PG Problem for 2010

jimkcchief88

All Star
let me ask you a question; you're rod thorn, and you win the nba lottery, who will you take with the first pick? john wall or derrick favors?

Not qualified to say as of yet. I saw Wall early this season against Connecticut and he looked pretty good. My first take is Wall is very athletic and super speedy from end to end, but his jumper is broken. Wall needs to work on that because at the next level he won't be able to just blow by everyone without a respectable jumper.

Not sure about Favors yet, haven't a chance to see GT play yet. Get back to me after the conference tourneys and March Madness. My first take is to grab the big because you can't coach size. But you can't coach athletism either so that why I say it depends on your teams individual needs. I think BPA drafting works better in football because you have so many positions to fill you can stock up on atheletes that can change positions. In hoops however, its like a hand. You can't have all thumbs, pinkies.......

Last edited:

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Not qualified to say as of yet. I saw Wall early this season against Connecticut and he looked pretty good. My first take is Wall is very athletic and super speedy from end to end, but his jumper is broken. Wall needs to work on that because at the next level he won't be able to just blow by everyone without a respectable jumper.

Not sure about Favors yet, haven't a chance to GT play yet. Get back to me after the conference tourneys and March Madness. My first take is to grab the big because you can't coach size. But you can't coach athletism either so that why I say it depends on your teams individual needs. I think BPA drafting works better in football because you have so many positions to fill you can stock up on atheletes that can change positions. In hoops however, its like a hand. You can't have all thumbs, pinkies.......

I love the hand analogy, right now the knicks would have plenty of middle fingers to throw at the opposition!

ANU

Starter

Not sure about Favors yet, haven't a chance to see GT play yet. Get back to me after the conference tourneys and March Madness. My first take is to grab the big because you can't coach size. But you can't coach athletism either so that why I say it depends on your teams individual needs. I think BPA drafting works better in football because you have so many positions to fill you can stock up on atheletes that can change positions. In hoops however, its like a hand. You can't have all thumbs, pinkies.......
so, you have to see more of favors to determine who is the better player, when wall is the consensus 1, and the nets have a point guard?

Paul1355

All Star
A hint on Lebron James career decision for the next 5 to 6 years....Chicago is a no-no after the Phil Jackson/Jordan era,
the N.J. Nets have to make a huge 360 revolution from the deadline to the draft day, to coaching-staff,
Miami has more posiblility than any other Eastern Conference team,
the strong support of the Dallas, Spurs, and Lakers organization is what Lebron is looking for.....inwhich he gets from the Cleveland Cavs organization now.
The Cavs will make a legal or illegal move this offseason to keep Lebron, and Stern will look the other way.

If the Knicks still have headcoach Dantoni, then Duhon will be resigned.
On draft night alot of PG will be up for trade.

I know your thinking that Dwayne Wade would attract Lebron but that could be like Iverson/Melo part 2....two guys that need the ball that are both great offensively but might not gel or play as well as people will think.

Lebron is an obvious long shot but it still is a possibility.

I hope your wrong about Duhon...his crappy numbers should make Donnie think twice about resigning him

jimkcchief88

All Star
so, you have to see more of favors to determine who is the better player, when wall is the consensus 1, and the nets have a point guard?

I have to see Favors play period. I haven't watched GT play yet. My brother told me Favors is a pretty good PF. But to your point, if the Nets are satisfied with who is running their, why would they draft Wall????

ANU

Starter
I have to see Favors play period. I haven't watched GT play yet. My brother told me Favors is a pretty good PF. But to your point, if the Nets are satisfied with who is running their, why would they draft Wall????

I've come around to your "5 finger theory". i agree with that, but you know you ran into that one.wall is considered the best player in the draft.BPA.he is projected as a pg.the nets have an all star pg.favors a pf, is considered the second best prospect in the draft.why do you need to see favors, if you think BPA is hogwash? shouldn't the nets draft on need(pf)?

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I've come around to your "5 finger theory". i agree with that, but you know you ran into that one.wall is considered the best player in the draft.BPA.he is projected as a pg.the nets have an all star pg.favors a pf, is considered the second best prospect in the draft.why do you need to see favors, if you think BPA is hogwash? shouldn't the nets draft on need(pf)?
I would agree with drafting for need normally. But Wall is RIDICULOUS. You have to watch tape of that 19 assist game he had. He is absolutely incredible. If you are the Nets, you go with the only sure thing in the draft barring injury. You then make Devin Harris available and get a decent wing player (Sign and trade for Rudy Gay?). Then you're looking at lineup of:

PG- Wall
SG- Lee
SF- Gay
PF- Yi
C- Lopez

That team will be pretty damn good.

