Other NBA games and League

mafra

Legend
Supposedly they were underwhelmed by MIA?s offer?. As the Heat seem focused on KD. Ainge wants picks and Knicks have picks?. 11 next 7 years or something?.

Randle to make money work then a second single combo of Robinson, IQ, Cam, Grimes, & Obi. Maybe 3 of them.

Or? RJ, Randle and picks?

I?m not in love but if price is reasonable? then pull the trigger. This ain?t Melo tho, and losing playing kids 1 year might be better in the long run.

But if Ainge wants a boatload of picks? Knicks 1 of the teams that can meet his asking price.

Interesting aside: I bet Ainge wouldn?t mind sticking it to BOS. He won?t look good if Stevens wins a title? So he?ll send DM to MIA-NYK ??

tiger0330

Legend
I?m actually a little surprised by this, but after dealing Gobert, Jazz are reportedly listening to offers for Donovan Mitchell.

My guess is that we?d have to make an offer that would make the Melo trade look reasonable

Mentioned this in another thread that Ainge would go full rebuild after trading Gobert and O'Neal. I'd expect we'll hear from DM re: a trade request soon with Ainge conceding the need for the Jazz to rebuild the team.

They should never have given Gobert that max deal, never pay a guy that kind of money if they only play on one side of the ball.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mentioned this in another thread that Ainge would go full rebuild after trading Gobert and O'Neal. I'd expect we'll hear from DM re: a trade request soon with Ainge conceding the need for the Jazz to rebuild the team.

They should never have given Gobert that max deal, never pay a guy that kind of money if they only play on one side of the ball.

I'm like Patrick Beverley .. when a team trades the NBA top defensive center (Gobert), the only thought next are TANKING.
I wouldn't be surprise if Ainge & Co. are putting together a three or more team trade involving Donovan Mitchell & Durant for the offseason.
The Knicks should offer Fournier & Cam & a couple of first rounders for Mitchell.

mafra

Legend
I did wonder if the DM would expand to accommodate KD.

I think Ainge wants picks and nothing that will help them win 20 games this season.

Hero or RJwoild be nice gets, yiung enough and talented enough to hope for upside potential, but not enough to impact winning this season.

I feel as tho MIA will benefit from D-Wade in Utah ownership group? Mitchell-Butler-KD?.

Bam and Lowry to Nets, Hero to Utah with Cam Thomas and picks.

Nets don?t have picks tho, and not sure MIA does (or that they?ll be attractive).

So, with draft capital and fact this franchise stinks?. Ainge could envision NYK picks being gold. Who knows.

RJ + picks
OBI/IQ/Cam + picks

I preferred Murray over Mitchell tho, as a better backcourt compliment to Brunson.

But, as bad as the last 20 years have been? would you be on board for 4 year DM run?

Personally, I feel we are 1 more year away? play kids, hope you land top 5 pick? future looks bright.

Go get SGA instead next year.

tiger0330

Legend
I'm like Patrick Beverley .. when a team trades the NBA top defensive center (Gobert), the only thought next are TANKING.
I wouldn't be surprise if Ainge & Co. are putting together a three or more team trade involving Donovan Mitchell & Durant for the offseason.
The Knicks should offer Fournier & Cam & a couple of first rounders for Mitchell.

I'd give them Randall as well if they wanted him in a deal.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Ian Begley says NYK have no interest in trading RJ Barrett (for Donovan Mitchell).

Hopefully, Leon Rose is smart enough to not gut team for DM. They can have draft picks and OBI/IQ?.

Kiyaman

Legend
Ian Begley says NYK have no interest in trading RJ Barrett (for Donovan Mitchell).

Hopefully, Leon Rose is smart enough to not gut team for DM. They can have draft picks and OBI/IQ?.

The Obi Toppin & Quickley's tandem connection are worth 20 RJ Barrett's plus two first round picks.
I still don't know what Knicks fans see in RJ Barrett's performance other than being a 3rd pick in a BUST draft class. His passing skills and chemistry stinks, he's become a poor man SG, and a clueless SF wing.
I would rather the Knicks FO put all their energy at signing Jazz ex-Head Coach Snyder, rather than waste energy trying to trade for Donovan Mitchell.

