Knicks looking for an upgrade at PG

Who would be the best option to replace Duhon?

• Total voters

KBlack25

Starter
I wouldn't classify Eric Gordon as a PG, he's more of a short SG. But the point remains we should have drafted a solid guard especially with so many available. Could Gallo be good? Sure, I'm not convinced he won't be yet (though his injuries really bother me). But he's not the player we needed in D'Antoni's system.

In terms of this poll, I'd have to think Nash is the most likely to sign here for a reasonable price (MLE), so he's the guy I'd pick, but any one of them would be fine for the MLE in my eyes.

dave2138

Rotation player
Nash? There's not a chance Phoenix doesn't pick up his 2009/2010 team option. When that team is healthy, they are just as good as anyone in the west except the Lakers. Why break that up now? 2010/2011 they start rebuilding with Stoudemire/Shaq/Nash becoming FA.

My opinion is to keep Robinson and let him develop more as a starting point guard. I also don't object to them drafting the best point guard available in the draft. For this team though, the position doesn't matter, just get the best player available and find a way to work it out.

KBlack25

Starter
Nash? There's not a chance Phoenix doesn't pick up his 2009/2010 team option. When that team is healthy, they are just as good as anyone in the west except the Lakers. Why break that up now? 2010/2011 they start rebuilding with Stoudemire/Shaq/Nash becoming FA.

My opinion is to keep Robinson and let him develop more as a starting point guard. I also don't object to them drafting the best point guard available in the draft. For this team though, the position doesn't matter, just get the best player available and find a way to work it out.

I'd say there's a better chance than you think of them not picking up the option. In these tough economic times, why pay a guy double what he'd fetch on the open market? He's getting old, and they can cut salary quicker here.

Teams, especially in the NBA, are in economic turmoil, which you can't help but factor.

dave2138

Rotation player
You have a point, but I just say in their point of view they have 1 more year with a realistic shot at going deep into the playoffs if everyone is healthy. Then start rebuilding, going with cheap young players after next year.

Its not like Nash is done as a player, hes still 50% fg, 90% free throws, 15 pts 10 assists a game.

Also to top it off, they gave their 2010 1st round pick to Oklahoma already, so losing won't even help them rebuild.

If financially Phoenix can't hold on to their best player for 1 more year, I'd hate to be a fan of them.

We'll see though, maybe I don't know how bad things really are for some NBA teams. In my opinion though, I see the knicks getting Steve Nash for next year as likely as them getting Rubio by winning the lottery.

KBlack25

Starter
You have a point, but I just say in their point of view they have 1 more year with a realistic shot at going deep into the playoffs if everyone is healthy. Then start rebuilding, going with cheap young players after next year.

Its not like Nash is done as a player, hes still 50% fg, 90% free throws, 15 pts 10 assists a game.

Also to top it off, they gave their 2010 1st round pick to Oklahoma already, so losing won't even help them rebuild.

If financially Phoenix can't hold on to their best player for 1 more year, I'd hate to be a fan of them.

We'll see though, maybe I don't know how bad things really are for some NBA teams. In my opinion though, I see the knicks getting Steve Nash for next year as likely as them getting Rubio by winning the lottery.

I mean, I'm not entirely sure how crippled each team is. But after missing the playoffs this year, I'm not too sure how keen Suns management is on their lineup. I know Kerr kind of hates the lineup (hence the roster changes he made before D'Antoni left. I could see them just letting Nash go play the open market or trying to renegotiate the contract. If Nash is on the open market (which is the biggest hurdle) I think NY is his destination.

dave2138

Rotation player
They missed the playoffs because of Stoudemire missing half the year. With a healthy lineup they are could have easily been the #2 seed in the west. The same goes for next year. I guess if they really want to rebuild, they would try and trade Nash for some draft picks..I guess that is a possibility who knows.

We'll see I guess.

I'd rather just go with the same team we have next year with the addition of the draft pick and the 09/10 offseason make the major moves.

metrocard

Legend
I'm not really concerned with our point guard situation: Duhon passes, can knock down an open shot and, every once in a while, get a layup, in traffic. You can do better, but that's not very important, at this stage. For years, we played with Ward and Childs, and we were competitive. Those guys aren't half of what Duhon is, but we were winning. If you want a championship, you might have to get someone better; but, then again, the Lakers were winning titles with Ron Harper at the point.

What we truly need is a competent center. Pau Gasol would have been ideal, but Isiah was only offering Malik Rose and Nate Robinson. Brook Lopez is already a good center, with a lot of upside; but, we let him go for Gallinari. It's over and done with, but we should still pursue a center, in this year's draft. I doubt there's anyone as good as Lopez in there, but we should get the best possible big that we can. We definitely need two guards: a point and a shooting guard; but a center has to be our focus, when it comes to the draft.