ANU

Starter
I would agree with drafting for need normally. But Wall is RIDICULOUS. You have to watch tape of that 19 assist game he had. He is absolutely incredible. If you are the Nets, you go with the only sure thing in the draft barring injury. You then make Devin Harris available and get a decent wing player (Sign and trade for Rudy Gay?). Then you're looking at lineup of:

PG- Wall
SG- Lee
SF- Gay
PF- Yi
C- Lopez

That team will be pretty damn good.
I've seen all of kentucky's game but the last one.and as awesome as the 19 assist looks, he's got 2 guys in his frontline projected going in the lotto with him as well.he's not a better pg prospect than rubio.he is more of combo guard to me.he's 6-4 but with his wingspan, being a 6-4 shooting guard will not be a problem.what is awesome about him is his speed an athleticism.its otherworldly.no hyperbole.but he is prone to be out of control when running the break, and he does not have the pg vision that most would expect from a pg whom most assume is the a lock to go 1.he is somwhere between rose and evans who both as of right now, are combo guards.

and if i where the nets, i would go with turner.considering that harris is a scoring pg, evan turner would be ideal for them imo.he is an sg with point guard skills.almost like a brandon roy, joe johnson hybrid.he's a triple double machine.he fits well in the back court with harris.imo a backcourt of harris-turner > wall-lee.wall at this point would not be any different than harris.i like wall for our team because this team needs star power, which he would add instantly, and because this team needs to become more athletic.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I've seen all of kentucky's game but the last one.and as awesome as the 19 assist looks, he's got 2 guys in his frontline projected going in the lotto with him as well.he's not a better pg prospect than rubio.he is more of combo guard to me.he's 6-4 but with his wingspan, being a 6-4 shooting guard will not be a problem.what is awesome about him is his speed an athleticism.its otherworldly.no hyperbole.but he is prone to be out of control when running the break, and he does not have the pg vision that most would expect from a pg whom most assume is the a lock to go 1.he is somwhere between rose and evans who both as of right now, are combo guards.

and if i where the nets, i would go with turner.considering that harris is a scoring pg, evan turner would be ideal for them imo.he is an sg with point guard skills.almost like a brandon roy, joe johnson hybrid.he's a triple double machine.he fits well in the back court with harris.imo a backcourt of harris-turner > wall-lee.wall at this point would not be any different than harris.i like wall for our team because this team needs star power, which he would add instantly, and because this team needs to become more athletic.
I agree with what you're saying about the combo guard, but thats a great ability to have. The ability to run the point and be a scorer is an incredible quality. I think his game is matured past the point of Devin Harris already. And thats a pretty heavy statement considering what Devin has accomplished in this league. If you ask any NBA scout, there is NO way Evan Turner even gets considered as the number one pick. I mean what your saying sounds nice and Evan Turner does have a great set of skills (rebounding and passing at 6'6-6'7) but at the same time, its impossible to pass on the upside of John Wall. The guy has star power and super star potential. For a team looking to make a huge financial transaction in their move to Brooklyn, John Wall is the star power they need to build a franchise around. There is no way they pass that up for Evan Turner or Derek Favors or Ed Davis. No way in hell. I was reading yesterday that a source close to the Hornets associate GM Brian Hagen said that the Hornets would try and move Chris Paul if Wall became available to them. Thats saying something.

I would want wall over just about any free agent this summer barring LeBron and maybe Chris Bosh. But we need STAR power and so does New Jersey, both on the basketball court and in the endorsement market.

metrocard

Legend
Harris is the most overrated player in the league.

If Nets want to be taken seriously.
Trade him.

Build with Wall and Lopez.

Wall
Lee
Williams
Yi
Lopez

6th man
CDR

Can be a playoff team, easy.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Harris is the most overrated player in the league.

If Nets want to be taken seriously.
Trade him.

Build with Wall and Lopez.

