The Official "MeloDrama" Thread Feb 18th - Feb 24th

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Irrelevant, I was merely trying to provide some insight as to why he's demanding a trade.

The Knicks should offer a FAIR deal for him. We're getting swindled right now.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Melo can say he will wait until free agency to make his decision. He's said he doesn't want to go to a team that has to gut their roster to get him...PROVE IT! He's said he would be willing to take a pay cut to win a championship...PROVE IT!

This is Melo demanding he get his money. Plain and simple. He doesn't care about the Knicks. He doesn't care about winning a championship. He wants the big market to make more money and he wants his wife to live in NY for her career, so she they can make more money.

And no, we won't have enough space to sign CP3 or DWill. Amare makes $20 mil. Melo will make $21 mil. Remember, Bosh and Lebron took $14.5 mil and Wade took $14 mil. Do the math. Something's go to give. The cap holds alone preclude us from offering a max contract. If the cap stayed the same, we would have approx $8-10 mil in cap space. All indications are that the cap will shrink with the new CBA. We will be stuck with Melo, Amare and a bunch of minimum salary scrubs. I'm sorry, that is an awful team. We can build a a better team without Melo.

Denver is getting Gallo, Chandler, Felton, Mozgov, Brewer and a 1st round pick for Melo, Billups and two scrubs. Even though Melo and Billups are essentially free agents in just 28 games. Wow!!! Denver's GM deserves Executive of the Year for this!!! I don't know how, but when they were supposed to be the desperate team and we we're supposed to be the team with all the leverage and power, we end up looking desperate and getting fleeced. Unbelievable.

I already presented to you directly an article by Larry Coon why it would be a colossal blunder to gamble with the new CBA from Melo's position. There are just too many variables and unknowns for Melo to go out on a limb and declare he will wait for free agency.

Further, it was the Nets shrewd move of offering all that they did that inflated Denvers hand. Parkorov openly admits he intentionally made the Knicks inflate their offer. That cannot be blamed on Melo and cannot be credited to Denvers FO. It was a Machiavellian move by a Russian billionaire used to high level games of business intrigue.

There are S&T's, along wit many other potential salary clearing moves that can get us in a position to sign D will, Howard or CP3 so lets not pretend it's improbable or impossible for us to put together our own big 3. Further, you are overstating that we are left with a bunch of minimum scrubs. Billiups, S.Williams, Fields, Turiaf and Balkman are not scrubs.

Sure there is a possibility that the MLE will be done away with but I seriously doubt it considering how capped out most of the league is. Further, that is a problem all teams would have to contend with. Further, Amare's salary next year is 16.5 mil, not 20 mil as you suggest.

You are really inflating your home-team players worth IMO. They are all role players save Felton who in this system could be top 8 PG in the league. Watch the video, especially near the end to see an honest evaluation of our talent from Denvers prospective.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2011/02/18/tkbtv-with-andrew-feinstein/

LJ4ptplay

Starter
so maybe this is his way of making sure the Nuggets at least get a little something out of trading him.

Let's not sugarcoat what Melo is doing here. He's going to be hated in Denver no matter what he does. Lebron got more flack for "The Decision" than anything.

I seriously doubt this has any influence on Melo's decision or motivation. Denver is trying to screw Melo. There is bad blood on both sides.

And I doubt Melo would turn down a deal that fleeced Denver if he got to come to NY with the extension. There has really been nothing that Melo has done that leads me to believe that he is thinking about nothing more than getting his money. He knows the best way to win a champoinship in NY. He chose money over a championship.

Thanks Melo!. I hope you and your wife are happy with all your millions. It would have been nice to have been contenders next year. Too bad. Oh well. As long as Melo is happy.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Irrelevant, I was merely trying to provide some insight as to why he's demanding a trade.

The Knicks should offer a FAIR deal for him. We're getting swindled right now.

Yeah we are!

And that mention, like many others he's made, was just to keep pressure off his back.

He should be hooking us up. Not Denver. Those ties are in tatters...All he cares about is his cash, which he can only get by trade, or staying in DEN. Clearly he prefers the former.

Wargames

Starter
I will say it again I really don't think we're giving up Mozgov because if anything Denver trading their older overpaid PG for ours takes this deal from a rape into a fair parity deal when you add in all the other pieces. If we give up any more assets especially a true, cheap, 7 foot, non injury prone center then this goes into Isiah deal category. Thats the same reason I don't think we take Balkman either. Even at cheap he isn't worth a 3 year deal to sit on the bench.

On the flip if we do take some of those expiring contracts I say we try to get a back up PG this year before the trade deadline and then try to ride the season out.

The short term test to see if this was worth it is if we can either win the first round or if not make it competitive because at the moment we're at that level.

LakerDave

Rookie
what would Kupchak do ?

Yes, I am a laker fan - born and raised in LA. Here is some advise

Remember when Shaq called Kupchaq "Mitch Cupcake" ? Mitch stood his ground ! He didn't budge. Then he built a team his way and the Lakers have 3 more since Shaq left.

Until D'antoni, the Knicks were in the 20th year of a 5 year rebuilding program. Then D'antoni came and now they are in themiddle - ready to emerge.

This trade will set them back to Isiah days ! Kupchak would NEVER do this trade.

Follow the LAKER blue print. Only trying to help.

P.S. - what would the Yankees do ?

Remember when Shaq called Kupchaq "Mitch Cupcake" ? Mitch stood his ground ! He didn't budge. Then he built a team his way and the Lakers have 3 more since Shaq left.

Until D'antoni, the Knicks were in the 20th year of a 5 year rebuilding program. Then D'antoni came and now they are in themiddle - ready to emerge.

This trade will set them back to Isiah days ! Kupchak would NEVER do this trade.

The Yankees actually would do something like this trade the Knicks are about to do.. Do any and everything to get your star players..

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
BTW, weren't we all along trying to go after 2 max deals? Wasn't the 2010 plan something like Lebron and Bosh or Lebron and Amare? Well now, on the doorstep of 2 max guys anchoring our core, Amare and Melo some of you are worried about cap space? SMH.

Melo is def worth max money and its only a 3 year extension. Yes, the extension means 20+ mil a year but the ability to tweak our roster in 2 short years is a great thing if the Melo/STAT experiment happens to be a flop. Remember that Melos contract becomes highly desirable in it's third year due to it becoming an expiring contract. That gives us options folks.

We can always fill role player needs and yes, in spite of many assertions to the contrary every player we are giving up is a role player that is replaceable. Melo is the prize, is 26 and is a legit superstar. Pairing him with STAT gives us the best chance at a title in th upcoming years. We were not winning a title this year and we would not win a title adding some role player pieces to our current core so this is the obvious move. Melo and STAT is the best possible core attainable...period!

Wargames

Starter

I am not sure about that. I mean swapping Felton sucks because he was a co-captain who took the job of the Knicks PG when it was a risky proposition. Honestly everyone thought NY was the same joke they had been for the last decade until we finally showed we could beat some elite teams this year. We may have to see if Billups can pick up his slack, but even if that doesn't work this trade isn't a monumental failure like so many other Knick trade.

Billups is a short term deal and if he sucks who knows maybe we get lucky and this New CBA lets everyone pull an Allan Houston rule with one contract :afro:

We're not trading future picks that if the Cba changes will all become more valuable since the equal cheap talent.

If we keep Fields and Moz we still have young talent and both of them take care of needs. Whereas having Gallo or Chandler play as a 6th man this season would be a luxury.

You guys got gifted Gasol by a GM Jerry West. Maybe if Clyde was the Nuggets GM we could get a deal like you guys got for Gasol. Don't get me wrong I think we could of got a better deal but what you guys got for Gasol was damn near tampering if you think about it.

LakerDave

Rookie
The Yankees would have walked away from this deal and waited for free agency.

You can't just go out and do anything and everything to get stars with a salary cap in basketball. Melo and Amare will need at least 4-5 more players to win a ring.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
BTW, weren't we all along trying to go after 2 max deals? Wasn't the 2010 plan something like Lebron and Bosh or Lebron and Amare? Well now, on the doorstep of 2 max guys anchoring our core, Amare and Melo some of you are worried about cap space? SMH.

Melo is def worth max money and its only a 3 year extension. Yes, the extension means 20+ mil a year but the ability to tweak our roster in 2 short years is a great thing if the Melo/STAT experiment happens to be a flop. Remember that Melos contract becomes highly desirable in it's third year due to it becoming an expiring contract. That gives us options folks.

We can always fill role player needs and yes, in spite of many assertions to the contrary every player we are giving up is a role player that is replaceable. Melo is the prize, is 26 and is a legit superstar. Pairing him with STAT gives us the best chance at a title in th upcoming years. We were not winning a title this year and we would not win a title adding some role player pieces to our current core so this is the obvious move. Melo and STAT is the best possible core attainable...period!

While the plan was to get two max players, it was to have Douglas, Gallo and Chandler as the pieces to compliment the two stars signed with cap space. Then use Curry's expiring contract to get the 3rd all-star.

The plan was not to sign 1 max, then trade Chandler, Gallo and the 3rd all-star, Curry's expiring contract, plus 1st round picks, plus cap space for the 2nd max.

While you say I overvalue our players, I say you overvalue Melo. I watch almost every Nugget's game out here in CO. He's not worth what we're giving. Especially since he's a free agent in just 28 games.

I think this is actually a great deal for the Knicks.
Billups>Felton(i like Felton but Billups has way more experience)

Carmelo,Sheldon William,Balkman>Chander&Gallo(Carmelo is a top 5 player in the league and can do everything Gallo and Chandler can do and BETTER.And Balkman is a solid defender)

Barron>Moz(We were going to sign Barron anyways and Moz is not worth 3 mil per year)

jimkcchief88

All Star
482.jpg

Come on man...why the emotional hate? Melo can't control what Denver demands and he can not go out and publicly state he will only sign with the Knicks. He has to keep wiggle room in order to have a fall back plan if his first choice(Knicks, you know your favorite team) falls through. That is not being greedy, its being a smart biz man. DOn't you think if he knew he could have the Knicks rape Denver AND get to play with the Knicks he wouldn't want that? Of course he wants the Knicks to retain as much talent as possible since he is joining that squad.

Chandler is a wash as he is already looking for a 5 year 60mil deal. We cant afford it and I don't think he deserves 11mil a year. Melo is an upgrade to Gallo by a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge margin. Felton for Billups sucks long term but in the short term is practically a wash. If anything, Billiups championship experience and leadership will help this young group to excel. AR is not a rotation player so meh. This leaves Moz, I am a fan but are we really going to kill a deal over Timofey Mozgov!? Lets remeber that we get some decent role players in return including Balkman who can play defense.

This is the only way to put together two legit superstars. We can def compete and go deep if Melo and Billiups can learn the system quickly. Melo, STAT and Billiups can get us at least to the 2nd round.

Remember that we are gaining cap flexibility moving forward with Billiups coming off, Melo on a 3 year deal and trading a bunch of role players with medium length deals. We can def add to this core next year and 2012 when CP3, Howard and D WIll are available.

+++3 Agreed. Mark it down on your calenders folks because I am in 100% agreement with TRILL. Top ten players in their PRIME are rarely to be had and Melo is one of them. Remember when Bron and Melo were coming up they were 1 and 1a. Biggest thing: MELO WANTS TO BE HERE!!! THE KNICKS ARE HIS #1 CHOICE. Mr. Big Shot and Balkman coming back are great throwins for the stretch run. Get it done Donnie!!!!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
While the plan was to get two max players, it was to have Douglas, Gallo and Chandler as the pieces to compliment the two stars signed with cap space. Then use Curry's expiring contract to get the 3rd all-star.

The plan was not to sign 1 max, then trade Chandler, Gallo and the 3rd all-star, Curry's expiring contract, plus 1st round picks, plus cap space for the 2nd max.

While you say I overvalue our players, I say you overvalue Melo. I watch almost every Nugget's game out here in CO. He's not worth what we're giving. Especially since he's a free agent in just 28 games.

He is not a FA in 28 days, stop saying that. He has the option to opt out if he chooses to gamble on the CBA. That is a big if and one apparently he is unwilling to take.

Again. Chandler is a wash as he is already looking for a 5 year 60mil deal. We cant afford it and I don't think he deserves 11mil a year. Melo is an upgrade to Gallo by a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge margin. Felton for Billups sucks long term but in the short term is practically a wash. If anything, Billiups championship experience and leadership will help this young group to excel. AR is not a rotation player so meh. This leaves Moz, I am a fan but are we really going to kill a deal over Timofey Mozgov!? Lets remeber that we get some decent role players in return including Balkman who can play defense.

Billiups will be a good PG for us in the short term and can be traded next year if he is not bought out. He makes 11mil next year and is an expiring so we have flexibility moving forward.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I already presented to you directly an article by Larry Coon why it would be a colossal blunder to gamble with the new CBA from Melo's position. There are just too many variables and unknowns for Melo to go out on a limb and declare he will wait for free agency.

Further, it was the Nets shrewd move of offering all that they did that inflated Denvers hand. Parkorov openly admits he intentionally made the Knicks inflate their offer. That cannot be blamed on Melo and cannot be credited to Denvers FO. It was a Machiavellian move by a Russian billionaire used to high level games of business intrigue.

There are S&T's, along wit many other potential salary clearing moves that can get us in a position to sign D will, Howard or CP3 so lets not pretend it's improbable or impossible for us to put together our own big 3. Further, you are overstating that we are left with a bunch of minimum scrubs. Billiups, S.Williams, Fields, Turiaf and Balkman are not scrubs.

Sure there is a possibility that the MLE will be done away with but I seriously doubt it considering how capped out most of the league is. Further, that is a problem all teams would have to contend with. Further, Amare's salary next year is 16.5 mil, not 20 mil as you suggest.

You are really inflating your home-team players worth IMO. They are all role players save Felton who in this system could be top 8 PG in the league. Watch the video, especially near the end to see an honest evaluation of our talent from Denvers prospective.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2011/02/18/tkbtv-with-andrew-feinstein/

LJ, did you miss this post?

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
don't tell me we are holding up this deal for Timofey ****ing Mosgov. Get this shit done already so I can stop obsessing over this stupid trade and move one from my life.