Who is our best young player?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
:gony: Like most of you on this Forum I like the moves the Knicks org has made recently. The talent level that we have on this team is exciting to me.

The reason we are in the position we are now, as a promising young team, is because Donnie Walsh is a great GM. Say whatever you want about Isiah, but when he was coaching the Pacers, Walsh was the guy directing player moves. W the team he constructed, Isiah took them to the playoffs 3 straight years. That says something about what kind of GM Walsh is:

He later took a position as general manager with the Pacers, where in 1987 he made the then-controversial decision to select Reggie Miller in the NBA Draft over local hero Steve Alford of Indiana University. The decision later proved to be brilliant, as Miller had a magnificent NBA career where as Alford was a bust in the pros. He was later promoted to the position of CEO and president and held that position until shortly before the end of the 2007–08 season. During Walsh's tenure the Pacers reached the playoffs in 16 of the previous 17 years heading into the 2006–07 season.

Walsh years in Indiana were extremely successful if you judge teams by how often they make the playoffs. Championships?? Well, we all know he hasn't been a part of a Championship team yet, but the Knicks are rebuilding and he is the perfect guy to do this as we've seen our team get under the cap, bring in a 5 time All Star and add nice pieces while steadily cultivating home grow talent.

Having said all of that, I think it is important to quantify exactly what we have. I think the selection of Gallo 6th in the 2008 draft is comparable to the pick of Miller in 87'. Both are sharp shooters. Both are smart and tenacious. Gallo is taller however, a better ball-handler already and I think will end up being the better defender. For those of you who doubt my assessments of him as a ball-handler lets flash back to the summer league, his first taste of American pro talent, where he, "showed off his ball handling skills by executing a "Shammgod" dribble move in order to beat his defender to the basket and draw a foul" (incidentally, on said foul he incurred the infamous back injury that has stunted his progress somewhat). If you haven't seen it go to You Tube and bring yourself up to speed. How many 6'10' guys can you think of that have that kind of skill off the dribble?? The answer is not many..

He is the best shooter we've had since Allan Houston (also a pure shooter), but I think he has the chance to be in Reggie Miller's class in this area. Combine this potential w his gifts of height, mental toughness and other the skills I've already mentioned and this is why I'm so high on him.

Obviously STAT is somewhat young, but he's already an all-star so let’s not include him as most of us can agree that he's our best player overall. The rest of our players are fair game for comparison and discussion.

The pick of Gallo at 6 could end up being pure genius on the part of Walsh. I think he is our best young player and will be a perrenial All-Star.

Last edited:

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I truly believe it is Gallo and it kinda irks me when people say he was chosen cause of his ties to Coach. Crap like that doesn't happen in the NBA... especially with the #6 pick. I'm just hoping he's working on his game cause I haven't heard a thing since the season ended.

I truly believe it is Gallo and it kinda irks me when people say he was chosen cause of his ties to Coach. Crap like that doesn't happen in the NBA... especially with the #6 pick. I'm just hoping he's working on his game cause I haven't heard a thing since the season ended.

hes doing all his stuff in italy so for all we know he could have turned into the next big thing already! hes doing a camp for italian kids over there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPvieRpdk-A
(heres a video link to an Italian news story about it)

I Swear he reminds me of the Bad Guy from Ricky Bobby in the Vid LOL!

Gotta Love DG8! its nice to see him giving back to his community.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Hope you guys are right bout' AR

Here something interesting I saw on a G State forum from a disgruntled Warriors fan on Randolph:

Randolph looks like he’s about to cry every time he’s on the court. Sure, he makes a few exciting plays, but he also makes a lot of exciting fouls, leaping randomly into a crowd when he has no chance at the ball. I like his energy, and I’m not saying he can’t be a good player if he learns to harness it. But right now, he’s immature, injury prone, and not productive. Also, people talk about how amazing his upside is and then compare him to Lamar Odom. Lamar Odom is a bench players who married the ugly Kardashian sister. If we miss out on that kind of upside, what ever will we do?

A pure question mark is not a big value. Elite talent shows it within 2 years of entering the league. Randolph is not an elite talent. Per minute stats are useless. Ike Diogu had great per minute stats (ask John Hollinger about it). Greg Oden has some pretty good per minute stats too, but he can’t stay on the floor because of injuries and fouls. He’s not an impact player, and he’s better than Randolph.

Last edited:
hes doing all his stuff in italy so for all we know he could have turned into the next big thing already! hes doing a camp for italian kids over there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPvieRpdk-A
(heres a video link to an Italian news story about it)

I Swear he reminds me of the Bad Guy from Ricky Bobby in the Vid LOL!

Gotta Love DG8! its nice to see him giving back to his community.

Also anyone here speak Italian? if do tell us what Gallinari is saying!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Here something interesting I saw on a G State forum from a disgruntled Warriors fan on Randolph:

Randolph looks like he?s about to cry every time he?s on the court. Sure, he makes a few exciting plays, but he also makes a lot of exciting fouls, leaping randomly into a crowd when he has no chance at the ball. I like his energy, and I?m not saying he can?t be a good player if he learns to harness it. But right now, he?s immature, injury prone, and not productive. Also, people talk about how amazing his upside is and then compare him to Lamar Odom. Lamar Odom is a bench players who married the ugly Kardashian sister. If we miss out on that kind of upside, what ever will we do?

A pure question mark is not a big value. Elite talent shows it within 2 years of entering the league. Randolph is not an elite talent. Per minute stats are useless. Ike Diogu had great per minute stats (ask John Hollinger about it). Greg Oden has some pretty good per minute stats too, but he can?t stay on the floor because of injuries and fouls. He?s not an impact player, and he?s better than Randolph.

The guy claims elite talent shows it within 2 years of entering the league. He ignores the following things:

1. Randolph was in Nellie's doghouse for a long time.
2. It wasn't until Joe Johnson's 4th season that he scored more than 10 PPG. Now he's an all-star. Do I need to keep going on? Let's see. Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki...these are all players who took until their 3rd or 4th year to really blossom as stars, and now they're amongst the best in the league (with the exception of T-Mac who at his prime was the best player in basketball).

Give him a chance and some consistent playing time for once before judging him, I'd say to the guy.

Aristoteles

Benchwarmer
I am Italian but if i try to see this video i see a message error. please reset the link
Ok... OMG
He starts to speak about Italian team and he say that he'd like to play for his nation only in one year. He said he like his national team.
Then he spek about the fact that he only wants to go "in the hearth of NewYorkers" and he thinks that for this he should noly try to use his hearth during matches.
In the end HE Said that mike told him HE MUST BECOME THE LEADER OF THE ROSTER. And he fell himself ready to make this position in the franchise.
Sorry for my bad English.
I have a question
i'll stay in toronto for a job and obviously i want to see bargs vs my favourite team with Gallo... what's the best site which i can book my tickets?
thanks to all and go gogogogogo Knicks

Aristoteles

Benchwarmer
Ok... OMG
He starts to speak about Italian team and he say that he'd like to play for his nation only in one year. He said he like his national team.
Then he spek about the fact that he only wants to go "in the hearth of NewYorkers" and he thinks that for this he should noly try to use his hearth during matches.
In the end HE Said that mike told him HE MUST BECOME THE LEADER OF THE ROSTER. And he fell himself ready to make this position in the franchise.
I have a question
i'll stay in toronto for a job and obviously i want to see bargs vs my favourite team with Gallo... what's the best site which i can book my tickets?
If someone wants to know something more specific i am here. No problem...

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Ok... OMG
I have a question

I think Gallo's got the game and the nuts to do be the leader of the Knicks~! :thumbsup: Kudos to D'ant for getting this message across.

New New York

Quiet Storm
statistically speaking Randolph has out performed Gallo when you consider Gallo plays about 12 minutes more (a full quater of a game) and averages just 3 more points they average the same amount of assist and Randolph rebounds and blocks significantly more than Gallo. Not to mention Randolph is a better overall shooter from the feild

So the nod has to go to Randolph

and again statistically speaking Wilson outplayed Gallo last season as well, with Gallo only shooting better from 3 and the FT line then Wilson

so I rank them as follows

1.Randolph
2.Wilson
3.Felton (has the potential to do more very well)
4.Gallo

I know Gallo has a lot of fans on this site, but he has not shown me anything outside of being a good shooter (at times) until Gallo begins taking the ball to the rack and posting up he is very one demensional to me.

Paul1355

All Star
:gony: Like most of you on this Forum I like the moves the Knicks org has made recently. The talent level that we have on this team is exciting to me.

The reason we are in the position we are now, as a promising young team, is because Walsh is a great GM. Say whatever you want about Isiah, but when he was coaching the Pacers, Walsh was the guy directing player moves. W the team he constructed, Isiah took them to the playoffs 3 straight years. That says something about what kind of GM Walsh is:

He later took a position as general manager with the Pacers, where in 1987 he made the then-controversial decision to select Reggie Miller in the NBA Draft over local hero Steve Alford of Indiana University. The decision later proved to be brilliant, as Miller had a magnificent NBA career where as Alford was a bust in the pros. He was later promoted to the position of CEO and president and held that position until shortly before the end of the 2007?08 season. During Walsh's tenure the Pacers reached the playoffs in 16 of the previous 17 years heading into the 2006?07 season.

Walsh years in Indiana were extremely successful if you judge teams by how often they make the playoffs. Championships?? Well, we all know he hasn't been a part of a Championship team yet, but the Knicks are rebuilding and he is the perfect guy to do this as we've seen our team get under the cap, bring in a 5 time All Star and add nice pieces while steadily cultivating home grow talent.

