Maybe its the fans thats the problem and not dantoni

I have been thinking about the knicks from 1970-present,and threw out all of those glory years we knicks fans have been used to a slow paced,defensive juggernaut type team and have never been exposed really to this type of style of play.

Think about it,if we had a coach like larry brown and had a worst record then fans will say we need a new coach.

If we had phil jackson as a coach and had a worse record than we will say this team is uncoachable

Now we have dantoni and the problem isnt the #1 ranked offense but the defense.I dont know but it seems as NY's we demand perfection from every single thing we do.We have to realize that when you have a certain type of playing style,you end up giving up another.For example if you run and gun you become really tired thus leading to terrible defense.Now if you play lock down D (unless you have lebron and dwade) it is going to be hard to get alot of transition/fast break points.

If we had a slow paced team the City would complain that our team is to athletic to be running a slow paced team and that we need to utilize our players.

Now we have a fast break/run N gun team thats the best offense in the nba,and we now say that we need better defense.

Bottom line,its not going to happen.coaches have styles,they favor some styles more than others or their styles force them to abandon other styles thus making a team that has weaknesses which every single team in nba history has had.

So how about we thank dantoni and say maybe he just isnt the right fit,instead of saying that this system is flawed and he is overrated.He is an offensive coach,we knew that from the beginning,does he need to preach defense more? yes,but he still does what he specializes in to perfection.Some coaches are to defensive oriented and some offense,unlucky for us "defensive minded" knicks fans we have an offensive oriented coach in mike dantoni.

NO COACH IS PERFECT

iSaYughh

Starter
Pretty much spot the **** on.

It's similar to the anti Gallo crowd: if Gallo did what they wanted, he'd basically be an all-star force at 22. That he isn't yet, and it's obvious he isn't, we should just treat him like a 1dimensional 28yr old overpaid journeyman.

With D'ant, it's not dissimilar. #6, likely playoff bound, a monstrous breakthrough from PG Felton, a maximized STAT happy as can be to be a Knick; and he (edit -- D'antoni) gets "1dimemsional 28yr old journeyman" treatment.

The bar will be set; but then conveniently raised, and whenever it isn't met just so, it will be like the bar never moved up to begin with.

Not even the most virulent anti-D'ant skeptic or hater on here, before the season, or early on, wouldn't have accepted our current spot as a legitimate success and have reason to be optimistic.

"playoffs or bust" was the mantra.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
A few big things I wasn't happy with D'Antoni's decisions, but ever since the he changed the way we played after the bad start, don't have a problem with him.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
I have been thinking about the knicks from 1970-present,and threw out all of those glory years we knicks fans have been used to a slow paced,defensive juggernaut type team and have never been exposed really to this type of style of play.

Think about it,if we had a coach like larry brown and had a worst record then fans will say we need a new coach.

If we had phil jackson as a coach and had a worse record than we will say this team is uncoachable

Now we have dantoni and the problem isnt the #1 ranked offense but the defense.I dont know but it seems as NY's we demand perfection from every single thing we do.We have to realize that when you have a certain type of playing style,you end up giving up another.For example if you run and gun you become really tired thus leading to terrible defense.Now if you play lock down D (unless you have lebron and dwade) it is going to be hard to get alot of transition/fast break points.

If we had a slow paced team the City would complain that our team is to athletic to be running a slow paced team and that we need to utilize our players.

Now we have a fast break/run N gun team thats the best offense in the nba,and we now say that we need better defense.

Bottom line,its not going to happen.coaches have styles,they favor some styles more than others or their styles force them to abandon other styles thus making a team that has weaknesses which every single team in nba history has had.

So how about we thank dantoni and say maybe he just isnt the right fit,instead of saying that this system is flawed and he is overrated.He is an offensive coach,we knew that from the beginning,does he need to preach defense more? yes,but he still does what he specializes in to perfection.Some coaches are to defensive oriented and some offense,unlucky for us "defensive minded" knicks fans we have an offensive oriented coach in mike dantoni.

NO COACH IS PERFECT

u hit it right on the money 5 star thread! good shit bro

iJoe

Rotation player
Repped for starting a good thread.

Like I've said before, Dantoni is far from being my favorite coach. However, you can't just throw up a blanket statement like "it's Dantoni's fault that we didn't play any defense". You make it sound like a good defense coach can work miracles with every player on their roster. There is a reason championship teams trade for good defense players, not depend on the coach to force feed defense on guys who can't or aren't willing to learn.

If you want to criticize Dantoni, you should at least do some research as to why you don't like him other than broad statements you've heard from the media or other so called "experts". You can accuse him things like specific bad matchups, rotations, predictable plays and losing the respect of his players.

The Knicks play at a fast pace and will naturally give up more points as well. The KEY is getting the stops when they need it the most. The Suns at least had guys like Marion to slow the opposing star wing. The Knicks have superior shot blocking, but a very young core, no wing stoppers, are still learning their rotations and how not to get called for silly fouls.

