In Phil's defense

tiger0330

Legend
I probably wouldn't even have so much of a problem with the pick if I knew he would be able to come in and play as much as possible from the start.. but listening to phil this kid sounds as if he is a year or two away.. well if that is the case the use this time to just let him learn, make his mistakes.. instead he is going to be watching carmelo chuck up shots and O quinn take up his minutes.. just doesn't make sense..
His minutes might change pretty quickly if the team lays an egg the first 30 games. O'Quinn is laughable as a starter, 49th pick who the Magic decided not to keep because Dewayne Dedmon took his minutes, I hope he blossoms with the Knicks but it's a long shot.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
His minutes might change pretty quickly if the team lays an egg the first 30 games. O'Quinn is laughable as a starter, 49th pick who the Magic decided not to keep because Dewayne Dedmon took his minutes, I hope he blossoms with the Knicks but it's a long shot.

I play daily fantasy a lot so I tend to follow a lot of players most people don't.. O'quinn had some good games filling in for vucevic, but then tailed off. as you said he is laughable as a starter, but at best I think he is just a marginal rotation player..

Best thing for the knicks will be for them to stink and let the guys like grant and porzingis get on the floor, stay on the floor and play through their mistakes... It is important we see what we have in these guys right now..

Kiyaman

Legend

Mario Hezonja or Early?

If Dolan didnt want to select Winslow with the 4th pick, the next pick shouldve been Kaminsky
Will Kaminsky have a better NBA career than Zingis? HELL YEAH!
Frank Kaminsky (16.5 points) (10.0 rebounds) is the only rookie currently averaging a double-double in the NBA Summer League Games

Phil decision to build from the FA market and the draft for the 2015-16 season has put together 14 players.
How do u Grade Phil Jackson moves in offseason? from 1 to 10 .. 10 being Good.
How many WINS do u predict the roster below will have?

Knicks Frontcourt players
7.1 Porzingis / 7.0 Lopez / 6.10 O'Quinn / 6.10 Seraphin
6.9 Amundson / 6.8 D.Williams / 6.8 Early / 6.8 Anthony

Knicks Backcourt players
6.2 Galloway / 6.3 Calderon / 6.5 Grant
6.5 Afflalo / 6.7 Thanis / 6.7 Vujacic / 6.8 L.Thomas

Knixy

Benchwarmer

I think Aldridge is just being nice. There was nothing Phil could've done to make us more desirable than San Antonio. Promising Aldridge the PF spot wouldn't have mattered.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Maybe so, but we didn't even get a MEETING because of Fail-Jackson and his newfound devotion to Zingis and the promises that have already been made. What happened to EARNING your spot in the lineup? Is this Fail-Jacksons pitch to KD as well this upcoming off-season? " I know you are a multiple time all-star, scoring champ, and an elite player in this league, but Zingis is my PF so you are going to have to play Center if you want to be a KNIcK." That sounds damn retarded doesn't it:(

Kiyaman

Legend
Aldridge was never coming here. Nothing to do with Phil or Porzingis.

True-Dat .... Aldridge would never sign on the same team as Carmelo Anthony, especially after what Melo did to teammate star PF Camby/K.Martin/Amare

Melo has been a SF receiving the majority of minutes at the PF spot for years
P.S. It's got so bad for Melo that good Centers dont want to be teammates with Melo

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Kiya that's just not true read the articles...Melo was recruiting Aldridge... It was Phil that screwed the pooch because I guess Zinger has been installed as our "Power Forward" without as much as an NBA dribble. That whole "dudes don't want to play with Melo" is an urban legend courtesy of the Melo haters... Melo is a popular member of Team USA... It's Fail Jackson and his antiquated Triangle offense free agents and draft picks besides ones who hail from countries we can't find on a map don't want to play for on Chief:(

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya that's just not true read the articles...Melo was recruiting Aldridge... It was Phil that screwed the pooch because I guess Zinger has been installed as our "Power Forward" without as much as an NBA dribble. That whole "dudes don't want to play with Melo" is an urban legend courtesy of the Melo haters... Melo is a popular member of Team USA... It's Fail Jackson and his antiquated Triangle offense free agents and draft picks besides ones who hail from countries we can't find on a map don't want to play for on Chief:(

Stop! Think? How much FA money Knicks had available on July 1st ???

Mavs Dirk almost got DeAndre

jimkcchief88

All Star
Aldrich, Monroe, Deandre, West, are the first of many free agents that aren't coming to NY because of Fail-Jackson, his triangle, and the Zinger being given the PF spot without earning it. Mark my words we will be having the same conversation next summer. Fail-Jackson's 12 million a year to bring big names is a joke. The biggest name thus far is the Zinger. Whoop dee do:(

tiger0330

Legend
Like Chief says, I don't think PJ has a clue. The latest from the Phil files and it's what I said in that "Could Phil and Mills be this dumb" thread. I agree with Knixy that Aldridge wasn't ever coming here but for a team to turn down a meeting with a top player like LMA is pretty dumb particularly when the Zinger's natural position maybe center.

