Losing Isiah: The end is near!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The Knicks need a young guy, preferably a fresh faced hotshot assistant from one of the league's upper echelon teams and not some retread who is past his prime ie Walsh, Colangelo, West. Unfortunately since that childish fool James 'thanks for my allowance dad" Dolan is our owner, this will never happen because he is obsessed with hiring big names. I would go after a Colangelo but not Jerry but rather his son Bryan but even he I doubt has enough of a name for Dolan. Another guy who I would be excited to see at the helm and has supposedly campaigned behind the scenes for the job would be Greg Anthony.

I disagree with you on this one. At this point I would feel much more comfortable with Colangelo or West than some young "hotshot". Those guys are proven winners in this league and I don't think I can stand any more years of uncertainty. If you remember correctly, Scott Layden was supposed to be a young "hotshot" assistant to become the next great GM, and look at the crap he gave us for so many years. Colangelo has already publically stated that bringing a championship to New York would be his greatest achievement. He wants to come here and he realizes that it is going to take 3-4 years of rebuilding. He would be in it with a plan and for the long haul. David Stern even wants Colangelo to run the Knicks.

I disagree with you on this one. At this point I would feel much more comfortable with Colangelo or West than some young "hotshot". Those guys are proven winners in this league and I don't think I can stand any more years of uncertainty. If you remember correctly, Scott Layden was supposed to be a young "hotshot" assistant to become the next great GM, and look at the crap he gave us for so many years. Colangelo has already publically stated that bringing a championship to New York would be his greatest achievement. He wants to come here and he realizes that it is going to take 3-4 years of rebuilding. He would be in it with a plan and for the long haul. David Stern even wants Colangelo to run the Knicks.

I don't remember him bringing any championships to Phoenix in 40+ years of running that team.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Has Coleangelo ever won a championship? Not saying that I wouldn't want him as GM...I'm just curious. I've heard that Coleangelo is excellent at managing the budget. The Knicks certainly need that. However, I feel that West would be the better GM because I know one of his team definitely won a championship. Plus, the guy is a con artist. He has a track record for swindling teams.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Colangelo won a championship with the Arizona Diamondbacks. I know it's not the NBA, but the man knows how to build a championship level team. I would argue the Suns were close to winning a championship last year, one bad foul by Horry and the ensuing suspensions cost them game 7. He's also been in charge of building the USA Basketball team which has been successful. His son has built the current Toronto Raptors. That's a good enough resume' for me.

pat

Starter
Shit at this point ill take anyone over isiah.

This attitude is what brought Isiah to NY. Remember the fire Layden campaign? As I've said in another thread before, I don't think signing a new GM and/or coach will be enough. The first thing this franchise needs is a McKinsey-advisor who turns the whole organisation upside down and convinces Dolan that he can only enhance his prestige by being the owner of a successful franchise. This would mean that he has to sit back, relax, and let people run the franchise who are actually good at it.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
This attitude is what brought Isiah to NY. Remember the fire Layden campaign? As I've said in another thread before, I don't think signing a new GM and/or coach will be enough. The first thing this franchise needs is a McKinsey-advisor who turns the whole organisation upside down and convinces Dolan that he can only enhance his prestige by being the owner of a successful franchise. This would mean that he has to sit back, relax, and let people run the franchise who are actually good at it.

Yea I totally agree. I personally would prefer if Stern would step in and make Dolan sell the team but that doesn't seem like its going to happen

Colangelo won a championship with the Arizona Diamondbacks. I know it's not the NBA, but the man knows how to build a championship level team. I would argue the Suns were close to winning a championship last year, one bad foul by Horry and the ensuing suspensions cost them game 7. He's also been in charge of building the USA Basketball team which has been successful. His son has built the current Toronto Raptors. That's a good enough resume' for me.

His son I have no problems with but Jerry Colangelo is old and the Knicks are years away from being back to competing for a championship. I am not happy with losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs every year. I want championships. It's been 35 years. At the very least at least competing for titles would be acceptable. Colangelo did not put the Diamondbacks together he was a managing partner/part owner and if you recall he left quite a dirty trail behind him when he was forced out. He was instrumental in bringing a MLB team to Arizona and building it a stadium but had nothing to do with building the team.

Furthermore USA basketball hasn't been successful yet and even if we win the gold medal do you really want to give him that much credit for that?

Has Coleangelo ever won a championship? Not saying that I wouldn't want him as GM...I'm just curious. I've heard that Coleangelo is excellent at managing the budget. The Knicks certainly need that. However, I feel that West would be the better GM because I know one of his team definitely won a championship. Plus, the guy is a con artist. He has a track record for swindling teams.

