J.R. Smith set to return ( Wednesday )

portega1968

El Cacique
I can imagine his dad pissed cause he'll be taking just $2.5mil

so, who's getting cut?

I'm guessing Mike Bibby's expiring deal is the easy choice (more than one year left on Balkman's and Jerome's contracts)

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219046/Knicks_Close_To_Deal_For_JR_Smith

Knicks Close To Deal For J.R. Smith
Feb 16, 2012 12:51 PM EST

The Knicks are close to agreement on a deal with J.R. Smith.

New York will need to cut a player to make room for Smith.

Smith has also been considering the Clippers.

Via Frank Isola/New York Daily News (via Twitter)

nyk_nyk

All Star
I can imagine his dad pissed cause he'll be taking just $2.5mil

so, who's getting cut?

I'm guessing Mike Bibby's one-year deal is the easy choice (two years left on Balkman's and Jerome's contracts)

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219046/Knicks_Close_To_Deal_For_JR_Smith

Knicks Close To Deal For J.R. Smith
Feb 16, 2012 12:51 PM EST

The Knicks are close to agreement on a deal with J.R. Smith.

New York will need to cut a player to make room for Smith.

Smith has also been considering the Clippers.

Via Frank Isola/New York Daily News (via Twitter)
Yeah at this point, Bibby makes the most sense. The downside is that we'll need Baron to come back ASAP. Can't have TD out there with his inept PG play.

portega1968

El Cacique
Yeah at this point, Bibby makes the most sense. The downside is that we'll need Baron to come back ASAP. Can't have TD out there with his inept PG play.

BD definitely not returning before AllStar game.

Coach will go with Shump to backup Lin... TD will only see garbage time mins (him and Balkman are in the basement of the doghouse).

Anyways, Bibby was just as bad IMO; at least we can hope that TD heals and regains his confidence somewhere down the line for at least to become a trade chip.

portega1968

El Cacique
Seems JR Smith to the Knicks (with a player option for the second year) is a foregone conclusion with media tweets treating it that way:

Royce Young: J.R. Smith to pick Knicks over Clippers? Related: Plans in place to clone basketball to provide enough shots.

Tommy Beer: Let me say this: Knicks often valued talent over chemistry/character for the better part the last decade, and that didn't turn out too well

Royce Young: Cannot wait for the Toney Douglas-J.R. Smith -Melo-Amar'e-Jeffries lineup. It's going to be amazing. Like performance art.

Zach Lowe: J.R. Smith makes me nervous. Some shooting, and more wings could give D'Antoni flexibility to play Melo at the 4 a bit more.

Matt Lawyue: With Jorts and possibly Baron returning, you PASS FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY on signing JR Smith.

Tommy Dee: it would appear that #knicks management aren't concerned about any possible chemistry issues. Both sides been courting for weeks.

Tommy Dee: per @fisolaNYDN report source confirms TKB that J.R. Smith deal not final yet, but the numbers in the report seem accurate.

Kurt Helin: When do we start asking if J.R. Smith can conform his game to fit with Jeremy Lin?

Alex Kennedy: Also, props to @Tommy Dee on the J.R. Smith scoop. For months, he's been reporting the mutual interest between Smith and the Knicks.

Tommy Beer: For those saying, "If JR Smith acts up, just cut him..." - sounds like JR is angling for a player-option on a second season.

Dan Woike: Good news, Clips fans. There's still time for David Stern to void JR Smith's deal with Knicks, sending him to #Clippers.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2012/02/16/source-smith-deal-about-done/

Last edited:

portega1968

El Cacique
Steve Kyler: According to @Frank Isola Leon Rose, met with James Dolan to finalize a JR Smith contract. Needs FIBA clearance, looks like he'll be a Knick

Jarrod Rudolph: I don't understand why JR Smith would go to the Knicks. The Magic, Mavs and Clippers all better fits for him. I don't think it works.

Alex Raskin: I don't care how many 2/3s the #Knicks have. After watching J. Jordan play, there's no question on how to make roster room for J.R. Smith.

Tommy Dee: as far as my a opinion on Smith fitting in I'll reserve judgement. fits a need can play w Melo. hard to argue with the #s

Steve Kyler: According to @Frank Isola Smith will sign for the pro-rated "room exception" worth $2.5... should clear about $2 million

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1mZbrmcjH

Last edited:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Steve Kyler: According to @Frank Isola Leon Rose, met with James Dolan to finalize a JR Smith contract. Needs FIBA clearance, looks like he'll be a Knick

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1mZbrmcjH
Lets go, everything going good for the knicks

-were 15-15 back at the 500 mark and only improving
-7game win streak
-chemistry is clicking
-teammates are happy
-Playing great defense
-Shump in the dunk contest
-Lin is the talk of the world
-melo coming back soon
-JR coming more firepower
-Josh/Baron hopefully coming back very soon
:gony: things looking bright

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Well, let's hope he doesn't ruin our chemistry... but, with JR on board we'll probably pass the Clips in the most dunks made stat. :D

Wargames

Starter
I'm not mad at this.... Not mad at all. We were trying to get crawford for this roll as a shooter and JR can do that and play pick and roll. Also a lot of teams have to be a little bit scared the knicks aren't a joke man. We got another good big and BD on the bench healing to come in fresh in the playoffs....

Miami and bulls fans have to be worried. Also Grunwald is clearly GM of the year. Just call it now and give that man a reward.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Floor spacing
Lin
Jr
Melo
Novak
Stat

Gritty defense
Shump
Fields
Melo
Jeffries
Chandler

Close game situations
Lin
Jr
Melo
stat
Chandler

LeFlume

All Star
If it's true I'm gonna puke for a week. What Starbury move...**** me...I hate Jr Smith....-He started the brawl with the Knicks back in 06. Jeffries and him threw punches...what retarded move if we sign him...:barf:

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
If it's true I'm gonna puke for a week. What Starbury move...**** me...I hate Jr Smith....-He started the brawl with the Knicks back in 06. Jeffries and him threw punches...what retarded move if we sign him...:barf:
i remeber that fight, melo slap the hell out of collins then backed up real quick when jeffries was coming after him:teeth: melos my fav player but that was still a douchie move lol.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Well, let's hope he doesn't ruin our chemistry... but, with JR on board we'll probably pass the Clips in the most dunks made stat. :D

Can everyone just kill the chemistry comments already! It will be Antoni's job to make it all work. He's slowly getting a squad that resembles his old Suns teams (outside of Chandler). Its MOA's responsibility.

This team when fully healthy will be crazy stacked, so he better make it work. I can already see Phil Jax rubbing his hands together smelling another chip.

fender0577

Rotation player
Can everyone just kill the chemistry comments already! It will be Antoni's job to make it all work. He's slowly getting a squad that resembles his old Suns teams (outside of Chandler). Its MOA's resbonsibility.

This team when fully healthy will be crazy stacked, so he better make it work. I can already see Phil Jax rubbing his hands together smelling another chip.
Very true, i'm not a JR fan by any means, but the guy can put the ball in the hoop, at will, and depth is never a bad thing.Hey at least this would force antoni to use more than 7 players.

portega1968

El Cacique
Can everyone just kill the chemistry comments already! It will be Antoni's job to make it all work. He's slowly getting a squad that resembles his old Suns teams (outside of Chandler). Its MOA's resbonsibility.

I'm not definitely in favor of this signing because of his negatives.

But, if this is a done deal, he is now family and the team must focus on making this work. Wouldnt want to see hurt Shump or Landry's development. We need both of these guys attributes just as much as we need JR's outside shooting.

Truth be told, this team is deadlier now with an SG that can hit the outside shot consistently.

iSaYughh

Starter
I'm not definitely in favor of this signing because of his negatives.

But, if this is a done deal, he is now family and the team must focus on making this work. Wouldnt want to see hurt Shump or Landry's development. We need both of these guys attributes just as much as we need JR's outside shooting.

Truth be told, this team is deadlier now with an SG that can hit the outside shot consistently.

+1

That's the point I keep going back to in my mind, and why I've always wanted this to happen

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Would yall rather him come off the bench or start?

Season- Bench

Playoffs- Start

Dantoni likes mixing his roaster up regarding who starts or comes off the bench anyway. Im pretty sure he'll fiddle around with it to see what works best for the team.

Fields thrives off ball movement so who knows Maybe JR will get the start while dantoni has Fields, Shump etc coming off the bench.

Yeah I think I like bench better myself. Playoffs including. We're gonna need scoring punch from there. My ideal lineup looks like
Starters:
Lin
Fields
Anthony
Stoudemire
Chandler

Bench: (When fully healthy)
Davis
Smith/Shumpert
Novak
Jeffries
Herrelson