What are your expectations for Porzingis this year?

paris401

Starter
we own the kid for 5 more years. .

how do ya come up with 5years??? next year is the team option, then the following year is the qualifying offer... then ???? so we have him till like 2022??? doesn't seem rite....but I don't know the in's/out's of the CBA

tiger0330

Legend
how do ya come up with 5years??? next year is the team option, then the following year is the qualifying offer... then ???? so we have him till like 2022??? doesn't seem rite....but I don't know the in's/out's of the CBA
He's a restricted FA in 2019 if he doesn't sign the extension. We have the right to match any offer when he becomes restricted, he isn't going to be like Timmy where ATL could have kept him by matching the Knicks offer, he'll get his max contract no ifs ands or buts IF he keeps playing at this level. We can keep him longer than 5 years if he signs a 5 year deal with us rather than having us match a 4 yr deal other teams can offer him when he hits FA.

For what it?s worth, KP said his brother?s comments (which were translated from Latvian) were taken out of context and he wants to be a Knick for a very long time.

mafra

Legend
?Porzingis is special,? said former Knicks big man Tyson Chandler. ?He has a chance to be the best player in this league.?

?I don?t really care about that that much. All I need is the respect from refs to get those calls,? Porzingis joked. ?I?m just playing basketball.

?I?m keeping it simple for myself, playing my game, doing the things I know how to do.

?But it?s nice to hear those kind of words from a (former NBA) Defensive Player of the Year. It?s nice to hear.?

tiger0330

Legend
More on why KP will sign that extension. No rookie offered the max has turned it down, also if he keeps playing at this level he's a cinch to be named to one of the 3 All NBA teams or DPOY which will increase the value of his extension to $195M. I don't see him turning down that money even if the Knicks have a losing record this season.

Tommy Beer: Despite comments from Kristaps Porzingis brother – it would be very, VERY risky for Porzingis to decline the Knicks max extension offer this summer. Based on current salary cap projections, the Knicks could offer Porzingis an extension worth $156.6 million in the summer of 2018. That extension would kick in following the 2018-19 season, and would be worth an average of $31.3 million per season. If Porzigis declines that extension offer in 2018, and again in 2019 as a RFA, Knicks would still control his rights through 2019-20. And KP would earn just $7.5 million in 2019-20. Then, once he finally hit unrestricted free agency, NY would still have his Bird Rights…There’s a reason every player offered a max extension off his rookie deal has signed that extension. It’s fiscally imprudent to decline…
2 days ago via Twitter TommyBeer

More on why KP will sign that extension. No rookie offered the max has turned it down, also if he keeps playing at this level he's a cinch to be named to one of the 3 All NBA teams or DPOY which will increase the value of his extension to $195M. I don't see him turning down that money even if the Knicks have a losing record this season.

Tommy Beer: Despite comments from Kristaps Porzingis brother ? it would be very, VERY risky for Porzingis to decline the Knicks max extension offer this summer. Based on current salary cap projections, the Knicks could offer Porzingis an extension worth $156.6 million in the summer of 2018. That extension would kick in following the 2018-19 season, and would be worth an average of $31.3 million per season. If Porzigis declines that extension offer in 2018, and again in 2019 as a RFA, Knicks would still control his rights through 2019-20. And KP would earn just $7.5 million in 2019-20. Then, once he finally hit unrestricted free agency, NY would still have his Bird Rights?There?s a reason every player offered a max extension off his rookie deal has signed that extension. It?s fiscally imprudent to decline?
2 days ago ? via Twitter TommyBeer

I totally agree KP is signing that extension. A guy who is a star in his early 20s who plays in NYC and is beloved by the fans and the team owner is not going to take less money to go somewhere else, even for a better chance to win.

The toxic environment created by PJ was the thing that could drive PJ away and now he?s gone. If Hornacek needs to go to keep KP, he?s gone too.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks are fast becoming among the NBA?s surprise teams. No longer can they be viewed as a club who will sink deep into the lottery. Some fans hope it results in a top-4 pick.

