Knicks vs Nets postgame analysis

Welp the preseason is over and the team has looked pretty good, can't complain about a 5-2 record. I think this team can really come together and battle it out through the season. Check out last nights post-game analysis and interviews with Toney Douglas, Mike D'Antoni, and Nate Robinson. They all sound confident in the team and ready to play. It sucks there is a week long wait for the start of the season but it is definitely time to get excited!

Postgame vid: http://video.msg.com/Videos/New-York-Knicks/uNZqzaoyDKb_yj__eIzrmEiy8Nx_MvtL<!-- m -->

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
I get excited every season when ny plays again, but its usually that 1st month or 2 where i decide if i'm going to either bother following there games on tv, they had a decent preseason but it's only preseason, anything less than making the playoffs this season is a complete failure so i'm looking for Gallo and td to have break out seasons as well as lee and nate to continue improving there games.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I get excited every season when ny plays again, but its usually that 1st month or 2 where i decide if i'm going to either bother following there games on tv, they had a decent preseason but it's only preseason, anything less than making the playoffs this season is a complete failure so i'm looking for Gallo and td to have break out seasons as well as lee and nate to continue improving there games.

Why is it a complete failure if the Knicks don't make the playoffs?

Man, there are so many of you with unrealistic expectations for this team. I just hope all of you don't start screaming for D'Antoni and Donnie to be fired at the end of this season.

Reality check people...we're still in the rebuilding phase! Only 1 year has passed in the 2 year rebuilding plan Donnie layed out. We shouldn't be surprised if this team doesn't make the playoffs this year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
We won't... Are you serious? We're 12th best in the east for ****s sake

Hill with 2 blocks and 2 steals tonight.

Tony D played LARGE.

But how many points did the fishnets get from penetrating moves? It was just wrong.

Duhon's 21 were off some questionable attempts as well.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Honestly, the preseason record doesn't mean much. Most teams are constantly experimenting with their lineups and giving rookies plus non-guaranteed contract players a chance to impress. Yeah the record is good but 3 of those wins came against the nets and maccabi.

I am excited to see how Douglas will perform once the season begins. Hill will most likely not see much playing time. You already know what your going to get from Lee & Nate so here is my assessment of the others:

Harrington - Will increase scoring output and have a very good season

Chandler - Will probably averave no more than 14 ppg since he's trying to add a perimeter game. (will have a sub par 3pt %)

Gallinari - Will have some big games throughout the season but will be mostly inconsistent as he gets use to playing against good defenders at his position.

Jeffries - Should have a pretty solid season. From what i've seen he's def more aggressive and using his height to get to the rim, plus he's been working on his jumpshot.

Millicic - Not much scoring but a pretty good inside presence. He'll probably average1 or 2 blocks per game.

Curry - IF D'Antoni plays him its really difficult to know what he will do. We haven't seen him play in sooo long. We all agree that he NEEDS to play and produce for obvious reasons.

Hughes - Honestly, this dude is playing himself out of the league. At this point, he will have no impact on the team other than defensive assignments.

Duhon - Same production as last season but will be rested more.

I don't see a huge improvement from last season but the team will be slightly better defensively.

CoolClyde

this game solidified my belief that Larry Hughes sucks and needs to sit, allowing more time for Douglas.

I like Darko! he's a good passer for a big man, and a defensive presence. although his numbers don't show it,
he's a team player; he doesn't foist up forced hoops like Hughes (17 minutes, 2 points, 1 rebound, 0 assists... )

Marcus Landry won out the final roster spot over Joe Crawford and Chris Hunter, I applaud that move, I like the guy's guts.

Certain combinations of Knicks are looking very good, I'd like to see
Jefferies in the 2nd unit, along with Darko, Douglas and Hill.

Duhon, N8, DLee, Harrington, Chandler are the best players on this team,
and deserve to be starting lineup, they all know each other at this point, and can only get better.

How does Jefferies get 26 minutes of play, and N8 only gets 20?
If this is a ploy to play/trade Jefferies, I'm fine with it, but I'd rather see N8 getting 30-35 minutes/games.

