negatives. N8 WILL SCORE, he will drive,
he will get the ball to Gallup, the Knicks will be a better starting team for it.

and start Al over Girafferies.

Jeffries has been our best player on the low. He can guard any position you need him playing 30 minutes if you want any shot of winning with this roster. I like a scorer like Nate or Al play in tandem with Jeffries cuz they prevent jeffreis from taking shots on offense. Nate isn't a great play maker and his size probably prevents him from ever having great court vision, but he's not dumb...he knows that driving to the hoop is a better option than hitting an open Jeffries.

I keep wavering whether or not Al and Nate can play together. Sometimes i think they can but other times i think these two need to be on the court at the same time as little as possible...

clumsy

Rotation player
Nate should start..with jeffries.
Larry hughes should backup prob come into the game with Al

That doens't mean that Nate should get more minutes than Larry Hughes neccesarily tho....D'Antoni needs to do a better job at gauging when Nate goes cold.

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
If Nate can keep up his effort of last nights game, he should be starter for at least 5-8 games. It's a stretch we're he can prove that he's able to run the show.
Plus: Mike D has to keep Hughes in the rotation, with Wil still the starter on SG, and Duhon can back up Nate for 15-20 Minutes a game.

But anyway, I still hope Donnie can make some deal before the deadline...

Blas

Benchwarmer
N8 as a starter will get you 20 and 8, on a consistent basis...

I will have to disagree. Nate is anything but a consistent player.

If he continues to play like he did last night he should be our starting PG, but he will not. He will do stupid things and frustrate us. It comes with the territory.

He should be starting over Duhon at this point, but do not expect us to be playoff caliber because of it.

I hope Nate proves me wrong.

metrocard

Legend
If Nate starts we have to bench Chandler...his ball handling/passing/creation sucks...and Nate has to play with a combo guard type SG like Hughes...similar to Iverson in 76ers or Arenas in Washington.

Robinson
Hughes
Gallinari
Lee
Jefferies

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I think our best starting lineup at this point is:

Pg- Hughes
SG- Nate
SF- Harrington
PF- Gallo
C- Lee

richtree

Rotation player
All of this talk proves my point!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikey D should be using a long rotation !!!!!!!

We don't have top players that creat matchup problems for other teams, so we must use all of our players when matchups are favorable.

If you were to play a very slow, princeton, defensive offense you could use a short rotation like the moive HOOSIERS>

but when you don't have a star in Mikey D's system, ESPECIALLY AT POINT GUARD< you need to rotate the matchups.

Watching the first half was brutal last night and the energy was horrible. We were lucky to get a win.

I couldn't help but think in the 2nd quarter that Bender and Jordan Hill could have defintalely helped give us a boost and some energy.

Gallo was sleep walking and it is evident that he cannot create or beat anyone of the dribble. He cant even make a jump shot off the dribble.

If he wants to be like Dirk, he needs to learn to live on the free throw line like Dirk. Gallo needs to improve his quickness.

Chandler is doing even better than I thought he would. I only want one thing from Chandler, intensity, intensity, intensity. EVEN AFTER CHANDLER DUNKS THE BALL, HE LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE STOLE HIS LUNCHBOX.

Lets face it, all true Knicks fans here at KO knew that Duhon can't play well through an NBA season. His body is frail and he doesn't put in the conditioning to become strong and survive the hump of the NBA season.

Duhon is good for 12-15 games then his body wears, and he is probably out partying too. Then he gets a second wind and his body breaks down again.

One thing is abundantly clear in this losing streak. Al Harrington is needed for this Knicks team to win. He makes the shots to stop runs. He makes the shots to extend leads. He makes the defense respect David Lee. He gets to the free throw line. He gets WINS>

I think Harrington, Lee, Nate, Chandler should be on the floor for the last 5 minustes of every game. Gallo and Jefferies should be and offensive defense sub situation.

MOST IMPORTANLY MIKE D'ANTONI SHOULD BECOME A MAN AND REALIZE THAT HE SHOULD ADAPT TO THE SITUATION AND PLAY A 10 MAN ROTATION UNTIL HE IS A STAR PLAYER ON THIS ROSTER AT PG OR SG.

HOW DOES MIKEY D EXPECT NATE, HUGHES, AND CURRY TO LEARN HUMILITY IF HE DOES NOT HAVE ANY...?