The Knicks FO gathering all those future first round picks in the offseason, when the Knicks FO don't have one person that knows what to do with one of those future first picks LOL !!!
If the Knicks knew what to do with a early draft pick they would've selected SG/SF "Jalen Williams" with the 11 pick. Jalen Williams high potential and raw multi-position talent would ease his way into a lot of teams rotation in his rookie season, plus his B.ball IQ in a open court will out-perform Fournier, Barrett, and Cam at their position within his 2nd NBA season. Stop looking at OKC SL star Holmgren, and start looking at SF Jalen Williams and PF Dieng to see what I'm talking about.
Recall the Knicks trade, of (inconsistence) Knox final season contract for (inconsistent) Cam Reddish 2 yr contract would have been a EVEN-equal trade, until the Knicks added a future first round pick into the mix. If Cam Reddish was a PG, which the Knicks had needed desperately at the time of the trade then giving up a first round pick and an ending contract player would've been a wise move for a PG (Rajon Rondo).

tiger0330

Legend
Celtics reportedly offered Jaylen Brown, Derrick White and a draft pick for Kevin Durant. Nets turned them down wanting Marcus Smart also. If the Jazz could make the kind of deal for a guy that never got them a ring in Gobert I don?t blame the Nets for asking for the moon for Durant.

mafra

Legend
Instead of Mitchell, perhaps NYK should try to get involved in the BOS-BKLN KD trade?.

Knicks get Jaylen Brown.

BOS gets KD and D-Rose

Nets get 7 first rounder (2 from BOS), and whatnot

King shot indeed? but I would prefer Brown to Mitchell, as better fit for this roster.

mafra

Legend
Mark Jackson recently reflected on the life-changing transaction (via SNY):

?Well I do believe that we win a championship,? said Jackson, who was traded to the Clippers in a three-team deal that sent Doc Rivers and Charles Smith to New York in 1993. ?We had a great team, we had a process moving along, we advanced. We had the ultimate champs on the ropes. So I believe we win a championship if that team stays together. But I?m sure if you ask the opposition, they believe they win anyway.?

He continued:

?I believe if we stay together, we beat (Jordan and the Bulls). We were up in the fourth quarter of a Game 7, with Michael Jordan on the team. So I?m not saying something that?s asinine,? Jackson said. ?They were an all-time great team and they had an all-time great player. But I believe we had a chance to beat him and I think that if we stayed together we would have.?

Based on win shares, Jackson immediately had his career-best campaign with the Clippers in 1992-93. He scored 14.4 points per game, the highest he ever recorded outside his sole All-Star season in 1988-89.

Meanwhile, Rivers? scoring averages steadily decreased during the remaining seasons of his professional career after the transaction.

The Knicks made it to the Eastern Conference Finals and lost to the Bulls in 1993. Although they made it to the NBA Finals in 1994, the team was defeated by Mark Jackson?s Pacers in the 1995 Conference Semifinals.

New York last won an NBA title in 1973, nearly fifty years ago.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mark Jackson recently reflected on the life-changing transaction (via SNY):

?Well I do believe that we win a championship,? said Jackson, who was traded to the Clippers in a three-team deal that sent Doc Rivers and Charles Smith to New York in 1993. ?We had a great team, we had a process moving along, we advanced. We had the ultimate champs on the ropes. So I believe we win a championship if that team stays together. But I?m sure if you ask the opposition, they believe they win anyway.?

He continued:

?I believe if we stay together, we beat (Jordan and the Bulls). We were up in the fourth quarter of a Game 7, with Michael Jordan on the team. So I?m not saying something that?s asinine,? Jackson said. ?They were an all-time great team and they had an all-time great player. But I believe we had a chance to beat him and I think that if we stayed together we would have.?

Based on win shares, Jackson immediately had his career-best campaign with the Clippers in 1992-93. He scored 14.4 points per game, the highest he ever recorded outside his sole All-Star season in 1988-89.

Meanwhile, Rivers? scoring averages steadily decreased during the remaining seasons of his professional career after the transaction.

The Knicks made it to the Eastern Conference Finals and lost to the Bulls in 1993. Although they made it to the NBA Finals in 1994, the team was defeated by Mark Jackson?s Pacers in the 1995 Conference Semifinals.

New York last won an NBA title in 1973, nearly fifty years ago.

The Knicks had the players and head coaches to win 2 championships, from the end of the 1980's (Hubie Brown), and in the 1990's (Pat Riley) .... Butt ..
The mismanagement Knicks FO has always refuse to get on the SAME-PAGE with the Knicks coaching-staff !!!
Back then the Knicks should've Kept players .. Bernard King, Bill Cartwright, Mark Jackson, Anthony Mason, Camby/Sprewell, and Ewing were supposed to retire a Knicks.
And head coach/GM/President Pat Riley career were supposed to be with the New York Knicks, not the Miami Heat. The Dolan Family sports !!!

mafra

Legend
Any talk of the 1990s must begin with the transition from 1987?. GMs and Coaches coming and going? changes afoot? and the Ewing dynasty was forever altered by the decisions made from fall of 1986 to summer of 1987?

