The Knicks now have one less option in 2012

LJ4ptplay

Starter
How do you know it's impossible? Can you see the future? We are still well off Salary Cap wise and no-one knows what the new cap is going to hold. Either way our Knicks are still doing good cap wise even after signing Melo and Amare. The Cap is not going to change that much...Heck, it might even go up as Mr. Stern loves all these Super Teams. Don't think that Williams won't be in a NY uniform... I'm still betting he will be. Just wait and see.

Amare + Melo = $41 mil

Lebron + Wade + Bosh = $43 mil

Do the math.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Amare + Melo = $41 mil

Lebron + Wade + Bosh = $43 mil

Do the math.

Remember that max contracts are more than likely to go down. (maybe a max deal is $14 mil a year in new CBA) Then there are talks of being able to restructure deals and grandfather in players. I mean how can you penalize a team and put them at a lower cap when they have legacy contracts 15%-30% more then the new max? There is also talk about being able to make a players contract exempt...maybe a waiver on Amare and Melos contract that only allows the new max contract amount to count against the cap. Further we can do a S&T so the Hornets or whoever wont lose their stud for free. That will allow us to go over the cap. Then add MLE and we can def build a contender. I am almost confident that the MLE will still be available as so many teams are capped out and depend on that to improve. The NBA isnt going to hamstring teams from improving especially when so many big markets are at or close to the cap.

Nothing is written in stone so relax.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
He's an asshole but that's gonna work to our advantage when he flips the Nets off and comes over to NY for a 10 mil/year contract to win a championship with STAT n MELO

Seriously, who the hell do the Nets think they're kidding? They dumped a promising player on a rookie contract for a year and a half rental of a PG who has absolutely no intention of sticking around.

That's a move you make if you're the Dallas Mavericks and are that close to contending for a championship, not if you're a ****ing LOTTERY team...

skisloper

Starter
He's an asshole but that's gonna work to our advantage when he flips the Nets off and comes over to NY for a 10 mil/year contract to win a championship with STAT n MELO

Seriously, who the hell do the Nets think they're kidding? They dumped a promising player on a rookie contract for a year and a half rental of a PG who has absolutely no intention of sticking around.

That's a move you make if you're the Dallas Mavericks and are that close to contending for a championship, not if you're a ****ing LOTTERY team...

Money is all relative.
A guy like Williams will not take 6-7 million a less to play for a with Amare and Melo. People will not make 35 million less to play for a championship...

Best thing Donnie can do is TODAY exercise Walsh's contract and let Donnie have the next year and a half to make the salary work to get Paul.

KingofNy

Starter
Remember that max contracts are more than likely to go down. (maybe a max deal is $14 mil a year in new CBA) Then there are talks of being able to restructure deals and grandfather in players. I mean how can you penalize a team and put them at a lower cap when they have legacy contracts 15%-30% more then the new max? There is also talk about being able to make a players contract exempt...maybe a waiver on Amare and Melos contract that only allows the new max contract amount to count against the cap. Further we can do a S&T so the Hornets or whoever wont lose their stud for free. That will allow us to go over the cap. Then add MLE and we can def build a contender. I am almost confident that the MLE will still be available as so many teams are capped out and depend on that to improve. The NBA isnt going to hamstring teams from improving especially when so many big markets are at or close to the cap.

Yea...What Trillion said. :thumbsup:

KingofNy

Starter
Even if the cap didn't change, it would be tricky...and not without pitfalls,

MIA Big 3 effectiveness if in...good part...due to the MIA Big 3 taking salary cuts. Not to mention Haslem taking a huge discount off the bat, not to mention Miller.

All indications are the cap will be more punishing. Look, if we can we can, tremendous. But it seems to have not much plausibility at this pt, to where we shouldn't talk about aqcuiring CP3 like it's a legit option right now.

Plus, no assets to ever trade for him; so, there's that pitfall too.

Scoring big in this draft (for a PG addition), and adding a quality big body this offseason (Davis and Jordan are the guys I would truly target and spend any of our precious cap on). Plus finding a legit 6th man threat, whether it is Mayo, or someone we currently have (Walker? Douglas? Williams?)

This is the most viable route. And barring the vagaries of luck and player development, could make us a true contender. IMHO, we need to swing for the fence in Jordan.

MIA, and the other Dynasty teams of the NBA, are that good.

I understand your points but based on your logic we won't be able to afford another max contract. As Donnie said yesterday, currently we're right about where the rest of the league is now cap wise and any changes to the current CBA will affect each team in the league equally. Stern is not going to allow the best teams in the league to be screwed out of these super teams...It's not happening. These super teams = money and this league is all about money. The new CBA has a good chance of working in our favor. Wait and see.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

If max contracts go down, it's because the cap will go down too. A max contract has always been a percentage of the cap. It's a relative scale, so it seems like a pointless possibility to bring up, to me. No matter what the cap will be, no matter what the scaled down max contracts will be, we still have two players taking up almost 70% of our cap space. There is no other way around that unless the cap goes up approx $8-10 mil, or in the new CBA, Amare and Melo are able to restructre their deals and agree to take less money. Both seem very unlikely.

In a sign-and-trade scenario, we need to have pieces/assets to trade to NO. Or else why would they sign-and-trade with us? We have no assets. Unless we draft really well this year or we sign a D-League/minimum contract player that suddenly develops into a very good player, like Shawne Williams. Our next available draft pick to trade is in 2016. We can't trade player exceptions because we would need to have the cap space to match the player coming in. So the sign-and-trade scenario looks very unlikely as well.

The MLE scenario. This is the one I am worried about the most. I already knew well before the trade that by trading for Melo, getting a 3rd max became virtually impossible. The MLE will make or break our franchise. Everything I've read about the new CBA suggets the MLE will be gone. IF this happens, we are f*cked. We will be like the Atlanta Hawks. A good team, perenial playoff team, but not enough to be contenders.

I am sorry for being such a downer. I will shut up about it until the CBA is resolved. Everyone wants to celebrate Melo and who am I to stop people from enjoying the moment. I was like this last year. Everyone came up with scenario after scenario of two max-stars and other pieces. Oldtimer and I kept saying we didn't have the cap space unless Jeffries was traded. Nobody wanted to listen. I hope I am wrong this time. I really do. But I will not bury my head in the sand and call everything great. I am in a "wait and see" position. I will not say we are on our way to being contenders until the CBA is resolved or we get the required pieces to make us contenders.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Everyone needs to get it out of their head that we can get CP3 (or any max for that matter) in 2012. It is financially impossible. And we traded away all our assets. Move on.

You need to stop telling everyone what is financial impossible when NO ONE has an idea what the future holds for the league and the CBA.

STAT1

Starter
btw: What did Williams smoke? I mean honestly, he leaves the Jazz for the Nets? And what about the talking last weak that he wants to join the Knicks?

I don't understand him.

I don't think he was angling to be traded to NJ, was he? As far as I know this is just a pre-emptive move by the Jazz to spare their fanbase from an entire season of drama like the Nuggets fans had to deal with. They got back a nice package of talent & picks for a player who was probably going to force his way out of there next year. The Nets don't even know if Deron will sign an extension with them next year, or do they? Would be hilarious if Deron left the Nets to come to the Knicks.