The 2015 NBA Draft

Broadway

All Star
Mudiay is the point guard to go with IMO. I trust Larry Brown when it comes to his assessments of point guards.

Russell might have better court vision and passing at this point, but not by much only because of smaller body of work. Mudiay is the better athlete, ball handler, bigger body, finisher, quicker, changes direction seamlessly .

I also noticed something very interesting about Russell. He doesn't go right because he's a natural lefty. Quick shot release but if you watch Mudiay he goes both ways.

mafra

Legend
Food for thought: Chad Ford mentions that PHI is high on Emmanual Mudiay (best PG in this draft... by far). He says Dengelo Russell more a SG.

I wonder... if NYK gets the first or second pick... And Philly has the 3rd or 4th pick... COULD/WOULD NYK trade with PHI?

NYK draft Mudiay...swap that with PHI for Okafor/Towns/Russell plus another 1st rounder (PHI has 2). NYK still gets "their" stud plus a Kaminsky or Tyus Jones or Grant or Cauley-Stein.

I think PHI has their front court (Noel/Embid). They dealt MCW. P-Jax, if he's smart and pretends he wants Mudiay..will bluff PHI into giving us an extra pick.

mafra

Legend
Mudiay can't shoot tho. 50% from FT in China. No threat from downtown. Russell a real shooter. No way Phil looks at Mudiay as a triangle PG. I prefer paying B-Knight.

tiger0330

Legend
Food for thought: Chad Ford mentions that PHI is high on Emmanual Mudiay (best PG in this draft... by far). He says Dengelo Russell more a SG.

I wonder... if NYK gets the first or second pick... And Philly has the 3rd or 4th pick... COULD/WOULD NYK trade with PHI?

NYK draft Mudiay...swap that with PHI for Okafor/Towns/Russell plus another 1st rounder (PHI has 2). NYK still gets "their" stud plus a Kaminsky or Tyus Jones or Grant or Cauley-Stein.

I think PHI has their front court (Noel/Embid). They dealt MCW. P-Jax, if he's smart and pretends he wants Mudiay..will bluff PHI into giving us an extra pick.
That would be a good trade for the top pick to get the 76ers top pick and one of their later first round picks. The 76ers might do it if they can get the Lakers lotto pick which would give them 2 of the top 8 picks.

Broadway

All Star
Mudiay can't shoot tho. 50% from FT in China. No threat from downtown. Russell a real shooter. No way Phil looks at Mudiay as a triangle PG. I prefer paying B-Knight.

The free throw thing is really nothing and yes he can shoot from deep. Of course Philly is high on Mudiay, everyone is high on Mudiay. You draft him if you go point guard. If not and we go big then good idea going after Knight but we will have to go after him hardcore.

Kid has almost all the tools

tiger0330

Legend
Last game playing in China against Marbury's team 3-1-2015. Will Bynum and Yi Jilian are on his team.

I wonder if playing in China is going to hurt his draft prospects? Playing in the D-League or the Euroleague might have been a better showcase for him.

Broadway

All Star
I wonder if playing in China is going to hurt his draft prospects? Playing in the D-League or the Euroleague might have been a better showcase for him.

I think both would have limited his earnings most certainly short term. Euroleague isn't as flexible letting guys out of contracts as China is. The kid can now declare after banking north of $1.2mil and come into the league making $5-6mil/yr.

Kiyaman

Legend
If we don't get Jahil I want this man at PG for the next 10 + years

If the Knicks or 76ers select Okafor with the first pick, they both would have to trade Okafor the same day, both teams are in desperate need of Mudiay or Russell

Phil adding Russell or Mudiay to the Knicks, plus signing FA Rondo or R.Jackson would give the Knicks above .500 season, having Galloway as the 3rd guard.

Kiyaman

Legend
NEW YORK (AP) ? The NBA has fined the New York Knicks for Phil Jackson's comments about Ohio State freshman D'Angelo Russell.

Jackson watched the Buckeyes' 81-57 victory over Nebraska last Thursday and afterward told Cleveland.com that Russell was a "great-looking kid" and a "great prospect."
NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed the fine Tuesday night but did not disclose the amount.
Team personnel are prohibited from publicly discussing players who aren't yet eligible for the NBA draft.
The Knicks have the NBA's worst record at 12-47 following their 124-86 loss to Sacramento on Tuesday, putting them in position to land the top pick.
Jackson, the Knicks' president of basketball operations, had been fined $25,000 last year for mentioning Derek Fisher as a coaching candidate while he was still playing for Oklahoma City. Fisher was eventually hired.

