Waive me or Play me

KBlack25

Starter
Marbury was given a 4 year-76 million dollar contract. It's not his fault he was given all that money. Donnie Walsh needs to pay Marbury and let him go to a contender. He needs to stop being so cheap. It's not like D'Antoni plans on using Marbury.

You have $21.9 million to just throw around? That's a lot of money to pay for nothing, especially when it's basically paying him that to go to another team.

GetRealistic

Starter
If Marbury believes he can still play at a high level and also wants to continue to play ball in this league he should just accept a 17-18 million dollar buy out. Dolan just wants to feel like he won the battle.

If Marbury plays well on his one year deal worth around 1 million he could easily sign a two to three year deal worth 10 milliion and make up the money he lost.

I know he earned the money and he should recieve it but at this point with all the money hes earned over his career whats 2 million? If he truly loves the game and wants to prove the Knicks organization wrong he should take a lower buyout play for the vet minimium this year then sign a decent contract next season.

Its the NBA players who have track records get recycled over and over. So despite his track record somebody will give him a chance. I don't thnk it will be the Spurs or Celtics but somebody will give him a cheap deal and give him a chance. Since he'll only be making 1 million its not much of a risk. If he plays well its great if he struggles or causes problems eating a 1 million dollar contract is nothing.

But people Dolan is to blame not D'Antoni and Walsh. D'Antoni is the coach and if he doesn't want a guy to play he shouldn't have to play him. We intrusted him with our team so you have to trust the guy. I know were 8-10 but we are leaps and bounds better then last year so we should let him coach the team.

Walsh can't get blamed because Marbury is not tradeable with that contract and if Dolan won't do a buyout what other recourse does Walsh have. Subtract this Marbury fiasco and Donnie has done a great job thus far. He hired a good coach and made trades to give us cap room.

It comes down to this if Marbury want to play basketball he should take a lower buyout. I'm not saying 15 million i'm saying something like 18 million which if he gets signed will jump his salary right back up to 19.5 so in reality hes losing like 2 million dollars.

Marbury is in the last year of his contract so he has to be on the court to have any chance to make the big bucks next year. The Knicks asked him to play twice. At the time he was still practicing with the team. Now that he has been suspended and told not to practice with the team he wants to play. WTF. This is basically Marbury saying waive me or Ill just keep making things worse PR wise for the team. Dude needs to take the buyout and get on the court somewhere else so he can get that paper next year.

The whole situation is annoying. I loved Marbury as a player. I loved it even more that he was a local product that wanted to be a Knick. Bought his jersey, cheered for him, the whole shibang. To see everything go down like this is a shame.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

NO, instead he keeps it all to himself without making a clear decision before the start of the season, allows Steph to practice and play in the preseason, even start. Mind you, Starbury has shown his worth and value.

When the opening season game came around, he let it be known that Stephon WAS the cancer by telling Steph, he was not to be played or apart of the Knicks future. On top of that he was already SUITED up. (How disrespectful can you get?)

Do not come to me telling me he did not think he was a cancer or was a key negative influence. Jamal Crawful had the WORST performance in the pre-season but was STARTED at the 2 without question! Mike D. had it in for Steph and this statement is proof alone. Do I even have to mention the other bums on our team? Alright then

So do you call this professional to lead on a player then to abruptly unload him at the beginning of the season?

That's the problem with your opinion, it's biased towards Marbury because you dislike like him and you choose to take shots at Steph whenever you get the chance.

Mike D. brought it down on himself. If he is going to be upset about the relationship he might aswell smack himself for not handling it better.

Here's my point. You as a fan are upset that D'Antoni didn't play Marbury. I respect that... But, regardless of what D'Antoni's reasons were it's coaches prerogative on who plays and who doesn't. It's not disrespectful for a coach not to play a guy. Now you can say that D'Antoni said that everyone had a clean slate and it doesn't really seem like he gave Marbury a fair shot. That's a decent argument, but it's not disrespect.

This type of shit happens all the time. My fiance's aunt works for the incumbent governor of NC. Bev Perdue is coming in and replacing her and some of her coworkers. Is that disrespectful? No, it's business. My point is a coach can play who he wants. That's my argument, but again I understand how you feel as a Marbury fan. You still should own up to what Marbury does and says in a non-bias way. Steph started all of this media talk. He chose not to play because his feelings were hurt and because you guys are his fans you all supported that. I support the team before any one player. No one gets to decide not to play because their feelings were hurt. Man Up!

MSGKnickz33 said:
Whats the deal with donchris? I dont know if i can take you seriously anymore. To say D'antoni has acted professional....you used to be one of the best posters on this site. But i keep sayin that hatred can blind people from the truth. I know that your not like all these other posters on this site, your better then this.

Great work as always akamu.....i think were gonna have to start sayin top 4 posters on this site instead of top 3. We got me, you, metro, abcd....I dont know what order but i do believe were the 4 best.

Yes great work fellow non-bias team starbury fan... lol. I'm still one of the best posters on this site, just ask your boss.

You're a dude I respect so I'm not going to joke around. We have different points of views on this subject. Naturally I think I'm right and you are misguided on this one but I understand how you feel. But let me clarify my position.

When I say that D'Antoni acted like a professional I mean he never had any derogatory words for Marbury, at least none were said to reporters, unlike Quenton Richardson, unlike Stephon Marbury. That's what I call professional. We may disagree on the decision that was made by D'Antoni or not. It's not that I think he should or shouldn't have played Marbury because I really don't care, I just think that's his choice. But back to professionalism, his words to the media were classy. He always took the high road, he said several times 'Steph's been great!'. That's professional. He could be a complete dick behind closed doors, I don't know, but what's been said in interviews and reports has been on the up and up.

Richardson calls out Marbury and you guys think it's wrong (I agreed), uncalled for and unprofessional.

Marbury talks shit about D'Antoni and it's not uncalled for or unprofessional? Huh? That's where I'm lost. Support the guy, cool, but call it straight. What applies for one, applies for all.

Akamu

The King
Here's my point. You as a fan are upset that D'Antoni didn't play Marbury. I respect that... But, regardless of what D'Antoni's reasons were it's coaches prerogative on who plays and who doesn't. It's not disrespectful for a coach not to play a guy. Now you can say that D'Antoni said that everyone had a clean slate and it doesn't really seem like he gave Marbury a fair shot. That's a decent argument, but it's not disrespect.

This type of shit happens all the time. My fiance's aunt works for the incumbent governor of NC. Bev Perdue is coming in and replacing her and some of her coworkers. Is that disrespectful? No, it's business. My point is a coach can play who he wants. That's my argument, but again I understand how you feel as a Marbury fan. You still should own up to what Marbury does and says in a non-bias way. Steph started all of this media talk. He chose not to play because his feelings were hurt and because you guys are his fans you all supported that. I support the team before any one player. No one gets to decide not to play because their feelings were hurt. Man Up!

It is not disrespectful for a coach to play whomever he wants to, agreed.

In this situation in particular there was no clear decision made, Mikey had his best player and the fans believing he was going to play (hence the Starbury chants of the opening day game, Stephon suited up and ready to go just to be as stunned as I was when he wasn't even considered to come off the bench.)

Starbury didn't get a shot period, no offcial minutes were ever logged for him.

Walsh and Mike D. were not apart of the Knicks last year and the years prior to that. They did not have a clear understanding of the situation and who was bad or not, who to play and etc.

They are finally getting it and doing some things righ: the trades NOT only for cap, who should have what minutes, and who works well together.

You can't compare your fiances aunt's misfortune and the Starbury situation.

That was a business decision-

This was a personal gripe against a player-

This was a decision based on favoritism, a bad taste in Mike D's mouth from years ago, the media pressure. The point is, the Starbury situation was not approached fairly.

I am supporting the team, what is with you distasteful haters and this team before a player crap?

Starbury was/is the best gaurd available and should have been played, if not starter at least for backup.

A stupid decision was biasedly made and has been resented by me and many others.

Man-up? I posted on 2 seperate occasions that Starbury should have played when he was given the chance, BUT I would not hold it against him for the way he has been mistreated and used as a scapegoat.

If it were me I would have played because that's me, but Starbury isn't me and I respect his decision because it's valid.

I don't agree with everything Steph or any player does, but he was wronged here.

It was his final year with a ton of money over his head, he worked hard and got into shape, for the first time in his career was willing to play a backup role, he showed how good he can be in the preseason.

Why would you not play him? (Personal reasonings)

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Yes great work fellow non-bias team starbury fan... lol. I'm still one of the best posters on this site, just ask your boss.

You're a dude I respect so I'm not going to joke around. We have different points of views on this subject. Naturally I think I'm right and you are misguided on this one but I understand how you feel. But let me clarify my position.

When I say that D'Antoni acted like a professional I mean he never had any derogatory words for Marbury, at least none were said to reporters, unlike Quenton Richardson, unlike Stephon Marbury. That's what I call professional. We may disagree on the decision that was made by D'Antoni or not. It's not that I think he should or shouldn't have played Marbury because I really don't care, I just think that's his choice. But back to professionalism, his words to the media were classy. He always took the high road, he said several times 'Steph's been great!'. That's professional. He could be a complete dick behind closed doors, I don't know, but what's been said in interviews and reports has been on the up and up.

Richardson calls out Marbury and you guys think it's wrong (I agreed), uncalled for and unprofessional.

Marbury talks shit about D'Antoni and it's not uncalled for or unprofessional? Huh? That's where I'm lost. Support the guy, cool, but call it straight. What applies for one, applies for all.

I have said the whole time that i do think marbury should have played when asked, despite how poorly i believe the situation was handled. I also believe that D'antoni looks very tense and uptight in his interviews, in my opinion he has liar written all over his face. I do respect your post, and the perspective your viewing this from.

metrocard

Legend
If Marbury believes he can still play at a high level and also wants to continue to play ball in this league he should just accept a 17-18 million dollar buy out. Dolan just wants to feel like he won the battle.

If Marbury plays well on his one year deal worth around 1 million he could easily sign a two to three year deal worth 10 milliion and make up the money he lost.

I know he earned the money and he should recieve it but at this point with all the money hes earned over his career whats 2 million? If he truly loves the game and wants to prove the Knicks organization wrong he should take a lower buyout play for the vet minimium this year then sign a decent contract next season.

Its the NBA players who have track records get recycled over and over. So despite his track record somebody will give him a chance. I don't thnk it will be the Spurs or Celtics but somebody will give him a cheap deal and give him a chance. Since he'll only be making 1 million its not much of a risk. If he plays well its great if he struggles or causes problems eating a 1 million dollar contract is nothing.

But people Dolan is to blame not D'Antoni and Walsh. D'Antoni is the coach and if he doesn't want a guy to play he shouldn't have to play him. We intrusted him with our team so you have to trust the guy. I know were 8-10 but we are leaps and bounds better then last year so we should let him coach the team.

Walsh can't get blamed because Marbury is not tradeable with that contract and if Dolan won't do a buyout what other recourse does Walsh have. Subtract this Marbury fiasco and Donnie has done a great job thus far. He hired a good coach and made trades to give us cap room.

It comes down to this if Marbury want to play basketball he should take a lower buyout. I'm not saying 15 million i'm saying something like 18 million which if he gets signed will jump his salary right back up to 19.5 so in reality hes losing like 2 million dollars.

Marbury does believe he can play at the most optimal level, that doesn't mean he should lose his money for it.

Why should Marbury take a chance? The NBA is a business and entertainment...this isn't college or highschool...NBA players a professionals that should be treated like professionals.

About D'Antoni.

Honestly, anyone is better "leaps and bounds" over Isiah's wreckless system led by Crawford, Curry and Randolph.

Now those guys are gone, and we have a better system. Improvement is expected.

2 million dollars is a lot of money mayne...especially in times like this. Would you take the buyout if you're Marbury?

Paul1355

All Star
We really don't know who said what but I personally felt that when Marbury was benched on game 1 that Mike D was in for a shyt storm with Steph.

I felt he should have actually started at SG with Duhon which sounds like a good back court, small, but good.

Steph should play regardless because his team needs him and if he wants to actually impress and maybe get traded, then he should play and show OTHER teams that he still has the talent and skill to be good on any team.

We all know now that DONNIE LIED about the "clean slate" remark made before the season began, when talking about Marbury and his past situation with the Knicks. You don't bench a former all star making 21 million and give him absolutely no playing time for NO REASON.

