Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Boston Celtics 7:30pm 2/2/2016

Broadway

All Star
Where's THE GREAT #Kporzee tonight guys? The high upside can't miss guy?

Oh that's right Fisher was in his feelings with Sasha and Lopez(<-----previous game shaded him) and while Sasha hit some 3s he didn't do it at a clip that canceled out how atrocious the interior defense was tonight. Fisher said forget you young fella I'M NOT FEELING YOU

When you COACH BY FEEL these are the results you get

mafra

Legend
Turner making shot after shot... BOS just out-hustling NYK... Melo non-existent in 4th... KP non-existent all game... 93-83 with 3:27 left... Another putrid performance from our top4 guards... If not for 6 points from Sasha... This would've been an ugly 4th... BOS just punched us in the mouth and we wilted...

This is why Broadway is right... We lost anyway... Why couldn't JG okay instead of AA?

We couldn't stop them it score in the 4th and DF did nothing to turn the tide. Season just died the last 2 weeks... Sad... Almost made it to ASB break above .500... Now, we just trying to avoid a 50-loss season.

mafra

Legend
Melo has been brutal tonight on D, as has others but he stood out really bad tonight.

Melo is 4-16... Clearly frustrated and allowed his offense to hurt his defense... But can you blame him? He's playing 2-5 tonight... Melo and Lopez only players to come to play.

Nobody... I mean nobody... Show me 1 forward/center who wins without guards.

Melo has first bad game since he was in Utah... And now it's pile on Melo?

KP wins another rookie of the month and you are still trashing on him? Wow. Considering some people thought KP wouldn't even contribute for 3 years... Despite never seeing him play... Now bashing him for not dominating every night?

Yes... It's true that KP and Melo had bad games... But credit BOS defense... We were lazy and turned ball over... We can only win when our FWDs dominate but let's keep the ire focused on those that deserve the blame: our lousy guard play... We've lost 6/7 without JC.

Geez... Lebron wouldn't win with AA and LG...

mafra

Legend
1 point and 2 assists from our starting PG (Langston Galloway), who played 34 minutes. His man scored 20 with 8 assists...

AA had 4 turnover and what? 5 points in 2nd half...

Thomas and DWIll have 12 combined points. Terrible job by Fisher not playing Grant or Williams much tonight.

Broadway

All Star
Melo is 4-16... Clearly frustrated and allowed his offense to hurt his defense... But can you blame him? He's playing 2-5 tonight... Melo and Lopez only players to come to play.

Nobody... I mean nobody... Show me 1 forward/center who wins without guards.

Melo has first bad game since he was in Utah... And now it's pile on Melo?

KP wins another rookie of the month and you are still trashing on him? Wow. Considering some people thought KP wouldn't even contribute for 3 years... Despite never seeing him play... Now bashing him for not dominating every night?

Yes... It's true that KP and Melo had bad games... But credit BOS defense... We were lazy and turned ball over... We can only win when our FWDs dominate but let's keep the ire focused on those that deserve the blame: our lousy guard play... We've lost 6/7 without JC.

Geez... Lebron wouldn't win with AA and LG...

There has been little criticism of his play maybe since that game but tonight he's deserving of it. Why are you sensitive for me pointing out how bad he was tonight? He should have been a major difference tonight he wasn't it's a pure fact.

mafra

Legend
There has been little criticism of his play maybe since that game but tonight he's deserving of it. Why are you sensitive for me pointing out how bad he was tonight? He should have been a major difference tonight he wasn't it's a pure fact.

Can't refute that statement... He was lousy in the second half... I thought he was decent in the first half. Clearly, he was bothered by the physical presence of Crowder. BOS still in his head... Cheerios and all... Even sans KG.

Still... BOS wasn't gonna let Melo beat them and they clamped down on him in the 4th and allowed our guards to build a brick house in MSG tonight...

But... To say he was the foulest of all the culprits on the floor defensively? Galloway looked like a bullfighter out there with his matador self.

Just seemed odd of all the people to name... I mean, if he would've tried to take game over and shoot 27 times... We bash him... Some fans may just be hypersensitive when Melo is involved... Love or hate. As for me, I don't really care if it's Al Harrington or Mason... To me, I refuse to blame anybody else for this mess than our guards. Then the coach... Then Phil for this back court catastrophe.

You cAnt compete in the NBA consistently with this subpar guard play. Yet again. Another season... When we not only have the worst PG in the league... But there are 8-10 backup PG better than anything we have.