BIG MOUTH!!!
Our last Big Mouth loss us Stephen Curry in the draft to a GS team that had several scoring-guards on the roster.

When u really look at it Russell happen to be the best selection in the draft-class for Phil's triangle-offense ..
Phil already vision Russell as being a star SG with great combo skills to get other teammates involve in the offense.

tiger0330

Legend
I think both would have limited his earnings most certainly short term. Euroleague isn't as flexible letting guys out of contracts as China is. The kid can now declare after banking north of $1.2mil and come into the league making $5-6mil/yr.
Mike Crispino who does the Knicks radio games and is doing CBA games said the CBA competition is better than the NCAA and D-League so China was not a bad place to showcase his talents after all. He did say Mudiay had not played since Nov. because of an ankle injury so he didn't get a lot of burn over there.

tiger0330

Legend
Something from the NY Post comparing Okafor to Towns.

The Knicks have been very visible in the blue grass state. Perhaps no team watched Kentucky more in person this winter than the Knicks, who will likely select anywhere from one through five in June which would place them in a position to draft either Towns or his athletic 7-foot teammate, center Willie Cauley-Stein.

According to several sources close to the Kentucky program, the Knicks top scout Mark Warkentien has attended nearly a dozen Wildcats practices as the club prepares for the most important decision of the Jackson regime. Jackson visited Lexington last week after attending an Ohio State game to watch point guard D’Angelo Russell.

The worst season in franchise history could result in Jackson choosing between two freshman big men on the night of the draft; Towns and Duke’s Jahlil Okafor. Of the two, Okafor has been the more prolific offensive player. He has already developed a low post and mid-range game. Okafor, however, can be a liability defensively. So much so that Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski has played more zone than ever before to cover for Okafor’s inability to defend pick-and-rolls.

Towns is the more athletic player. He’s a gifted rebounder, who can run the floor and is gaining more confidence in his offensive game. His numbers are somewhat skewed because Kentucky coach John Calipari uses a “platoon system” which is a fancy way of saying he has a deep roster. However, NBA executives all agree that Towns needs to improve his lower body strength because he was easily be rooted out of the post.

“If you are looking for a guy that can help you right away, I think Okafor will have a bigger impact as a rookie,” says one NBA executive whose team is expected to have a top 12 pick. “But if you’re an owner and you’re looking for a guy that can change your franchise over the next three years, I’d say Towns.”

Towns is from central New Jersey and became a prep All-America at St. Joseph’s High School in Metuchen. Ten years ago, the Knicks had the opportunity to draft a center out of St. Joseph’s, who elected to go right from high school to the NBA. Instead, the Knicks picked Channing Frye 8th overall and two picks later Andrew Bynum was drafted to the Lakers.

At the time, Knicks president Isiah Thomas felt more comfortable drafting Frye because Frye had played four years at Arizona. Thomas was also concerned over how well Bynum would handle the pressure of being a teenager playing for the Knicks. After Golden State selected Ike Diogu 9th, Bynum fell into the Lakers’ laps and would go on to help the franchise win two titles.

Jackson’s successful history with Bynum, who isn’t nearly as athletic or as grounded as Towns, could be a factor if Jackson is faced with the opportunity of drafting Towns.

“Karl isn’t a good kid, he’s a great kid,” says Kentucky assistant coach Barry Rohrssen, a New Yorker who is affectionately known as Slice. “He will be successful in anything he does.”

Rohrssen has a long list of text messages he has received from Towns since school began that he was headed for a workout or just finished a workout.

“All hours,” Rohrssen says. “He never stops working. He’s always looking for ways to improve. You couldn’t ask for a better teammate or kid.”

Towns is the most talented player on a Kentucky team that is challenging to become the first Division I men’s basketball program to go undefeated since the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers. The Wildcats were hosting Florida on Saturday in the final home game of the season.

It is also expected to be Towns’ final game in Lexington as well. In fact, his parents, Karl Sr., and Jacqueline, made the drive from New Jersey to be in attendance. Both Kentucky and Duke likely will be No. 1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament and the committee will likely place the powerhouse programs on opposites sides of the bracket to create a potential Good vs. Evil title game.

Of course, Kentucky has been controversy free this season while there are still unanswered questions surrounding Duke’s decision to dismiss junior Rasheed Sulaimon on Jan. 29 for what Krzyzewski called “repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations” to be a part of the program. And while Calipari was criticized for embracing the concept of the “One and Done” player, Duke has had Kyrie Irving, Austin Rivers and Jabari Parker leave for the NBA after their freshman seasons. Okafor is also leaving after one year.