Never forget:

KNicks sent a 1987 first round pick (they obtained in another trade with DEN) to CHI Bulls for a C (Oldham) despite fact they had Patrick Ewing, Bill Cartwright, and Pat Cummings on roster already.

Knicks also sent their own first rounder to SEA for Gerald Henderson (a pick swap).

Instead of selecting 6th and 8th in the 1987 draft, and drafting Scottie Pippen and Reggie Miller?. They draft in the late teens ? and somehow get the great St Johns PG Mark Jackson.

In an ironic twist of fate, SEA dealt the 6th pick (Polynice) to CHI for Pippen, taken 8th, in arguably worst trade in NBA history.

Meanwhile, both Oldham
And Henderson off KNicks by 1989.

Imagine Ewing in 90s with Pippen and Miller.

The other day, Mark Jackson said KNicks win a title (probably 1993 and 1994) had they not dealt Jax to LAC for Doc Rivers.

Knicks took MJ to game 7 in 1992, and led in 4th. Jax has his best year in 1993,
Of course.

Knicks on verge of finally knocking out MJ in 1993? until Charles Smith forgets how to dunk and gets game winning bucket blocked 4 times in 3 seconds

Kiyaman

Legend
I recall the Knicks having two 95% scorers in the paint name Bill Cartwright & Patrick Ewing, gave rookie PG Mark Jackson the ROY.
The Knicks trading Bill Cartwright to the Bulls the next season for just a rebounder Oakley, gave the Bulls MJ & Pippin & Paxon the BIG Body they need in the paint to get their first/second/and third NBA championship ring.

mafra

Legend
Carmelo Anthony talks secret meeting that sent him to New York Knicks on 10th anniversary of trade

Updated: Feb. 22, 2021, 3:23 p.m.|Published: Feb. 22, 2021, 3:23 p.m.

By Mike Curtis | [email protected]

Today marks the 10-year anniversary of when the New York Knicks acquired Carmelo Anthony in a trade from the Denver Nuggets.

The former Syracuse star was part of a blockbuster multi-player deal that sent him to the Big Apple, along with Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman, in exchange for Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, a 2014 first-round draft pick and cash considerations.

Anthony recently discussed a top-secret meeting in Los Angeles during the weekend of the 2011 NBA All-Star Game that led to an agreement between the franchises ? along with the Minnesota Timberwolves ? on ?The Woj Pod? with ESPN senior NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski.

According to Wojnarowski, the meeting included Knicks owner Jim Dolan, former Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri, Anthony, his former agent, Leon Rose, as well as longtime friend and business partner Robert ?Bay? Frazier.

The meeting was called as a last-ditch effort after several attempts to complete the deal. Anthony said he had previous conversations with the Nuggets before that season and had a pretty solid idea on which players were leaving, who was staying and how the team would be broken up.

Anthony said he didn?t want to be part of a rebuilding year in his seventh season in the NBA, especially following his best season with the franchise that resulted in an appearance in the Western Conference Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers, which was a team rumored to acquire the future Hall of Famer, along with the Utah Jazz and New Jersey Nets.

The proposed deal with New Jersey was interesting because the Nets were scheduled to move to Brooklyn - Anthony?s birthplace - in 2012.

?I remember everything about it,? Anthony told Wojnarowski. ?(The) New York Knicks come in at the 25th hour and we have the ?infamous meeting? at 3 o?clock in the morning and it?s just, ?What are we going to do?? At this point, we have to make this decision. If New York is going to be the place, we might as well sit down, break bread, let?s figure this out and let?s make this happen.?

Wojnarowski pointed out that the 10-time All-Star essentially watched and listened to both parties negotiate the trade right in front of him.

?It was a lot,? Anthony said. ?It was a lot from the Denver side. At this point, they were saying New York doesn?t have anything that we would want back. At first, (Denver) was like, ?We?re not going to just give up Melo for anybody, so you guys gotta come to the table with something.?

?I?m hearing what Denver wants and I?m hearing what New York doesn?t want to give up. I?m sitting there like, ?Are we about to nix this trade because of this player? Like, I?m not worth that to you guys?? This is what I?m thinking as a player at that point in time because I?m in the room and at the table at this negotiation.?

Mozgov was later revealed as the ?dealbreaker? in the trade between the Knicks and Nuggets, Anthony said.

