Ron Artest

sealy23

Rookie
Thanks man appreciate it. I can't wait for game 3 tomorrow night. Though the refs are going to crack the whip because of the media frenzy about the tough play, when in reality the I guarantee the players don't think its that big of a deal.

I really hope the refs don't take the Rockets outta the series bc of NBA's profit margin for a Clev vs. LA matchup. My brother-in-law insists that the playoffs have been fixed the past few years and I always tell him to shut his mouth bc I still enjoy it.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I don't doubt that there's a clause on Artest put in by David Stern. Only a maybe, but once bitten twice shy kinda thing.

JayJ44

Starter
Thanks man appreciate it. I can't wait for game 3 tomorrow night. Though the refs are going to crack the whip because of the media frenzy about the tough play, when in reality the I guarantee the players don't think its that big of a deal.

I really hope the refs don't take the Rockets outta the series bc of NBA's profit margin for a Clev vs. LA matchup. My brother-in-law insists that the playoffs have been fixed the past few years and I always tell him to shut his mouth bc I still enjoy it.
Yeah, Kobe himself said he didn't think Artest should have gotten ejected. That's playoff basketball, the refs will probably let them play.

dave2138

Rotation player
I dunno, I think a lot of people would act similarly in that situation. Think about it, you get shoved across the court by Ben Wallace. Instead of retaliating, you lie on the scorers table and try to calm down. Then, a bunch of fatass fans throw some shit at you. I'm not saying what he did was right, but the fans should be held accountable too. Also, Stephen Jackson did just as much damage as Artest did, but Artest is still blamed for it entirely.

No one would have acted that way, not even yourself. I don't know you and can say that. A normal person doesn't risk ending his career to retaliate against a fan who threw a beer at him. Ron Artest is not normal and probably will never be. You can say he matured since then or whatever...I don't think he has. He was what 26, 27 when it happened..he should have been matured then. There is no reason to believe that hes not the same player that he was then.

People said the same thing that Milton Bradley has matured, but then again just last year he was about to beat up 2 old Kansas City Royal announcers before being held back by the team's general manager.

You don't want a player like him in NY. I don't think he could handle the pressure here.

Ben Wallace was wrong too, but its not like he was the first person ever to initiate an on the court brawl..that stuff happens regularly in sports.. The point is its on the court. No athletes besides Artest and probably Mike Tyson would be crazy enough to take that out into the crowd.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Normal or not Ron Artest defines NYC basketball. Tough, aggressive, hard nosed, get down to business attitude.

Was Oakley normal? Was Sprewell normal when we acquired him? Was Starks normal?

These were all guys ousted by the NBA and media but when it comes down to it - it's all about their play on the court.

**** the bullshit politics.

Ron is from Queensbridge - I know he's dying to come to the Knicks. Isiah & Steph had to ax the Knicks public image so bad that it's pretty much a glimmer of hope that they'd ever roll the dice again on a guy like Artest.

But he is what the Knicks need. He's actually what the NBA needs - too much soft pansy ball being played. Ron Artest is a fighter.

dave2138

Rotation player
you have a point that it should be more about their play than their attitude.

I guess Sprewell is a good comparison..what did he do choke his coach? if I remember correctly. Probably at the time I would have debated not to acquire him, but it worked out that they did go for it.

You are right though that the knicks public image has been destroyed over the years, that they wouldn't add to it by getting a guy with the worst reputation in the NBA even if it is smart basketball wise.

I disagree that he is what the NBA needs. I think the NBA would be fine without him. Even if Pacman Jones became a superstar, the nfl would be just fine without him.

"Soft, Pansy ball" probably brings more people to the games than "Ron Artest, ill slit your throat if you touch me ball".

I think he is in a class by himself where ref's will be more easy to give him a tech foul or just throw him out of the game the second he starts a tantrum just to prevent anything bigger happening with him.

LeFlume

All Star
Normal or not Ron Artest defines NYC basketball. Tough, aggressive, hard nosed, get down to business attitude.

But he is what the Knicks need. He's actually what the NBA needs - too much soft pansy ball being played. Ron Artest is a fighter.

I totally agree, Bully basketball, Ron Artest is all business on court and, every team in the NBA would be a better team with him on the floor.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Ron Artest is just so much more than that. He also has a solid outside range. This guy can spread the floor and still provide that inside presence.