Ricky Rubio should definitely not be an option for this team
. We've already dipped into the pool of Euro talent, let someone else take him. If we choose to blow our draft pick on a point guard, who won't make us a competitive team in the short run (only rookie point that's done that is Paul), I'd rather take Lawson, whoever he is: an NCAA player, than roll the dice on a guy that's unproven and hyped up on his performance in a 16 and under league.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

JayJ44

Starter
Here is a list of point guards who were availible with the 6th pick of last year's draft and their averages in points/assists this season: Eric Gordon 16/3, DJ Augustine 12/3.5, Westbrook 15/5, even Mario Chalmers at 10/5. That doesn't include Rose and Mayo who were already off the board. And your point is??????

Gordon a PG? :lol:

Westbrook was drafted 4th by the Sonics/Thunder. He wasn't available.

I like Chalmers. But you wanted to draft him 6th overall? No way that would have happened. We could of bought a 2nd round draft pick and got him, which I believe Walsh tried to do. The deal fell through unfortunately.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I wouldn't classify Eric Gordon as a PG, he's more of a short SG. But the point remains we should have drafted a solid guard especially with so many available. Could Gallo be good? Sure, I'm not convinced he won't be yet (though his injuries really bother me). But he's not the player we needed in D'Antoni's system.

In terms of this poll, I'd have to think Nash is the most likely to sign here for a reasonable price (MLE), so he's the guy I'd pick, but any one of them would be fine for the MLE in my eyes.

Thank you. At least one person got my post.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
??????????????????????????????????????????????????

He's been hyped up since an article came out in some basketball magazine, back in '06 or something, where they were talking about his play in a 16 and under league, against Russia, I believe. I think people need to step back and look at stuff objectively. The guy choked against mediocre Olympic teams, like Greece, couldn't score against them and turned the ball over like there was no tomorrow. In Euro league play, he has stunk throughout.

I don't want to critique him, until he's in the NBA: it's a different system, but I don't want another Euro player. We need someone like Lopez, Mayo or Gordon: NCAA talent, please. I know that Euro players can be great, like Nowitzki for example, but I'm bitter about the Gallinari draft and want to go the safe route.

Besides, I want a center, a real one. If a good one isn't available, a 2 guard would be welcomed. A free agent point guard signing would be good for the Knicks. I don't know who's out there, though. My belief is that point guards are important and have to be chosen wisely, but I believe the game, whether it's passing or penetration, does not lie in the hands of one player: a team full of bad team players will be ineffective, regardless of who runs the point. And I don't believe that the point is the most important position. I believe games are won in the paint.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
I'm not really concerned with our point guard situation: Duhon passes, can knock down an open shot and, every once in a while, get a layup, in traffic. You can do better, but that's not very important, at this stage. For years, we played with Ward and Childs, and we were competitive. Those guys aren't half of what Duhon is, but we were winning. If you want a championship, you might have to get someone better; but, then again, the Lakers were winning titles with Ron Harper at the point.

What we truly need is a competent center. Pau Gasol would have been ideal, but Isiah was only offering Malik Rose and Nate Robinson. Brook Lopez is already a good center, with a lot of upside; but, we let him go for Gallinari. It's over and done with, but we should still pursue a center, in this year's draft. I doubt there's anyone as good as Lopez in there, but we should get the best possible big that we can. We definitely need two guards: a point and a shooting guard; but a center has to be our focus, when it comes to the draft.

Ricky Rubio should definitely not be an option for this team. We've already dipped into the pool of Euro talent, let someone else take him. If we choose to blow our draft pick on a point guard, who won't make us a competitive team in the short run (only rookie point that's done that is Paul), I'd rather take Lawson, whoever he is: an NCAA player, than roll the dice on a guy that's unproven and hyped up on his performance in a 16 and under league.

Co- sign. Without a big (repeated) a PG won't matter. My question is why is ANYONE considering another veteran in Nash or Kidd at this point? Seriously I know they were great HOF but here is the lesson WE ALL SHOULD HAVE LEARNED... We can lose with what we have! We don't need to address a position with an aged player just to have the same results. Will Nash or Kidd improve on our 29th ranked Defense or league worst opponent's FG %? No. So why are they even considered?

Red

TYPE-A
2010 Plan

I understand the 2010 plan. Its not to acquire 2 MVP's in 2010 or win a champ. in 2010. Its to remove enuff contracts to become legit and competitive by 2010. Its to have 2 All/Super-stars by that year. No matter our bench or supporting players or coach it's 2 All/Super-stars by then. That said we have the means to get at least 1 before then with our assets (expiring contracts etc...). But the 1 we may get b4 then HAS to be either 1) A dominate Big Man or 2) A go to guy. Its simple. After watching D'antoni's so called offense for a yr I noticed a PG is really overated for his "system". We just see it as a glaring need b/c Duhon is garbage. But when considered ANY TEAM can use a high asst/ low turnover PG who can play D on the perimeter, with speed and vision. That's a no brainer! But without interior D it wouldn't matter if you had Chris Paul starting. You build from the inside out. EVERY ATTEMPT MUST BE MADE TO ACQUIRE A BIG MAN THIS OFFSEASON. If just that we will instantly become competitive w/ the scrubs we have and have a higher chance of attracting a All/Super-star by 2010. No more limited PG's, undersized PF's or D-Leagueers... a Center you dumb motherf*ckers...!

