What will we do?

jpz17

Starter
Every NBA team seems to be improving but the Knicks. Every big team has a new big player. How are we expected to contend?

I would say the Bucks are out of the picture. Twolves are out. Rockets are out. That is really it though.

Pistons did get a couple good signings with more to come..

How are we expected to contend?

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
This organzation is so stuck on 2010 that I say we don't sign anybody this year unless its a aging Grant Hill.Walsh is going to let all our free agents walk b/c it looks like he is to stupid to even realise that we need to keep our players to contend.I'll tell you one thing We better make a monster splash in the James,Wade,Dirk and so on b/c if we don't then we will keep being the laughing stock of the NBA.

dave2138

Rotation player
What are you expecting out of the team for next year? Honestly, I will be pissed if they went out and made moves that helped only for 2009/2010 instead of looking at the future. If they could get any future draft picks or young, cheap role players in exchange of the expiring contracts they have now then they shouldn't hesitate.

dpryde

Benchwarmer
lmao you expect us to make moves to contend for this year? yea ill pass, we have nothing valuable to offer to get a star player. i like the 2010 plan, and once we get rid of jeffries or curry ill be fine with this offseason.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
What are you expecting out of the team for next year? Honestly, I will be pissed if they went out and made moves that helped only for 2009/2010 instead of looking at the future. If they could get any future draft picks or young, cheap role players in exchange of the expiring contracts they have now then they shouldn't hesitate.
Co-sign! You stole the words right off of my keyboard.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Pessimism hey. Well, now you've changed your mind, you're right. So far, not so good. As I stated in a thread incredibly similar to this one yesterday.

Although, I said that Donnie must have (?) something near completion or a verbal affirmation from someone that's gonna make for a brighter day. Right? Maybe? I hope so.

The playoffs are a must this year with SO much being put into 2010. We need a post-season team to offer along with the $$$$.

johnstarky

Rotation player
You have to understand that these are the New York Knicks/Baltimore Orioles of the NBA.Did you expect Donnie Walsh to pull a rabbit out of a hat by trading Eddie Curry, Jared Jeffries, and Larry Hughes for Brandon Roy? Or Nate Robinson and Chris Duhon for Chris Paul? This is an organization that hasn't made an impacting move since the Latrell Sprewell for John Starks, Chris Mills, and Terry Cummings trade.That move was made more than 10 years ago when people were still using pagers and children were watching Pokemon.

What you see right now on the Knicks roster is probably what you will be seeing come November.No NBA general manager who's name isn't Isiah Thomas is going to want to take an obese,lazy, and degenerate 300 pound mascot and make him their team's starting center or want a 6 foot 11 praying mantis who can't even create his own shot.The only player on the Knicks current roster right now that might be covetable is Wilson Chandler and he is the face of the franchise.The Knicks have been a team full of role players since the good old days of Scott Layden.

I am not as masochistic as the Knick fan that roots for Kobe Bryant to slap around the Knicks on their home court or the Knick fan that would rather watch Stephon Marbury win an NBA championship with the Celtics than watch his team be a competitive one.But when you have an owner that is more hated by Knick fans than George W Bush and an organization that has been called a league wide joke by future NBA hall of famers you can't blame these so called Knick fans for giving up on their team.

On the positive side of things, the Knicks making the playoffs in the near future will be just as great of an accomplishment for most Knick fans as them winning a championship.No one is expecting them to accomplish anything this season but if they can somehow get into the playoffs, even as an 8th seeded team, it will be the greatest thing to happen to the Knicks since Larry Johnson's 4 point play against the Pacers.

Kiyaman

Legend
Twenty-Ten Plan vs the real Knick-Fans

This organzation is so stuck on 2010 that I say we don't sign anybody this year unless its a aging Grant Hill.Walsh is going to let all our free agents walk b/c it looks like he is to stupid to even realise that we need to keep our players to contend.I'll tell you one thing We better make a monster splash in the James,Wade,Dirk and so on b/c if we don't then we will keep being the laughing stock of the NBA.

Great Post....for all the Donnie Walsh Pacer Fans that became Knick Fans (b/c that is what they been sounding like all this past season).

It's understandable for a Portland-Fan to believe strongly in their twenty-ten Plan....but it is not uderstandable or logical for any Knick-Fan to even think 2010 when your organization been the "JOKE" of the NBA when your players rebelled to put more effort into losing games than winning the last 5 years.

Walsh traded for ending contract 2010 FA players that will not be worth half of the MLE come 2010 offseason.
I wonder why Walsh pulled the tricker so early when coach Dantoni had complete control over 90% of all the Isiah Thomas players? was it to help two old co-working friends of Walsh that teams got off to a losing start (Mullin & Dunleavy)?
While we Knicks started off with a winning start of the regular season with a discipline Marbury sitting on the bench ready to help us win some more games when given the chance.

I dont see any super-star or decent star 2010 FA....signing on to a gutted Knick Team next offseason without demanding a salary that will be twice their worth. Why? b/c the Knicks will not have a starting lineup or any decent role-players for depth.

If our David Lee & Nate Robinson were "unrestricted" FA....the two would've been signed by one of the four top contender teams for the MLE already.
Which both players agents would have jumped on to put Postseason experience on their resume. Why?
Nate & Lee have 8 more great years in the NBA...

jpz17

Starter
nice job kiya...

You guys don't realize that Bosh LeBron Wade all those guys will be offered the max contract no matter what. At that point it is about what situation they like best. They do not want to go to a Knicks squad with Chandler, Hill, and Gallinari as our best guys. Did I forget Douglas?

Our team is crap in 2010 even if we just get Bosh. If you expect us to even win with:
Bosh
Hill
Gallinari
Chandler
Douglas

you are an idiot.

We need good solid players that will help bring the Knicks back to a decent team before expecting to become a championship team in one year.

If we don't win 40+ games in 2009-2010 NO FA WILL SIGN TO NY

dave2138

Rotation player
I think a young core of solid role players in Hill, Gallinari, Chandler is good enough for one of the max contract FA to be persuaded to come here. Then you also consider that even if the Knicks don't trade Curry/Jefferies, they still come off the books in 2010/2011 which means the Knicks can spend more on FA then.

If Lebron, Wade, Stat etc. choose to sign elsewhere it will have nothing to do with winning or money. It will have to do with they are comfortable playing in the city they are currently in rather than in the biggest market in the nba.

What does Cleveland have to offer? Mo Williams and Delonte West..

Miami..Beasley

Don't look so much into the Knicks 2009/2010 record..once you add James or Wade they become one of the best in the East.

dre48ny

Rotation player
I think a young core of solid role players in Hill, Gallinari, Chandler is good enough for one of the max contract FA to be persuaded to come here. Then you also consider that even if the Knicks don't trade Curry/Jefferies, they still come off the books in 2010/2011 which means the Knicks can spend more on FA then.

If Lebron, Wade, Stat etc. choose to sign elsewhere it will have nothing to do with winning or money. It will have to do with they are comfortable playing in the city they are currently in rather than in the biggest market in the nba.

What does Cleveland have to offer? Mo Williams and Delonte West..

Miami..Beasley

Don't look so much into the Knicks 2009/2010 record..once you add James or Wade they become one of the best in the East.

Exactly if we can land one big free agent in 2010 and improve, we can sign another free agent in 2011 when jefferis and curry are no longer here. The class of 2011 has some really good free agents!!

If one of the big free agents in 2010 do not sign here, we we will have tons of cap space in 2011. At this point, I just dont want the NYK to spend stupid money. i wouldnt mind keeping Lee.

sjmp

Rookie
Clear for 2010 Cap Space is Priority #1

You absolutely wait until 2010 and create as much cap room as possible. Regardless of the IF in terms of the FA's that will or will not come to NY. But the bottom line is every one of their agents will beg them to except a max deal in NY over almost every other team in the NBA - why - the NY market for athletes will gross them more cash outside of their contract then the contract itself.
THey will make more money in endorsements than they will playing bb.

also the idea to revive the NY Knicks and bring them back to NY will create a legacy for the players - appealing? Heck yea. This is more money for the NBA when they have the knicks in the playoffs. Its a financial windfall.

In the meantime, this team is not going to go anywhere. Let them develop the kids as much as possible. Think long term - which could be as short as 2/3 yrs. Not a bad deal.

The mess we are in has nothing to do with Walsh or D'Antonio -

They have made all the right moves so far. Expect them to continue to prepare cap space for the biggest off season in NBA history. It will be exciting.

BTW - I dont want BOSH... please dont mess this up!

ANU

Starter
lmao.cry me a ****ing river.its all about lebron.if we don't end up with him, oh well.I'd rather have a shot at the best player in the world, than some other money hungry assholes.

Last edited:

sjmp

Rookie
I agree that lebron is priority #1. But getting Dirk and Wade wouldnt be so bad either.

Lebron is the best player, sans Kobe. But last i checked bron bron was toasted in the Conf Finals last two years.

nyk_nyk

All Star
At this point, everyone in the basketball community knows what the knicks plans are. 2010 FAs know what's going on and all they have to decide is whether or not they want to be a part of the "new" knicks.

Any big FA in 2010 knows the team won't be championship ready during the first and maybe second year. Any player that takes part in the knicks getting back to being relevant will reap huge rewards in terms of marketing dollars. Players will want to come here because of the possibilities. Sure the team is bad now, but top players like to believe that they are the difference makers and what better place to show that then the mecca of basketball?

I truly believe Lebron will be wearing a knick uniform in 2010. If he definitely wanted to stay in CLE he would have expressed it already. It's obvious plus the Kobee/Lebron duels would work so much better with the headline being NY vs LA.

Trust me, being a multi-millionaire sports figure in new york city is a BIG deal.

th3realicon

Rotation player
No one has ever considered that Donnie wants to intentianally take a losing season on 09 to earn a good lottery pick(Possibly top 5)?

smokes

Huge Member
I agree that lebron is priority #1. But getting Dirk and Wade wouldnt be so bad either.

Lebron is the best player, sans Kobe. But last i checked bron bron was toasted in the Conf Finals last two years.

Lebron didn't really get toasted though, his teammates did. He had close to 40ppg alongside 8rpg 8apg 1 steal 1 block for the conf. finals. Can't really complain about that.

BernardKing

Rookie
This summer should be mainly about clearing cap space for next summer. The key to luring Lebron is being able to tell him that we have the cap space for TWO maximum contracts (Lebron + 1) from the greatest free agent class in history.

The Portland rumor would only make sense if they take back Jeffries' contract. It would be: DLee (sign-and-trade) and Jeffries for Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw. From a player standpoint, Portland wins in this deal, and we shed some dough so Walsh can tell Lebron he can bring one of his buddies from the Olympics...

Or:

Deal with the Maloof brothers and do Nate + Jeffries for Kenny Thomas. Same concept. From a player standpoint, Sacramento easily wins in the deal, and we shed some dough so Walsh can get Lebron + 1.

Of those two scenarios, I prefer the first one...

Also, taking on a class act like Grant Hill is OK at low numbers, as long as there is already something in the works to clear some more room...