Anthony also wanted to clarify that he never wanted to leave the Nuggets, but the addition of new front office personnel entering the organization and the Nuggets? plan to not re-sign Billups and trade J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin made it difficult, combined with his desire of not wanting to be a part of a roster rebuild.

?I never wanted the narrative to be ?Melo forced his way out of Denver,? ? Anthony said. ?I never said I?m not showing up, trade me or I?m not going to come around ... I was still there early. I was still there late. I was still making sure everyone was good.?

In six-plus seasons with the Knicks, Anthony averaged 24.7 points and 7.0 rebounds over 412 games. He led the franchise to three-consecutive playoff appearances until his time ended after four-straight losing seasons.

Since then, Anthony?s basketball journey has brought him from the Oklahoma City Thunder, to a handful of forgettable games with the Houston Rockets, to the Portland Trail Blazers, where he provides an offensive spark off the bench ? averaging 13.1 points and 3.5 rebounds.

The meeting that led him to New York, however, will be an unforgettable moment.

?That will probably be one of the most memorable meetings I?ve ever, ever had,? Anthony said.

Anthony also talked about the 2004 Olympics in Athens, the birthplace of the possibility of teaming up with LeBron James and other All-Stars in free agency during the summer of 2010.

He said he signed a five-year deal with the Nuggets ? while James and Dwyane Wade signed three-year contracts ? because he felt the most comfortable and confident since the team he was building had already been successful.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebask...york-knicks-on-10th-anniversary-of-trade.html

mafra

Legend
Wilt Chamberlain tried to join Knicks for 1973-1974 season? Lakers prevented the move?.

1975, Kareem wanted to come home but Knicks felt he wasn?t needed.

?
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was growing tired of living in Milwaukee ? as a man from New York, he wanted to go back home. In 1975 he sent out a come get me plea to the Knicks, who turned him down. This was a team whose best player on the court was Walt Frazier. The team turned him down because they thought they had a ?decent? team.?

1987? Pippen and Reggie Miller could?ve been KNicks but NY traded 2 lottery picks for vets (who would be off team within a season).

2009? Knicks have trade to move up for Curry, but Walsh felt he would be available when they were OTC so he get it wasn?t necessary to trade a rotation player for the right to draft him.

That?s 5 HOF GOATS that slippes through their fingers?.

Kiyaman

Legend
We are going on 2 weeks after the Donovan Mitchell trade to Cleveland Cavs, and all the top sports writers are still writing articles about Knicks and Donovan Mitchell.
I visited a NY Post sight on a new article printed about how will the Knicks match up to the teams in the EAST .. and the majority of the article had how Donovan Mitchell would've - could've for the Knicks.
Then you have a bunch of articles of ex-NBA players, ex-NBA coaches, and celebrities comment on Knicks and Donovan Mitchell ..
The Knicks offseason top news throughout the month of July, August, and now September has been all about Donovan Mitchell .. SAD SAD SAD !!!

The Knicks offseason article about the draft, waives, trades, FA market, and the collection of future draft picks, did not improve the Knicks rebuilding process to give Knicks fans a good optimism of the 2022-23 Knicks season.
I like the signing of Brunson, but he's not Chris Paul !!!
Brunson is a decent four year NBA player who became a starter PG in the final season of his contract.
Do not forget Brunson performance always had 1 or 2 PG in his lineup (Doncic, Dinwiddie, Frank) to perform on the next level in Dallas.
Will Brunson performance as the Knicks 30 minute PG, need Rose, or Quickley, or McBride in the lineup to have a winning performance?
Or will Brunson share the PG duties with Randle ???

Oh yeah, no article or comments from head coach Tom Thibs about the Knicks offseason moves ....

Kiyaman

Legend
When the 2022-23 NBA regular season start, and the Knicks play against full position .500 team like Philly/Boston/or Toronto (Atlantic Division) ....
It will become very easy to see what position the Knicks are weak ..
And what position the Knicks need to get better by trade during the season ..
And what position players need to be on the trade table ..

PG Brunson/D.Rose/McBride .. Grade B
SG Fournier/Quickley/Grimes/Keels .. Grade B
SF RJ Barrett/Cam Reddish .. Grade F
PF Randle/Obi Toppin .. Grade C+
C MitchRob/Hart/Sims .. Grade B+

P.S. How many SG are Leon Rose gonna keep signing to be a Knicks during his tour ???
He inherited SG RJ Barrett & SG Burks .. then added Quickley, Grimes, Fournier, Dotson, Keels, and almost Donovan Mitchell.