Porzingis blows off exit meeting

tiger0330

Legend
Begley reporting KP blew off PJ and Mills exit meeting because of frustration.

Just to add to PJs problems.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I hope this isn't true.... if it is, I might even call SAC and ask if they'd deal us their 2 lottery picks for KP.

First of all, part of the reason NYK became a dysfunctional mess is bc KP underwhelmed this year. How often was he impactful? Clutch? And, geez, try finishing a season on the floor and in street clothes.

mafra

Legend
Jackson said Friday that he'll listen to trade offers for all his players, including Porzingis, because, "Everything has to be possible."And in an effort to mold Porzingis into a post player better fit for the triangle, Jackson said he wants fewer 3-pointers.

The embattled team president even called Porzingis' treys, "A cheap way to score." Porzingis averaged 4.8 3-point attempts per game this season, up considerably from his rookie campaign.

?He had a game he didn?t take a three, which I told him that was important,? the team president said. ?If it?s not there you don?t have to take a three. That?s sometimes just a cheap way to score points or you get anxious to score points. He had a shorter delivery on his shot. He learned some post-up things that were good.?

tiger0330

Legend
This is more a shock than any news about Melo. Didn't think the kid had it in him, popping off on PJ and Mills by blowing off his exit interview. Maybe a sympathy move supporting his mentor/buddy Melo.

Kid better get used to losing, this is year one of a rebuilding, I doubt we become even a .500 team before PJ leaves and KPs rookie contract ends.

Broadway

All Star
I said when we drafted the kid he'd have to be better than we think he is in order for this franchise to change. I was for trading down in that draft too, because I didn't feel we truly knew who we wanted to draft. Needless to say while extremely unprofessional of him I could tell by his offseason plans he sounded like a guy who simply wants to get away from this TOXIC environment a.s.a.p. He's young and still green, doesn't quite understand how he should conduct himself but I feel this is a message being sent to the organization by him.

I'm all for Phil including him in scenarios of major upheaval, I recently used the term "blowtorch"...as in everything. While I like some things about #kporzee and what he brings overall he's doesn't quite suit the fancy of "til death do us part".

I'm not surprised at all!

tiger0330

Legend
Jackson said Friday that he'll listen to trade offers for all his players, including Porzingis, because, "Everything has to be possible."And in an effort to mold Porzingis into a post player better fit for the triangle, Jackson said he wants fewer 3-pointers.

The embattled team president even called Porzingis' treys, "A cheap way to score." Porzingis averaged 4.8 3-point attempts per game this season, up considerably from his rookie campaign.

“He had a game he didn’t take a three, which I told him that was important,” the team president said. “If it’s not there you don’t have to take a three. That’s sometimes just a cheap way to score points or you get anxious to score points. He had a shorter delivery on his shot. He learned some post-up things that were good.”
The kid probably didn't take kindly to PJ telling him not to shoot 3s since he thinks he's the 7'3" version of Steph or Kyrie.

We'll see how much progress he makes in the off-season but I get the feeling he doesn't like or want to play in the post.

mafra

Legend
Just for kicks... if you're SAC would you take the known over the unknown? Say, trade the 4th and 10th pick for KP?

KP and Buddy....

And, if you were running the Knicks, would you trade KP and start rebuild with 3 top 10 picks and WHG? Ask for more?

Broadway

All Star
Just for kicks... if you're SAC would you take the known over the unknown? Say, trade the 4th and 10th pick for KP?

KP and Buddy....

And, if you were running the Knicks, would you trade KP and start rebuild with 3 top 10 picks and WHG? Ask for more?

You mean 8 and 10 right? Maybe a puncher's chance getting closer to the draft. Probably can't get both of them but I would do this trade.

mafra

Legend
I certainly wouldn't do it for less. And, if it were 2 pucks beyond the top 7.... I would demand SAC's unprotected 2018 pick. And that trade I would do in a heartbeat.

WHG and 3 lottery picks and potentially 2 more lottery picks next year. That would turn around this team quickly, especially if we traded Melo for something.

Like you said.... I like KP's potential but I'm not ga-ga over it either.