And anyone who knows Artest on a personal level knows that his reputation is not that of his true character. Artest knows that there's no undoing what's done so he uses that to his advantage to instill fear in his opponents.

Pretty smart if you ask me.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kobe is a genius for the way he handled that though. I think if he responds to Artest its either a double technical or both get thrown out. No way you can afford to that in the playoffs. The lead was only like 10 at the time..without Kobe the Rockets still have a shot.

Artest hasn't matured..he'll still put his pride over team success. I agree with others that say he is a superstar talent, only problem is he needs a babysitter and/or a leash.

Reading all your Artest threads prove u r a Artest Hater.

Did u watch the Piston/Pacers game before the Brawl? or are u just a News Paper believer that luv to read HATE articles?
Ron Artest single handedly beat da shuuut out of the Championship Pistons in that game before the Brawl.
Ron Artest deserved that season suspension the same way he deserve that Bullshuuuut ejection the other night.
Stern and Stu Jackson only justification for Ron Artest season suspension was that Artest went into the stands.

Right or wrong....I will not be responsible for my own act (reflex) if someone threw a cup of beer in my face or my wife or my kids.

Ron Artest was the best player on the Indiana Pacers and acepted a MLE contract from Bum Donnie Walsh whom never stepped-up to defend Artest after the Brawl.

Haters have to HATE!!!!!

sealy23

Rookie
2 games in row. ridiculous

Ron Artest just unjustly got a flagrant 2 for a call that probably isn't even a flagrant just because he is Ron Artest. I will say the refs had a good game otherwise

Even Kobe thinks its not a flagrant. Why is the NBA trying to phase out tough basketball. No one wants to watch 48 min of free throw shooting you pussies

dave2138

Rotation player
yeah, I agree that was just a hard foul to prevent Gasol from getting an easy layup. He hit his head, but he hit the ball first.

Ok, I admit I am a Ron Artest hater...He is shit as a person who happens to be an amazing basketball player.

Yes, I watched that entire pistons-pacers game, and agree 100% that he should have been suspended for at minimum the whole year. He got lucky..they were nice enough not to ban him for life.

"Stern and Stu Jackson only justification for Ron Artest season suspension was that Artest went into the stands. "

yeah..because thats not a big deal...

Right or wrong....I will not be responsible for my own act (reflex) if someone threw a cup of beer in my face or my wife or my kids.

Nah I'd like to think you are a sane person. If you are I think you would prefer to take your $9 million, get a towel, wipe your face and move on with life.

Anyway, we kind of beat this topic to death. I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you guys since I think I am alone on this Ron Artest debate. I understand you guys have respect for him as a basketball player. I agree he is easily a top 10 player in the NBA right now and you can tell how bad he wants to win this series. I just don't understand how you guys can defend his off the court issues claiming you would act the same as him in the same situation. Thats some role model you have.

This statement by scribbles pretty much sums up the idea of the knicks going after Artest.

I know he's dying to come to the Knicks. Isiah & Steph had to ax the Knicks public image so bad that it's pretty much a glimmer of hope that they'd ever roll the dice again on a guy like Artest.

sealy23

Rookie
yeah, I agree that was just a hard foul to prevent Gasol from getting an easy layup. He hit his head, but he hit the ball first.

Ok, I admit I am a Ron Artest hater...He is shit as a person who happens to be an amazing basketball player.

Yes, I watched that entire pistons-pacers game, and agree 100% that he should have been suspended for at minimum the whole year. He got lucky..they were nice enough not to ban him for life.

"Stern and Stu Jackson only justification for Ron Artest season suspension was that Artest went into the stands. "

yeah..because thats not a big deal...

Nah I'd like to think you are a sane person. If you are I think you would prefer to take your $9 million, get a towel, wipe your face and move on with life.

Anyway, we kind of beat this topic to death. I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you guys since I think I am alone on this Ron Artest debate. I understand you guys have respect for him as a basketball player. I agree he is easily a top 10 player in the NBA right now and you can tell how bad he wants to win this series. I just don't understand how you guys can defend his off the court issues claiming you would act the same as him in the same situation. Thats some role model you have.

