PG Problem for 2010

jimkcchief88

All Star
Hindsight is 20/20, but we had our choice of PG's 2 years ago in the draft and grabbed "The Cock" instead. Stupid. Dumb draft picks leave holes in your team that sometimes take years to repair.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Lebron knows the Knicks will pay the luxury tax and go over the cap to win. He also knows we will have more cap space next year and reinforcements will be coming soon. Further once we acquire a James caliber player many veterans will want to come to NYC for a chance to ride his coattails to glory. (think Artest in LA)

Lets also remember that Knicks +James > Cavs + James

I disagree. Knicks + Lebron is not better than Cavs + Lebron. You have to remember, Lee, Harrington, Nate, Duhon, etc. etc. will not be here. Is Jeffries, Curry, Douglas, Hill, Chandler and Gallo better than the Cavs roster? I don't think so.

Also, if Lebron is willing to wait til 2011, why wouldn't he just sign with the Nets? They can afford Bosh and Lebron right now.

PG-Harris
SG-Courtney Lee
SF-Lebron
PF-Bosh
C-Lopez

+ moving to Brooklyn in 2011 and have a multi-billionaire owner willing to spend more than Dolan and go over the cap.

I hate to be the one to always spoil all the fun but we need to be realistic. We need to stop assuming Lebron is going to come here just because it's New York. More work needs to be done.

dre48ny

Rotation player
If the Nets get the first pick they would obviously take Wall, I believe the NYK should offer Curry after the draft for Harris. That would be another expring contract for the Nets in the 2011 class of free agents. I know Harris has had injuries, but he is a baller. His contract is decent. If the NYK find a way to move Jefferies this year than their salary for 2010 would be 18 million with the addition of Harris. Don't know if they can sign 2 max contracts but it's pretty damn close. If they could, then sign LeBron and Bosh. They own Lee's bird rights so they can re-sign him after they sign bron and Bosh.

Harris/Douglas
Chandler
LeBron/Gallo
Lee/Hill
Bosh

The rest of the bench will be their 2nd round picks and maybe resign a few of our own like Harrington, Hughes, or maybe even N8.

dave2138

Rotation player
Knicks will definitely renounce Lee's bird rights though so impossible to have that lineup.

I do like the idea of Devin Harris, but you'd have to give up a lot more than Eddy Curry. Harris' contract is not that bad where they have to give him up for nothing. The Clippers and Baron Davis is a different story. Davis makes an average of 14 mil/year for the next 3 years I could see them trading him in a salary dump if they could find a cheaper PG replacement.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If the Nets get the first pick they would obviously take Wall, I believe the NYK should offer Curry after the draft for Harris. That would be another expring contract for the Nets in the 2011 class of free agents. I know Harris has had injuries, but he is a baller. His contract is decent. If the NYK find a way to move Jefferies this year than their salary for 2010 would be 18 million with the addition of Harris. Don't know if they can sign 2 max contracts but it's pretty damn close. If they could, then sign LeBron and Bosh. They own Lee's bird rights so they can re-sign him after they sign bron and Bosh.

Harris/Douglas
Chandler
LeBron/Gallo
Lee/Hill
Bosh

The rest of the bench will be their 2nd round picks and maybe resign a few of our own like Harrington, Hughes, or maybe even N8.

What planet are you living on?

ANU

Starter
Hindsight is 20/20, but we had our choice of PG's 2 years ago in the draft and grabbed "The Cock" instead. Stupid. Dumb draft picks leave holes in your team that sometimes take years to repair.
you take the best player available regardless of position. this is not football.the best teams have the best players.

jimkcchief88

All Star
you take the best player available regardless of position. this is not football.the best teams have the best players.

That is ONE philosophy of drafting: best player availible. And you are right it's not football. There are only 5 positions instead of 22 not including special teams. So its ten times more important that you fill a POSITION. What you are saying is if you are set at a position, but your pick falls that the best player availible is that same position, you still draft the same position??? That's retarded. Isiah felt the same way. That's why we had a roster full of point guards: "Hey Stevie Franchise is availible, who cares if we are already set at point." And now you see the results of that flawed logic. A team of "players" who fill their position will beat a team of atheletes in hoops 99 times out of 100. When you pick players in pickup, its not all biggs or point guards is it??? Not if you want to stay on the court. And its still very debatable whether Gallo was even the best talent at the 6th spot that year. Gallo is more project than finished product. Still a nepotism pick in my book.

ANU

Starter
lol at your pathetic attempt at trying to bring thomas into this equation.your post was a fail.everyone who knows anything about basketball knows you take the best player available.

jimkcchief88

All Star
lol at your pathetic attempt at trying to bring thomas into this equation.your post was a fail.everyone who knows anything about basketball knows you take the best player available.

LOL. Nice response. I love the "everyone knows" "logic." Better call in the rest of the insult crew to handle this one. I just think its funny that when D'antoni was hired two years ago I was like "great, lets get rid of Steph and draft a PG" in a draft full of them. I was roundly criticized and laughed off the board, and then D'antoni drafts his godson. Now two years later everyone finally realizes: hey maybe a basketball team needs a PG. No kidding.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
MO Williams down, time to trade Robinson and Hughes for Iggy and Gibson.
Cleveland was just using him to give Shaq rest time till the playoffs. They need a point guard, though Lebron does bring it down every possession.
Williams is the best PG they had since Hughes (who does not like the point but played it there cause he was the best). Get a true center, and another 3 point weapon. If Gallo is on, thats our only weapon, Gibson would be a good guy off the bench.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Chris Duhon should be given a 5 year extension.He is the best point guard in the NBA behind Chris Paul.

How the **** can you say that? You mentally retarted in the head???

Chris Dudonkey deserves a SIX year contract extension. And he is better than Cp3. I am tired of all these Chris DuDonkey haters who keep underrating him.

johnstarky

Rotation player
How the **** can you say that? You mentally retarted in the head???

Chris Dudonkey deserves a SIX year contract extension. And he is better than Cp3. I am tired of all these Chris DuDonkey haters who keep underrating him.

Chris Duhon can be our future Mark Jackson while he dishes the basketball to our future Amare Stoudemire (Eddy Curry) .That would be the best duo in the NBA for many years to come.I could see both of them winning more rings than Jordan/Pippen and Kobe/Shaq.You will see people fighting with each other in the NBA store just to buy a Chris Duhon jersey.If anybody deserves a max contract this season from the Knicks it has to be Duhon.The guy has just as much potential as Ricky Rubio and John Wall.

ANU

Starter
LOL. Nice response. I love the "everyone knows" "logic." Better call in the rest of the insult crew to handle this one. I just think its funny that when D'antoni was hired two years ago I was like "great, lets get rid of Steph and draft a PG" in a draft full of them. I was roundly criticized and laughed off the board, and then D'antoni drafts his godson. Now two years later everyone finally realizes: hey maybe a basketball team needs a PG. No kidding.
let me ask you a question; you're rod thorn, and you win the nba lottery, who will you take with the first pick? john wall or derrick favors?

dave2138

Rotation player
Thats not even debatable...the Nets would pick John Wall and then trade Devin Harris as soon as possible. Odds are though the Nets don't get the #1 pick, but still that is actually interesting to see what guards would be available depending on who wins the draft lottery.

New Jersey - 25% chance at Wall - Harris
Minnesota - 20% chance at Wall - Flynn/Rubio (or both)
Golden State - 15.6% chance at Wall - Ellis/Curry
Sacramento - 6-10% chance at Wall - Martin (Evans move to SG)
Detroit - 2-12% chance at Wall - Stuckey/Gordon

So basically there is a 70-80% chance that 1 of Harris/Flynn/Rubio/Ellis/Curry/Martin/Stuckey/Gordon will be traded to make room for wall.

Especially if its Harris, Ellis, Martin or Gordon...you could trade possibly Curry as an expiring contract + future 1st round pick and/or Hill and/or Chandler and/or whatever it takes to match up the trade value.

Probably 20-30% chance though Philadelphia, Indiana, or Washington get Wall though. In which case if Philly or Indiana get it nobody will get traded since they lack PG depth and Washington won't trade anybody good either since Foye is a restricted FA and Arenas is untradable.