It’s interesting, however, that Jackson fails to definitively call Porzongis a power forward, adding that he could also excel at the center position. He also played the five during NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. Last week, new Spurs’ big man LaMarcus Aldridge revealed that he cancelled his meeting with New York during free agency because the team made it clear they were committed to Porzingis at power forward and wanted the 30 year old to shift to center instead. Such an assertion was an unfortunate one, as the Knicks lost out on potentially reeling in a four-time NBA all-star.
As Jackson notes, Porizingis is very young and still stands to experience a transition into the NBA to see where he fits best. Nothing is necessarily set in stone just yet. As such, perhaps the Knicks should have been more open-minded to making a Porzingis/Aldridge tandem work.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Like Chief says, I don't think PJ has a clue. The latest from the Phil files and it's what I said in that "Could Phil and Mills be this dumb" thread. I agree with Knixy that Aldridge wasn't ever coming here but for a team to turn down a meeting with a top player like LMA is pretty dumb particularly when the Zinger's natural position maybe center.

Aldridge was never coming here....but still as an competent executive you don't manuver in the manner Phil has, running a franchise. He's been a near atrocity since day 1 on the job.

But I think this may be as comically bad....

"When we wound up with the fourth pick, I was hemming and hawing about how to choose," Jackson says. "I knew there were several outstanding prospects that would be available, but I was focused on getting a big man. My decision was essentially made when Clarence Gaines, my primary adviser and a super scout, told me there was a game tape I had to watch. This turned out to be a Spanish League contest between [Baloncesto] Sevilla and a team from Barcelona, a game that Sevilla had to win to avoid being downgraded from Division I to Division II status."

So clear as day KP is CG's pick not Phil's dude didn't have a clue what to do in the 23rd hour really. Had to be coaxed to pick him even in the 24th hour because he was trying to wheel and deal with the picks. He admitted after drafting him CG said...

"KP Is A Once In A Lifetime Pick That Couldn't Afford To Be Passed On"

But wait there's more

Jackson projects that Porzingis will add at least 10 pounds of muscle before his first season commences, yet concerns still linger over his prize draft pick. "LikeShawn Bradley, who was nevertheless a pretty good player, KP might almost be too tall for the game. What I mean is that his core strength might never be good enough, and that he might not be able to get low enough to get himself into prime defensive position to body power rebounders or drivers."

So here we have the extreme "high risk" particulars amongst others he fails to mention....such as foot problems and the ability to maintain lateral quickness at that size.

"It's entirely up to [coach Derek Fisher], but it would be great if KP could get as much as 20 minutes a game early in the season, plus maybe a few more later when he's acclimated to the NBA game. It also has to be determined whether he'll be more comfortable at power forward or center."

So Phil you sent out early vibes to Aldridge about KP being our 4 but then say here it's up to KP to decide where he's comfortable 4 or 5 and it's up to Fisher to develop him to eek out 20min/gm?

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
The tragic part of this comedy is that when it's all said and done Fail-Jacksons Knicks legacy will be WORSE than Isiah
That would be the ultimate insult to injury if after a 25-57 record ESPN is predicting for the team this year and PJ striking out again in FA because of the Knicks being an NBA doormat they have another horrendous year in 2016-2017 and Dolan tries to bring back Isiah to save the Knicks franchise from Fail-Jackson.

Let's hope the above scenario doesn't happen and the Knicks make the playoffs like Chuck predicts.

Kiyaman

Legend

It’s interesting, however, that Jackson fails to definitively call Porzongis a power forward, adding that he could also excel at the center position. He also played the five during NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. Last week, new Spurs’ big man LaMarcus Aldridge revealed that he cancelled his meeting with New York during free agency because the team made it clear they were committed to Porzingis at power forward and wanted the 30 year old to shift to center instead. Such an assertion was an unfortunate one, as the Knicks lost out on potentially reeling in a four-time NBA all-star.
As Jackson notes, Porizingis is very young and still stands to experience a transition into the NBA to see where he fits best. Nothing is necessarily set in stone just yet. As such, perhaps the Knicks should have been more open-minded to making a Porzingis/Aldridge tandem work.

We all should know by now that .. ever since Melo arrived he receive 40 minutes of playingtime, and 30 of those minutes has been at the PF spot. Melo at the SF spot didnt have any success in lineups with Tyson/Amare/Melo, nor Tyson/Barg/Melo, nor Dalembert/Amare/Melo

LaMarcus Aldridge knows how many minutes Melo will demand per game from Fisher, plus he knows what position Melo will demand to play at for 30 minutes per game. After watching Zingis in the SL games he will be lucky to average above 15 minutes of playingtime in regular season

On June 25th. Phil were suppose to draft Kaminsky or Winslow with the 4th pick.
On July 1st. Phil was suppose to invite Gasol, DeAndre, and Monroe to a NY lunch.