This statement by scribbles pretty much sums up the idea of the knicks going after Artest.

I know he's dying to come to the Knicks. Isiah & Steph had to ax the Knicks public image so bad that it's pretty much a glimmer of hope that they'd ever roll the dice again on a guy like Artest.

Yeah it hasn't been very hard to tell you are an Artest Hater.

I think when someone said they understood him him going into the stands, they weren't necessarily saying it was the right thing to do (which is the point I think your missing), but rather that when your 23,24,25 your still may not be fully matured (especially when your a coddled athlete) and in a hostile environment like that you make bad decisions.

Have you ever been in a fight during pickup ball? It can escalate pretty quickly and all the sudden your like shit I'm in a fight. I'm not an aggressive person, but in the heat of the moment mistakes happen. His was a major one.

I don't think anyone condones him going into the stands. He is a professional athlete and he should've known better The point was being made that the brawl falls solely on him, which in my eyes in complete bullshit.

He's definitely a little out there, but thats why I like him and he does plenty more good than bad off the court, but doesn't get the press like others for doing so.

So Yes I respectfully disagree with your opinion of Ron Artest

The Knicks are definitely not getting him and its too bad because I personally feel he would be great for them.

dave2138

Rotation player
Alright I get what you're saying.. good post. Thanks for the respectful answer.

I'll still be an "Artest Hater" I guess..because I don't think I can ever respect a guy who can so easily break a common sense rule like that. Not being mature at 25 years old is not a good excuse for me. He'll always be in that Pacman Jones, Mike Tyson, Milton Bradley, Ambirouix Burgos class to me.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Oh snap, I totally forgot Donnie Walsh is our GM. LOL Yea this trade/signing is never EVER going to happen under his watch.

By the way, Ron is a model citizen. Don't believe the media frenzy. He is one of the most beloved, modest individuals in his community and he has always lent more than 2 hands to help his fellow peers and the community at large. He is a great guy and as humble of a person as you'll meet.

You never know who'll or when you'll snap though.

The thing about the DET/IND game was...What I don't understand is okay...at the Palace - Ron takes a backseat lays down on the scores table. It takes over 3 ****in minutes to TRY and put everybody back. Ben Wallace continues to intimidate Ron. Throwing towels, making gestures. The refs, assistants, players - they're all just standing around doing NOTHING. Ron Artest was the only guy who did the right thing. He backed off. Eventually as all this time is being wasted - the fans are gonna get into it.

Did he deserve the season suspension - Yes, absolutely. Stephen Jackson should've been as well and anyone/everyone else brawling with fans.

But let's not make him out to be the devil.

It was just a freak situation.

Once in a lifetime though, wow. That was one for the ages. I actually still get chills from watching it. I remember watching it - just shocked. At first I was like ya - fight Ben vs. Ron!!! But when it poured into the fans and fans poured onto the court and Ron and everyone just punching them - I was like WTF is going on??! Surreal...

Kiyaman

Legend
2 games in row. ridiculous

Ron Artest just unjustly got a flagrant 2 for a call that probably isn't even a flagrant just because he is Ron Artest. I will say the refs had a good game otherwise

Even Kobe thinks its not a flagrant. Why is the NBA trying to phase out tough basketball. No one wants to watch 48 min of free throw shooting you pussies

The NBA is becomming softer than tissue paper....each season since the original Detroit Bad-Boys (Bless Great Coach Daly) the NBA refferees been making the league into sissy B-Ball for actors only.
It's bad when u see more physical contact in High School B-Ball than in the NBA.
It is not hard to see why alot of Euro-players are able to perform in the NBA in the last decade (Stern turned the NBA into soft Euro-Basketball league)....when in the 1980's and early 90's a player had to be physically strong to survive one season in the NBA.
The universal money inwhich Yao and Dirk bring into the NBA has reached into a billion dollars already however in the 1980's NBA Yao and Dirk would not have survive their first two seasons in the NBA without catching career injuries ask Big Bad Sampson and mean-green Sam Bowie whom took Houston to the Finals in their first two seasons in the NBA (and people wondered why Sam Bowie was selected before Jordan and Barkley in the draft).

