PG Problem for 2010

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Paul comes off the books potentially in 2011. So...they would only have to wait one year.

2nd of all: I don't think Minnesota is all that excited about the possibility of Wall. You're forgetting that they still have Rubio's draft rights...He ALSO is a guy who puts "fans in the stands". Not to mention they have Johnny Flynn. If we can get a deal done with Minnesota on Draft night that would be huge. And although its farfetched, could possibly happen. We have two of the most impressive bargaining chips for next year (Curry and Jeffries) and I think Minnesota would like to have that kind of cap space considering they have Flynn and Rubio

I understand where your coming from, but I still maintain theres zero chance. If Minny feels Wall could land in there laps, they'd either trade Rubio's rights or move Flynn. I'm sure even Kahn isn't that retarted to let someone of his caliber move on if they have a shot at getting him. So if Minny does get the first pick, I think that's when Donnie tries to pry Rubio or Flynn away from them.

ANU

Starter
John Wall is more unlikely to be traded than Cp3 folks. Don't even think about that. We had a shot at a savior and Rubio and failed. We have NO shot at John Wall. I repeat, zero chance.
anybody in this league can be had.anybody.it all depends on what you're willing to give up in return.if we want rubio, all we have to give up is gallo chandler.is it worth it?i don't know.

dave2138

Rotation player
So you're telling me the Hornets/Nets/T-Wolves wouldn't trade their 1st round pick (that may not even be the 1st overall pick!!) for a core of Chandler, Lee (expiring contract), Nate (expiring contract) and Jeffries? If I'm the T-Wolves, I bite on this immediately. The Knicks would have to take on a maximum of 1 bad contract from the T-Wolves (all of the scrubs are set to expire this year anyway so it would be someone useful possibly) and would in return would get a shot at wall. IF we don't get the 1st overall pick we're still looking at a top-heavy portion of PG's in this years draft. The PG talent is NOT deep by any means, but we'd have a legit chance at Wall and as a consolation could pick up Willie Warren if Wall is taken. Not to mention we'd save extra crash in our pursuit of a big time player in 2011.

PG- Wall/Warren/Douglas
SG- Gallo
SF- Melo
PF- ???
C- Hill

I doubt Minnesota will trade their pick knowing that they still owe the Clippers their 1st round pick in either 2011 or 2012.

The only way I see the Knicks getting Wall is if they made a trade with 1 of the West teams competing for a playoff spot like the Thunder...maybe David Lee -> Matt Harpring + 2010 1st round pick. Then the Knicks would have a .05% chance or whatever it is at the #1 pick..But I agree definitely no way they could pull off a trade with one of the teams actually competing for better odds at the #1 pick...NJ, Minnesota, Golden State.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Even if we get LeBron, How do we solve our problem at PG????

The only players I can think of are:

Raymond Felton: He becomes a free agent in 2010 and hopefully we can get him for about 6-9 million

Jarryd Bayless: We would need to trade for him after the summer of 2010, but he would be a super nice fit for us

Chris Duhon?: That would honestly suck to bring him back, but I guess it would be worth another shot if we can't get anyone else to come play in NY with LeBron.

And if we don't get LeBron...shouldn't Chris Paul be plan B?

Thoughts?

Well, Hughes played point and him and Lebron went to the finals.
Not long ago, people have a short memory and Hughes is only 30.
Duhon?

The problem is, Duhon has worse stats then Hughes, and Robinson, why does the press let this go? It would frustrate any player to see also in the press that the coach state, "He is my favorite player", NEW YORK PAPER, and "Lee is coming close" (Lee I can agree with) but Duhon has started 41/41 games, does not average 9 points, has been shut out 2-3 games, and all with a couple of exceptions or 32-35 minutes. There is no worse PG in the NBA? Hughes was responsible for getting the team out of their terrible start. Hughes was leading the NBA in steals in December when playing, Hughes has better 2 pt shooting percentage, less 3pt, but will average 31-32 if you play him. Also leads in rebounds, steals, and is a way better defender. At 30, he still can cover the passing lanes, this means you have speed, Duhon does not have it, never did. Hughes is 6. foot 5 (true height), Duhon, 6' 1"?. Hughes and Robinson or Douglas have no idea if or when they will play. Duhon knows, I play everynight. I start every night. I play 30 plus minutes, even if I do not score a single basket, I start the next game.
Head Games, Fair Play, sorry, I agree with Robinsons agent (D'Ant gave up wins sitting him for a month and they may be the win or two that gave the Knicks the 8th spot). Hughes took Cleveland to the finals playing point.

Looks like everyone in New York loves Duhon, am I missing a stat? I have seen 5-6 turnovers and 4 point games? Start the next night, another 30 plus minutes. Must be sweet to be that crappy and start on the Knicks for a year. The guy has never, ever averaged double digit points in a season!
Hughes stats this year, and he has been jerked since the start of the season, are similar to the last 11 years and they are better than Duhon.
Robinson has way better stats and plays better defense.
Douglas could get there, but he is a nervous rookie, but doesn't deserve to look at this point guard every night. Also (I have been or watched every game, Duhon if Hughes is playing the 2 position (his natural position) rarely will pass to him.

Who will want to come to New York in 2010 and be treated like Curry was, like Marbury, like Robinson, like Hughes, like Hill (when you picked him a player number 8, he should be contributing on one of the 8 worst teams in the league? How many top 10 picks have more playing time than Hill? Either you screwed up your pick or your treating your top choice like crap (he has six years of organized B-Ball experience and needs it bad)
Who will come in 2010, Nobody. 29 other teams are going to look a bit more appealing and a chance for more than just getting spot number 8.:afro:

dave2138

Rotation player
As for PG solutions...what about Baron Davis? I know he is overpaid and declining, but still is a realistic option because I'm sure the Clippers would like to get rid of him.

What about this 3 team trade:

Knicks get: Baron Davis

Clippers get: Devon Harris, Clippers 2nd round pick (Knicks currently own)

Nets get: Clippers 1st round pick, Eddy Curry, Knicks 2nd round pick

- Clippers save on average 5 mil/year and get a younger, more healthier from going from Davis -> Harris at the cost of their 1st round pick which should be no higher than #10.

- Nets get even more cap space and replace Harris with Wall if they get the #1 pick.

- Knicks take on a bad contract in Davis, but still fills a hole and at a cost of only 4 mil more for 2010.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Well, Hughes played point and him and Lebron went to the finals.
Not long ago, people have a short memory and Hughes is only 30.
Duhon?

The problem is, Duhon has worse stats then Hughes, and Robinson, why does the press let this go? It would frustrate any player to see also in the press that the coach state, "He is my favorite player", NEW YORK PAPER, and "Lee is coming close" (Lee I can agree with) but Duhon has started 41/41 games, does not average 9 points, has been shut out 2-3 games, and all with a couple of exceptions or 32-35 minutes. There is no worse PG in the NBA? Hughes was responsible for getting the team out of their terrible start. Hughes was leading the NBA in steals in December when playing, Hughes has better 2 pt shooting percentage, less 3pt, but will average 31-32 if you play him. Also leads in rebounds, steals, and is a way better defender. At 30, he still can cover the passing lanes, this means you have speed, Duhon does not have it, never did. Hughes is 6. foot 5 (true height), Duhon, 6' 1"?. Hughes and Robinson or Douglas have no idea if or when they will play. Duhon knows, I play everynight. I start every night. I play 30 plus minutes, even if I do not score a single basket, I start the next game.
Head Games, Fair Play, sorry, I agree with Robinsons agent (D'Ant gave up wins sitting him for a month and they may be the win or two that gave the Knicks the 8th spot). Hughes took Cleveland to the finals playing point.

Looks like everyone in New York loves Duhon, am I missing a stat? I have seen 5-6 turnovers and 4 point games? Start the next night, another 30 plus minutes. Must be sweet to be that crappy and start on the Knicks for a year. The guy has never, ever averaged double digit points in a season!
Hughes stats this year, and he has been jerked since the start of the season, are similar to the last 11 years and they are better than Duhon.
Robinson has way better stats and plays better defense.
Douglas could get there, but he is a nervous rookie, but doesn't deserve to look at this point guard every night. Also (I have been or watched every game, Duhon if Hughes is playing the 2 position (his natural position) rarely will pass to him.

Who will want to come to New York in 2010 and be treated like Curry was, like Marbury, like Robinson, like Hughes, like Hill (when you picked him a player number 8, he should be contributing on one of the 8 worst teams in the league? How many top 10 picks have more playing time than Hill? Either you screwed up your pick or your treating your top choice like crap (he has six years of organized B-Ball experience and needs it bad)
Who will come in 2010, Nobody. 29 other teams are going to look a bit more appealing and a chance for more than just getting spot number 8.:afro:
I feel kind of bad that you posted that entire thing about Hughes. Hughes wasn't the point guard on LeBron's finals squad (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2007_start.html). Eric Snow was. Hughes won't be an option for a long term point guard. Only 30? Hate to break it to you, but for a team in route to a long rebuilding process, 30 ain't lookin' to young. To be honest, I like the idea of Rubio still. I just hope we don't have to part with Gallo. I like the Euro combination of Gallo and Rubio, but i'm sure that jackass Kahn will ask for both Chandler and Gallo. Oh well, we'll have options I'm sure but I just DO NOT want to be stuck with Duhomo any longer...

jrdrny

Benchwarmer
As for PG solutions...what about Baron Davis? I know he is overpaid and declining, but still is a realistic option because I'm sure the Clippers would like to get rid of him.

- Clippers save on average 5 mil/year and get a younger, more healthier from going from Davis -> Harris at the cost of their 1st round pick which should be no higher than #10.

- Nets get even more cap space and replace Harris with Wall if they get the #1 pick.

- Knicks take on a bad contract in Davis, but still fills a hole and at a cost of only 4 mil more for 2010.
idont think the nets will take it cuz lopez and yi and doing good for them

jrdrny

Benchwarmer

i dont think the nets will take it cuz lopez and yi and doing good for them

dpryde

Benchwarmer

I wouldn't mind B-Diddy. But would those Clips really trade B-Diddy and a first round pick just for an injury prone Devin Harris? Right now the Baron>>>Harris.

dave2138

Rotation player
yeah I agree right now Davis > Harris, but both are signed for 3 more seasons after this. Harris age 27 at 9 mil/year seems more valuable than Davis age 31 14 mil/year in my opinion.

Clippers don't really have any holes either that they would fill with the 11th pick in the draft. C, PF and SG are fine plus they have 20 mil in cap space to spend on bench/SF help this off season.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
If we get Lebron, why not start him at PG? He likes to dominate the ball anyway and would cause horrific match up problems for opposing teams:

PG- Lebron
SG- Chandler
SF- Harrington
PF- Gallo
C- Lee

(That's if we only get Lebron and resign Lee in the off season)

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
He would be really, really productive at the point, but as the leagues best fast break player, wouldn't you prefer him on one wing and Chandler (potentially) on the other with a skilled point guard in the middle?

I think keeping him in positions 3 & 4 is better for that reason and also for the sake of rebounding and shot blocking/altering.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
He would be really, really productive at the point, but as the leagues best fast break player, wouldn't you prefer him on one wing and Chandler (potentially) on the other with a skilled point guard in the middle?

I think keeping him in positions 3 & 4 is better for that reason and also for the sake of rebounding and shot blocking/altering.

This is only till 2011 when we have more cap space and options to acquire a PG. It's not ideal but it does address the PG problem.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
That's a good point, but isn't it the common ideal to have a team ready for James?

A table fit for a King?

Considering Danny Ferry's "bend over and take it" approach to Lebron's every desire, why would LBJ accept any less servitude from Donnie Walsh?

Not saying I'm right.... Just suffering from an acute case of LBJ paranoia. I really would LOVE to have James carry us to the playoffs in just over a year from now.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
That's a good point, but isn't it the common ideal to have a team ready for James?

A table fit for a King?

Considering Danny Ferry's "bend over and take it" approach to Lebron's every desire, why would LBJ accept any less servitude from Donnie Walsh?

Not saying I'm right.... Just suffering from an acute case of LBJ paranoia. I really would LOVE to have James carry us to the playoffs in just over a year from now.

Lebron knows the Knicks will pay the luxury tax and go over the cap to win. He also knows we will have more cap space next year and reinforcements will be coming soon. Further once we acquire a James caliber player many veterans will want to come to NYC for a chance to ride his coattails to glory. (think Artest in LA)

Lets also remember that Knicks +James > Cavs + James

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
Well, that is kind of assuming that other teams don't offer a certified contender straight up. And waiting a year can't be preferable for him. Dwayne Wade's still got what he hasn't. I'm sure he recalls that daily.

Wish I shared your optimism.

But at least Hoop Mecha adds a lot of incentive. Anything achieved in NY is amplified 100 fold as opposed to anywhere else bar LA. Never mind the availability of endorsements.

Still, if I were Donnie, assumptions of that caliber wouldn't have me shrugging off my insecurities.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
And isn't the whole "exceeding the cap" highly circumstantial?

We have to renounce our bird rights for Lee and Nate?

Is that right?