STAT Dropped 32 Points and I am Worried!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The reason I am worried is because STAT got his points by being more athletic and stronger than the Euro players. Hardly any of his points were from the traditional PnR or a set play. It seemed like he was just determined to score and beasted the other team into a bucket...that works fine in Italy but not in the NBA. Felton and Amare really need to get on the same page and run a more structured game plan if they are to be successful. I know it was the first preseason game so I am not too worried but it is something to look out for! Anyone feel the same way?

He's more athletic and stronger than the majority of the league.

If anything, it's good to know that he's hungry.

Mike D said that there'll be times when we need to climb on his back for a win. After one game (that's one game) he showed us that he doesn't rely on picks with an MVP to get it done.

Too early for frets and or bold prognostications.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
No offense man but did you watch Amare at all in his Phoenix days? What you saw in Italy is exactly what he does in the NBA because he's that much of a freak. It DOES work fine in the NBA...for STAT.

He also doesn't need set plays to score. Iso in the high post and his first step is too quick anyone big enough to stop him. Big a smaller, quicker guy on him and he just goes over the top. Plus his mid-range jumper has become deadly.

People are blowing the pick-n-roll/Nash element way out of proportion.

cosigns
:gony:

Toons

is the Bo$$
All I am saying is that he got his points because he was the best athlete on the court by leaps and bounds and not because we were running an efficient offense.

being an athelete does not make you a good player. Hence balkman. You act like the only play that is in our playbook is the pick and roll. You fail to notice how amare got the ball deep in the post and tha tthe team knows WHEN to feed the post. We can actually call a iso down low as an option. We couldnt do that with lee. We already know tha tthe PnR works...lets expand our playbook.

8-13

i call that an efficient offense

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Damn...you can all lick my nuts! :cool: Seriously, I was just making an observation that while STAT dominated he didn't do it within an actual offensive scheme. He did it because he is a beast and more athletic. With the Sujns, sure he had similar outings but his bread and butter was the PnR and they played a fluid offensive scheme. The 1st preseason game was him getting the ball at all parts of the court and just making shit happen. Yes, the Italian team played good team defense but that has nothing to do with Amare exploiting their lack of size or athleticism.

You people need to relax...

KingCharles34

All Star
I see what trillion is sayin but i think its too soon to worry about it...

On another site some Knicks fans were going crazy about how Chandler played, sayin hes gonna be real nice this year...I tried to remind them that it was against white guys that dont have the athleticism to contest his shot and that hes a C level player.

What im more worried about with Amare, if anything, was his turnovers but obviously as far as the pick n roll goes, its gonna take time for Felton and Amare to develop chemistry. I wouldnt expect them to have great chemistry in the first preseason game even if it is against a team that consists of white guys.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Damn...you can all lick my nuts! :cool: Seriously, I was just making an observation that while STAT dominated he didn't do it within an actual offensive scheme. He did it because he is a beast and more athletic. With the Sujns, sure he had similar outings but his bread and butter was the PnR and they played a fluid offensive scheme. The 1st preseason game was him getting the ball at all parts of the court and just making shit happen. Yes, the Italian team played good team defense but that has nothing to do with Amare exploiting their lack of size or athleticism.

You people need to relax...

Agreed +1. Now you are seeing the point I was making all along TRILL. I was in bigtime football mode Sunday, but caught the second quarter of the game and forgot to hit record to get the rest. But what I saw was alarming. The Knicks had 12 turnovers with 2 minutes left in the first half. Totally unacceptable esp. playing against inferior talent and athleticism. I saw a total lack of defense and rebounding as well. Jumpers were being shot in the teeth of Knicks defenders and the misses weren't rebounded either. The Italians ran half court sets and didn't let us get out and run. Even though its only preseason, be ready people because thats how the Eastern Conference teams will play us. Slow down the game and pound us from inside out. Looks like we still don't have a real PG, though Douglas looked alright. Big game by STAT, but that what he's supposed to do against d-league talent. You are right it will be much different against the frontlines of the Heat, Celtics, Magic...... Back to sipping CHIEFS kool-aid .... only undefeated team in the NFL (at least until Sunday) rebuilding can happen (keep hope alive)

Agreed +1. Now you are seeing the point I was making all along TRILL. I was in bigtime football mode Sunday, but caught the second quarter of the game and forgot to hit record to get the rest. But what I saw was alarming. The Knicks had 12 turnovers with 2 minutes left in the first half. Totally unacceptable esp. playing against inferior talent and athleticism. I saw a total lack of defense and rebounding as well. Jumpers were being shot in the teeth of Knicks defenders and the misses weren't rebounded either. The Italians ran half court sets and didn't let us get out and run. Even though its only preseason, be ready people because thats how the Eastern Conference teams will play us. Slow down the game and pound us from inside out. Looks like we still don't have a real PG, though Douglas looked alright. Big game by STAT, but that what he's supposed to do against d-league talent. You are right it will be much different against the frontlines of the Heat, Celtics, Magic...... Back to sipping CHIEFS kool-aid .... only undefeated team in the NFL (at least until Sunday) rebuilding can happen (keep hope alive)

It was the first preseason game, and the first time alot of these dudes played together + the fact that the team they played wasn't to shabby defensively.. TO numbers where bound to be high. Relax sons!