The Original NBA Dream Team proved the above in the Olympics by beating every country by 30 to 50 points....6.9 PG-Magic, 6.6 SG-Jordan, 6.9 SF-Bird, 6.11 PF-Mchale, 7.0 C-Robinson, and our bench players of Stocton, Pippin, Barkley, Karl Malone, had the fastest and perfect "Run n Gun" game u will ever see in Basketball, at times I thought they were better than our Super-Starters.

dave2138

Rotation player
Nah, I disagree..I just think basketball has got so much more popular over the years and the talent in Europe is more noticable now than it was 10-20 years ago.

Also it was Bowie and Olajuwon picked over Jordan, not Bowie and Barkley.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The NBA is becomming softer than tissue paper....each season since the original Detroit Bad-Boys (Bless Great Coach Daly) the NBA refferees been making the league into sissy B-Ball for actors only.
It's bad when u see more physical contact in High School B-Ball than in the NBA.
It is not hard to see why alot of Euro-players are able to perform in the NBA in the last decade (Stern turned the NBA into soft Euro-Basketball league)....when in the 1980's and early 90's a player had to be physically strong to survive one season in the NBA.
The universal money inwhich Yao and Dirk bring into the NBA has reached into a billion dollars already however in the 1980's NBA Yao and Dirk would not have survive their first two seasons in the NBA without catching career injuries ask Big Bad Sampson and mean-green Sam Bowie whom took Houston to the Finals in their first two seasons in the NBA (and people wondered why Sam Bowie was selected before Jordan and Barkley in the draft).

The Original NBA Dream Team proved the above in the Olympics by beating every country by 30 to 50 points....6.9 PG-Magic, 6.6 SG-Jordan, 6.9 SF-Bird, 6.11 PF-Mchale, 7.0 C-Robinson, and our bench players of Stocton, Pippin, Barkley, Karl Malone, had the fastest and perfect "Run n Gun" game u will ever see in Basketball, at times I thought they were better than our Super-Starters.
Kevin McHale?

Kiyaman

Legend
Alright I get what you're saying.. good post. Thanks for the respectful answer.

I'll still be an "Artest Hater" I guess..because I don't think I can ever respect a guy who can so easily break a common sense rule like that. Not being mature at 25 years old is not a good excuse for me. He'll always be in that Pacman Jones, Mike Tyson, Milton Bradley, Ambirouix Burgos class to me.

Dave....u know u aw'ight wid me it's just that I was one of those High School Ballers that switched schools from the Bronx to Queens (Moms & Pops moved us out of the Projects into a House) and the N.Y. Media tore me up my first season in Queens for switching schools as if every loss (only 5) was all my fault (I was only 15 years old at the time). My Junior year was worst than my sophmore year on the varsity I was so busy trying to please the media my grades dropped and the media tore me a new but hole.

I give big props to any N.Y. B-Ball player that made it to the proffesional level by getting pass the big N.Y. mass media sports writers exageration to get their story or articles publish (they dont give a shuuut about how their exageration affect the person they are writing about).

Personally, I met Ron Artest on many occasions (St. Johns, Rukers Park, St. Albans park, draft night, a month after the Chicago trade to Indiana, and a couple of times hanging outside of the Studio) and Artest is nothing like the media put him out to be.

When Artest kicked that monitor over in MSG b/c Ward, Houston, Spree, and Kurt Thomas, won a game inwhich Artest hard hustle performance had the Pacers winning until crunchtime.....after that kicking over of the monitor game the Indiana Pacers became a new improve team with a different system and winning game-plan. But who got all the credit for the winning change? coach Isiah and player Jermain O'Neal.

clumsy

Rotation player
People need to stop reading into the media that he is a cancer...easily angered, and doesn't take shit from anybody are better words to use.

I agree it is ludicrous to run up in the stands but i understand that is human nature. It is even more ludicrous for that fan to be such an asshole to throw beer at him. I think it is incredibly snobby to judge someone in a difficult situation like that. I've seen bar fights happen over less.

And if you have ever played sports competitively then you would know every team needs a player like Artest...someone who brings that intensity. I'm pretty Damn sure that Artest Dogged his team for not working hard enough all the time. He has a track record of taking under talented teams farther than they are supposed to go. The Rockets are not the class of west, and indiana wasn't either... I don't count his stop at Sacremento....you cannot win when your whole team is role players. The knicks need someone like him.