Never won a championship and has made only 2 finals appearances in 40 years.

You bring this up but Theo Epstein of the Red Sox was a hotshot young unknown gm and how has that worked out? Obviously bringing a championship would be his greatest achievement because he hasn't won one yet.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Im in the middle of you 2 (no homo), I would gladly accept Colangelo as the next gm but at the same time it would be nice to have someone young in there. At the same time, EC house specials arguement backed by what Theo Epstein did with the Red Sox is not that valid, im not tryin to call you out but that doesnt mean if we hire some young hotshot that we'll have success.

What LJ4ptplay said has some validity:

I would argue the Suns were close to winning a championship last year, one bad foul by Horry and the ensuing suspensions cost them game 7.

I thought that maybe the suns could have beaten the spurs also, it was unfortunate that those suspensions happened. As of last year I did not like the Spurs, the Suns were and still are one of my favorite western conference teams. Who knows what would have happened, but its there is a good arguement for the Suns because of those suspensions.

Im not a fan of Donnie Walsh but Jerry West sounds like another good option even though hes old.

Pricey

Rotation player
USA Basketball successful lol. USA Sucks.
I await the backlash.

Australia for olympic gold!!!! Mills the alley oop to Bogut!!!!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
USA Basketball successful lol. USA Sucks.
I await the backlash.

Australia for olympic gold!!!! Mills the alley oop to Bogut!!!!

The current USA Basketball team, not the previous ones that were coached by Larry Brown, had Marbury as the PG and were beaten by Puerto Rico. He's built the current one that is coached by Coach K. and won the recent international tournament.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Thats why I hate seeing my they present the NBA Finals trophy, and they call for example the Spurs the WORLD CHAMPIONS... yea maybe WOrld Champions for the NBA, but a lot of international teams can kick the A$$ of a NBA team, not a All Star team, but regular NBA team. They got the chemistry and aren't overpaid, and greedy.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Who do you all think should be the coach if Isiah is fired? There are rumors of Mark Jackson, Scott Skiles, Paul Silas, Tom Thibodeau, Mike Fratello and Terry Porter. I think we can forget about VanGundy coming back. I don't think there is any way he will work for Dolan again. What about Rick Carlisle?

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Who do you all think should be the coach if Isiah is fired? There are rumors of Mark Jackson, Scott Skiles, Paul Silas, Tom Thibodeau, Mike Fratello and Terry Porter. I think we can forget about VanGundy coming back. I don't think there is any way he will work for Dolan again. What about Rick Carlisle?

If Isiah gets fired and assuming we get a decent GM that understands that we have to tear this team apart, I want a strict coach like Scott Skiles to give the young players in this team discipline and a good foundation. Once that occurs, I want a coach like Phil Jackson who knows how to take a team to the next level.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
The current USA Basketball team, not the previous ones that were coached by Larry Brown, had Marbury as the PG and were beaten by Puerto Rico. He's built the current one that is coached by Coach K. and won the recent international tournament.

No need to bring Marbury into it, they still lost 2 years ago and marbury didnt play on that team.

nyKnicks126

I heard the Bucks are interested in Walsh as well thats why Dolan might want to hurry up a bit. Lets hope that Isiah will be fired soon! Walsh does have a pretty good history of trading like a few of you said before. Ron Artest on his way to NY probably in the offseason.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I heard the Bucks are interested in Walsh as well thats why Dolan might want to hurry up a bit. Lets hope that Isiah will be fired soon! Walsh does have a pretty good history of trading like a few of you said before. Ron Artest on his way to NY probably in the offseason.

After "The Malace in the Palace", there is no way Donnie Walsh would have Artest on any team he is in charge of. Hell, let the Bucs get Walsh. Dolan shouldn't rush to get him. The GM job for the Knicks is one of the most coveted GM jobs in the NBA, regardless of how bad Isiah has f*cked it up. Dolan can choose from multiple people that want the job.

nyKnicks126

After "The Malace in the Palace", there is no way Donnie Walsh would have Artest on any team he is in charge of. Hell, let the Bucs get Walsh. Dolan shouldn't rush to get him. The GM job for the Knicks is one of the most coveted GM jobs in the NBA, regardless of how bad Isiah has f*cked it up. Dolan can choose from multiple people that want the job.

GOod point. I didn't think of the Pistons vs Pacers incident. Good thought. Yeah you can say that Ron Ron is out of the picture in NYC.