I'd really like to see the Knicks hire a great assistant coach who specializes in defense. The Celtics got a lot of credit for their defensive schemes, but most of that came from their assistant Tom Thibodeau who is coaching the Bulls now. Theres no need to fire Dantoni unless he loses the respect of the lockerroom.

I had a few issues with this coach that stemed from last year. He's arrogant, lacks defense, and gives way too many minutes to Gallo when he's unproductive.

Atm, he is running the life out of his small rotation and they will eventually slow down due to fatigue. He's not playing or developing much of his bench players. I mean, how in the hell are you going to play 82 games with a small rotation going full steam in each game? He plays them like the dream team, hoping they will outscore their opponents in every game. If thats the way he wants to coach then he should automatically know he needs to bring in players like Mello. why? He's a SCORER that will easily serve his SSOL system. NY is known for DEFENSE. The coach is weak when it comes to D. He plays a man 2 man that envolves a lot of double teaming, teams are scoring way too many easy baskets on us because of it. C'mon man, I can put together a team from off the black tops to expose that shit too. Do you even see the amount of easy baskets we give up. Every team (poor or great) are scoring over 100 points on us. The coach is either stubborn or too stupid to notice the weaknesses in his Defensive schemes. A big leap in the right direction would be to leave Will, Stat, Moz, and Turiuf around the basket/paint...stop having them double teaming on almost every freaking play.

The coach deserves what he gets. Knick fans should never settle for anything shorter than greatness. Its been too long and too many excuses. Its sad to know that some fans are just used to losing, so much so that they are satisfied with the little slither of light shining threw the cracks. Bump that!! We deserve much more, these Knicks, the Garden, the brass are paid well to deliver...and they should make every move/efffort to do so.

la2ny

Starter
good shit bro.

I never disliked him though I just knew he doesn't fit. All the guys here complain about D but it's not like they don't know the way he coaches so it's w/e for me. A different coach would be best though(have the team run when it can,plays D,half court O,works hard,etc.)

KingCharles34

All Star
Well its not like us fans are gonna fire or hire somebody. How long did Knicks fans want Isiah fired before he actually got fired? Regardless of how good or bad the knicks are, the money is always pouring in from us fans and thats what matters most to Mr. Dolan. So no, its not the fans. We dont play basketball for the knicks, we dont make coaching and management decisions. We give our opinions like all fans do.

The real problem has to do with some of the contracts we have had going back to the Layden era. Last summer was the first time we were under the cap in years so it takes time. We're heading in the right direction, just need a few more pieces

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I always felt the blame should most of the time go to players instead of coaches. D'antoni has a chance to prove himself with a good team, and I say he's doing just fine for now. There are some team needs and my only little problem is the long minutes the starters have. It is not D'antoni's fault the bench is not proving they should play, or is it.

This is around the time where players impress coaches lets hope it is one of the bigs of Randolph or Mozgov. Rumors are out there but I still have little hope for these guys.

Now we have dantoni and the problem isnt the #1 ranked offense but the defense. We have to realize that when you have a certain type of playing style,you end up giving up another.For example if you run and gun you become really tired thus leading to terrible defense.Now if you play lock down D (unless you have lebron and dwade) it is going to be hard to get alot of transition/fast break points.

NO COACH IS PERFECT

Well said, couldn't say it any better myself.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I agree with the premise with some caveats:

A run and gun tires out both teams and normally seduces the opposing team into our style of play.

It's not a matter of how many points you give up per game but rather how many crucial stops you can get per game.

I don't think D'ant's style of play precludes us from being a good defensive team. Get a real defensive center that fits our system like Camby in his prime and bring back a healthy Azubuike and this team could be elite on both ends of the court.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com

NO COACH IS PERFECT

You make some good points. I just don't want D'Antoni on the Knicks, because I prefer defense to be a top priority.

The Knicks allow their opponents to score at will, and I feel that style is too dangerous when going up against teams that average a lot of points.

99% of teams that make the conference finals, NBA finals, or win a championship are teams that make defense their top priority.

Well its not like us fans are gonna fire or hire somebody. How long did Knicks fans want Isiah fired before he actually got fired? Regardless of how good or bad the knicks are, the money is always pouring in from us fans and thats what matters most to Mr. Dolan. So no, its not the fans. We dont play basketball for the knicks, we dont make coaching and management decisions. We give our opinions like all fans do.

The real problem has to do with some of the contracts we have had going back to the Layden era. Last summer was the first time we were under the cap in years so it takes time. We're heading in the right direction, just need a few more pieces

Co-sign

I like this team, but I would rather see a half court offense.

The Knicks have a lot of good shotblockers and stealers(Chandler, Turiaf, Stoudemire, Felton, Douglas) so I think that style would work well for them.

quiggle

Starter
yes because of the fans greed to not be patient anymore and want wins wins wins or else the coach's head, Dantoni is playing Felton and STAT too many minutes and burning them out at the cost of wins.

God forbid they especially the Future get injured, you fans are to be blamed.