Rotation once Davis is healthy

Paul1355

All Star
Now that Baron Davis is a Knick.....http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...-davis-new-york-knicks-agree-deal-sources-say

......we can assume that Fields will start OR that Shumpert will impress so much that he takes Fields' spot.

Fields is better off the bench, just like Toney Douglas which is why I want to see if other posters think Shumpert wil start eventually over Fields.

Last year, the first bad streak for Fields had him benched one game during the regular season, he came off the bench and scored 16 points and played very well after many bad games in a row.

So we can safely say that Fields is the perfect 7th man role if Shumpert was starting. Shumpert has more energy, and can do better with offense and defense. Fields is just better with rebounding and might have a better basketball IQ.

Potential starting lineup:

Davis
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Chandler

Bench

Sixthman - Douglas

Roleplayers-
Fields
Bibby
Harrelson

Bench players
Jeffries
Balkman
Walker

Reserves-
Jerome Jordan(Mike D called him a "project")
Chris Hunter
Devin Green

This might be the rotation eventually once Davis is healthy and baring no trades.

We can also assume that guys like Douglas and Walker might be traded since Douglas would be the odd man out at PG and he is too small for SG. If Douglas is traded then Fields can be our new sixth man.
Walker has upside but with Fields and Shumpert on the team, I don't see Walker getting the minutes he deserves.

Is this team able to win a championship? I think so. What does everyone think of the lineup?

Any disagreements?

finestrg

Rotation player
I could see Davis being able to jumpstart Fields' game again.. Toney can't help Fields get going out there. Davis should be able to. Look for that to be a big plus. It'd be great having landry playing at top performance again.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I might put Fields in the starting line-up because now that Davis is with the Knicks, Fields' off the ball play could be used with Baron's passing. Shumpert has the handles to not need the passes.

Shumpert might be better as the starting 2 depending on the starters'/Fields' defense. Chandler needs defensive help so doesn't have to get hit/hit as much. We need Chandler to stay healthy!

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Who starts

I think there is too much emphasis on who starts in the back court.

This is probably more a question of chemistry (and match ups) than talent anyway.

Regardless, both Davis and Bibby will probably be most effective limited to around 15-20 minutes per game, except when the team is short-handed, or against certain match ups (or when the offense gets bogged down, especially against zones).

Everyone is hoping that Shumpert's role keeps growing. His potential is the most exciting thing about the team right now, other than the big3 front court.

TakMan

Rotation player
Now that Baron Davis is a Knick.....http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...-davis-new-york-knicks-agree-deal-sources-say

......we can assume that Fields will start OR that Shumpert will impress so much that he takes Fields' spot.

Fields is better off the bench, just like Toney Douglas which is why I want to see if other posters think Shumpert wil start eventually over Fields.

Last year, the first bad streak for Fields had him benched one game during the regular season, he came off the bench and scored 16 points and played very well after many bad games in a row.

So we can safely say that Fields is the perfect 7th man role if Shumpert was starting. Shumpert has more energy, and can do better with offense and defense. Fields is just better with rebounding and might have a better basketball IQ.

Davis
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Chandler

Bench

Sixthman - Douglas

Roleplayers-
Fields
Bibby
Harrelson

Bench players
Jeffries
Balkman
Walker

Reserves-
Chris Hunter
Devin Green

This might be the rotation eventually once Davis is healthy and baring no trades.

We can also assume that guys like Douglas and Walker might be traded since Douglas would be the odd man out at PG and he is too small for SG. If Douglas is traded then Fields can be our new sixth man.
Walker has upside but with Fields and Shumpert on the team, I don't see Walker getting the minutes he deserves.

Is this team able to win a championship? I think so. What does everyone think of the lineup?

Any disagreements?

The starting 5 is spot on. The coach shouldn't make the error of starting Fields over Shumpert. I think Douglas and Bibby will fight it out over 6th man. Not convinced Douglas should be deployed as a PG though. Either way someone's about to be dealt a blow to their minutes. This will either come at the PG position with Davis, Bibby, and Douglas in contention, or at the SG position with Shumpert, Douglas, and Fields. I'm guessing Fields is about to fizzle out. He's decent defensively and average at best on offense.

The way it makes sense to me is:

Davis/Bibby
Shumpert/Douglas
Anthony/Balkman
Stoudamire/Jeffries
Chandler/Harrelson

Fields to be deployed as a utility player when 2nd string of guards don't perform.

DrB

Benchwarmer

Davis
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Chandler

Bench

Sixthman - Douglas

Roleplayers-
Fields
Bibby
Harrelson

Bench players
Jeffries
Balkman
Walker

Reserves-
Chris Hunter
Devin Green

Any disagreements?
Well you could start Landry as SHUMPERT is a HAVILCHEK type 6th man..he has all the tools. I agree Landry must start hitting his shot ..needs 12 -15 points/game to start. The best thing I have seen so far is Shumpert because he is this good at 21. Look at the Knicks ages compared to Boston. Yesterday I posted Boston was still the team to beat in the EAST...with a healthy Baron Davis in 8-10 weeks its possible the knicks just leveled the playing field. Knicks vs. Boston then becomes a toss up. the real advantage to the old Boston legs is not a shortened season as we have all these "back to backs" in the schedule which could run Garnett and Pierce down.

nyk_nyk

All Star
The way it makes sense to me is:

Davis/Bibby
Shumpert/Douglas
Anthony/Balkman
Stoudamire/Jeffries
Chandler/Harrelson

Fields to be deployed as a utility player when 2nd string of guards don't perform.

