The most realistic outcome of 2010 FA Market

Kiyaman

Legend
I've stated this in several threads but either many of you don't read posts or you're choosing to ignore reality. We can't afford 2 max-players. We can't afford a max player plus Lee and Nate...and forget about signing Harrington and Duhon. There's simply not enough space.

Best case (remember this is best case) cap projections have us with $28 mil in cap space. $17 mil to a max player leaves us with $11 mil remaining to try and sign Lee, Nate, Harrington and Duhon. It can't be done. And let me remind all of you, after this season is over we will have a roster of 6 players (Curry, Jeffries, Hill, Douglas, Gallo and Chandler) and only $28 mil to try and fill the 13 player minimum roster. Any money spent in addition to our cap space (e.g. MLE) eats into 2011's cap space and therefore eliminates our chances at getting a max player in 2011 (Jeffries' contract + Curry's contract = 1 max player contract).

Unless of course Curry and Jeffries are traded by this year's trade deadline (Feb. 2010). Then we will have plenty. But that is a long shot. I really don't see any team giving up a very valuable expiring contract for Jeffries or Curry. No matter how much we showcase Jeffries. Nowadays expiring contracts are worth much more than what Jeffries and Curry can bring to any team.

So, where does that leave the Knicks? Essentially we need to build the team in 2010. I think we can sign a max player and sign Lee or Harrington for around $8 mil (leaves us with $3 mil in cap space).

Then, believe it or not, Curry's and Jeffries contracts will be very valuable come next offseason because they are very large expiring contracts. We must look for teams with players that have large/long-term contracts and are looking to free up cap space. For example, Kirk Hinrich in Chicago, Kevin Martin in Sacramento, Monta Ellis in Golden State.

So, Curry + 2012 draft pick to Sac for Kevin Martin. Then Jeffries + Chandler to Chicago for Kirk Hinrich.

PG-Hinrich
SG-Martin
SF-Gallo
PF-Harrington
C-Bosh

Give the $3 mil in the remaining cap space to a solid bench player (preferably a low-post banger). Give Nate the MLE and we have Hill, Douglas, Nate + 1 other player off the bench. Not a bad squad. Could be very competitive in the east.

1) No team is going to be dum enough to let their All-Star player walk for nothing in return. This is a bussiness....All-Star players are fan-favorites which fills the seats in their team arenas making them an asset.

2) There will be no next-time or next year (2011 Star FA) if Walsh dont sign two decent FA in the 2010 offseason, plus resign 4 of our expiring contracts to have a decent 12 man roster to make the playoff.

3) I would have never guess u of all hard core Knick fans actually fell for Donnie Walsh "Con-Job" of signing a Super-Star FA (and Lebron James at that LOL).
Its one thing of having a plan to lower the salary cap b/c their will be some decent "solid-players" in the 2010 FA market. But to promise Fans a Super-Star FA is a pure con job.

richtree

Rotation player
2010 has 3 options

1. get lebron or wade and whoever else we can afford.

2. get Amare and add some guys like rip hamilton or rudy gay / and try to keep lee and nate with a vet MLE>

3. make a trade for a solid guy using our 2011 first rounder and take a big contract on. this may allow us to sign a boozer (who needs to put numbers up to prove he still has anything left). I think with the contracts and free agents for 2010 there will be more trades this year then most ...like monta ellis type trade deal.

I believe the Knicks will have one of these 4 players on their roster next season -- Wade, James, Amare,

Kiyaman

Legend
2010 has 3 options

1. get lebron or wade and whoever else we can afford.

2. get Amare and add some guys like rip hamilton or rudy gay / and try to keep lee and nate with a vet MLE>

3. make a trade for a solid guy using our 2011 first rounder and take a big contract on. this may allow us to sign a boozer (who needs to put numbers up to prove he still has anything left). I think with the contracts and free agents for 2010 there will be more trades this year then most ...like monta ellis type trade deal.

I believe the Knicks will have one of these 4 players on their roster next season -- Wade, James, Amare,

See how many bright Knick-Fans Donnie Walsh sold the Brooklyn Bridge too....pure con-job.
No offense to u Richtree.....but would u trade your All-Star player if he refuse to resign? or would u let him walk to the next team and get nothing in return.

Players like Amare, Boozer, Kenny Martin, and Redd whom been becoming headaches on their team maybe traded before the trading deadline if they dont get their "team" act together.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
1) No team is going to be dum enough to let their All-Star player walk for nothing in return. This is a bussiness....All-Star players are fan-favorites which fills the seats in their team arenas making them an asset.

1.) If a player is an unrestricted free agent, the team has no say in the matter. If a team is looking to dump salary and rebuild, then an expiring contract plus young talent is enough to get him. Aren't you the one that said Chandler is a future all-star?

2) There will be no next-time or next year (2011 Star FA) if Walsh dont sign two decent FA in the 2010 offseason, plus resign 4 of our expiring contracts to have a decent 12 man roster to make the playoff.

Agreed. But that is impossible. There isn't enough cap space to sign 2 decent free agents plus resign 4 of our expiring contracts. Quite the dilemma. Hence why I suggested we use the expiring contracts of Curry and Jeffries and find a team looking to dump salary with a good player but with a large/long-term contract. Like Sacramento, Chicago or Golden State.

3) I would have never guess u of all hard core Knick fans actually fell for Donnie Walsh "Con-Job" of signing a Super-Star FA (and Lebron James at that LOL).
Its one thing of having a plan to lower the salary cap b/c their will be some decent "solid-players" in the 2010 FA market. But to promise Fans a Super-Star FA is a pure con job.

When has Donnie ever promised a super-star FA? Please find that quote for me. Everybody knows he would like to get Lebron but most of us living in reality realize it will almost impossible to do so. But there are a lot of solid free agents available next offseason. Which is still better than what we've had in the past and have now.

richtree

Rotation player
Say then, the Knicks trade for Amare by putting Lee in a sign and trade deal.

Anyone that watched last night's Cavs' game can see that the Cavs have a bad situation.

Sure, they can offer more money but that is about it.

The Cavs have zero athletes on their team.

If you take Lebron off of their team they would go 0-82 lol. (kidding but very bad).

I know they will have some cap room but they are stuck with mo williams, d.west , and varejo's contract for another year.

Also, their role players are gibson, moon, and parker aren't the greatest.

I never consider Lebron as a Knick becuase I never thought he would leave.

Now I think it is more a possiblity than ever.

Just think the Cavs are considering taking Hughes back from us, thats how bad their situation is.

I think Lebron will make more money considering the endorsements.

I think he is sick of Cleveland because of the lack of atheltes.

I think if we let Lee go and sign Amare you will have Nate (will stay in ny for less with Lebron here), WC (legit athlete/or could trade for Rip), Gallanari and shoot it and Hill will be dunking all over ....

I think If it was 10% lebron would come here its now up to 40%...

Kiyaman

Legend
1.) If a player is an unrestricted free agent, the team has no say in the matter. If a team is looking to dump salary and rebuild, then an expiring contract plus young talent is enough to get him. Aren't you the one that said Chandler is a future all-star?

If the player wants to be an unrestricted All-Star FA, would'nt u trade him for another All-Star before the trading deadline. Right now Chandler could be traded for some decent players.

Agreed. But that is impossible. There isn't enough cap space to sign 2 decent free agents plus resign 4 of our expiring contracts. Quite the dilemma. Hence why I suggested we use the expiring contracts of Curry and Jeffries and find a team looking to dump salary with a good player but with a large/long-term contract. Like Sacramento, Chicago or Golden State.

The Knick owner Dolan and his upstairs-stockbrokers are looking for the Knicks to make the playoffs in 2010-11 season.
u recall Marbury saying, "Im the best guard in the NBA" and the Knicks went on the longest losing streak in the Knicks history. The next season the Knicks hire one of Isiah's most rival coaches Larry Brown, and to the top lucrative contracts in the NBA. Isiah had no part in the hiring of Larry Brown.

When has Donnie ever promised a super-star FA? Please find that quote for me. Everybody knows he would like to get Lebron but most of us living in reality realize it will almost impossible to do so. But there are a lot of solid free agents available next offseason. Which is still better than what we've had in the past and have now.

In Donnie Walsh first speech as the Knicks President, he quoted on having a "2010 Plan, for all the Super-Star FA" his goal would be to bring Lebron James to New York.
After that speech, fans, sports writers, and sports announcer, went crazy with that article. One news paper went as far as printing "Lebron to New York". Lebron at first thought it was just a hype untill everyone kept questioning him about New York.

Kiyaman

Legend
Charles Barkley believes that Donnie Walsh's decision to essentially tank two seasons with the hopes of possibly landing LeBron James is bad management. "When you set up yourself by basically saying, 'We're going to (stink) for the next two or three years,' I don't think there is any way that can be good for your team," Barkley said. "They're not going to win because those guys know they're not going to be here next year. To expect them to give 110% is unrealistic."

It sounds like he was asked, or was at least talking about, the Knicks season outlook, not the merits of their long-term strategy. When you look at what he said without attaching anything else to it, he's 100% correct.

GetRealistic

Starter
In Donnie Walsh first speech as the Knicks President, he quoted on having a "2010 Plan, for all the Super-Star FA" his goal would be to bring Lebron James to New York.
After that speech, fans, sports writers, and sports announcer, went crazy with that article. One news paper went as far as printing "Lebron to New York". Lebron at first thought it was just a hype untill everyone kept questioning him about New York.

He never said his goal was to bring Lebron to NY... He said his goal was to have cap flexibility by the summer of 2010... And newsflash unless something changes in the next 7 months he's kept his word.

The sports writers and anybody with half a brain assumed the plan was to land lebron, wade, or Bosh but Donnie never actually said that. He couldn't say that because that would be considering tampering with a player and he'd get fined.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

No he never said that. All he said was "he wants to be a player in the free agent market in 2010". That's it. Never once did he "promise a super-star free agent" as you claim. Get your facts straight before you make ridiculous claims.

tiger0330

Legend
The MLE is for teams that are over the cap during the offseason to sign FA's. It won't be available if the Knicks are under the cap.

It will be interesting who the Knicks are able to sign, Kenny Smith says unless the Knicks are winning then FA's won't have any interest in coming here. Shaq said there is no reason for Lebron to leave Cleveland, he can get more money from Cleveland than any other team can offer him and that the digital media age doesn't mean Lebron has to be in a major market to become a global icon.