Possibility Of 2011-2012 Season Being Cancelled Due To Intensifying Labor Struggle

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
david-stern-dictator.jpg

The NBAPA has issued an instruction book to its players to help prepare for a lockout. The motto on its cover is 'Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.'

The 56-page handbook was distributed at team meetings between November and February, according to union spokesman Dan Wasserman.

?There?s no magic pill,? Wasserman said. ?As long as they?re thinking about what they?re spending, it?s a step in the right direction.?

The players union of the NFL issued a similar handbook.

The NBAPA handbook offers tips on how to handle mortgages and rents and suggests not to purchase new cars, clothing and jewelry. It even offers advice on communicating with wives, children, agents and entourages.

Billy Hunter, the union?s executive director, warns in the handbook that ?a lockout is VERY likely.?

?The revenue increases and unprecedented growth the league is experiencing has done nothing to assuage ownership?s demand that we drastically reduce player salaries and benefits,? Hunter says in the guide. ?Commissioner (David) Stern and the owners have given us but one option and that is to fight for a fair deal.?

Also included is a timeline of potential key dates from July 2010 to July 2012. Under Jan. 7, 2012, it says: ?Season canceled. Approximate deadline for league and owners canceling 2011-12 season. NBA becomes only second North American professional sports league to have its entire season canceled due to labor struggle.?

nba-doenst-care.jpg

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...age_Lockout_Handbook_To_Players#ixzz1GLviYqbb

★ Should be in the NBA section, but that's basically defunct.

Would be horrible news for the Knicks & Knick fans in general. Amare & Melo won't be in their prime years forever. It's not like their 20-23 years of age to begin with. They are enjoying their prime years though. Losing a full year of a potential championship run would set us back. Damn man... It's sad when NFL & NBA players & owners are all loaded with millions and millions, set for life... and fans, such as myself, who only make 42-44k per year & after bills lucky to have 5k saved @ the end of the year have to deal with BS money hungry bastards ruining sports. I'lll always love the Knicks, Jets & Rays but sports is becoming a joke.

vpell

Benchwarmer
Would be horrible news for the Knicks & Knick fans in general. Amare & Melo won't be in their prime years forever. It's not like their 20-23 years of age to begin with. They are enjoying their prime years though. Losing a full year of a potential championship run would set us back. Damn man... It's sad when NFL & NBA players & owners are all loaded with millions and millions, set for life... and fans, such as myself, who only make 42-44k per year & after bills lucky to have 5k saved @ the end of the year have to deal with BS money hungry bastards ruining sports. I'lll always love the Knicks, Jets & Rays but sports is becoming a joke.
no, it's sad when players are completely gypped by greedy owners who make ridiculous profits off of us fans AND the players. The players deserve their cut, they're the reason this league exists.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Unlike the NFL, the weakest NBA teams (in terms of revenue) can't survive a year without basketball because they're barely making ends meet right now. But in the NFL, even teams like the Lions and Rams (pre-Braford) made a decent amount of money.

No way the owners of teams like the Grizz and T-wolves sit back and allow there to be a lockout...they're done if there's an entire calendar year with no games. And if the NBA is against contraction, like Stern says it is, they can't allow some of their teams to cease to exist because they couldn't agree on a new CBA. Unless the NBA "saves" those teams too, but they're already controlling the Hornets until they get a new buyer....will the NBA take control of 3-4 teams if there's a lockout?

I think the NFL has a better chance at a lockout than the NBA does. Preparing your union members for what might happen in the future is just covering your bases, crossing all your Ts and dotting all your Is. Look for a new CBA with "improved" revenue sharing for the smaller market teams who aren't powerhouses like the Spurs.

NFL owners from top to bottom can go at least one season without football, current NBA owners are hemorrhaging money in the middle of the season.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Billionaires arguing with millionaires over money and the only people that suffer in this are the fans. When are they going to realize they don't exist without us? They continue to slap us in the face. If we all stopped paying attention to these egomaniacs there would be a lot of 6'10" guys bagging groceries.

And the notion that owners are making a lot of money at the expense of the players is false. 18 of the 30 teams in the NBA are losing money every year.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I hope the talks between the players and their teams will come to an agreement, not only because I will be pretty sad not watching my Knicks playing, but I already planned a trip to the city in middle October and it will be like nightmare come true if there will be no preseason or regular season games at the Garden, especially that I come overseas and dunno when I will get next chance to visit New York.
:boohoo:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Financial Issues

Although the fight appears to be between billionaire owners and millionaire players, the true financial issues are hidden from the fans because the "books" are not open and if they were, the content would require expertise to comprehend.

The owners, I believe, are relying on the fact that a player's earning period is limited and that many of them have been profligate with their money. Case in point: Eddy Curry. And relatively few of the players have made enough money to set them up for life even if they never play again.

I would like to get numbers that reflect the gross proceeds each team earns a season. There is television money for nationally televised games. Is that money split evenly among all the teams? There is revenue for tickets for each home game. How is that split? There is related income from beer, peanuts etc sold at the games. How is that split? Each team has deals with local television and radio. Is each team on its own with that revenue? There is revenue from the sales of jerseys and all sorts of NBA basketball related items. At least some of that is shared, but more Kobe jerseys are sold than Timofey Movgov jerseys.

