NBA Summer League 2018

Good 1st half for Ntilikina and Robinson. Bad 1st half for Knox. Guessing this will slow the hype train at least a little. Knicks not playing much defense.

Yeah, never mind. Knox restores the hype with a huge start to the 3rd quarter. Ntilikina continues to look good. Utah?s Bradley showing that Robinson is going to be easy to exploit at times until he bulks up and learns the NBA low post game.

mafra

Legend
Knits/Robinson/Knox are raw but clearly have talent. It?s up to coaching and the org to get these 3 ready to be big time contributors come 2020-2021 season. Next season is lost... season after that should be all about KP and max free agent. But, by the time these 3 hit 22 and 23 yrs/old... they should be ready to explode. Otherwise, we let them down.

mafra

Legend
From what I?m seeing, Dotson?s roster spot may be in jeapardy. He can?t score... doesn?t posses much of a handle nor does he have an explosive first step, and he simply can?t knock down open shots. Heck, he was 3-6 from FT line.

Ochefu is gunning for Hicks? roster spot.

I?m also so happy KP will miss most half a year bc the best thing for raw guys like Knits, Knox, Robinson is to be afforded a season where they can work thru their mistakes without worrying about expectations... also, adding 1 more lottery pick to this group is the final ingredient in this homegrown organic process. After that, sprinkle in water (free agents/trades). But just playing together for 24 minutes a night, for 50 games, will do wonders...

Broadway

All Star
From what I?m seeing, Dotson?s roster spot may be in jeapardy. He can?t score... doesn?t posses much of a handle nor does he have an explosive first step, and he simply can?t knock down open shots. Heck, he was 3-6 from FT line.

Ochefu is gunning for Hicks? roster spot.

I?m also so happy KP will miss most half a year bc the best thing for raw guys like Knits, Knox, Robinson is to be afforded a season where they can work thru their mistakes without worrying about expectations... also, adding 1 more lottery pick to this group is the final ingredient in this homegrown organic process. After that, sprinkle in water (free agents/trades). But just playing together for 24 minutes a night, for 50 games, will do wonders...

Dotson has not been good another disappointment after seeming like he was engaged the 1st game. I still feel it's Baker/Trier and Hick's spot who's up for grab. I don't think I've heard Fiz mention Baker at all. It's going to be interesting to see which group of guys play minutes together.

tiger0330

Legend
Baker is still rehabbing that shoulder so he's not on Fiz radar right now but no question he's a plus defender, the type of guy that appeals to Fiz. If Dotson can't knock down the 3 consistently, the Knicks have a ton of guys that will challenge him for his roster spot.

mafra

Legend
?It?s a matter of development ? it?s about when it happens,?? an NBA assistant coach said of Knox rising into an All-Star caliber player. ?But it?s going to happen. I don?t see any red flags. He?s a great, great prospect.??

?I think Kevin has great size, can shoot over people,?? one NBA GM said. ?He?s a very good shooter and has more ball skills than people thought. He scores in a variety of ways. I like his offensive game a lot. He?s the type of guy who can be one of the best offensive players in the draft.?

Indeed, the optimism over the Knicks? No. 9 pick is abundant. Ex-Knicks point guard Jose Calderon, who just signed with Pistons, gave his unsolicited praise of Knox. Calderon said he was shocked Knox is 18, the second-youngest player drafted.

?He looks so comfortable already,?? Calderon told The Post. ?He?s shooting and driving to the basket and has that good size to be really good in the league.??

Despite the rough shooting percentage (he?s 3-for-13 from 3-point range), Knox has been efficient because he?s driving to the basket and has a knack to draw fouls. He?s 12 of 16 from the line ? shooting eight free throws in each game. He?s also averaging 6.5 rebounds.

One NBA college scout noted Knox looks different as he?s going to the rack more than in college.

?He?s taking that progression ? you saw in Kentucky he can dribble and shoot and has the physical tools for today?s game,? the scout said, ?but you see it more. The Knicks got themselves an excellent player.??