You can't won in NFL without a QB... Can't win without guards... I used to believe Melo should be able to beat most teams, just by exerting his will in the 4th... But Melo isn't that guy anymore...

We've lost 6 of our last 7 overall and 4 out of our last 5 at home, where we previously had been playing well. We stink right now and you'd need a blackboard to list all the things going wrong with this team at the moment.

Still, there is a lot of basketball left to be played this season. We've had terrible stretches like this before when we've had a way better team than we do this season, so it's not like this bad stretch is something special. We still have a chance to have a respectable season and build some things for next season.

That said, the more we lose, the more I worry the front office will panic. If we can make a trade to acquire assets, sure, we'd be crazy not to do it since the current state of this team is far, far from a contender. But, if we start looking at trading assets to marginally improve this roster, man, what a potential mistake waiting to happen.

Kiyaman

Legend
1 point and 2 assists from our starting PG (Langston Galloway), who played 34 minutes. His man scored 20 with 8 assists...

AA had 4 turnover and what? 5 points in 2nd half...

Thomas and DWIll have 12 combined points. Terrible job by Fisher not playing Grant or Williams much tonight.

So True .. We were the "Jumpshot Knicks tonite ....
Our tandem starter guards "Gallo n Afflalo" are not clicking on offense/defense
Matter of Fact .. the increasing minutes of playing time Afflalo been receiving has turn into consistent LOSSES.
The last 6 losses Afflalo average 39 minutes in each .. givin us poor defense n poor shooting

Melo offensive leadership .. team shot 37% FG
Lopez didnt get any teammate help on defense .. so why play defense

-

mafra

Legend
I think the Knicks should be open for business at the deadline. Phil should convince Melo his best hope for a ring is to beg his pals in CLE or MIA to bring him aboard... It'll never happen... But if we could snag Irving from CLE...

Other than that... Our only hope to improve is if some team wants ROLO bc they need a big, or of some team somehow values the upside in JG, LG, or DWIll.

I think KP and LT are probably our only untouchable pieces...

Realistically, out our move will probably be giving away an asset (ROLO, AA, LG, DW) to some team if they would take Calderon too...

mafra

Legend
So True .. We were the "Jumpshot Knicks tonite ....
Our tandem starter guards "Gallo n Afflalo" are not clicking on offense/defense
Matter of Fact .. the increasing minutes of playing time Afflalo been receiving has turn into consistent LOSSES.
The last 6 losses Afflalo average 39 minutes in each .. givin us poor defense n poor shooting

Melo offensive leadership .. team shot 37% FG
Lopez didnt get any teammate help on defense .. so why play defense

-

Melo did have 14 rebounds and led team in assists tonight (he had 4 and rest of team had 9).

I get it tho... He makes the big money... so, deservedly, he should take heat when Jae Crowder neutralizes and negates his impact, and when Turner takes over down the stretch and Melo is MIA.

But, I do feel pity for Melo sometimes... I haven't seen a star get manhandled as much as Melo since Shaq. He is big and strong and bulls his way into position sometimes, he isn't graceful, and he never flails or exaggerates contact... But he gets hit every possession, and when he is in the post there are times his defender basically bear hugs him... All the contact adds up, and sometimes it gets into his head. Lebron and KD don't go inside nearly as often... This is why Melo should've improved his ball handling skills ages ago... Refs allow much more physical defense when your back is to the basket.

So, toss in the balky knees... The stifling and relentless effort from BOS, then the pathetic effort from AA and LG, compounded by the fact DF left those 2 guards in for most of the game, even as BOS guards ran circles around those 2.... Then, KP was a complete non-factor... Melo is human... Not superman anymore... I'll forgive a poor second half...

With that said... No excuses for not giving everything on defense. You make 20 mil a year. Effort and heart and will should be there... show up... each game. And, yeah, it would be nice for once to see him do what Dirk doesn't nightly... You know... Score some points in the 4th Q!

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Again, why didn't we play inside since we have the edge with two 7 footers? lopez was so succesful inside especially with the difference in height.....

Broadway

All Star
Can't refute that statement... He was lousy in the second half... I thought he was decent in the first half. Clearly, he was bothered by the physical presence of Crowder. BOS still in his head... Cheerios and all... Even sans KG.

Still... BOS wasn't gonna let Melo beat them and they clamped down on him in the 4th and allowed our guards to build a brick house in MSG tonight...

But... To say he was the foulest of all the culprits on the floor defensively? Galloway looked like a bullfighter out there with his matador self.