Calipari is just more prolific than the other programs at recruiting top players and turning them into lottery picks. Last month, three of Calipari’s Kentucky one-and-dones played in the NBA All-Star Game: John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis. Wake Forest also had three players: Tim Duncan, Chris Paul and Jeff Teague.

The 6-foot-11, 250-pound Towns is projected to be a top three pick while Cauley-Stein, who has drawn favorable comparisons to Joakim Noah, could be taken anywhere from four to seven. In last week’s 72-64 victory over Georgia, Cauley-Stein was held to four points and the Wildcats needed Towns to rescue them in the closing minutes. Towns finished with a game-high 19 points on 8-for-12 shooting including five straight points after teammate Aaron Harrison’s jumper tied it at 62.

“We had to do some stuff to get Karl the ball in the post, and Karl did well,” Calipari said. “I’ve got enough confidence in him to go to him to shoot free throws. That’s how much I think of him. We know he has the courage and has the skill and ability. That’s what we did: We went to him late.”

Calipari will only have Towns for one year at Kentucky but he’s been coaching him since Town made the Dominican national team at 16. His mother is of Dominican descent. Calipari coached the Dominican team and had Towns practicing with the likes of Al Horford and Charlie Villanueva, players he’ll be seeing sooner than later in the NBA.

“I’m not even thinking about that right now,” Towns says politely. “I’m just trying to enjoy this season and I’m trying to get better every day. That’s all I can do.”

Broadway

All Star
"Essentially we could do either or on draft day".

I'll add this slight tweak. We can't trade "out of the first round" in "consecutive future" drafts, although we could say do trade swaps on 1st rnd picks in consecutive drafts

I was slightly wrong here from ESPN New York's Page

Jackson hopes to rebuild the team this summer with a top pick in the 2015 draft and plenty of money to spend in free agency.

To that end, Jackson has been scouting some of the top college prospects in person recently. He attended an Ohio State game to watch D'Angelo Russell earlier this month and later went to Kentucky to see the Wildcats' top prospects.

But those counting on seeing Kentucky's Karl-Anthony Towns or Duke's Jahlil Okafor in a Knicks jersey next season might want to temper expectations.

In an interview on ESPN New York's "The Robin Lundberg Show," ESPN NBA reporter Brian Windhorst said the Knicks are at the very least considering their options when it comes to trading their first-round pick.

Specifically, Windhorst said the Knicks are looking into "opportunities" to see "what they could possibly get if they trade their draft pick."

Of course, it's wise for Phil Jackson and the Knicks to at least gauge the market for the pick.

The trade market for their selection won't really materialize until New York finds out where it picks. That will happen in late May after the NBA's draft lottery.

Then, New York will have a clearer idea of what it can get back in a trade of the pick.

"Due to NBA rules, the Knicks can't trade the pick prior to making a selection, but they can agree to select a player for a team and then trade the player after making the pick."

So, in theory, the Knicks can acquire an impactful player by trading their draft pick. They can then use their cap space, which is expected to be at least $25 million, to sign a premier free agent.

The reason why they'd want to trade trade pick is slightly contrary to my reason for doing so

This scenario would give them two established players to play alongside a soon-to-be 31-year-old Carmelo Anthony.

"This option might be more palatable than wasting another season or two of Anthony's prime waiting for a 19-year-old prospect to develop into a star."

Obviously, there are plenty of reasons for the Knicks to hold onto the pick.

For one, the Knicks will have the player they drafted under contract for four seasons at below-market value. The franchise would also have the option to extend the player's contract and possibly match offers other teams make to the player when he is a restricted free agent.

So there are compelling reasons to trade the pick and compelling reasons to hold onto it. Jackson will have an interesting decision to make between now and late June.

So we're thinking about possibly trading the pick because we want more cap space not because we're thinking of trying to acquire more talent in this draft and-or future draft? If true this tells me 2 things I was suspicious of. The talk that our situation is so favorably unique over other teams. Some have been talking as if having a high draft pick and cap space is such a huge advantage, but in thinking of trading the pick what it really means we may not think the talent between prospects is significant enough.

This means if we were to keep the pick and make the selection another team is going to acquire potentially as great a prospect if not better rendering no clear advantage to us having a draft pick. It means if we were to trade the pick(outright and fall out of this draft) Phil's comments brought up by TIG about cap space and not extremely being enamored with it is probably true. Which begs to question why didn't Phil trade Calderon and a future 1st to move his salary at the deadline, instead of implying we'd like to possibly move this yrs pick?

Then we have the recent news we've scouted 20-30 Kentucky practices this yr, Mark Warkentein doing pretty much all the dirty work. League executives feel the leak of this news is shaky by comment made by one unnamed NBA scout from Adam Zongoria Knicks media coverage..."

"Do you think after 20 practices there are things they have seen that no other team has"?

So having around $27-28mil of cap space isn't maybe what it's totally cracked up to be. But just think if it was closer to $35mil? Having another $7-10mil in cap space is probably worth around a high first round draft pick. This summer is gonna be so interesting for Phil, he has 1 shot to get this right.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
That tool Brian Windhurt is reporting Phi and Knicks re shopping e #1 pick.

Ian Bagley mentions it over at espn/ny.

That tool Brian Windhurt is reporting Phi and Knicks re shopping e #1 pick.

Ian Bagley mentions it over at espn/ny.

Doesn't look like a real story to me. Not only does it come from an unreliable source (Windhurst), but it hedges like crazy saying that the Knicks are at least open to trading the pick. Yeah, if someone calls PJ and says we'll give you a young star player right now for that pick, sure, who wouldn't at least entertain that offer? PJ wants that lottery pick though. I don't buy that PJ will be aggressive to get someone to play alongside Melo before it's too late if it costs that pick without any further player acquisition occurring first. I think we draft who we draft and then work the free agent market this offseason, possibly looking at a major blockbuster trade using whoever we drafted if we somehow have already signed a major free agent piece.

tiger0330

Legend
Like I said PJ has boxed himself in signing Melo to his deal, he at least has to look at trading the pick because of Melo's window to win with the Knicks. I also think you have to factor in PJ's ego and expectations in rebuilding the Knicks, I think most thought we would be in the playoffs this year and be in the NBA finals in year 5 of the PJ era.

With this horrible season you can expect PJ to accelerate the rebuilding process and what better way than to trade the number 1 to get a proven player rather than risk that the guy they draft turns into a Bennett, Derrick Williams or Thabeet.

Broadway

All Star
Like I said PJ has boxed himself in signing Melo to his deal, he at least has to look at trading the pick because of Melo's window to win with the Knicks. I also think you have to factor in PJ's ego and expectations in rebuilding the Knicks, I think most thought we would be in the playoffs this year and be in the NBA finals in year 5 of the PJ era.

With this horrible season you can expect PJ to accelerate the rebuilding process and what better way than to trade the number 1 to get a proven player rather than risk that the guy they draft turns into a Bennett, Derrick Williams or Thabeet.

He could only trade the pick for a player under contract and not impending free agents so who are those player(s) he would trade for with this pick? Better yet what team gives up their promising young prospect for the pick? The only scenario or example that could fit the parameters here is what Philly did with New Orleans...

Trading Jrue Holiday and future pick for the current lottery pick. Precedent has already been set. The conundrum here what current NBA climate fits this example where Phil could pull off such a trade this summer and once again would we want him to and would a team oblige.

Really the only realistic circumstance justifying Phil giving up the pick is to trade with say the Lakers. #1 pick for picks #4 and #27 otherwise what you touched on here and I in previous post exposes the potential sensitive nature here.

Now the better scenario is to have Mudiay workout and blow most teams at top of draft away with us having the #1 pick and Philly #2(I believe they want Mudiay badly). Trade down to 2 with them and ask them for their 16th pick but this is almost pipe dreaming because I don't think there will be great separation from the Top 5 picks in this draft. I see a reason to like about 5 different prospects almost equally for different reasons.

tiger0330

Legend
There are some restricted FA's that the Knicks would be very interested in, whose clubs might not want to pay max dollars to, like Butler and Draymon Green despite what their clubs say about being willing to pay them max dollars. They might be interested in the number 1 pick rather than lose them for nothing.

It will be an interesting off-season, first the lotto in May, the draft and then spending that cap space.

mafra

Legend
There are some restricted FA's that the Knicks would be very interested in, whose clubs might not want to pay max dollars to, like Butler and Draymon Green despite what their clubs say about being willing to pay them max dollars. They might be interested in the number 1 pick rather than lose them for nothing.

It will be an interesting off-season, first the lotto in May, the draft and then spending that cap space.

I think you go Towns over Okafor... better outside shot and shot-blocker. Now, the plan is obvious: Carmelo Anthony, Cleanthony Early, Karl-Anthony Towns.

Overpay for 2/3 (Knight, Butler, Green).