Wall
Lee
Williams
Yi
Lopez

6th man
CDR

Can be a playoff team, easy.
Not to mention the kind of player you could bring in with Devin Harris's trade value.

GetRealistic

Starter
John Wall is a once in a decade type talent. He's a game changer from the moment he steps onto the court. He is the number 1 pick in this years draft no matter who lands the pick.

Even if the Jazz were to land the number one pick they'd take Wall. They'd take Wall and trade Deron Williams or find a way to play both at the same time.

Derrick Favors is a nice player with a spotty background who would be a nice consolation prize to the teams that don't get Wall but make no mistake about it John Wall is hands down better then Favors.

Wall is better then Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans (two Calapari point guards) at this point in his college career.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Wall is the next D-Wade. Their game mimic each other. Whatever team Wall lands on, he's going to make a impact right away.

ANU

Starter
I agree with what you're saying about the combo guard, but thats a great ability to have. The ability to run the point and be a scorer is an incredible quality. I think his game is matured past the point of Devin Harris already.And thats a pretty heavy statement considering what Devin has accomplished in this league.
there games are comparable imo.they're about the same size, and the play the same position the same way.

If you ask any NBA scout, there is NO way Evan Turner even gets considered as the number one pick. I mean what your saying sounds nice and Evan Turner does have a great set of skills (rebounding and passing at 6'6-6'7) but at the same time, its impossible to pass on the upside of John Wall. The guy has star power and super star potential. For a team looking to make a huge financial transaction in their move to Brooklyn, John Wall is the star power they need to build a franchise around.There is no way they pass that up for Evan Turner or Derek Favors or Ed Davis. No way in hell.
lets not get carried away here.evan turner is in the discussion along with wall of who is the best player in college basketball.

the buzz for wall is understandable, just like it was for rose; and like rose he was supposed to be a once in a generation point guard, remember? what is he right now? a combo guard.he'll get his dimes, and score his buckets, but he is not looking like the once in a generation pg everyone thought he'd be.andwall is not miles away from turner as a prospect.remember the 2006 draft? all that buzz about bargnani? he was the sexy pick because of his upside. meanwhile, brandon roy drafted 6th, has turned out to be the only all star, and the only franchise player to come out that draft.evan turner along with wall and perhaps aldrich appear to be the only safe picks in this draft.

I was reading yesterday that a source close to the Hornets associate GM Brian Hagen said that the Hornets would try and move Chris Paul if Wall became available to them. Thats saying something.

I would want wall over just about any free agent this summer barring LeBron and maybe Chris Bosh. But we need STAR power and so does New Jersey, both on the basketball court and in the endorsement market.
the hornets would move paul for wall because they are cheapskates.not because he is a better point guard.

ANU

Starter
Wall is the next D-Wade. Their game mimic each other. Whatever team Wall lands on, he's going to make a impact right away.
yup.and like harris too.they both are athletic, explosive, and quick and they both barrel into the ****ing lane like they're going to score a ****ing touchdown. now the difference is, wade is built like a ****ing tank, he can take the kinda beating that playing the way he plays inflicts on him, but he's still gotten hurt.wall doesn't have that build, he has a frame similar to harris.

jimkcchief88

All Star

I want to see Favors play because I am a basketball fan. If Favors is as good as a PF as I am hearing, than you can pass on Wall if you deem your PG is doing the job. I know the Nets are only 3-40. So why not just go out and draft the BPA(WALL)??? Because the last time I checked, hoops is played with only one ball, not 2,3, or 5. Some players need the ball in there hands to be effective, some can be effective without the ball. You need to have a nice mix of both to have a good team.

I am old school, so if I was building team, I would start inside out. Get my bigs, then fill in the complimentary players. Its not sexy, but the Lakers won last year, who is thier PG???? The Bulls won six championships with no PG to speak of. I know those are special cases(Jordan and Kobe), but your PG is supposed to be a distributor first, scorer second.

So If the Nets want to get a little quick cash and put some butts in the seats, they will draft Wall. But if they are trying to build a winner and are satisfied at point, they may wanna consider Favors if he is really that good(which is why I wanna see him play). All depends what they need for their TEAM.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I want to see Favors play because I am a basketball fan. If Favors is as good as a PF as I am hearing, than you can pass on Wall if you deem your PG is doing the job. I know the Nets are only 3-40. So why not just go out and draft the BPA(WALL)??? Because the last time I checked, hoops is played with only one ball, not 2,3, or 5. Some players need the ball in there hands to be effective, some can be effective without the ball. You need to have a nice mix of both to have a good team.