Just seemed odd of all the people to name... I mean, if he would've tried to take game over and shoot 27 times... We bash him... Some fans may just be hypersensitive when Melo is involved... Love or hate. As for me, I don't really care if it's Al Harrington or Mason... To me, I refuse to blame anybody else for this mess than our guards. Then the coach... Then Phil for this back court catastrophe.

You cAnt compete in the NBA consistently with this subpar guard play. Yet again. Another season... When we not only have the worst PG in the league... But there are 8-10 backup PG better than anything we have.

You can't won in NFL without a QB... Can't win without guards... I used to believe Melo should be able to beat most teams, just by exerting his will in the 4th... But Melo isn't that guy anymore...

It's about expectations, Melo is being paid to be the difference in games like this. Tonight we saw Isaiah Thomas put his stamp on the game far more than Melo, without being a high usage ball dominating guard. IT makes $6.5mil Melo makes $23mil. Melo was also cross matched against lesser caliber players to defend and he let them do whatever they wanted last night. He was trash and became unraveled a little too quickly.

Our problems aren't exclusively in the back court either. It's a train wreck for sure but our front court has serious issues, hence Fisher constantly flip-flopping on guys night-to-night.

Fans complaining about Galloway is laughable because he was campaigned for the longest to start by quite a few and I clearly said if we started Grant from the get go we probably wouldn't see gaping results in productivity game-to-game no matter the starter.

Keep in mind Calderon is a trash defender(although puts forth the effort) and only averages 7.5/4 on the season. Galloway in the 4gms he's started in his absence is averaging the same. Let's stop pretending Calderon is so much better than what we have.

Last edited:

Tkf

Benchwarmer
I think the Knicks should be open for business at the deadline. Phil should convince Melo his best hope for a ring is to beg his pals in CLE or MIA to bring him aboard... It'll never happen... But if we could snag Irving from CLE...

Other than that... Our only hope to improve is if some team wants ROLO bc they need a big, or of some team somehow values the upside in JG, LG, or DWIll.

I think KP and LT are probably our only untouchable pieces...

Realistically, out our move will probably be giving away an asset (ROLO, AA, LG, DW) to some team if they would take Calderon too...

who wants carmelo's contract? Phil had his chance to let this clown walk. carmelo gave the knicks a gift and opted out. Phil gave the gift back and then some..

and what upside from jerian Grant should teams value? knicks didn't seem to value it, they don't even play him much, how can you expect any team to value what you don't?

Tkf

Benchwarmer
It's about expectations, Melo is being paid to be the difference in games like this. Tonight we saw Isaiah Thomas put his stamp on the game far more than Melo, without being a high usage ball dominating guard. IT makes $8mil Melo makes $23mil. Melo was also cross matched against lesser caliber players to defend and he let them do whatever they wanted last night. He was trash and became unraveled a little too quickly.

Our problems aren't exclusively in the back court either. It's a train wreck for sure but our front court has serious issues, hence Fisher constantly flip-flopping on guys night-to-night.

Fans complaining about Galloway is laughable because he was campaigned for the longest to start by quite a few and I clearly said if we started Grant from the get go we probably wouldn't see gaping results in productivity game-to-game no matter the starter.

Keep in mind Calderon is a trash defender(although puts forth the effort) and only averages 7.5/4 on the season. Galloway in the 4gms he's started in his absence is averaging the same. Let's stop pretending Calderon so much better than what we have.

very true, and here is a question I asked all knicks fans across all forums. I keep hearing knicks fans say "but we have carmelo and established star, and the other team doesn't "

So my question is, when has that ever worked as an advantage for the knicks? when!

mafra

Legend
who wants carmelo's contract? Phil had his chance to let this clown walk. carmelo gave the knicks a gift and opted out. Phil gave the gift back and then some..

and what upside from jerian Grant should teams value? knicks didn't seem to value it, they don't even play him much, how can you expect any team to value what you don't?

We'll never know for sure if Phil wanted Melo back or if Dolan stomped and kicked and demanded it as a prerequisite to giving JAX the job.

It didn't matter last year bc we got a lottery back... Doesn't matter this year either bc we don't have a first rounder. If Melo doesn't attract helps this Summer, then we can definitely say having Melo is hurting progress bc it will (or should) prevent next year's team from stinking so badly it earns another top lottery pick.

But... No doubt... Melo is being paid to be the difference in these games (hanging in the balance in the 4th)... And, despite playing some of the best all-around ball of his career... He is just another avg player come crunch time.