Having said all of that, I think it is important to quantify exactly what we have. I think the selection of Gallo 6th in the 2008 draft is comparable to the pick of Miller in 87'. Both are sharp shooters. Both are smart and tenacious. Gallo is taller however, a better ball-handler already and I think will end up being the better defender. For those of you who doubt my assessments of him as a ball-handler lets flash back to the summer league, his first taste of American pro talent, where he, "showed off his ball handling skills by executing a "Shammgod" dribble move in order to beat his defender to the basket and draw a foul" (incidentally, on said foul he incurred the infamous back injury that has stunted his progress somewhat). If you haven't seen it go to You Tube and bring yourself up to speed. How many 6'10' guys can you think of that have that kind of skill off the dribble?? The answer is not many..

He is the best shooter we've had since Allan Houston (also a pure shooter), but I think he has the chance to be in Reggie Miller's class in this area. Combine this potential w his gifts of height, mental toughness and other the skills I've already mentioned and this is why I'm so high on him.

Obviously STAT is somewhat young, but he's already an all-star so let?s not include him as most of us can agree that he's our best player overall. The rest of our players are fair game for comparison and discussion.

The pick of Gallo at 6 could end up being pure genius on the part of Walsh. I think he is our best young player and will be a perrenial All-Star.
Anthony Randolph because of his unique size, athleticism and ball handling for a 7 footer. And because he can be a force on both ends of the floor....

Gallo comes in at a close 2nd, but if Gallo doesn't play more aggressive and drive to the hoop to draw fouls, he will always be Andrea Bargani

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
statistically speaking Randolph has out performed Gallo when you consider Gallo plays about 12 minutes more (a full quater of a game) and averages just 3 more points they average the same amount of assist and Randolph rebounds and blocks significantly more than Gallo. Not to mention Randolph is a better overall shooter from the feild

So the nod has to go to Randolph

and again statistically speaking Wilson outplayed Gallo last season as well, with Gallo only shooting better from 3 and the FT line then Wilson

so I rank them as follows

1.Randolph
2.Wilson
3.Felton (has the potential to do more very well)
4.Gallo

I know Gallo has a lot of fans on this site, but he has not shown me anything outside of being a good shooter (at times) until Gallo begins taking the ball to the rack and posting up he is very one demensional to me.

How can you say that Weedson is better than Gallo when they had near identical ppg averages for the 09'-10' season. This is inspite of the fact that Weedson should be a year more advanced than Gallo due to him being out with the back injury for most of 08'-09'. Weedson also averaged 2 more minutes per game than Gallo. Shouldn't that translate into a bit more production too?

The reason Weedson's FG % is higher is because Gallo shoots alot of threes and he was streaky due to it being his first full season. Also Gallo played in more games and therefore had more attempts, which will generally effect one's FG% too. I'd like to see Weedson's percentage after 81 games and as many attempts.

Weedson's numbers:

Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
09-10 NYK 65 64 35.7 0.479 0.267 0.806 1.4 3.9 5.4 2.1 0.7 0.8 1.7 2.8 15.3

Gallo's:

09-10 NYK 81 74 33.9 0.423 0.381 0.818 0.8 4.1 4.9 1.7 0.9 0.7 1.4 2.4 15.1

And on Randolph, the man has talent, but can't stay on the floor because he's dumb (low court IQ), can't guard anyone and he's foul prone. That's the reason Gallo played 12 more minutes than AR. And again, that sample you mentioned was from 33 games. Yeah, that's all AR actually played in.. Gallo played in all but one game last season, so maybe you shouldn't use that example.

If Randolph is that talented how come he played himself off of the court in G State? I f he was so good he should of been given more minutes. The reason is because he has holes in his game, make him a liability if he's on the court for too long. Like Clyde says he's enigmatic. If he continues this trend he'll be in Coach D's doghouse too.

Just because you have some talent it doesn't make you a starter, just ask Nate..

Last edited:

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
The guy claims elite talent shows it within 2 years of entering the league. He ignores the following things:

2. It wasn't until Joe Johnson's 4th season that he scored more than 10 PPG. Now he's an all-star. Do I need to keep going on? Let's see. Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki...these are all players who took until their 3rd or 4th year to really blossom as stars, and now they're amongst the best in the league (with the exception of T-Mac who at his prime was the best player in basketball).

Give him a chance and some consistent playing time for once before judging him, I'd say to the guy.

Terrific post. Couldn't agree more.

As for our best young player, most of us recognize that it's obviously either Gallo or Randolph. Both players arguably have all-star potential. For my money, Randolph clearly has more upside than Gallo but Gallo is probably the "safer" bet to realize his full potential. Personally, if he works hard, I think Anthony Randolph is going to be a perennial all-star. Gallo is a guy who will almost definately be a "very good player" but I'm not sold that he'll ever be "great". If I had to choose, I'd go with Randolph, while fully acknowledging that with his great potential comes an increased risk of him being a bust.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

Excuse me, but at which point of T-Mac's career was he as good as, or better than Kobe? Duncan?? Shaq? That's ridiculous..

Answer: He was never better than any of those guys. But I digress.

Last edited: