Randolph at Center?

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
Not impressed with Randolph at all. Everytime he got the ball he seemed to force the issue, just seemed entirely focused on getting his shot up. It felt like watching a more athletic Al Harrington...I know it's just one game, but not a good first impression for me...

Kiyaman

Legend
PF-Turiaf is our best experience player to start at center alongside of PF-Amare.
The two could switch F/C position and still have a bigbody in the paint.
This is the reason why Wilson Chandler should start at SF to add extra
coverage in the paint.
:beer:
Project Mozgov is to inexperience as a PF or center in the NBA, his
playingtime is spot-minutes off the bench during his rookie season vs
oponents bigmen bench players.
Randolph is not skilled enough to be a PF or center in the NBA with the
poor IQ he showed at picking & screening for PG-Douglas in the Milan game.
His halfcourt movement was more like a SG/SF coming out for the ball.
Plus Randolph passing skills are to poor after grabbing a defensive-rebound.
He has a bad habit of wanting to dribble the ball after he rebounds,
which is a no-no for a NBA center.
:gony:

Paul1355

All Star
PF-Turiaf is our best experience player to start at center alongside of PF-Amare.
The two could switch F/C position and still have a bigbody in the paint.
This is the reason why Wilson Chandler should start at SF to add extra
coverage in the paint.
:beer:
Project Mozgov is to inexperience as a PF or center in the NBA, his
playingtime is spot-minutes off the bench during his rookie season vs
oponents bigmen bench players.
Randolph is not skilled enough to be a PF or center in the NBA with the
poor IQ he showed at picking & screening for PG-Douglas in the Milan game.
His halfcourt movement was more like a SG/SF coming out for the ball.
Plus Randolph passing skills are to poor after grabbing a defensive-rebound.
He has a bad habit of wanting to dribble the ball after he rebounds,
which is a no-no for a NBA center.
:gony:
Truiaf should play a max of 30 min since he will be dead tired every night

Paul1355

All Star
Yeah, after watching the game today, Randolph seems out of control most of the time.

But when they're running, he's unstoppable. I still think he can be our starting Center eventually, but he needs work.

Start the Moz!!
agreed a duo of Amare, Mozgov brings size, athleticism and a dangerous pick and roll team...teams won't know which is going for it...then kick out to Gallo when they read it...

I am impressed with The Governor...but i still see him getting in major foul trouble and 3 in the key calls this year

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Randolph as a legit center is eons away. I heard him compared to Camby on here once.

Camby was born a center.

Randolph was born with a centers height and a SF's, even a SG's game. But he can't shoot.

Intriguing player, sink or swim.

iSaYughh

Starter
Ya, AR is so unique in his skillset, that its almost a deterrent. He isn't a born 5 like Camby. He isn't a born "anything", that is well spelled out and laid out for him, and how he should be used.

Gives him the higher reward, but the liklier bust if he isn't smart enough to adapt (and coaches aren't wise enough to know how to use him and coach him up).

I think Coach D will make it relatively simple. He'll come off the bench when he really wants to run the floor and cause unparalleled havoc with AR doing that from the 4, and especially 5. Or, when he feels there is a particularly juicy rotation matchup he can use him in. Simple.

Along the way he will likely give AR shots at proving himself on a greater, more consistent level, while he coaches him up and hope AR has the nba-iq to adapt.

The tricky situation could be when AR is showing some growth, and you want to just let loose his leash a good deal for a while, but we are in a serious playoff hunt and the games have more immediate consequences. And you don't want to risk, or see, AR having a wildman's "N8" like game, even for one game.

The Gov starting at center no competition then Turiaf coming off the bench with about 20-25mins and Randolph the third string center when we go small.

nyk_nyk

All Star
The Gov starting at center no competition then Turiaf coming off the bench with about 20-25mins and Randolph the third string center when we go small.

I think if we went small I'd have Amare at center and AR at PF. Reason being Amare has more experience at the center position.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Moz seems way more in tune w what we want on the offensive end than AR. Defensively there were some mistakes but he'll learn. I think Moz will play important minutes this year. I really like a front line of amare, gallo & him. That's a smart, tall, athletic frontline right there. Turiaf will start on opening night, but don't be surprised if the 7'1" 250 lb kid starts to see more time and eventually cracks the starting 5. I think Donnie brought the Gov in to play more minutes sooner rather than later.

i don't think that's a good idea. randolph could be a really amazing player if he's just given the chance to learn the game more. give gallo and stat 30 mins a night and give him the rest of those minutes.

timo on the other hand look like an amazing surprise. lets hope he can keep that up cause he's relativity young himself.

it will be interesting to see how both develop.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
It's interesting that so many of you guys were comparing AR foolishly to Gallo 2 months ago, saying he's going to be the second coming and top ten player. Now he looks the half-assed player I said he was and we're comparing him to Moz because of it.

To me right now, Moz seems more ready to play big minutes at the 5 for a myriad of reasons:

1. Moz is a true center. AR is not.

2. AR looks like a taller version of Nate Robinson. He can score and he's athletic, but he's dumb as a brick.

3. Moz seems to play the pick and roll better, already.

4. AR has no awareness of where teammates are and seems hell-bent on scoring for himself for some reason. Possibly he knows he's trait bait.

5. Moz is a rare 7 footer who can run the floor, is agile and also fundamentally sound.

6. Moz was sought after and brought here, similar to Gallo. AR was a throw-in along w 2 other players in the trade here involving D Lee.

7. Coach doesn't think highly of dumb players who make mistakes that kill the team.

8. Coach already called Moz the team's best all-around athlete, a slap in the face to AR and one of his best assets if you ask me.

9. This a make or break year and AR doesn't seem to get that. He has time for it to sink in though I don't think it will.

10-- and this f-up some of your heads but... Moz may already be the better player.

I don't like Randolph, no secret there. I didn't even mention his shooting, which is horrible. There are more sensible reasons but why belabor the point. I'm like most coaches in that I believe in supporting smart players w a good feel for the game. AR, to me has neither of these traits. Our guys need to play together to win. I want players to get minutes that have the desire and are capable of playing within the team concept. If AR doesn't start to get it I won't mind it if he never comes off the bench.

Last edited:
1. you're right.
2. a taller version of nate robinson is a dumber lebron james. ar's bball iq isn't as high as someone like gallo because gallo's been playing professionally since he was a kid; AR on the other hand had one year of college. the kid needs to play to understand the game more. simple as that. practice is not enough.

3.he should be. in europe they ingrain the kids with the fundamentals.

4. you're exaggerating.

5. true.

6. lol. yeah. no. a throw in? he's one of basketball's best prospects. if don nelson was dumb enough to want lee, that's on him.

7. coach played al harrington plenty. what does that say about that?

8. just stop.

9. i get it, you're a tool.

10. maybe.

i really don't understand how some of you cats who are as divisive of the roster as you are, can consider yourselves knick fans.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
_______√ictory_______;137651 said:
1. you're right.
2. a taller version of nate robinson is a dumber lebron james. ar's bball iq isn't as high as someone like gallo because gallo's been playing professionally since he was a kid; AR on the other hand had one year of college. the kid needs to play to understand the game more. simple as that. practice is not enough.

3.he should be. in europe they ingrain the kids with the fundamentals.

4. you're exaggerating.

5. true.

6. lol. yeah. no. a throw in? he's one of basketball's best prospects. if don nelson was dumb enough to want lee, that's on him.

7. coach played al harrington plenty. what does that say about that?

8. just stop.

9. i get it, you're a tool.

10. maybe.

i really don't understand how some of you cats who are as divisive of the roster as you are, can consider yourselves knick fans.

You're clearly an AR fan-boy and I'm sry to have offended you, but in my opinion the man is a bum. That's why we're questioning whether he should get more minutes than Russian born player who's hasn't even stepped on an NBA court yet. You're handle may be Victory, but you certainly must not claim it very often w those feeble counters to my points. You're a half-ass type dude. I see why you like AR.

Simply put, young players w low iq stick to the bench. The game is 75% mental. You could have all the physical talent in the world but if you don't know what to do w it worth a damn NBA teams have a place for you -- the bench, worse yet the d_league. Don't get it it twisted I'm not ready to say AR's a d_leaguer just yet, but we all know he's no starter at center and he might night even be a viable option too long off the bench w Moz waiting in the wings. It's easy to see, for me anyway.

Last edited:

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
The team is in need of a rebounder in the starting 5 and its simply not Randolph. Randolph will never have a bigger position other than sixth man because he plays for himself trying to look good. Its better he comes off the bench because he can simply score, and could play a lot of positions to give players rest.

The two players that are really competing with each other is Mozgov and Turiaf. Mozgov need to show his aggressiveness in rebounding the ball, if he can show he is capable the job is his. Turiaf has better awareness and can rebound, this is why he might win the center position.

AR fanboy? no. i'm a knick fan boy. you on the other hand go out of your way to be a troll on a forum. what the **** does that make you? it makes you a pathetic dickhead. i'm excited about this entire team. the more successful each guy is, the better it is for the team. you don't seem to grasp that concept.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Meanwhile I haven't called you one name. It's ok I understand you need to resort to that because you've been outgunned in this argument. Who's trolling??

Not that I really feel like continuing a discussion w you as the intellectual level has dropped on you side of it, but I think you're conflating being critical of a player that isn't doing what he's supposed to do w being down on the team. There's a difference. It's like those people who say if your critical of various facets of govn't you being unpatriotic, which is stupid and simplistic. If AR didn't play like a d_leaguer i wouldn't he ripping him. In fact, I'm ripping him in the spirit of what's best for the team. If he played right I wouldn't even be having this debate w you -- no really it's like i'm debating myself at this point.

Hope I explained that clearly for ya. Let it marinate..

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Damn you sound bitchy. Calm down dude. I didn't try to bait anybody. I made a lucid 10 point argument; you couldn't handle it, gave a half-asked rebuttal, got mad and started calling names. Infact you still can't handle it as it's quite obvious you're frustrated. Oh and there's nothing dumb about comparing players. The coaches do it all day. Whose on the floor and for how long can be the difference between winning and losing. It's fun for fans. Well some fans.

And i'm no troll. I was perfectly content to have a civilized debate w whoever wanted to discuss Moz v AR but then you started calling names and I felt like I had to flip the script. That's all. Oh and wasn't it the point of the thread to debate who should be getting minutes at the center position. Obviously we'd have to compare players on the team. That was the point of the thread if i'm correct? You should make sure you understand that the thread is all about before you go haphazardly responding to someone who actually knows what fack he's talking about.

Last edited: