Who else thinks the Knicks Should Have Traded Up in the Draft?

Toons

is the Bo$$
id pick love definitely.

love is gonna b a beast

i wanted us to gte love, loose randolph and get artest

GetRealistic

Starter
GetReal, in Balkman rookie season who meshed better with their teammates Jefferies or Tazman?

Balkman and Chandler were both benched all season, I guess Chandler isnt any good either.

I'm not putting Balkman on any kind of high pedastol.... But you think all NBA players are supposed to be scorers which is ridiculous.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say Keven Mchale did make that swap with the Knicks for the 6th pick and Balkman, do you think he would've drafted Gallinari with that 6th pick?

Didn't Love getting picked 5th anyway? I'm also pretty sure i never said Jefferies was better then Balkman (which he is), but i did say Mike Miller is much better then Balkman.

NBA players aren't supposed to be scorers but in todays NBA when you have a guy who can't play ANY OFFENSE its like your playing 5 on 4. You can get away with it when that player is a Ben Wallace in his prime or say a Dennis Rodman. But Balkman isn't that good of a rebounder or defender to get those minutes. Even Bruce Bown can knock down open jumpers.

Kiya nobody knows what Gallanari is going to be yet, but you act like we drafted a guy who was projected in the 2nd round with the 6th pick. Gallanari was right around the 4-10th pick in all the mocks. Maybe he'll be a bust but even if he was i don't think it was a mistake to pick him. Me personally i was hoping Russell Westbrook would drop to us but he didn't. A 19 year old sharp shooter with the European fundamentals in D'Antoni's system that seems like a pretty solid fit to me. Atleast on paper.

TunerAddict

Starter
The 6th pick was valuable to get players "C-Brook Lopez" or "F-Alexander" or "G-Gordon" or "Bayless" or "G-Augustin" or "F-Rush" by the Wolves or Memphis (both their G.M.'s are not that bright when it comes down to quick decisions).

Lol. You just named all garbage players.

Paul1355

All Star
Lol. You just named all garbage players.

Your brain just stopped working when you typed that. Did you know Bayless scored over 30 ppg in most of his summer league games? This kid isn't a joke. Love, Alexander, Gordon, Bayless and Augustine have upside.

If you exclude Gallinari, the 6th pick should have been either Bayless, Augustine, or Lopez. Lopez because we needed a center with height and an ability to run the floor well in Mike D's stystem, which Lopez can do.

Out of all these players....Gallinari still comes out looking better.

TunerAddict

Starter
Your brain just stopped working when you typed that. Did you know Bayless scored over 30 ppg in most of his summer league games? This kid isn't a joke. Love, Alexander, Gordon, Bayless and Augustine have upside.

If you exclude Gallinari, the 6th pick should have been either Bayless, Augustine, or Lopez. Lopez because we needed a center with height and an ability to run the floor well in Mike D's stystem, which Lopez can do.

Out of all these players....Gallinari still comes out looking better.

Lol. My brain just stopped working?

Summer League isn't anything.

Bayless is a tweener. He'll put up 15ppg but never amount to anything or contribute to a winning team. Role Player

Love is a great skill and fundamental guy, but he isn't athletic enough to be a major player in the NBA. Role Player

Gordon is more of a tweener than Bayless because he doesn't have the little bit of PG skills Bayless has and is only slightly taller. He is a chucker. BUST

Alexander is an athletic freak that I really like, but he isn't going to be anything great. Role Player.

Augustine was born to be a second string PG, and he actually fits in perfectly in that role. Good decisision making guy, little short, but still not your main PG. He will be hell of a role player and could contribute to a good team, but he is in no way a star player. Role Player

Beasley, Rose, and Mayo were sure things. Everything else in the draft is hit or miss. It'll take time to see where people land.

Paul1355

All Star
Lol. My brain just stopped working?

Summer League isn't anything.

Bayless is a tweener. He'll put up 15ppg but never amount to anything or contribute to a winning team. Role Player

Love is a great skill and fundamental guy, but he isn't athletic enough to be a major player in the NBA. Role Player

Gordon is more of a tweener than Bayless because he doesn't have the little bit of PG skills Bayless has and is only slightly taller. He is a chucker. BUST

Alexander is an athletic freak that I really like, but he isn't going to be anything great. Role Player.

Augustine was born to be a second string PG, and he actually fits in perfectly in that role. Good decisision making guy, little short, but still not your main PG. He will be hell of a role player and could contribute to a good team, but he is in no way a star player. Role Player

Beasley, Rose, and Mayo were sure things. Everything else in the draft is hit or miss. It'll take time to see where people land.

You really dont think these guys have potential? I differ with that. Love looks likes a guy that can average double double's in his career. An offensive post/rebounder with good passing skills. And Bayless will thrive in Portland. A young quick team with loads of talent and now Bayless is there? Watch out for Portland. Bayless will be a good scorer, summer leauge isn't pro, but 30 ppg every game is making a statement. And that statement is that this guy has some offensive game.

Also these guy are very young...ranging from 19-23 most of them. They have a lot of time to develope, this class of players will be an impact in a few years, as of now...no they are too young.

I think Gordon could be a sleeper.
I agree that Alexander will be an athletic role player type.
I think Love will be like a David Lee type.
I think Augustine can be a good leader on the floor averaging many assist per game but not big on the points. Like an Andre Miller type of PG.
I think Bayless will be a good scoring PG in his career, putting up over 16 or 17 ppg every year with a few assist. This guy made a solid first impression.

Also watch out for that guy from the Cavaliers, JJ Hickson. He looks like a Wilson Chandler type of sleeper.

To say these guys are tweeners is an under statement. Who's that guy that was drafted 12th by the Kings, a no name guy, Jason Thompson? He was a tweener to many and look what spot he landed.

TunerAddict

Starter
You really dont think these guys have potential? I differ with that. Love looks likes a guy that can average double double's in his career. An offensive post/rebounder with good passing skills. And Bayless will thrive in Portland. A young quick team with loads of talent and now Bayless is there? Watch out for Portland. Bayless will be a good scorer, summer leauge isn't pro, but 30 ppg every game is making a statement. And that statement is that this guy has some offensive game.

Also these guy are very young...ranging from 19-23 most of them. They have a lot of time to develope, this class of players will be an impact in a few years, as of now...no they are too young.

I think Gordon could be a sleeper.
I agree that Alexander will be an athletic role player type.
I think Love will be like a David Lee type.
I think Augustine can be a good leader on the floor averaging many assist per game but not big on the points. Like an Andre Miller type of PG.
I think Bayless will be a good scoring PG in his career, putting up over 16 or 17 ppg every year with a few assist. This guy made a solid first impression.

Also watch out for that guy from the Cavaliers, JJ Hickson. He looks like a Wilson Chandler type of sleeper.

To say these guys are tweeners is an under statement. Who's that guy that was drafted 12th by the Kings, a no name guy, Jason Thompson? He was a tweener to many and look what spot he landed.

Jason Thompson isn't a tweener. A tweener is a guy who isn't tall enough to play the position his skill set places him at, thus hes stuck at one that he isn't best suited to play, a la allen iverson at PG when he should be SG.

I actually think Jason Thompson could be a decent role player.

portega1968

El Cacique
next topic: Who thinks we should have not traded Renaldo Balkman?

or how about "who thinks we should have not drafted Mardy Collins?"

Give me a break people, this is like crying over spilled milk. Gallo's here and we should back him unless he shows himself not worthy.

Paul1355

All Star
next topic: Who thinks we should have not traded Renaldo Balkman?

or how about "who thinks we should have not drafted Mardy Collins?"

Give me a break people, this is like crying over spilled milk. Gallo's here and we should back him unless he shows himself not worthy.

This was discussed in many threads....dont start this up again.

Kiyaman

Legend
If the Knicks would have selected Bayless or Gordon in the draft they would not be going through all this controversy with Marbury. Or need to sign FA Duhorn.

Selecting another Foward in the draft was not a need or a want on this team.

This is why the hiring of Dantoni was the worst move for this team, he blew our chances at getting a young star guard, and he selects a player that is a backup to 2nd season Chandler and wont be able to backup Lee for another two seasons.

How many Owners in Sports would buy-out a one year contract worth $21 million dollars? none to this day.
So why hire a coach inwhich your highest paid player had bad history with.

And people wondered why John Starks was the Top candidate for the Knicks Head Coaching job.
Rick Carlylse would've been a better coach but he dont want to have anything to do with Walsh again.

jimkcchief88

All Star
We didn't need to move up at all. We should have drafted the best PG availible at our 6th pick and been done. Then we could have moved Steph and gone on with our lives. Instead we draft the "next big thing" from Europe like we didn't learn anything from the Fredric Weiss debacle from several years ago when we originally passed on Artest. I think that was blatent nepotism to pick "The Big Cock" as D'antoni and the cock's father are such good buddies. I know I am a little behind on the news but it sounds like the cock wasn't even durable enough to make it through summer league play. When are we gonna learn that most Euro-league players are not tough enough physically to make it in the NBA. Before you bring up Ginoballi, he is from Brazil and so is Nocioni, which to me makes a difference. Please no more overhyped, soft European players please.

Paul1355

All Star
If the Knicks would have selected Bayless or Gordon in the draft they would not be going through all this controversy with Marbury. Or need to sign FA Duhorn.

Selecting another Foward in the draft was not a need or a want on this team.

This is why the hiring of Dantoni was the worst move for this team, he blew our chances at getting a young star guard, and he selects a player that is a backup to 2nd season Chandler and wont be able to backup Lee for another two seasons.

How many Owners in Sports would buy-out a one year contract worth $21 million dollars? none to this day.
So why hire a coach inwhich your highest paid player had bad history with.

And people wondered why John Starks was the Top candidate for the Knicks Head Coaching job.
Rick Carlylse would've been a better coach but he dont want to have anything to do with Walsh again.

Kiya, Mike D'Antoni was the best move in front of Avery Johnson. What was our biggest problem last year? Chemistry....and Mike D stresses that the most. With Chemistry this team can win more games than you think. Problem is we had none of it from Isiah Thomas.

I agree that we should have gotten a young star...I was all for Bayless but Gallinari impressed too many people and was the top Euro prospect in the World along with being a leader for his team in Milan. He has a stronger reputation which got him the #6 spot and I think they are the same age.
Bayless is not a defensive stopper like Duhon. With Gallo and Duhon we are spending more money but getting a good shooter and a good defender instead of an offensive point guard in Bayless.

About the coaching...John Starks?...you think that we can bank all of our hopes on a guy who has never coached before? That would be the RISKIEST MOVE EVER. We have suffered year after year with losing and you want to throw in a rookie coach to save the franchise? NY fans would have a fit. Yes he is well liked....AS A PLAYER. Walt Frazier would be a better coach, no joke. He at least spots talent in guys like Wilson Chandler before they ever break out. And he has been stressing defense on this team for years. Frazier has more say than Starks does for a coaching spot. Even Patrick Ewing has more say being that he coached Dwight Howard and made him a better big man in Orlando. Showing that Ewing can teach players to play better.

Mike D'Antoni was the coach of the Olympic team; he has the reputation and the knowledge to possibly put us back on track in a few years. John Starks is a big question mark. I don't know about Rick Carlyle, all I know is about Mike D and his approach to the game is the complete opposite of Isiah. And that's the kind of coach we need and I'm glad we have him.

Last edited:

TunerAddict

Starter
We didn't need to move up at all. We should have drafted the best PG availible at our 6th pick and been done. Then we could have moved Steph and gone on with our lives. Instead we draft the "next big thing" from Europe like we didn't learn anything from the Fredric Weiss debacle from several years ago when we originally passed on Artest. I think that was blatent nepotism to pick "The Big Cock" as D'antoni and the cock's father are such good buddies. I know I am a little behind on the news but it sounds like the cock wasn't even durable enough to make it through summer league play. When are we gonna learn that most Euro-league players are not tough enough physically to make it in the NBA. Before you bring up Ginoballi, he is from Brazil and so is Nocioni, which to me makes a difference. Please no more overhyped, soft European players please.

They are from Argentina....Big difference.

metrocard

Legend

How many times you repeated this and were made look like a fool out of it?

Manu Ginobili and Nicioni are Brazilian?

Shows your knowledge of international ball.

Remain ignorant.