Phil Jackson is the problem here, not KP. If you're going to get rid one of them and it's not PJ, you sure as hell better be getting a sure thing in return. Like KP's game or not, he is the only player asset we have with even the slightest value at the moment.

paris401

Starter
Phil Jackson is the problem here, not KP. If you're going to get rid one of them and it's not PJ, you sure as hell better be getting a sure thing in return. Like KP's game or not, he is the only player asset we have with even the slightest value at the moment.

TRUE..TRUE.... we will see what value Me-Lo has, I think it low...real low... lets see who else has value... ohh yea ... ron baker... , Phil was touting him ... he's not even a starter in the D league ... I always thought Phil was a pot head... when did he switch over to crack...

tiger0330

Legend
One guys comments about Porzingis not liking PJ trading Melo to go full Sixers made me laugh. How long have the Sixer's been rebuilding? Knicks are just starting 3 years into the PJ era, Dolan should have given him a 10 year contract at the rate he's going to turn this franchise around.

Broadway

All Star
One guys comments about Porzingis not liking PJ trading Melo to go full Sixers made me laugh. How long have the Sixer's been rebuilding? Knicks are just starting 3 years into the PJ era, Dolan should have given him a 10 year contract at the rate he's going to turn this franchise around.

Knicks haven't really been rebuilding(in the true tear down sense) if #kporzee was the start of it. We still may not do a complete rebuild although we'll come a lot closer going forward.

If we go back to drafting #kporzee where was the pick the following yr? Oh that's right the trash GM we had prior to Phil traded it in the Bargnani trade. Speaking of rebuilding Carmelo stated the Knicks were doing this in the sense of him being the center piece as in rebuilding around him...how long did we do that? So if we were to take this at face value one has to almost laugh at the Philly compared insertion going down memory lane

Oh we know the GM who had a chance to draft Jimmy Butler but instead drafted Iman Shumpert, who had a chance to draft Rudy Gobert but instead drafted Tim Hardaway Jr. The same GM who gave Steve Novak, and Landry Fields garbage deals and then brought back Raymond Felton through a garbage trade and yet fans keep hanging hat on the suspect 53 win season? GTFOH!

Let me ask an honest question...do Knick fans ever reflect in awe how Denver won 57gms the same season a couple seasons removed from trading Melo? I'll answer this loaded ?...NO! We don't because we don't look at that season with any merit because it was flukey and their subsequent seasons following proved it. Much the same with our Knicks. Proof was in the spiked pudding

Phil/Knicks have a chance to do this now with ridding ourselves of Melo and not bringing back Rose, thus we can build around a young core as the focus and not overrated so called stars.

and1

Rotation player

yes, phil is the problem. he wants to mold KP into a post player, which is something KP obviously does not like.
and the fact that 3s are a cheap way to score? can he really be that clueless about how the game has changed over the past bunch of years?
what we witnessed this year with the unnecessary drama and manipulation and sabotaging is not going to end this summer.
phil wants them to 'win' his way, but his way is not going to lead to winning.
and what are we going to do? blow it up every summer so that we have absolutely no consistency at all from season to season?

mafra

Legend
And a HUGE problem with Phil.... he'll leave in 2 years and NYK will
throw triangle principles and concepts into the scrap heap of history....

So, a roster assembled with triangle players in mind (specifically next 2 drafts) might set us back even more.

Then again, if Phil funds 2-3 KP/WHG types, and either Baker or Randle prove to be Ward type PG.... by a complete accident Phil might at least leave something worthwhile.

jimkcchief88

All Star
That was the problem with how PJAx treated Melo. No matter how much you dislike Melo, he was the highest paid, longest tenured Knicks and de facto team leader. So when PJAx dissed Melo publicly it spoke volumes to the rest of the team esp. the young guys. Melo was KP's mentor so KP was like screw it. "Why go hear about how much I suck when the entire operation sucked from top to bottom." I mean even Oak getting dissed by this "organization". I'm sure KP wants out and PJAx might oblige him. Remember PJAx is learning on the job and wasn't ever qualifyfied to be GM:( And like said above why keep "triangle-master" Phil when in two years his successor will throw that mess in the trash where it belongs.:(

Broadway

All Star
March 1st 2017 #kporzee said

ORLANDO, Fla. ? Phil Jackson isn?t the only person who likes that the Knicks are playing more triangle. Kristaps Porzingis is a fan of the often-criticized offense and believes the Knicks should have been emphasizing it from the start of the season.

?We?re starting to learn it now the way we should [and] we should have been playing from the beginning of the season,? Porzingis said ?So we?re a little behind. But every game we?re getting a little better. Hopefully, I don?t know when, we can start using it properly and making some impact playing it.?

Porzingis, who returned Wednesday night after missing the past two games with a sprained right ankle, is happy the Knicks have gone back to utilizing more triangle since returning from the All-Star break last week. His opinion matters since the Knicks will be building around Porzingis.

Coach Jeff Hornacek said a goal for the rest of this season is to ?continue to grow the offense,? and that the Knicks would evaluate players on whether they can play in it.

?I like the triangle,? Porzingis said. ?My first season, the whole first season we played nothing but the triangle so I know it pretty well. I like the offense. It can only work if everybody believes in it and everybody executes it the right way.?

Ha Ha Ha #kporzee butthurt over his boy Melo and him being called about by Phil about their game. So he decided to take his ball and go home awwwwww. He's SOFF folks, no other way to slice it. I have more articles locked and loaded to expose him if what's being written is true. His 2nd yr was lukewarm as they come.

I clearly said #kporzee told on himself early with how thin skinned he is, in particular trying to stick up for Melo publicly. Phil said in the presser there are close to about 12 guys on the team who make effort to play in the system, but a a few who rebell it. Fans even recognized how different the team looks without certain guys playing and giving full effort. Did evidence not show WHG and #kporzee were pretty productive together whatever we were running? Did not some players show effort and play hard down the stretch? So who in totality is rebelling this summer?

Sounds like the media wants in on this war, as usual

and1

Rotation player
KP's kind of self-contracting behavior and statements (saying we should've stuck to the triangle all along even though they were playing better without it, then being very unhappy with phil) all in a span of just 2-3 weeks is more evidence to me of the kind of confusing mind-games and manipulation saturating the 'culture' of this organization, something phil is a master of. we will never be successful as long as this kind of culture thrives.

mafra

Legend
While he loves New York, Kristaps Porzingis made it clear that being in a situation that gives him a chance to win will be the most important factor for the Latvian star when deciding whether or not to re-sign with the Knicks in two years.

"Absolutely, I want to stay here all my career,'' Porzingis said about re-signing in New York, according to the English translation provided by Sporta Avize, a Latvian sports magazine. "But the thing I want most of all is winning. When the time comes, I will seriously start to think about it. Right now I just try to do my best."

Sources say Porzingis is unhappy with Phil Jackson's treatment of Carmelo Anthony. When asked about Anthony's situation with the team, the 21-year old said the media helped exaggerate the tension between Jackson and the veteran forward.

"This was a situation media did not hesitate to heat up more than it was in reality," said Porzingis. "I think there was some mistakes from Phil - things he maybe shouldn't [have] said or written, things that made the situation worse or made him not look good. But at the same time - it's that kind of business. I understand.''

It certainly was a miserable season for the Knicks, but Porzingis believes he gained some valuable experience this year with the team going 31-51.

"In a one way this was a good year for me to see how can I handle so crappy a time and learn from that. It was unpleasant but valuable experience to learn from, to get through it and continue to play with the right attitude and maximum concentration," Porzingis said. "If you want to be a leader you have to start with yourself - first you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself: what can you do better? And only then tell your teammates what they should do better ? a real test for the brains."

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks sent Josh Longstaff over to Latvia last year. Sending Josh Longstaff over there is a joke, he's like 6ft tall, how is he going to develop KP's big man skills. The kid has a major gripe with the Knicks which can't be good.

The cold war continues.

In officially announcing his participation with Team Latvia this summer, Kristaps Porzingis revealed Monday he still has not spoken to Knicks officials since the season ended or gotten express permission from the team on his decision to play in the European championships.