Good game for Douglas, especially that last drive to the hoop, the kid's got skillz!
Hill looked better as well, much rather see him get minutes than Hughes or Jefferies...

Let the real season begin!!
:gony:

smokes

Huge Member
this game solidified my belief that Larry Hughes sucks and needs to sit, allowing more time for Douglas.

I like Darko! he's a good passer for a big man, and a defensive presence. although his numbers don't show it,
he's a team player; he doesn't foist up forced hoops like Hughes (17 minutes, 2 points, 1 rebound, 0 assists... )

Marcus Landry won out the final roster spot over Joe Crawford and Chris Hunter, I applaud that move, I like the guy's guts.

Certain combinations of Knicks are looking very good, I'd like to see
Jefferies in the 2nd unit, along with Darko, Douglas and Hill.

Duhon, N8, DLee, Harrington, Chandler are the best players on this team,
and deserve to be starting lineup, they all know each other at this point, and can only get better.

How does Jefferies get 26 minutes of play, and N8 only gets 20?
If this is a ploy to play/trade Jefferies, I'm fine with it, but I'd rather see N8 getting 30-35 minutes/games.

Good game for Douglas, especially that last drive to the hoop, the kid's got skillz!
Hill looked better as well, much rather see him get minutes than Hughes or Jefferies...

Let the real season begin!!
:gony:

I agree with most of that but that 2nd unit is pretty bad, who is supposed to score in that setup. The 2nd unit is probably gonna be Darko or Jefferies, Hill, Gallo, N8, Douglas. At least there are 2 players that can score the ball there.

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
Why is it a complete failure if the Knicks don't make the playoffs?

Man, there are so many of you with unrealistic expectations for this team. I just hope all of you don't start screaming for D'Antoni and Donnie to be fired at the end of this season.

Reality check people...we're still in the rebuilding phase! Only 1 year has passed in the 2 year rebuilding plan Donnie layed out. We shouldn't be surprised if this team doesn't make the playoffs this year.

I hear you, But the way i see it is last season the knicks only had to play .500 basketball for the last 2 months of basketball and they would have easily made 8th seed atleast.This rebuilding phase has gone on long enough imo..

SilentJay

Rookie
By no means transitions last only one year (in any sports for that matter), it's always depending on the surrounding circumstances. In ours, it was set to be over a two year period (or possibly more). It's a matter of looking at our roster: only 6 players have contracts that go over next year (and two of those want to be badly traded). It's a long stretch that needs to be understood instead of criticized. Many fans have fallen for the short term vision and want instant results when that was never assured. Many have argued that DW didn't do enough with the offseason trade-wise and with the draft (mainly with Hill, of course). That might be true, but he made it very clear from day one that the goal was the cap and clearing it out, not more than that. From my standpoint, if he can clear JJ, we're good to go, but if fatso goes, well then we're more than golden.
In terms for what to expect this year: more chemistry from the group, more hustle and intensity on D (that might just give us those extra 5 wins I'm hoping for, and that Gallo and Chandler have successful seasons). I'd be happy if this team improves its record by 5 games. Anything more than that would be fantastic. This doesn't mean that I'm a pessimist or a conformist, I'm just trying to look at things how they are and how they've been shaping up, especially in our conference. I always hope that my team puts a battle in any fight though.

I hear you, But the way i see it is last season the knicks only had to play .500 basketball for the last 2 months of basketball and they would have easily made 8th seed atleast.This rebuilding phase has gone on long enough imo..

Thats a good point. I think a lot of the rebuilding and ground work was done last season and now it is time to build the foundation and next summer finish off the rest of the process

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Jefferies?

Jefferies has been in the League for 7 full years. He is what he is and the other teams know it. We are "wastng" our time showcasing him.

Jefferies career statistics have him at a shooting percentage of .432, a 3 point shooting percentage of .242 and a free throw percentage of .576. On a per 36 minute basis for his career he would have 6.9 rebounds and .7 blocks a game.