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
Like I said, I am not too worried as it was the first preseason. That said, the game was not about a single player "getting better" by dominating outside of our offensive plans. Amare as an individual is already a beast and gained nothing by showing off against a lesser opponent. Preseason and practice is about our entire team gelling and implementing a cohesive offensive scheme. The Knicks as whole would have benefited more from running set plays, the PnR and working as a team. Just my opinion.

Your title begs to differ.

elcol

Rotation player
you clearly contradicted yourself man, but its too early too make calls like this. its good that amare is making his own shot and its good that felton was getting a bunch of assists, i dont see too much to worry about except the knicks didn't handle the ball well(turnovers like fumbles and losing the ball but mostly bad passes).

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
you clearly contradicted yourself man, but its too early too make calls like this. its good that amare is making his own shot and its good that felton was getting a bunch of assists, i dont see too much to worry about except the knicks didn't handle the ball well(turnovers like fumbles and losing the ball but mostly bad passes).

From my first post:

The reason I am worried is because STAT got his points by being more athletic and stronger than the Euro players. Hardly any of his points were from the traditional PnR or a set play. It seemed like he was just determined to score and beasted the other team into a bucket...that works fine in Italy but not in the NBA. Felton and Amare really need to get on the same page and run a more structured game plan if they are to be successful. I know it was the first preseason game so I am not too worried but it is something to look out for! Anyone feel the same way?

So yea, no contradiction. I am worried from what I saw but not TOO worried. If you think our offense looked good including 28 turnovers and it doesn't worry you at all that is fine. Again, my whole point is that MAre dropped 32 but did not do it within a team offense...it was for the most part ISO play that will be much harder to achieve in the NBA.

jimkcchief88

All Star
It was the first preseason game, and the first time alot of these dudes played together + the fact that the team they played wasn't to shabby defensively.. TO numbers where bound to be high. Relax sons!

That excuse would fly if the Knicks were playing another NBA team, but a Euroleague team???? C'MON MAN!!!!!! I don't care if its preseason or not. If you need 30/28 from your star plus end game heroics to beat a sqaud of guys who individually don't have d-league talent, what are you going to do against legit NBA talent???

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Trills I like most of your posts, but I have to admit this is a totally unnecessary thread. I watched the Milan game twice and I gathered by the look of Felton and Stat's chemistry that things will be fine between them. I recall one play where Amare got a nice dunk off a Felton pick and roll pass. They'll be fine dude. Calm down.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
That excuse would fly if the Knicks were playing another NBA team, but a Euroleague team???? C'MON MAN!!!!!! I don't care if its preseason or not. If you need 30/28 from your star plus end game heroics to beat a sqaud of guys who individually don't have d-league talent, what are you going to do against legit NBA talent???

We'll see tomorrow. Can't wait.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Number one concern is rebounding, as it is in my opinion the biggest weakness of the Knicks since David Lee is gone.

I agree it is also a concern the pick n roll wasn't at its best or used much because that is D'antoni's strongest play in his offense. This is a team who haven't played much with each other a lot, so I'm guessing it'll be fine before the season starts, and it better.

Someone needs to step up and crash the boards on defense as well as offense, and I'm not to sure if anyone will. Mozgov could probably fill this role starting at center.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
Sorry to come off like a prick Trill, but we all should just be calm and let the natural course take flight. I mean I see progress from years ago when this team was in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Now were starting to actual create something worth noticing.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Sorry to come off like a prick Trill, but we all should just be calm and let the natural course take flight. I mean I see progress from years ago when this team was in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Now were starting to actual create something worth noticing.
Great... Did I say I wasn't calm. man people need to learn how to read. I clearly stated I am not that worried. BTW, what I was concerned about has been fixed as opur ball movement and offensive schemes look nice and crisp. Why do you have to bump irrelevant threads about one specific game weeks later?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
STAT looks lost and is turning the ball over at an alarming rate. This is exactly the reason I expressed concern in our first preseason game. I also expressed concerns before STAT was signed that he needed Nash to be effective. STAT is an elite finisher and needs to have the ball given to him in the right spots.

I am now officially worried and STATS lackluster play, turnovers, drop in point production and his seeming inability to rebound in the first 4 games is not a good sign. I hope he can settle down into a rhythm with Felton because just giving him the ball and letting him create his own shot is not going to get it done hence this thread.