J.R. Smith set to return ( Wednesday )

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I also think any time we have a chance to add talent we should. Our entire team was depleted last year. Having Smith at the least would allow us to do that. He needs minutes I know ,however as you can see people get hurt.

:2cents:

iSaYughh

Starter
Can you imagine the possibilities if Phil had the opportunity to coach this lineup?

It's a sick ****ing lineup. Top 5 in NBA, easy; probably top3, and possibly #1.

I think it's good enough for Phil to come back and be willing to coach it, too.

See what happens rest of the year.....if we make the Finals and look poised to only improve as a team, you'd still want to let MDA go? Idk if Dolan ever would in that scenario.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
He's most likely going to the Knicks I read NY has the most money and he's from Jersey so he'll be close to home.

The Knicks can't pass up getting JR he's he spark you need when the bench is struggling. If NY did get JR I'd still start Fields and go with a 3 guard rotation for the bench with BD-JR-Shumpert. That way you have a good vet PG that can get guys the ball in the right spots, instant offense in JR to bail you out, and Shumpert to shut down the other teams 6th man whether it's 1,2 or 3.

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
JR is a novel addition to the team because he's the closest thing to a pure shooting SG that we'd have, and he has legit range.

These qualities will be made more important when Melo and Amare are put back into the lineup.

Nobody should be sold on Fields as our starting SG, either, IMO -- especially when Melo/Amare are back.

Shumpert is still raw and prone to inconsistency; JR will allow us to use Shumpert more sparingly, perhaps, but also more effectively.

We need as much talent as possible; we could use a real shooter from the 2, with range.

If JR acts like a punk and plays like shit, he just won't be played. And he's going to be getting paid 2.5M on a team with Tyson Chandler, Amare, Melo, Lin, etc. If he acts like a punkbitch, the only ramifications will be him being branded a punkbitch.

EXACTLY!!!

Anyone who can't see this is blind by the moment. This team still doesn't have a 2 guard that can bang an open 3 pointer with consistency. Actually we don't have any guard point or shooting that can do that. In an offense Like D'antoni's, with players like Amare, Melo, and even Lin, this addition can take our team to the next level. Look what Lin has done for Steve freaking Novak.

If we can get some great shooting at the #2 I am all for it. Additionally, to anyone who says we have more than enough depth, this is going to be a grueling season. As the year goes on players will become more and more tired and likely to get injured. You can never have too much Depth.

Lin cannot afford to play this many minutes a game, Shumpert can't distribute, Mike Bibby is atrocious, Tony Douglas has one of the worst shooting percentages in the league, and no one knows if Baron Davis is even going to play, let alone how good he will be if he comes back.

We can really use J.R. and I hope we sign this guy.

And like iSayughh said, with Chandler on this team players will be held accountable.

Forrest17

Rotation player
I for one am tired of people say we don't need talent here or there.. People didn't want players like Jamal crawford because we wouldn't "need" scoring because we had Melo and Amar'e...

If you have the opportunity to sign a good role player like this do it, there is no reason not to. I seriously seriously doubt someone like him would disrupt or ruin the chemistry of the team.. I mean what could he possibly do? Chuck shots? At least he will hit most of them unlike Bill Walker.

We need depth at guard BADLY. Even though he is a shooting guard, this will probably make it so we can get Lin more minutes on the bench and not have to play him so much every game, and not have to keep waiting for Baron Davis..

And when he comes back? GREAT Now we can toy with the roster even more, Depth and options is never a bad thing.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I for one am tired of people say we don't need talent here or there.. People didn't want players like Jamal crawford because we wouldn't "need" scoring because we had Melo and Amar'e...

If you have the opportunity to sign a good role player like this do it, there is no reason not to. I seriously seriously doubt someone like him would disrupt or ruin the chemistry of the team.. I mean what could he possibly do? Chuck shots? At least he will hit most of them unlike Bill Walker.

We need depth at guard BADLY. Even though he is a shooting guard, this will probably make it so we can get Lin more minutes on the bench and not have to play him so much every game, and not have to keep waiting for Baron Davis..

And when he comes back? GREAT Now we can toy with the roster even more, Depth and options is never a bad thing.

Word I can't comprehend why someone wouldn't wanna add depth to their team especially a pure scoring SG 6th man.

insanity4289

Benchwarmer

Jamal Crawford was not the answer for this team at the beginning of the season

Forrest17

Rotation player
Jamal Crawford was not the answer for this team at the beginning of the season

He doesn't need to be "the answer", he just needs to be a good player and add depth to the roster, which he is and which he would have... and hes 100 times better than Toney Douglas who we could have gotten him for.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Word I can't comprehend why someone wouldn't wanna add depth to their team especially a pure scoring SG 6th man.
I can't understand why someone would wanna add a sg, where we already have 2 sufficient possibly great players, when its very obvious our biggest/only need is a 2nd pg. Toney Douglas can heat up from 3 if thats all you want. Nobody can catch a hot streak and just start seeing the floor.

Crazy⑧s;206014 said:
With Shump and Fields doing exceptionally well at the 2, never mind Smith's reputation as a disruption, is there really room for him?

I'm not so sure.
Like i said in another thread. We can move Fields to backup SF, which suits his game better.

portega1968

El Cacique
Like a said in another thread. We can move Fields to backup SF, which suits his game better.

Hey Landry, good job these past couple of weeks. You are playing much better!!!

So, even though we appreciate your hard work, starting tomorrow (since we were so lucky to sign the most awesome SG available), we need you to come off the bench and backup Melo, ok?

free-poster-ibwv4sws2w-DUMBFOUNDED.jpg

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I can't understand why someone would wanna add a sg, where we already have 2 sufficient possibly great players, when its very obvious our biggest/only need is a 2nd pg. Toney Douglas can heat up from 3 if thats all you want. Nobody can catch a hot streak and just start seeing the floor.

First of all where is NY gonna get this miracle back up PG?

2nd Fields or Shump(yes Shump can guard 3's especially back up 3's) can slide over to the 3 it won't matter at all.

3rd Baron Davis will be back eventually just give him time and he'll be more than a fine back up PG

4th Why would you put your faith in a under size no confidence having TD when JR Smith can give you everything your hoping TD can be right off the bat.

How can some of you really wanna turn down a legit 6th man of the year candidate

Forrest17

Rotation player

3 possibly great players is better than 2.. Especially because injury is always a possibility. If any one of our guards goes down we've got NOTHING in the back court.

We do need another PG a little bit more than a 2 guard, but there aren't any other point guards worth giving the 2.5 million room exception we have out there for the rest of the season, which disappears if we don't use it soon.

The only way we get a good passing PG is with a trade, which we can more afford to do if we sign smith. We can ship toney off anywhere we want now

portega1968

El Cacique
How can some of you really wanna turn down a legit 6th man of the year candidate

He doesn't see himself as a legit 6th man of the year candidate... he sees himself as needing to show he can be the man so he can get big money next summer.

If he were ready to fit in, it would be a no-brainer. But this guy has never provided a hint as to that being possible in his world.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I guess since Knicks haven't had any playoff success in the last 10 years or something that some of you don't realize that your gonna need all the scoring you can get.

There's gonna be times when team are gonna lock down and the offensive systems not gonna be working and NY is gonna have to throw the ball to Melo and Amare and watch them go to work it would be great if NY had a 3rd person to dump the ball to in JR especially when the bench is out and ride his back.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
He doesn't see himself as a legit 6th man of the year candidate... he sees himself as needing to show he can be the man so he can get big money next summer.

If he were ready to fit in, it would be a no-brainer. But this guy has never provided a hint as to that being possible in his world.

He was always a 6th candidate in Den only reason he never won is because Manu and Jason Terry were always better than him, and never had any problem coming off the bench.

JR is a beast and if the Knicks sign him after a few weeks you'll be happy, having instant offense off the bench puts the Knicks over the top when fully healthy.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
I guess since Knicks haven't had any playoff success in the last 10 years or something that some of you don't realize that your gonna need all the scoring you can get.

There's gonna be times when team are gonna lock down and the offensive systems not gonna be working and NY is gonna have to throw the ball to Melo and Amare and watch them go to work it would be great if NY had a 3rd person to dump the ball to in JR especially when the bench is out and ride his back.

when the defense is locking it down you need a pg who can disrupt the defense and create openings.......hmmmm where have we seen this lead to 5 straight wins before?

Forrest17

Rotation player
when the defense is locking it down you need a pg who can disrupt the defense and create openings.......hmmmm where have we seen this lead to 5 straight wins before?

And what happened when they were tired and had to play too many minutes because we have no bench?

Laundry and Lin got wiped and Shumpert fouled out.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
And what happened when they were tired and had to play too many minutes because we have no bench?

Laundry and Lin got wiped and Shumpert fouled out.

if we get someone that can play TRUE PG for 15 minutes lin wont be that tired and you'll have to chose between keeping him out of the lane, being in position to stop stat, keep the ball from melo, etc. that will wreak havoc on defenses. more so than a 1 man show.

think about it....lin can get jeffries easy points. you dont need a pure scorer. you need someone to keep lin fresh. if we could get flynn or sessions for jr i'd write up his contract myself lol

Forrest17

Rotation player
He was always a 6th candidate in Den only reason he never won is because Manu and Jason Terry were always better than him, and never had any problem coming off the bench.

JR is a beast and if the Knicks sign him after a few weeks you'll be happy, having instant offense off the bench puts the Knicks over the top when fully healthy.

Yeah totally.

If the Knicks get him because Glen Grunwald smartly held on to the 2.5 room exception instead of wasting it on Shawn Williams like everyone wanted him to then he deserves GM of the year.

Especially because he found a BETTER shooter in Steve novak, not to mention signing Tyson Chandler and finding a diamond in the rough in Lin.