This was to have him buy out his contract and it didnt work. Benching Marbury was obviously Donnie Walsh's move due to his 2010 plan to shed cap space...Donnie got pushy and blew it with Steph. He obviously told Mike D to not play Steph regardless of any situation. Don't play him, get him frustrated enough that he leaves. Mission failed Donnie.

It's all about money right now to the point were Knick management made some bad moves...1)Randolph for Thomas and a retired Mobley, yes it cleared ALOT of cap space but we were on a great roll with Zach 2)Not playing your best player in Marbury and causing ANOTHER fued in the Knicks organization.

I hope this ends in a buy out, trade or the best solution would be Marbury actually suiting up and playing his last season with the Knicks and giving it his all.

metrocard

Legend
We really don't know who said what but I personally felt that when Marbury was benched on game 1 that Mike D was in for a shyt storm with Steph.

I felt he should have actually started at SG with Duhon which sounds like a good back court, small, but good.

Steph should play regardless because his team needs him and if he wants to actually impress and maybe get traded, then he should play and show OTHER teams that he still has the talent and skill to be good on any team.

We all know now that DONNIE LIED about the "clean slate" remark made before the season began, when talking about Marbury and his past situation with the Knicks. You don't bench a former all star making 21 million and give him absolutely no playing time for NO REASON.

This was to have him buy out his contract and it didnt work. Benching Marbury was obviously Donnie Walsh's move due to his 2010 plan to shed cap space...Donnie got pushy and blew it with Steph. He obviously told Mike D to not play Steph regardless of any situation. Don't play him, get him frustrated enough that he leaves. Mission failed Donnie.

It's all about money right now to the point were Knick management made some bad moves...1)Randolph for Thomas and a retired Mobley, yes it cleared ALOT of cap space but we were on a great roll with Zach 2)Not playing your best player in Marbury and causing ANOTHER fued in the Knicks organization.

I hope this ends in a buy out, trade or the best solution would be Marbury actually suiting up and playing his last season with the Knicks and giving it his all.

You honestly think Marbury lost all his talent and skill in one season?

Foolish.

Marbury isn't a 22 ppg 9 assist guy anymore, but he still could party up with 16 and 7, above average in comparision with your everyday PG.

personally, I think every one needs to relax with blaming Mike D for his tactics involving stephon. Chris Duhon is our starting point guard, Mike D believed in him from day one, and still does, and with that being the case my man has been our MVP so far this season. We dont come close to the win total we have now with out him pressuring the ball, finding people in the right spots, and putting up career highs in every statistical category. On the marbury side, I understand steph is a great talent, my haterbury days are over, I respect the man for being who he is, and all that he has had to over come, but I cannot argue with what Mike D has done so far. Duhon will be our starting point guard, for the foreseeable future, and steph wont. I tell you this right now, for the long-term Mike D pulled off a great coaching move, in that he is allowing his 26 year old point guard of our future to develop into a top notch floor general, and he did that by benching steph. Stephon if he did play, you cant play him just ten minutes a game because then you will still get caught up in a shit storm for not playing him enough minutes, so he made the right choice, bench him. That way duhon takes up the bulk of the minutes, (mike d knows we are not winning a title this yr or the next, the mans not oblivious), but he also understands the need for duhon to command the point position full-time. in conclusion, mike d made the right move, steph is not a part of our future, duhon is, and every minute that steph would take away from duhon this year, would essentially take away from our future. its called good coaching, and proper future planning.

well done Mike.

metrocard

Legend
Of course you can't play Marbury 10 minutes a game...he's a career 35-40 minute per game player...thats simple a b c's and 1 2 3's with coaching.

Honest assessment, Marbury would be more productive in this offense just based on experience and ability.

Duhon played awful defense in the first 8 games.

Our MVP has been Walsh for getting rid of Crawford and Randolph so easily without giving draft picks.

Paul1355

All Star
You honestly think Marbury lost all his talent and skill in one season?

Foolish.

Marbury isn't a 22 ppg 9 assist guy anymore, but he still could party up with 16 and 7, above average in comparision with your everyday PG.

I never said he lost it, I said that teams probably don't feel that he is the old Stephon who averaged 20 ppg because of all this drama. Last year with Isiah and not playing some games because of it and all this stuff with Mike D benching him. It's ridiculous and i want to see this guy play somewhere if not in a Knick uniform.

He should play just to impress other teams so he can get moved quicker.