Nah, Fields over TD. You always go with size.

Wargames

Starter
Well you could start Landry as SHUMPERT is a HAVILCHEK type 6th man..he has all the tools. I agree Landry must start hitting his shot ..needs 12 -15 points/game to start. The best thing I have seen so far is Shumpert because he is this good at 21. Look at the Knicks ages compared to Boston. Yesterday I posted Boston was still the team to beat in the EAST...with a healthy Baron Davis in 8-10 weeks its possible the knicks just leveled the playing field. Knicks vs. Boston then becomes a toss up. the real advantage to the old Boston legs is not a shortened season as we have all these "back to backs" in the schedule which could run Garnett and Pierce down.

I really think guys are over crediting Boston's team now. They are worse now than before. Only Bass was an improvement and having seen a more in shape Baby I'm not even sure about that anymore. Also this short schedule will treat them badly considering the age of their starters.

Anyhow I've discussed before why baron would be a smart move. However to break it down the knicks now have a good rotation of guards to play against opposing teams depending on the need. If its against a fast guard TD can defend him. If its a strong PG Iman can defend him. Combined they can disrupt elite PG's from penetrating. Bibby will be good against Zone defenses while BD can be the starter PG who can orchestrate the Offense and get the other players scoring easily (New York will become Lob City East). Fields while not fast would also see time playing against bigger SG's and SG/SF tweeners who use their height to their advantage.

So basically the Guards are good.

Forwards are obviously the Knicks stars but I think Balkman may see time along jefferies and Jorts in subbing.

Centers well the knicks have chandler and between Jordan, jorts, and Jefferies enough bodies to foul, bump, push, and rebound through any game that tyson might be in foul trouble in.

6th man should be shared by TD and Shumpert. TD when the Knicks want scoring and Shumpert when the Knicks want stops. As crazy as this might sound guys the knicks may have a top 5 team when it comes down to personnel packages. Personnel Packages is what wins in the playoffs, just ask the Mavs. The only teams that can give different looks like the Knicks now are the Bulls, Thunder, Grizzlies, and oddly enough the Timberwolves (who after I watched them play I really think are gonna make it to the playoffs).

skisloper

Starter
He got a 4 year deal....at 4 million per....so he said
YES TO 16 MILLION
not to 2.5 million...

smart man.

Iman at POINT !

Paul1355

All Star
He got a 4 year deal....at 4 million per....so he said
YES TO 16 MILLION
not to 2.5 million...

smart man.

Iman at POINT !
actually it was 4 years for 19 million which is 4.75 mil per year....

Still think that being with a contender and most likely a starter in a big market would have been better than a back up to a rookie in Minnesota, regardless of the money.

Kiyaman

Legend
At the end of February or the beginning of March is when a healthy Davis
should be ready to play. I really doubt the Knicks would break-up the starting
lineup of TD or Bibby in March for Baron Davis.

TD & Landry would be perfect depth players coming off the bench to add
defense/scoring/rebounds/and steals off the bench. I was looking foward
to Chauncey Billups developing TD & Fields team-passing-skills this season.

As Starters the two young defensive-guards (TD/Fields) needed to work-out
with Stat/Melo this past summer to see what the two Super-Stars will be
bringing to the table on offensive-end. 1 week of training-camp is not enough playingtime.

TD & Landry were used to Amare coming down the middle on offense lastseason,
in the Nets games Tyson Chandler kept coming down the middle on offense
with Amare & Melo on the wings.
In Sundays scrimmage game in the Garden, Amare came down the middle on
several offensive plays to pass to Melo or dunk for a roaring MSG crowd,
while Tyson Chandler were showing how to screen up top.
:thumbsup: The Knicks are building a WINNER :thumbsup:

KnicksFan4Life

Benchwarmer

Still think that being with a contender and most likely a starter in a big market would have been better than a back up to a rookie in Minnesota, regardless of the money.

It's hard to fault him for taking the money. Dude is coming of a championship and he is cashing in. He isn't a big superstar so this maybe his only chance to make money. He is getting 19 million guaranteed compared to the Knick offers which I believe were one for 2.5M and two for 5M. That's a huge difference.

skisloper

Starter

he won a championship last year...
2.5 million vs. 19 million....
he would be a moron to not take that......this is life changing for a guy like that.....if he gets injured or his game drops off he has now guaranteed himself 19 million and security for the rest of his life..

Paul1355

All Star
he won a championship last year...
2.5 million vs. 19 million....
he would be a moron to not take that......this is life changing for a guy like that.....if he gets injured or his game drops off he has now guaranteed himself 19 million and security for the rest of his life..

knicks made an offer of 2.5 mil and then went up to 3 years and 9 million...according to reports but I don't think they had that money but reports said 3 years for 9 million.

3 mil per year
starting role
NY City
Better chance to win another ring with the Knicks than the Wolves

I still think it's a no brainer, but he went with the money and extra year.