I am old school, so if I was building team, I would start inside out. Get my bigs, then fill in the complimentary players. Its not sexy, but the Lakers won last year, who is thier PG???? The Bulls won six championships with no PG to speak of. I know those are special cases(Jordan and Kobe), but your PG is supposed to be a distributor first, scorer second.

So If the Nets want to get a little quick cash and put some butts in the seats, they will draft Wall. But if they are trying to build a winner and are satisfied at point, they may wanna consider Favors if he is really that good(which is why I wanna see him play). All depends what they need for their TEAM.
There is no way Favors goes ahead of Wall. Even if you are "old school" and want to build your team "inside out" do you realize the Nets have a front court of Yi Jianlian and Brook Lopez? they average a combined 38 points per game out of the Nets 88 points per game. Favors's game is not ready yet. His upside is very good. Good enough to secure him in the top 5 of the lottery, but its a consensus fact that Wall is the most NBA ready prospect available. When you're 3-40 and lack all signs of life, I think you are best fit to bring in someone who can help right away. Not to mention the guy is 19 years old...so I don't think he'll be making "quick cash" for the Nets only. Last time I checked, the NBA lifespan of a bigman was much shorter than a point guard. There is absolutely NO WAY that Favors goes number one. Whether its the Nets, T-Wolves or whoever. The only scenario I could see Favors getting ANY consideration is if Golden State or Sacramento get the number one. Even then, I could see Nelson going with a three guard lineup with Curry, Ellis and Wall. Sacramento could very easily move Kevin Martin for some size inside and elected to move Tyreke Evans to the SG slot and have Wall play the point. As a matter of fact, they'd probably prefer that. All the cards are kind of against Favors here even in your scenario. The guy averages 11 points a game and 9 rebounds at Georgia Tech...not the kind of guy I'm willing to bet the livelihood of my franchise on.

jimkcchief88

All Star
There is no way Favors goes ahead of Wall. Even if you are "old school" and want to build your team "inside out" do you realize the Nets have a front court of Yi Jianlian and Brook Lopez? they average a combined 38 points per game out of the Nets 88 points per game. Favors's game is not ready yet. His upside is very good. Good enough to secure him in the top 5 of the lottery, but its a consensus fact that Wall is the most NBA ready prospect available. When you're 3-40 and lack all signs of life, I think you are best fit to bring in someone who can help right away. Not to mention the guy is 19 years old...so I don't think he'll be making "quick cash" for the Nets only. Last time I checked, the NBA lifespan of a bigman was much shorter than a point guard. There is absolutely NO WAY that Favors goes number one. Whether its the Nets, T-Wolves or whoever. The only scenario I could see Favors getting ANY consideration is if Golden State or Sacramento get the number one. Even then, I could see Nelson going with a three guard lineup with Curry, Ellis and Wall. Sacramento could very easily move Kevin Martin for some size inside and elected to move Tyreke Evans to the SG slot and have Wall play the point. As a matter of fact, they'd probably prefer that. All the cards are kind of against Favors here even in your scenario. The guy averages 11 points a game and 9 rebounds at Georgia Tech...not the kind of guy I'm willing to bet the livelihood of my franchise on.

Herein lies the problem. Delvin Harris is making 9million a year through the 2012-13 season. So you draft Wall and pay him the same money and now your backcourt is making 18mil a year and they have to share the ball. Can Wall play 2 as well as 1??? Not sure but from what I have seen the his weakness is his jumper. Will Harris take the "demotion" and move from 1 to 2??? Will two multi-millionaires share one basketball??? If not you have to find another team that needs a PG willing to take on Harris salary on a trade(maybe our Knicks) with 2010 free agent class looming??? So then I google that Xi dude and his weaknesses are defense, rebounding and low-post game and at 7'1" 230 this guy couldn't even be used as a paper weight. That's why I don't get why you draft a guy like that and your team ends up 3-40 because you are softer than a jelly donut in the middle trying to match up in the Eastern conference. So for my money I still draft Favors if I'm the Nets to beef up my frontline, put Xi on the BENCH where he belongs, because at 9 million a year, I am set at point.