I am done for today..

rt

KBlack25

Starter
I will have to disagree. Nate is anything but a consistent player.

If he continues to play like he did last night he should be our starting PG, but he will not. He will do stupid things and frustrate us. It comes with the territory.

He should be starting over Duhon at this point, but do not expect us to be playoff caliber because of it.

I hope Nate proves me wrong.

Good post. I totally agree on Nate.

When he's good he's good, but fact is this guy sometimes plays like a total bonehead.

He reminds me sort of of Zach Randolph pre-Memphis. Good numbers overall, but just makes some silly plays. When Nate is playing well, penetrating, moving the ball well around the floor, he looks good. Then, on a rush with numbers, he tosses up a long three...he drives to the hole on a 1 on 3 fast break and throws up a crazy layup. He's got to play smarter to be a starter in this league on a consistent basis.

He should be given the shot, but a lot of the plays Nate make frustrate me, it's like a constant roller coaster ride with him, that's my biggest issue.

While I was for the Nate benching, I am also for Nate starting. I was for the Nate benching because we were winning games with him on the bench. Now, what we are doing, is not working, so D'Antoni is going to change it up, shake things up and start Nate. I'm fine with that do. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity, starting Duhon over and over again and expecting to start winning and just come out of this slump and horrible string of games is insane.

I'm glad D'Antoni is switching it up, I'm for this team winning. If Nate gives this team the best chance to win, then let him start. If he doesn't, then let him sit.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Good post. I totally agree on Nate.

When he's good he's good, but fact is this guy sometimes plays like a total bonehead.

He reminds me sort of of Zach Randolph pre-Memphis. Good numbers overall, but just makes some silly plays. When Nate is playing well, penetrating, moving the ball well around the floor, he looks good. Then, on a rush with numbers, he tosses up a long three...he drives to the hole on a 1 on 3 fast break and throws up a crazy layup. He's got to play smarter to be a starter in this league on a consistent basis.

He should be given the shot, but a lot of the plays Nate make frustrate me, it's like a constant roller coaster ride with him, that's my biggest issue.

While I was for the Nate benching, I am also for Nate starting. I was for the Nate benching because we were winning games with him on the bench. Now, what we are doing, is not working, so D'Antoni is going to change it up, shake things up and start Nate. I'm fine with that do. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity, starting Duhon over and over again and expecting to start winning and just come out of this slump and horrible string of games is insane.

I'm glad D'Antoni is switching it up, I'm for this team winning. If Nate gives this team the best chance to win, then let him start. If he doesn't, then let him sit.

Agree with everything you said. To add to that, it only makes sense to increase Nate's minutes as a starter. Sure he'll make some bad plays but will also make up for it with his scoring ability. Either way it has to be better than 40 min of Duhon on the court contributing nothing other than his usual pick and roll with Lee. I also suspect Walsh is urging Danphony to make some changes.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
One of the better games I've seen from the team this year

The roster against the Wizards was probably the best so far. Nate running point, Hughes and Harrington off the bench, and Duhon and Curry nowhere to be seen.

Awesome. If they keep it up like this, a 7th seed may even be possible.

Too bad none of them will be here next year. Heck, D'Antoni will probably bench Hughes by next game.

dlee420

Banned
???

Why in the world is this even a discussion who should start? I really wonder how many people have common sense on this site....

ANU

Starter
clearly it has to be nate.douglas in not ready to run point, and i don't think he ever will, so hughes should be the shooting guard to handle ball handling duties in the backcourt.

rotation should be

nate/douglas
chandler/hughes
jeffires/bender
gallinari/harrington
lee/hill

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
If D'antoni still wants to keep his eight man rotation, the real question is whether Duhon will still stay in it or be replaced. If he's replaced it'll be interesting to see whether Douglas, or Hill take the spot. I personally want to see both of them play because they're part of the future, but if I had to choose one, I'd rather see Hill get some minutes. But if he is going to remain in the rotation, he better come off the bench. This guy needs to get benched, he didn't show any spirit yesterday. If he wants to succed in this league he needs to bring intensity every ****ing game because he isn't all that talented. Hopefully he's out of the rotation for good, and it sends a message to him. As much as I hate DuDonkey, I know whenever he plays good, we win. So hopefully SOMETHING can get him to play decent.