The trade that has bothered you the most from the Isiah era...

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Bad management Decisions

There have been so many bad decisions by management in drafts and trades that it is hard to select a single "worst" move. Many bad decisions still plague the Knicks even though made before the Isiah period.

I trace bad decisions to Ed Tapscott's decision to draft Frederic Weis over Ron Artest in the 1999 draft.

Then there was the decision to trade Patrick and Chris Dudley for Glen Rice, Luc Longley, Travis Knight and three others. Layden made this move in the summer of 2000. We should have let Patrick's contract expire. The Patrick trade was the beginning of our cap space problems.

In that trade we gave up a first round pick but picked up two first round picks, one from the Lakers and one from Seattle. In his infinite wisdom, Layden traded those picks in the process of acquiring Othella Harrington, Muggsy Bogues and Mark Jackson. As a result we had no first round pick in 2001. The last four first round picks in that draft were Gerald Wallace, Samuel Dalembert, Jamal tinsley and Tony Parker.

The Layden trade for McDyess, giving up Camby, and then swappiing a 7th pick for a 24th pick in 2002 was not too bright. We picked Nene for Denver at the 7th spot and then took Frank Williams at 24. Amare Stoudemire and Caron Butler were among those who would have been available at 7.

The effects of the Marbury trade are not over. We lose a first round draft pick n 2009 or 2010. Unless we end up in the top eight teams -- unlikely -- the lost pick will be an unprotected 2010 first round pick.

Ariza for Francis was ridiculous.

in my opinion, however. the Curry trade cost us the most -- two very early first round picks -- could have been Tyrus Thomas or LaMarcus Aldridge in one year and a selection in 2007. But we did pick Chandler in Chicago's spot in 2007 and he could turn out better than anyone between the 9th spot we would have had and the spot we got.

Although he kills us in hoped for cap space in 2010, Zach has been very good so far in D'Antoni's system. Althugh I expect he will go in order to get the 2010 cap space, we might get something for him.

TunerAddict

Starter
Ariza and a lot of cap space.

Why did we trade for Jalen Rose?
Sign Jerome James?
Crawford?
Curry?
Randolph?
Tim Thomas?
Mo Taylor?
etc and etc.

We got Jalen Rose because Larry Brown wanted a SF and at the time we didn't really have one to his liking.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I would have to say the Jerome James signing. It was like throwing money into the fire. As bad as the Curry, Rose, Jeffries trade may seem, at least they played every season and contributed in some way.

moneyg

Starter
im not gonna mention jjames becayse he was signed as a FA not traded for.

id have to say curry, based on all the picks we gave up we could of used in better trades.:smokin:eek:r drafted better players with those picks.

ariza is a good player but we could find those types of playes all around the league. in fact we had balkman, ewing jr and chandler which all were similar but chandler is the best of the bunch

KBlack25

Starter
man, Bynum is the most overrated player I've ever seen. You have to admit, hes unproven. Last time I saw him play, he was sloppy. Rookie like. Sorry off-topic. I say the Curry trade because of the picks we sent them

Co-sign times a BILLION. He had ONE good HALF of a season...fantastically overrated.

jzero29

Rotation player
Trade

Do I have to pick one??? Kidding. The thing is, that there is not one trade that screws the team that bad, it's kind of a all the trades together that screw us. The curry trade has to be one of the worst, especially just after the signing of jerome james? two centers? and all the draft picks we lost on curry trade.
We haven't lost that much irreplacable talent. the thing we lost the most, that would have put this team in a totally different spot, is draft picks and expiring contracts. The trade of ariza has to be one of the bigest busts also, we got the over the hill used up fransis, and traded ariza and Penny hardaways contract. It's just foolish moves for over the hill or over rated players.

KBlack25

Starter
Bynum isn't overrated. He's as good as advertised.

He might wind up being as good as advertised. I personally really like Andrew Bynum, I think he has potential. But right at this second, a lot of people are singing his praises like he's the second coming. Fact is he's had only one good half season, I'd like to see him stay healthy and play like he did that half season for a full year before I'm ready to say he's THAT good.

I think at the end of the day he will be as good as advertised, but that's just a personal opinion based on mere speculation and a half a season of watching him really perform well...

Starks

Starter
I actually was most bothered by the trade Isiah didn't make.

Getting Vince Carter 4 years ago from Toronto. That's back when Steph was putting up all star numbers. We would have went deep in playoffs.

KBlack25

Starter
You guy's doubting Bynum must not watch much basketball?

I watch a ton of basketball. Like I said I like Bynum, but the fact of the matter is he's had ONE good HALF of a season. He had a season ending injury his senior year on one leg, and a season ending injury last year on the other. I'm just not sure he's the type of guy that will stay healthy his whole career. When he's healthy, or at least when he was healthy last year, he played very well. The key issue is he might not be healthy all that often.

moneyg

Starter
I actually was most bothered by the trade Isiah didn't make.

Getting Vince Carter 4 years ago from Toronto. That's back when Steph was putting up all star numbers. We would have went deep in playoffs.

Actually when vince was traded to the nets, toronto did not want to send him to ny even though ny offered a far better deal than the nets had offered. dont know why we are all in the same division. the nets got him for basically nothing.. verified by stephen a. smith espn:update:

metrocard

Legend
Bynum is extremely skilled for a young 7 footer, that what seperates him from other centers in the NBA, plus his age, frame, athleticism, agility, footwork and reaction time makes the room to grow in much bigger than your average center prospect.

KBlack25

Starter
Bynum is extremely skilled for a young 7 footer, that what seperates him from other centers in the NBA, plus his age, frame, athleticism, agility, footwork and reaction time makes the room to grow in much bigger than your average center prospect.

Agreed, but of the things you listed I think age is the biggest factor and you can take it in two ways in this case. In terms of age, he's a young dude obviously, and you'd expect him to be in good shape, probably phenomenal shape. The injuries really would scare me if I was a Laker fan. A guy this young with 2 pretty serious injuries on his legs. On the flip side, he's so young that he could do some kind of work on his legs to increase their strength and durability and by time he is durable enough he'd still have a long career ahead of him. I think the same holds true with a guy like Oden...

And I agree, in terms of centers in the NBA, he's right up there in any conversation you have to have, especially in terms of potential.

Starks

Starter
Actually when vince was traded to the nets, toronto did not want to send him to ny even though ny offered a far better deal than the nets had offered. dont know why we are all in the same division. the nets got him for basically nothing.. verified by stephen a. smith espn:update:

Yea, i remember hearing that. I didn't know if it was true. Just proves how much bad blood Isiah has around the NBA.

Imagine that line up back then:

Steph
Houston
Vince
Van Horn
???? Who was our center 4 years ago? I can't remember who the hell it was. Nzar Mohamed cam later on in the year b4 the VC trade

moneyg

Starter
Yea, i remember hearing that. I didn't know if it was true. Just proves how much bad blood Isiah has around the NBA.

Imagine that line up back then:

Steph
Houston
Vince
Van Horn
???? Who was our center 4 years ago? I can't remember who the hell it was. Nzar Mohamed cam later on in the year b4 the VC trade

nzar, we also had kurt thomas and mutombo. all the GMs took isaih for a fool. his best asset is scouting players. thats it