Knicks Reject New Offer from Denver

tiger0330

Legend
Surprised Donnie didn't do this deal. You're swapping 3 rotation guys for 2 starters, Curry doesn't count. I bet if you plug this into ESPN trade machine the Knicks have the plus win advantage with this deal.

Donnie playing hardball with Denver, good for him.
Just ran Gallo, Moz, Felton, Curry for Billups and Melo through ESPN trade machine and we have a projected +3 wins to Denvers -11 if we do this deal. Donnie couldn't have turned this down, I believe the 5 starters and draft pick proposal.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4mcjcjw

Last edited:

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
Even funnier is the replys that I see from the Denver forum who are accusing us of lowballing for said superstar when in reality if they don't do something they will be in that Toronto/Cleveland up the creek mode.

Denver is asking for our entire damn starting lineup - Stat and our 6th man Chandler. We might have been lowballing them with our original offer, but they are just being outlandish!

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
Denver is asking for our entire damn starting lineup - Stat and our 6th man Chandler. We might have been lowballing them with our original offer, but they are just being outlandish!

Outlandish is right, unless we can get another team involved and or substitute Nene for Billups, while keeping Ray, that is hella steep price to pay, I don't care who it is. If we do the deal that way, we need to try and pry a PG from somewhere. ESPN mentioned we are looking at Ramon Sessions, whose deal expires at the end of 2013. I think that rumor is false based on what Donnie has cryptically outlined as his plan for the future. A stopgap in the meantime would be Telfair, even though I really don't want another member of that lineage in orange and blue, he would be serviceable and his deal ends this summer.

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
OK...so let's play devils advocate and look at this from the Nuggets side and see if this really makes any sense at all....

We(Nuggets) offer Billups and our beloved/hated superstar Melo to you(NY) in exchange for...

Chandler-
Gallo-
Felton-
Fields-
Mozgov-

Our problem(Nuggets) is we get these guys and are significantly worse off that we were before... it's like adding these guys to the Cavs or Raptors.....going nowhere fast. Meanwhile NY gets our coveted superstar and they are off to the 2nd round of the playoffs...maybe more.

This is how Denver is perceiving this trade....Now as we have said before that this is better than waiting till the summer and get nothing I think Denver may be willing to play Russian roulette that Melo may not leave that money on the table when push comes to shove.

Either way we look pretty for the foreseeable future with Melo or without Melo and some salary cap room for someone else.

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
OK...so let's play devils advocate and look at this from the Nuggets side and see if this really makes any sense at all....

We(Nuggets) offer Billups and our beloved/hated superstar Melo to you(NY) in exchange for...

Chandler-
Gallo-
Felton-
Fields-
Mozgov-

Our problem(Nuggets) is we get these guys and are significantly worse off that we were before... it's like adding these guys to the Cavs or Raptors.....going nowhere fast. Meanwhile NY gets our coveted superstar and they are off to the 2nd round of the playoffs...maybe more.

This is how Denver is perceiving this trade....Now as we have said before that this is better than waiting till the summer and get nothing I think Denver may be willing to play Russian roulette that Melo may not leave that money on the table when push comes to shove.

Either way we look pretty for the foreseeable future with Melo or without Melo and some salary cap room for someone else.

That's what Donnie is thinking. They want to try and play with us, fine. He isn't budging on his stance and it's too steep anyways. Let Denver send him to NJ if they finally concede to it. More than likely Ujiri doesn't know what he wants and asks for more again from NJ and NJ balks and backs out yet again looking like fools. We get a call at 2:58 PM next week and they have to take whatever we give them at that point.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
at this rate we wont even have enough players to dress for a game.

literally

with bukie injured

getting rid of 5 guys for 2

we would be stuck around 10 players active lol.

Denver is just trying to push us off right now.

Its alright. We only play 8 guys most nights anyways :). Plus, Earl Barren will assuredly be picked up.

Gallo, Felton, first rounder, curry... that is where they will prob end up.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
Carmelo Anthony will finally meet face-to-face with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov over All-Star weekend, sources tell ESPN.com.
:boohoo:

The Nuggets are encouraging Anthony to meet with Prokhorov because they covet Derrick Favors more than any other player mentioned. But the Nets will only trade for Anthony if he is willing to sign an extension, so this meeting is significant. Prokhorov has a steep task ahead of him -- convincing Anthony that playing in Newark/Brooklyn with Brook Lopez is better than playing in Madison Square Garden with Amare Stoudemire. For now, Melo's most likely destination is New Jersey or New York. ESPN notes that the Mavs and Rockets appear to be pulling out.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Carmelo Anthony will finally meet face-to-face with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov over All-Star weekend, sources tell ESPN.com.
:boohoo:

The Nuggets are encouraging Anthony to meet with Prokhorov because they covet Derrick Favors more than any other player mentioned. But the Nets will only trade for Anthony if he is willing to sign an extension, so this meeting is significant. Prokhorov has a steep task ahead of him -- convincing Anthony that playing in Newark/Brooklyn with Brook Lopez is better than playing in Madison Square Garden with Amare Stoudemire. For now, Melo's most likely destination is New Jersey or New York. ESPN notes that the Mavs and Rockets appear to be pulling out.

Crap... Prokhorov is supposed to be pretty convincing... Well, we will see. Don't think I would want to play for a Nets team that couldn't beat the Knicks w/o Amar'e, but this will be interesting.

KingofNy

Starter
At the very least we're going to have to give up at least:

Felton
Gallo
Curry
and a 1st.

I wish Donnie would just put this offer on the table and say this is the most we're willing to give up so take it or leave it.

IMO Anthony is getting scared and might just take the NJ deal just because he doesn't want to be stuck in a city he hates, losing out on all that guaranteed money and having his wife b*tch at him for the next year because they're stuck in Denver waiting for the labor negotiations to get fixed which might not even happen. Then you will have a superstar player with NO contract and NO money. We need to send them a fair offer and get this trade done before the weekend if we want to walk out of these talks with Anthony.

I'd focus on building the team this year and getting Anthony while we can rather than trying to keep our guys just to get to the second round of the playoffs this season. Yes we might not do as good losing the players listed this season, but after the offseason we'd have a ton of guys with equal talent looking to sign here just for a chance to get a ring. We need to look to the future and stop living on this season alone. This trade will hurt us this season but make us contenders for the next 2 seasons. I'd take that anyday over getting past the first round this season.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
The main thing I think that seems mainly unnoticed is that Billups wants to be in Denver, so we give up alot including Felton basically for Melo and a replacement pg that is going to ask out immediately, no I don't know for sure he won't play in NY but said no for Jersey and bet it'll be the same.

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
The main thing I think that seems mainly unnoticed is that Billups wants to be in Denver, so we give up alot including Felton basically for Melo and a replacement pg that is going to ask out immediately, no I don't know for sure he won't play in NY but said no for Jersey and bet it'll be the same.

Exactly what I've been saying. If we give up Ray and can get Nene and then a cheaper stopgap PG this year, I'd do it. Not for Melo/Billups though who wants out.

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
Nets new offer. That would be a bit more tolerable will getting some depth in the frontcourt with Ely. I'm sure we could spin Balkman again too. Make a more for a PG in the meantime and I do that one for us even if we have to give Ray (although I would prefer it be Nene as Billups will most likely want a buyout again if headed to NJ).