GetRealistic

Starter
He's been hyped up since an article came out in some basketball magazine, back in '06 or something, where they were talking about his play in a 16 and under league, against Russia, I believe. I think people need to step back and look at stuff objectively. The guy choked against mediocre Olympic teams, like Greece, couldn't score against them and turned the ball over like there was no tomorrow. In Euro league play, he has stunk throughout.

I don't want to critique him, until he's in the NBA: it's a different system, but I don't want another Euro player. We need someone like Lopez, Mayo or Gordon: NCAA talent, please. I know that Euro players can be great, like Nowitzki for example, but I'm bitter about the Gallinari draft and want to go the safe route.

Besides, I want a center, a real one. If a good one isn't available, a 2 guard would be welcomed. A free agent point guard signing would be good for the Knicks. I don't know who's out there, though. My belief is that point guards are important and have to be chosen wisely, but I believe the game, whether it's passing or penetration, does not lie in the hands of one player: a team full of bad team players will be ineffective, regardless of who runs the point. And I don't believe that the point is the most important position. I believe games are won in the paint.

I semi agree with you. I'm not as down on Rubio as you appear to be but i do agree that getting a big man like Thabeet, Monroe, or Griffen would trump picking Rubio.

But if were sitting at the 4th or 5th pick and the legit big men canidates are gone i'd have no problem with rolling the dice on Rubio. And if your not sold on Rubio i'd also consider trading down to around the 10 or 12th pick and grabbing Ty Lawson and obtaining another asset.

KBlack25

Starter
I semi agree with you. I'm not as down on Rubio as you appear to be but i do agree that getting a big man like Thabeet, Monroe, or Griffen would trump picking Rubio.

But if were sitting at the 4th or 5th pick and the legit big men canidates are gone i'd have no problem with rolling the dice on Rubio. And if your not sold on Rubio i'd also consider trading down to around the 10 or 12th pick and grabbing Ty Lawson and obtaining another asset.

Monroe and Griffin, I agree with you.

Thabeet no. I'd take Rubio ten times out of ten over Thabeet. Thabeet reeks of a slightly taller Roy Hibbert to me. No thank you. He'll fool a team with his size, and will be out of the league quickly.

GetRealistic

Starter
Monroe and Griffin, I agree with you.

Thabeet no. I'd take Rubio ten times out of ten over Thabeet. Thabeet reeks of a slightly taller Roy Hibbert to me. No thank you. He'll fool a team with his size, and will be out of the league quickly.

Maybe. But in my opinion Thabeet has much more lateral quickness then Roy Hibbert ever did. He still needs years of work on the offensive end but i feel from day one he can come in and be a shotblocker and rebounder that will average 10 points because he'll run the floor and get chearp putback points.

Thabeet is deffinately a risk but he's far more advanced then Roy Hibbert.

KBlack25

Starter
Maybe. But in my opinion Thabeet has much more lateral quickness then Roy Hibbert ever did. He still needs years of work on the offensive end but i feel from day one he can come in and be a shotblocker and rebounder that will average 10 points because he'll run the floor and get chearp putback points.

Thabeet is deffinately a risk but he's far more advanced then Roy Hibbert.

We'll see, I simply meant in terms of they are both centers whose size improves their draft stock way higher than it should be. If Hibbert was 7' or 6'11" instead of 7'2" he wouldn't be in the league, or would've been at best an early to mid 2nd rounder.

Last edited:

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Co- sign. Without a big (repeated) a PG won't matter. My question is why is ANYONE considering another veteran in Nash or Kidd at this point? Seriously I know they were great HOF but here is the lesson WE ALL SHOULD HAVE LEARNED... We can lose with what we have! We don't need to address a position with an aged player just to have the same results. Will Nash or Kidd improve on our 29th ranked Defense or league worst opponent's FG %? No. So why are they even considered?

In my experience watching players, in semi-pro leagues, etc., it all depends on what they use, when playing: brains or brawn. Nash uses his speed, so he's not going to be playing at a high level, in all likelihood, for much longer. Kidd, on the other hand, doesn't use much physical talent to do what he does: it's all craftiness and brains. However - Kidd is a guy you'd take for a couple more years, max, because he's approaching his late 30's.

A guy that could work, however, is Andre Miller: he's about to be 33, but he doesn't really use speed or power in his game, mainly he's crafty and uses his brain to execute. This means that it won't matter how old he gets, for the next 3-4 years: it won't negatively affect his game, and he can likely play well into his late 30's, because he doesn't rely on physical talent as much as other points do.

I am down on Rubio, unlike all the people buying into the hype (they should know better), because I saw him play in the Olympics, expecting to see Pistol Pete, and, instead, I saw Chris Quinn. The guy has no hops, mediocre speed, is turnover prone, and has no jumper. He penetrates and scores on these Euro guys, who have no jumping ability themselves and lack aggression, but, in the NBA, they'll eat him alive.

If we get the 4th or 5th pick, I agree: take him as an asset and then trade down for someone else and a valuable, cheap player: maybe dump Curry.

Last edited: