The IBA? A London Franchise coming soon says Drexler

Starks

Starter
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6083358

Rady, I'd love to get your thoughts on this. Please school us on the demand, feasability, and odds of this happening.

I for one have talked about my idea to have a Carribean NBA team a few times and wondered about a European team. I know Stern's biggest personal achievment is making basketball a global game. I love this idea.

KBlack25

Starter

Rady, I'd love to get your thoughts on this. Please school us on the demand, feasability, and odds of this happening.

I for one have talked about my idea to have a Carribean NBA team a few times and wondered about a European team. I know Stern's biggest personal achievment is making basketball a global game. I love this idea.

Not happening

Trans-atlantic trips for every NBA team (including 11 hour flights for west coast teams) and frequent trans-atlantic trips for the English team? Not happening until they make air travel faster.

Toons

is the Bo$$
id love to see a caribbean bball team, that all we do here. basketball courts are everywhere.

I think Stern has something like an 'NBA Europe' in mind. Similar to the NFL Europe.
The idea in general is good, the question is: How well would people in Europe respond to that?
Soccer is by far the most popular sport over here. Speaking of London, they have about 10 or so professional soccer teams, including powerhouses Arsenal and Chelsea. I don't know if people would respond well to an NBA franchise in terms of buying tickets or merchandising products.

The same goes for Italy or Germany. It's mostly 'alternative fans' here that attend BBall games and most of them support a soccer team aswell.

I think NBA basketball in Europe wouldn't work. Summer games - yes please! But a regular franchise...they would suffer like the Grizzlies in Vancouver or probably worse.

Attracting players would be another problem. I can't see Melo or STAT or Wade living in London or Berlin while they're active players. It's a pretty big cultural difference.

The NBA belongs to America and that's a good thing! Great country and great sport. I as a European enjoy both, soccer and NBA basketball, but I would have no interest in a European franchise. When I decide to attend sport events in person it's soccer 99% of the time.

I got NBA league pass and watch my Knicks whenever I have 2 hours of time, but I couldn't arrange my free time around soccer AND basketball at the same time, would be impossible.

That's why league pass is a good thing, I haven't missed a Knicks game all season, because I watch them whenever time allows me and not when they are scheduled (which doesn't work anyway because of the time zones), but anyway soccer is played on the weekends AND in midweek, so watching or attending both is impossible.

I think the London franchise would have about 500-1000 spectators on a Champions League evening when Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham play. Europeans will always prefer soccer it's a cultural thing, like U.S. Americans knowing and watching football.

I don't even know the rules of football :cool:

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
No way they're gunna have 8-10 hour flights to play a game. This isn't happening unless people learn to teleport

tiger0330

Legend
I think Stern has something like an 'NBA Europe' in mind. Similar to the NFL Europe.
The idea in general is good, the question is: How well would people in Europe respond to that?
Soccer is by far the most popular sport over here. Speaking of London, they have about 10 or so professional soccer teams, including powerhouses Arsenal and Chelsea. I don't know if people would respond well to an NBA franchise in terms of buying tickets or merchandising products.

The same goes for Italy or Germany. It's mostly 'alternative fans' here that attend BBall games and most of them support a soccer team aswell.

I think NBA basketball in Europe wouldn't work. Summer games - yes please! But a regular franchise...they would suffer like the Grizzlies in Vancouver or probably worse.

Attracting players would be another problem. I can't see Melo or STAT or Wade living in London or Berlin while they're active players. It's a pretty big cultural difference.

The NBA belongs to America and that's a good thing! Great country and great sport. I as a European enjoy both, soccer and NBA basketball, but I would have no interest in a European franchise. When I decide to attend sport events in person it's soccer 99% of the time.

I got NBA league pass and watch my Knicks whenever I have 2 hours of time, but I couldn't arrange my free time around soccer AND basketball at the same time, would be impossible.

That's why league pass is a good thing, I haven't missed a Knicks game all season, because I watch them whenever time allows me and not when they are scheduled (which doesn't work anyway because of the time zones), but anyway soccer is played on the weekends AND in midweek, so watching or attending both is impossible.

I think the London franchise would have about 500-1000 spectators on a Champions League evening when Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham play. Europeans will always prefer soccer it's a cultural thing, like U.S. Americans knowing and watching football.

I don't even know the rules of football :cool:
From someone who is knowledgable I was on the Euroleague website and they don't have a team in London. How come? I think that says something about the prospect of NBA basketball coming to England if the Euroleague can't/won't put a team there.

I remember talking to a guy from England that was an NBA fan and he told me it was a lonely life being a bball fan in England, there just weren't that many people that followed the game.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I remember talking to a guy from England that was an NBA fan and he told me it was a lonely life being a bball fan in England, there just weren't that many people that followed the game.

Which is precisely why this is being put through. That's a pretty massive market. I've been to England more than a dozen times and it's soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer. The players are pussies, the fans are nutters, and they'll never ever defer from soccer to hoops.

rady

Administrator
Staff member

Sprewell-Houston pretty much sums it up. As much as i'd love to see the Knicks playing in Europe again i just don't know how an European based team would play back-to-back games with the Lakers, or any other west coast team. I'd also wonder how would they solve the money problem, it's pretty tough here to get funds for anything besides football and an nba franchise would probably need a huge budget if they'd also want to get a solid roster that can compete.

A few years ago there were other rumors involving real madrid or barcelona getting into nba, what happened to that?