Speaking at a press conference in Leipaja, his hometown, and flanked by his two brothers, the disgruntled 7-foot-3 star said in his native tongue, according to a translation provided by Latvian journalist Ingmars Jurisons: “To be honest — I don’t want to comment on anything that happened at the season’s end. Personally I did not have any contact with anybody from the club [since the season ended], so … better that Janis comment on this.”

Janis Porzingis, the eldest brother, who is one of Porzingis’ agents for ASM Sports, added: “It’s always a player’s decision, it’s Kristaps’ decision. Obviously it’s harder during the first couple years in the league, but after that you decide things on your own. And Kristaps is in a position to do that.”

As he did last week, Porzingis declined to specify why he blew off his exit meeting with Knicks president Phil Jackson on April 13.

“I don’t want to talk about what happened between me and the club,” Porzingis said, repeating the line twice during a 45-minute press conference attended by about 45 European journalists.

The European championships begin in late August, but training camp starts in July. Last summer, after Porzingis’ sterling rookie year, the Knicks recommended he not participate in the Olympic qualifier for Latvia to work on individual skills.

“I thought about this for a while already, maybe subconsciously, but when the season ended and since I am healthy — I realized that I certainly want to help the national team,’’ Porzingis said.

Porzingis, who left for Latvia last Thursday, promised he will report to Knicks late-September training camp on time despite the national-team obligation.

“My next focus is national team,’’ Porzingis said. “My third season is still far away. The main thing is to put in a lot of work during the summer to be ready, first for national team, then for next season. The European championships ends before the official NBA camp starts, so I have enough time to turn back to New York. I’ll be there on time.”

One of many issues this season was Porzingis’ failure to get the ball late in close games. He has yet to hit a game-winning shot in his two seasons.

“It’s harder for my family,’’ Porzingis said, laughing. “When we play road games, my family comes together to watch it in my apartment, and after one such game, I needed a new TV set. Janis was way too upset at one point.’’

The Knicks are in the dark on why Porzingis went AWOL. Sources told The Post he isn’t happy with the way the franchise is being run — with Jackson publicly trying to trade his mentor Carmelo Anthony and issuing mixed messages on the team’s offensive and defensive systems. Porzingis described the climate as “confusion’’ in March.

Porzingis, who was limited to 66 games in an injury-plagued sophomore season, was asked at the press conference if he sees himself with the Knicks after his rookie contract expires in 2019. The Knicks can extend a qualifying offer to Porzingis after Year 4, which would make him a restricted free agent and allow them to match any contract offer he receives.

“To be honest, I don’t think about that right now, I just try to do my best. I believe everything will resolve itself,” he said.

Janis Porzingis then added, “Actually there is no reason for this question — Kristaps is drafted there, he wants to play his whole career in New York.’’

Porzingis recently told a Latvian magazine he wants to retire a Knick, but “winning is most important.’’

Porzingis repeated he would take up boxing as training this summer, mentioning he would have sessions with WBC champ Mairis Briedis, who is from Latvia. Porzingis said he isn’t sure if any Knicks assistant coaches will come to Latvia to work out with him this summer like last year, when Joshua Longstaff was dispatched.

“Maybe Kristaps’ personal coach will visit KP’s summer camp [in mid-June] in Liepaja as he did last year, but nothing more,’’ Janis said.

Martins Porzingis, the elder brother who lives in the same Manhattan apartment complex as Kristaps, said the attention in New York was too much to bear after the exit-meeting blowoff.

“There was a lot of pressure from New York media in the last couple of weeks, a lot of questions we had no answers to,’’ Martins Porzingis said. “I could not wait to go home.’’

Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek said earlier this month he wanted to discuss the Euro championships with Porzingis after the season. Porzingis, Mindaugas Kuzminskas (Lithuania) and Willy Hernangomez (Spain) are also playing in the competition, and the Knicks coach added he wanted to talk to their coaches to request their practice time be limited.

Pre-tournament exhibitions start in early August with Latvia facing Lithuania.

“I talked to Kuzminskas already during the season about [the event],’’ Porzingis said. “That we’re gonna kick Lithuania a– in exhibition games.’’