That?s not what Porzingis hopes, feeling the playoffs is more beneficial for the long run.

?That?s not how I look at it,?? Porzingis said on whether it?s better to get a high lottery pick. ?We want to win as many games as we can. That?s not how I think is right. I think we have a good enough team to make the playoffs. I didn?t make the playoffs my first two years. This year, if we can do it, it would be a step forward. We want to keep building. That step forward will draw more attention to the team and we can keep building also. (Playing for the lottery) not what I think is right.

Kiyaman

Legend
Im happy for KP consecutive 30 pt game, plus i'm happy for the Knicks playing .500 ball after the 0-3 start.
Dont get me wrong .. I luv the Knicks 4-1 winning streak, plus KP having big scoring games .. it's just i expected our young-player rebuilding process to have a 10-man rotation of lots of ball-movement and plays with lots of scoring from player-movement without the ball (plus having WHG in rotation) where 5 to 7 Knick players would have double digit scoring each game.

Im not crazy bout all this HYPE over KP scoring consecutive 30 point games!
I'm not crazy bout reading KP getting a extension this early in the season!
Lets just see how well KP do in the next 50 games .. I'm looking for KP to improve in his shooting %, up his rebounds, and add 2 to 3 assist for all the touches he receive in a game.

Hypothetical speaking .. If coach gave Kanter or Quinn the green-light to shoot 24 shots per game i would expect them to average 25 to 30 point games, I know i could average that amount of points per game taking that many shots.
Any NBA player that has a 25 pt game the first thing i look at is how many shots did he take.

What a lot of Fans are not looking at is whats gonna happen when KP has a DNP game .. what will coach Horn offensive scoring look like without KP 24 fga? Will coach Horn increase THJ 15 shots per game to 24 shots without KP?
And will Horn increase Kanter n Lee's 10 shots per game to 15 shots without KP in the lineup?
Or will the Knicks do like they did in the past when Iso-Melo missed a game (after LinSanity), where the Knicks head-coach would use a crazy substitution to lose every game without Melo?

and1

Rotation player
i would assume that timmy and kanter's shot attempts would go up, maybe even lee's. we'd probably see more minutes for dougie or beas or both. i'd be okay with those options.

Kiyaman

Legend
i would assume that timmy and kanter's shot attempts would go up, maybe even lee's. we'd probably see more minutes for dougie or beas or both. i'd be okay with those options.

Then we need to start running some plays for THJ, Kanter, and Lee .. the majority of their scoring has come from broken plays or isolation moves. We could count on Dougie having a big game when given extra minute ..
Beas is a question mark?
Lance Thomas is a question mark?
Dotson will be the MAN .. maybe in mid-season or next season, i been amazed by Dotson 2-way performance.

and1

Rotation player
yeah i'd like to see more minutes for dotson too. he needs to make the most of them whenever he's given the chance, usually it's been when someone is in foul trouble or we have a big lead. up to this point he's done pretty well with the minutes he's gotten. there's still a lot of season to go.

Kiyaman

Legend
yeah i'd like to see more minutes for dotson too. he needs to make the most of them whenever he's given the chance, usually it's been when someone is in foul trouble or we have a big lead. up to this point he's done pretty well with the minutes he's gotten. there's still a lot of season to go.

I got nuthin but well athletic NBA Ready rookie comments to say bout Dotson ..
Watching Dotson in the summer League games show fans he had several skills better than the D or G League players made me smile twice on Phils 2017 draft selections.

We have another 23 yr old sleeper on the team named Isaiah Hicks .. this guy inside the paint performance on both sides of the court will be devastating on our DLeague team .. I cant wait to watch our Westchest team this season, the best part i like bout Isaiah Hicks is he's 6.9 PF that don't shoot 3-ball shots, when he can score down low to pick up a foul to shoot 80% FTA

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
The ole switcherooskie by #kporzee

He could potentially win 1 of these major awards and I have him Top 5 in a few of them at present