Last year he averaged 23.4 minutes a game, scored 5.3 points a game, had a field goal percentage of .440 and a 3 point percentage of .083. He was 1 for 12. His free throw percentage was .611. He averaged 4.1 rebounds and .59 blocks a game.

In this preseason he averaged 24.6 minutes a game and 8.7 points on a .345 field goal percentage. His 3 point percentage was .303. His rebounds averaged 4.4 and his blocks .6.

He has had a pretty consistent mediocre career. Do we really think that there is anything new to showcase Darko should start and Hill should get some playing time.

yeah, I know, he is good defensively. But so is Darko.

richtree

Rotation player
Guys like Darko, Jefferies and Curry are never gonna be great shooters....

All they have to do is become physical forces.

When Jefferies comes into camp thin and slow year after year it shows he doesn't hit the weight room and really work out to be an athlete.

I have a better build then Jefferies and I work 8 hours a day.

I bet Jeffereis can't bench 200 lbs.

Sure he looks like he is playing hard, but oh well....nothing special

CoolClyde

Jefferies has been in the League for 7 full years. He is what he is and the other teams know it. We are "wastng" our time showcasing him.

Jefferies career statistics have him at a shooting percentage of .432, a 3 point shooting percentage of .242 and a free throw percentage of .576. On a per 36 minute basis for his career he would have 6.9 rebounds and .7 blocks a game.

Last year he averaged 23.4 minutes a game, scored 5.3 points a game, had a field goal percentage of .440 and a 3 point percentage of .083. He was 1 for 12. His free throw percentage was .611. He averaged 4.1 rebounds and .59 blocks a game.

In this preseason he averaged 24.6 minutes a game and 8.7 points on a .345 field goal percentage. His 3 point percentage was .303. His rebounds averaged 4.4 and his blocks .6.

He has had a pretty consistent mediocre career. Do we really think that there is anything new to showcase Darko should start and Hill should get some playing time.

yeah, I know, he is good defensively. But so is Darko.

:agreed:
Jefferies is as mediocre as you can get - sometimes good, sometimes bad, most of the time, lame-to-ok, an inconsistent player who keeps shooting, no matter what. he has 1 good game, and he thinks he's a three machine. we need to get rid of him to free cap space. period. Curry is going to be much harder to shake loose, unless he's sued by Dolan, forced off the team by some health stipulation, or Walsh works his Jerome James magic. For some reason, No-D'Antoni loves Jefferies and keeps starting him. If not to showcase, WTF? I appreciate you pointing out his shortcomings. He should take a cue from Darko, working on the defensive end, passing, and NOT being a shooter, AT ALL! Let N8, Gallo, Harrington or Duhon take the shot first. When Jefferies is on the court, he should be the 5th option, not the first... PLEASE! I'd rather see DLee shoot at this point.

Paul1355

All Star
We simply can't adjust

Welp the preseason is over and the team has looked pretty good, can't complain about a 5-2 record. I think this team can really come together and battle it out through the season. Check out last nights post-game analysis and interviews with Toney Douglas, Mike D'Antoni, and Nate Robinson. They all sound confident in the team and ready to play. It sucks there is a week long wait for the start of the season but it is definitely time to get excited!

Postgame vid: http://video.msg.com/Videos/New-York-Knicks/uNZqzaoyDKb_yj__eIzrmEiy8Nx_MvtL<!-- m -->

the optimism on the knicks goes overboard. We know that we have the talent and ability to make the playoffs but we just are not smart enough as a team. We don't adjust to different opponents and just use one game plan every night and that is jacking up three's and hoping that most of them go in. That is not a gameplan and that's maybe why we are one of the worst FG% teams in the NBA. i Know we don't have any great players but our conference is not that hard and the East has been up for grabs the past few years for playoff spots. The Knicks inability to have consistent continuity in the passing game, inability to draw fouls, inability to have good shot selection, and inability to play aggressive defense has and always will kill us until we get an allstar or two to carry this team.