Knicks Starting Lineup If They Get Melo?

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
When and if we get Melo, he'll play a significant amount of time at the four. When he played for D'antoni in the olympics he played almost excusively at the four...

iSaYughh

Starter
When and if we get Melo, he'll play a significant amount of time at the four. When he played for D'antoni in the olympics he played almost excusively at the four...

That'l be a primary rotation. Maybe 15-20 min a game he won't be. That will be when we go "big".

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
That'l be a primary rotation. Maybe 15-20 min a game he won't be. That will be when we go "big".

I agree.. Mozgov may still start, but he'll only get those 15-25 minute per game, and some of those minute will be with Amare on the bench.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
No one should sweat Gallo coming off the bench

Of course, the starting lineup should be:

- Felton
- Fields
- Melo
- Stat
- Mosgov

Bench:

- Gallo
- Turiaf
- SWilliams
- Douglas
- Walker, Azubuike, Mason (if they are left)

Of course, there is some chance that D'Antoni will substitute Gallo for either Fields or Mosgov. I think that would be a big mistake because you would have too many people playing out of position, but even more because you need Fields and Mosgov (or Turiaf) to make up for Melo's defensive deficiencies.

Plus Gallo will get more quality touches when either Melo or Stat are on the bench.

Please also note, that if roster spots open up due to the Melo trade(likely), I would bring back Earl Barron and/or Patrick Ewing, Jr (who is starting to play really well in the D-League).

As for the promised answer:

Q: Why no one should sweat Gallo coming off the bench

A: Two words: Cazzie Russell

Hayato

Benchwarmer
Starting line-up should be:
  • Felton
  • Fields
  • Melo
  • Amar'e
  • Mozgov/Turiaf
BUT -- knowing D'Antoni, it would be:
  • Felton
  • Fields
  • Galli
  • Melo
  • Amar'e
The latter line-up may work against smaller teams, but would be crushed by the Lakers and Celtics. SMH at the idea of Melo trying to guard Garnett.

I think Galli would be an excellent spark off the bench, especially if he is the focal point of the offense. I can see him putting up his 16 with ease if he is the main guy on the floor. I've actually thought D'Antoni should be doing this for awhile. Put Chandler in at the three spot, and move Galli to the 6th man off the bench.

yeah i thnk we'll see amare at C a lot unfortunately...im sure a big reason for that is to get the best players on the court..all though if we continue to develop/play mozgov, he'll be one of the best we have on the floor. you cant complain about having both gallo AND fields on the court with melo though

i hope we dont see that too often though. i love amare at his natural position, PF. and id really like to see gallo getting an occasional start at SG

iSaYughh

Starter
Let's not forget STAT is a more than fine NBA center. He is an all-star center, truly.

He should still be able to play legit minutes at the 4.

But his positional woe is mainly exacerbated bc of our overall very mediocre defense, which SSOL makes seem even worse than it already is.

Mainly, STAT playing the 5 isn't the problem. So much as when he does, as let's say a mildly undersized one, that we don't actually have a true starting 4!

If we had a starting-caliber 4, or 4-5 hybrid like STAT, him playing the 5 wouldn't be an issue. At all.

We are just very, very undermanned in our entire frontcourt. It's STAT plus,

A rookie project C (Moz)
A backup who is more 4 than 5 (Turiaf)
Young 3's playing up to the 4 (Chandler, Gallo)

To boot, Turiaf has been oft injured.

Now, add in Melo (a superior at playing the 4 than either Wilson or Gallo)

And one legit big from the offseason. And the entire landscaped is changed, especially with Turiaf getting kept in better health.

The staring lineup should be without question:

C Moz
PF STAT
SF MELO
SG Fields
PG Felton

Gallo 6th man.

How far we go in the playoffs depends on how much cohesion and consistency this traditional lineup develops. Going deep with in the playoffs with players constantly out of position is a pipe dream. This is also probably our best defensive and rebounding team. Unless you think Turiaf can do a better job than Moz.

moneyg

Starter

i seriously wish people would stop comparing the olympics to the nba.. cuz it aint...

just cuz u played 1 position on the olympic/fiba teams doesnt mean u can play it in the nba

we all know O'antoni will not sit gallo... and amare will be a center.. but i dont like it...

i think gallo should come off the bench...that way he can hadle the scoring load when amare sits

tmoz/turiaf should start

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I think Coach's main starting L will be:

Felton
Fields
Melo
Gallo
Amare

If Moz continues to show promise he won't be able to keep him off of the floor and I think we go w:

Felton
Gallo
Melo
Amare
Mozgov

It'll never happen and I know prolly none of you will agree but the guilty-fantasy lineup below is the one I'd really like to see

Gallo
Fields
Melo
Amare
Mozgov

Felton at the 6

Not saying it would happen, but I'd love to see Gallo play the point full time. We'd definitely have a backup point guard then lol. I truly believe he has the skills of a point locked within that 6'10'' frame.

Last edited:

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
Felton Fields Melo STAT Turiaf/Mozgov (depending on matchup and how each is playing).

I doubt it. D'antoni likes gallo too much to keep him from starting. I think Amare is gunna be back at the C with gallo and melo at the forwards and fields and felton at the guards.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Felton

Fields

Melo

STAT

and Turiaf/the Gov

-that team would be fluid and have a great complimentary game i think Gallo would be a prominent 5th man winner with his role as a 6th man he'd be lethal in that role. Fields would be a Ginobli for us perhaps he could be a 6th man also it be a great debate but i'd like him starting mainly for his do it all ability

next season

Felton

Fields

Melo

STAT

Jordan/Gasol

6th man; Gallo thats a championship caliber team right there:cool::cool::cool::peace: les do this

Hayato

Benchwarmer
Felton

Fields

Melo

STAT

and Turiaf/the Gov

-that team would be fluid and have a great complimentary game i think Gallo would be a prominent 5th man winner with his role as a 6th man he'd be lethal in that role. Fields would be a Ginobli for us perhaps he could be a 6th man also it be a great debate but i'd like him starting mainly for his do it all ability

next season

Felton

Fields

Melo
STAT

Jordan/Gasol

6th man; Gallo thats a championship caliber team right there:cool::cool::cool::peace: les do this

i dont see them replacing moz

idk i kinda feel bad for gallo..he loves ny so much and he's such a humble and good player that id feel bad if he was a bench player..but hey if he loves ny, he'll be content with it. plus bench players can be vital to teams..and man imagine having two LETHAL 3 point shooters on the bench in gallo and williams

i like gallo at SG but i think fields will get the nod there

iSaYughh

Starter
I think Coach's main starting L will be:

Felton
Fields
Melo
Gallo
Amare

If Moz continues to show promise he won't be able to keep him off of the floor and I think we go w:

Felton
Gallo
Melo
Amare
Mozgov

It'll never happen and I know prolly none of you will agree but the guilty-fantasy lineup below is the one I'd really like to see

Gallo
Fields
Melo
Amare
Mozgov

Felton at the 6

Not saying it would happen, but I'd love to see Gallo play the point full time. We'd definitely have a backup point guard then lol. I truly believe he has the skills of a point locked within that 6'10'' frame.

And Gallo does. His passes are so crisp and inventive; on par with Prime Hedo. His mind is PG-caliber in intelligence, specifically never on one track (just score, just do this, that, etc).

Some how (I hope I'm wrong) I think Denver is going to screw us on this. I think they are going to play this out to the end of the year and hope that the new CBA makes Melo staying with them is best for him financially. There's talk of franchise tag being added to the NBA.

They want more than I'd be willing to offer. I'm reading things that they may want Moz, Fields and two #1's along with Chandler. Thats too much IMHO.

If these idiots hold out for more and we dont get a deal done, screw em. If we can sign Melo, after the season when they approach us for a sign and trade I tell them go F yourself.

Paul1355

All Star
Hey guys, i'm just curious how you see the Knicks setting up their starting lineup if the proposed trade for Melo goes through and the Knicks lose only really Chandler. With Galo playing SF and melo coming over how would u handle it?

Ok the deal that Walsh is trying to do, accoring t Chris Broussard is try to keep Fields and Gallo which I would do anyways.

Here is the lineup I would do

Felton
Fields
Melo
Amare
Mozgov

Gallo- Sixth man

BUT

The lineup we will see since Mike D is obsesssed with small lineups is this:

Felton
Fields
Melo
Gallo
Amare

Either way they are both strong lineups. Both are athletic and I guess Mike D's lineup is better for spacing the floor with Gallo.

But I love Mozgov and we need his size and defense for the half court sets on defense where we get killed in the post and on the boards.

Mozgov is also very athletic so his athleticism as a center could win him the starting nod for Mike D because of Mike's athletic fast system.
And Gallo is 6'10 and can play SF or PF so he is versatile which would make him a good sixth man who would prob play 30 min a game anyways.

This lineup of Gallo as a sixth man would make Mike D's traditional small lineups neccessary. Gallo needs minutes and he is improving every year and having his best year as a Knick so giving him minutes as a sixth man like he did with Al Harrington makes the most sense in my mind.

So Mozgov or Gallo starting, I choose Mozgov so we have a versatile bench and a VERY good bench with Gallo, Turiaf, Williams, Douglas coming off of it.

I don't think D'Antoni would bench his godson Gallo!

What a few guys posted seems accurate to me:

Felton
Fields
Gallo
Melo
STAT

although it's too small again imo. Especially STAT at center is not good and MElo PF doesn't seem clever aswell.