At Kentucky, Knox had his ups and downs, especially defensively. He also was charged with lacking energy in some games. But one NBA personnel director said he sees a joy in Knox at summer league that perhaps was missing occasionally at Kentucky.

?I?ve always liked his length and athleticism, but he also likes to play,?? an NBA personnel director said. ?That?s a big thing to me. He likes to play the game. One thing that stood out when I studied him in college to now is I think he?s grown an inch. He?s gotten bigger. That?s scary.?

?It depends on the GM ? some value potential three, four years down the line, what is he going to be??? a personnel director said. ?Some GMs value how much they can help you now or have they spent three years in college under a good coach. Everyone has his own ideals. With a guy like Knox, he could?ve been higher if someone projected him to become really good faster than two, three years away.??

Nobody seemed to have much worry over his slight build ? take a look at Kevin Durant ? or his defensive shortcomings at Kentucky. Knox is listed at 215 pounds.

?Nah, he?s got great size,? the GM said. ?The defense will come. Most players you have to learn to play defense in this league. His offensive skills are tough to teach and he?s got them.?

?It?s another positive for me,?? the GM added of Knox being 18. ?Everybody slots these kids and he was a late lottery guy and he moved up and he should have.??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...-needs-two-games-to-show-scary-potential/amp/

jimkcchief88

All Star
I liked the pick Knox at 9. Finally we picked a known quantity in the lottery. Not so dude no one has ever seen play in some Euro-league with a name none of us can pronounce. Knox tore my Mizzou Tigers a new one in SEC league play. I?m excited about the kidđź‘Ť

Broadway

All Star
Baker is still rehabbing that shoulder so he's not on Fiz radar right now but no question he's a plus defender, the type of guy that appeals to Fiz. If Dotson can't knock down the 3 consistently, the Knicks have a ton of guys that will challenge him for his roster spot.

It's just odd Fiz has touched on about every single player but Baker, even Noah who no strong bill of health. I will not be surprised to see Baker get whacked, Phil gave him that contract so...

Broadway

All Star
Yep judging by Summer League play thus far this draft was/is definitely deep. Some really solid to strong performances by several players

tiger0330

Legend
Yep judging by Summer League play thus far this draft was/is definitely deep. Some really solid to strong performances by several players
Thibs said as much saying he was thrilled that Diop was there when they picked him at 48 when they had him ranked as a 20 or so first rounder. Said all the guys from 16-40 were very close in talent. Diop put up 24pts 11rbs 2blks against the Raps. Great set of bigs in this draft and we haven't seen Doncic yet.

Broadway

All Star
Thibs said as much saying he was thrilled that Diop was there when they picked him at 48 when they had him ranked as a 20 or so first rounder. Said all the guys from 16-40 were very close in talent. Diop put up 24pts 11rbs 2blks against the Raps. Great set of bigs in this draft and we haven't seen Doncic yet.

Nor D2(seems like he's going to be good) and a couple players have been held out of some games like Bagley, Allen, and Jackson. Lest we forget Porter could come back and be Simmonsish(productive stud after sitting out a yr) who knows.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Thus far I really like what I've seen from these players

Knox is a great athlete and has better handles than given credit for. A bit of strength is all he needs in his game.

Robinson has great physical tools...again all he needs is strength. He should eat with the Jets' D-Line

Trier on the other hand seems like your prototypical chucker but if he can take a page out of Trey Burke's book and work on his shot selection and approach, I think he can be a serviceable rotation player. As of right now he's your typical product of AAU basketball - he forces shots, doesn't do much on the facilitating end, can't really defend, and isn't that effective without the ball. He's the type of guy who would really benefit from a year in the G-League, which is where I think he'll spend the season.

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like Nits won't play tonight. Saw him in the tunnel in a polo shirt and shorts instead of a uniform. Would have liked him to build on his last game rather than taking the night off.