In any event, each team grosses a certain amount of revenue each year. Those numbers are easy enough to establish. It's the expenses that cause problems. Players' salaries and benefits are simple enough to calculate. What is left over?

If we take the what is left over after players' salaries and benefits are deducted and call that a "gross margin," there is probably a significant difference in the gross margins for the individual teams with the big market teams having the most left over.

But what about other expenses that are to be deducted from gross margin to produce a net? If a billionaire owner pays more for his team than is reasonable as a business proposition because he has a lot of money and wants this toy, should he be able to expense his debt service for the purchase price and then claim he is losing money because he paid too much for the team?

The billionaire owners even if they have the money to buy in their back pockets, would prefer to use what they have to earn additional money. Believing they can do better than the interest they would pay on loans, they borrow to buy the teams.

How efficiently do they run the teams? How many family members are on the payroll? Who uses the team's plane or planes in the off season? What is the cost for using the stadiums? Some teams probably have better deals with the host cities than others. Some teams might even own the facilities. If so, what expense is attributed to the team's use of the facdilities?

The "gross margin" -- gross revenue minus players' 'salaries and benefits -- in my opinion is the most significant number. The other expenses make or break a team and those other expenses may be the result of gross mismanagement or simply putting friends and family on the till. The owner of the corner convenience market who feeds his family and friends from the store shelves and or pays them unwarranted salaries, will "net" less than an owner who charges everyone and hires without nepotism. But both stores, others things being equal, will have the same gross margin, in this case, gross revenue less cost of goods sold.

My guess is that all the teams have an adequate gross margin. If some teams do not, then the teams are not being supported by the fans and should consider another market. It is my belief, though I do not have the numbers to back it up, that the players are the ones actually getting short-changed. This is generally the way capitalism works.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Although the fight appears to be between billionaire owners and millionaire players, the true financial issues are hidden from the fans because the "books" are not open and if they were, the content would require expertise to comprehend.

The owners, I believe, are relying on the fact that a player's earning period is limited and that many of them have been profligate with their money. Case in point: Eddy Curry. And relatively few of the players have made enough money to set them up for life even if they never play again.

I would like to get numbers that reflect the gross proceeds each team earns a season. There is television money for nationally televised games. Is that money split evenly among all the teams? There is revenue for tickets for each home game. How is that split? There is related income from beer, peanuts etc sold at the games. How is that split? Each team has deals with local television and radio. Is each team on its own with that revenue? There is revenue from the sales of jerseys and all sorts of NBA basketball related items. At least some of that is shared, but more Kobe jerseys are sold than Timofey Movgov jerseys.

In any event, each team grosses a certain amount of revenue each year. Those numbers are easy enough to establish. It's the expenses that cause problems. Players' salaries and benefits are simple enough to calculate. What is left over?

If we take the what is left over after players' salaries and benefits are deducted and call that a "gross margin," there is probably a significant difference in the gross margins for the individual teams with the big market teams having the most left over.

But what about other expenses that are to be deducted from gross margin to produce a net? If a billionaire owner pays more for his team than is reasonable as a business proposition because he has a lot of money and wants this toy, should he be able to expense his debt service for the purchase price and then claim he is losing money because he paid too much for the team?

The billionaire owners even if they have the money to buy in their back pockets, would prefer to use what they have to earn additional money. Believing they can do better than the interest they would pay on loans, they borrow to buy the teams.

How efficiently do they run the teams? How many family members are on the payroll? Who uses the team's plane or planes in the off season? What is the cost for using the stadiums? Some teams probably have better deals with the host cities than others. Some teams might even own the facilities. If so, what expense is attributed to the team's use of the facdilities?

The "gross margin" -- gross revenue minus players' 'salaries and benefits -- in my opinion is the most significant number. The other expenses make or break a team and those other expenses may be the result of gross mismanagement or simply putting friends and family on the till. The owner of the corner convenience market who feeds his family and friends from the store shelves and or pays them unwarranted salaries, will "net" less than an owner who charges everyone and hires without nepotism. But both stores, others things being equal, will have the same gross margin, in this case, gross revenue less cost of goods sold.

My guess is that all the teams have an adequate gross margin. If some teams do not, then the teams are not being supported by the fans and should consider another market. It is my belief, though I do not have the numbers to back it up, that the players are the ones actually getting short-changed. This is generally the way capitalism works.

Quality post, Oldtimer, as usual. But you are making a lot of assumptions. Yes, the old owners that bought in low are doing fine. The owners in the larger markets are doing fine. The new owners that bought in high and owners in small markets (without contending teams) are losing money. Badly. That equates to about 60% of the teams losing money. Something has got to give, eventually, where they either have to reduce the number of teams or lower the cost of operation. In any case, I am sure not going to be shedding any tears for these guys. Either side.

iSaYughh

Starter
Great thread, 8s.

I gotta agree with LJ, as well as not to expect an actual lockout. Which would be DEVESTATING to our championship window, and liklihood of a title this decase.

Sadly, while we have leverage in this three pronged tango with owners/players... ours will remain latent, and gimp.

It's the classic problem of a true collective actually doing in reasonable unison something which is understood as good and beneficial, to one as an individual(s).

The invariable decrease in NBA popularity if a lockout did get down would be undeniable, at least. So our side down have an inherent weapon in this war, even if if won't do/can't do shit in this given battle.