Marbury drawing interest...in Europe

New New York

Quiet Storm
You Know I just realized that The Knicks will have the upper hand in this situation after the trade deadline. If a player isnt signed by March 1st then he is not eligiable for the playoffs for the team that eventually signs him. So The Knicks can propose to only pay him a small fraction of his salary, and if Steph wants a chance to compete in the playoffs he would have to accept it.

Looks like Greece may not be all that unrealistic!

metrocard

Legend
I love the NBA, but I rather play in Greece then here. Childress is treated like a god out there, and he's just an average player.

Marbury is very fortunate to have the life that he does. All the schooling in the world, and most of us will never have the life he has. 20 million to do nothing all season. Then get rewarded and get to live in Greece.

Not even Barak Obama himself would be able to have the lifestyle that Stephon has.

Oh well. Thats life.

Do nothing?

Marbury is still working out as intense as any NBA player in the world...he's doing his job; he's prepared and in shape to preform and work. D'Antoni just choosed to not have Marbury apart of the team.
Marbury takes his profession as a NBA player very serious; he's just looking out for his future, money, and himself. D'Antoni tried to play Marbury, so Marbury defended himself. It wasn't the most mature thing in the world, but no one is perfect.

Plus, Marbury doesn't spend all of his money on himself, Marbury is one of the most generous/caring guys in the NBA.

Reason why Marbury isn't accepting to drop 3 million, only 1 million; its a message to Dolan/Walsh/D'Antoni that they don't own Marbury.
Simply.

metrocard

Legend
There were real possibilities in the last summer for Steph to come and play for Armani Jeans Milano. But since Milano has changed the managership, they wanted to start from a new modest project.
I don't think that Steph will play for Olimpiakos for these two reasons:

1. after the Childress's injuri, Olimpiakos is not looking for a guard like Marbury but for a SF, they just have two great PGs: Greer and Papaloukas.
2. Steph is too expensive for an european team that just has two great PG

Marbury could play SG in Europe.

Paul1355

All Star
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3850368

Olympiacos could buy out Steph's contract...

If I was Steph I would jump on the opportunity basically because he has a bad rep in the NBA. The Euro league doesnt see Stephon as a bad teammate-coach type player that he is portrade presently. The Nba teams knows he has talent just doesnt trust him on and off the court with the chemistry since it has failed with him abnd KG in Minnesota...with Phoenix and obviously Larry Brown and Isiah.

Europe would be his destination spot....he should just get out of this media infested league and start over in Europe.

ANd just get rid of him so we can possibly sign someone and use that spot.

th3realicon

Rotation player
Steph would make any European team considerably better so the claim that Olimpiakos is covered at PG falls. If Stephon Marbury want he can be a center too lol

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
Steph would make any European team considerably better so the claim that Olimpiakos is covered at PG falls. If Stephon Marbury want he can be a center too lol
Yes, everywhere he goes in Europe, he increases considerably the team's worth. But you have to consider his value in money: European teams, usually, don't have such many money to spend to sign NBA players. So, if a team is just covered in a spot, it will be a bad business solution to sign an NBA player on the same spot.

CoolClyde

Extradition for Mebury

If Maybury RFD won't go Greek, hold onto him until it's too late
for him to make NBA playoffs (Mar 1), no team's going to pick him
up if he can't help them in post-season; would essentially force him
to sit or head overseas. The Greeks can afford some change to
lessen the 21M blow McDolan regime has taken this season.
Win Win situation, or whine-whine?

Go to Greece, Stephon... get some licks in, come back next year
and see what you can get.... for now, get lost.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
I also agree Steph would be very fortunate to play in Greece. There's nothing like playing a game at home in front of your fans

This clip always gives me the chills when i see it

bosforo65

Rookie
I also agree Steph would be very fortunate to play in Greece. There's nothing like playing a game at home in front of your fans

This clip always gives me the chills when i see it

this kind of support you'll find it in a few games vs the biggest teams (the ones on the video seems to be panathinaikos supporters, the olympiacos rivals). most of the times olympiacos arena is almost empty (it's quite big for european standards).

tiger0330

Legend
ESPN article on Marbury not going to Greece

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3855139

A source close to Olympiacos told ESPN.com that club officials met late into Thursday night in Athens to discuss the possible pursuit of Marbury, with questions being raised in that meeting regarding Marbury's character and whether he would be a poor locker room influence for a team currently sitting atop the Greek League standings at 14-1, one game ahead of 13-2 archrival Panathinaikos.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3855139

A source close to Olympiacos told ESPN.com that club officials met late into Thursday night in Athens to discuss the possible pursuit of Marbury, with questions being raised in that meeting regarding Marbury's character and whether he would be a poor locker room influence for a team currently sitting atop the Greek League standings at 14-1, one game ahead of 13-2 archrival Panathinaikos.

"Character issues", "Bad locker room influence" ....... No not Starbury :barf:

Proud Warrior

Benchwarmer
Unofficial voices say that Olimpiakos is trying to sign Pargo from Dynamo Moscow. It means that, maybe, they are looking for a PG.
I don't understand why Olimpiakos is looking for a guard while they need a forward.