Game Thread: New York Knicks vs Boston Celtics 7:30pm 2/2/2016

Broadway

All Star
Would you care if using Mudiay's assist to turnover ratio of 1.5 that those 14 assists come with 9 turnovers? What about with Mudiay's average FG% that to make those 10 shots that Westbrook made it would have taken Mudiay 30 shots?

I get your point, but you should be able to understand mine. I'm allowed to think Mudiay is trash.

You are indeed but once again you brought this up in light of me shaping Phil's point guard value in the Triangle. It didn't really fit the subject matter at hand per say. Keep in mind Phil devalued him before he knew what he could or couldn't do as did Byron Scott and the Lakers. Russell hasn't even manned his position down completely at Point and his numbers are only a breath better than Mudiay's. Hindsight up to 50gms in is cool but none of these young players careers are over.

As much as I've covered them all I never walked down the path of calling any of them trash, at least not YET it's premature and foolish to do so.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Michael Carter Williams an inefficient Point Guard but I bet if Knicks were attached to him in rumor mill we know how the scripts here would read

Kemba Walker another inefficient Point Guard but I bet if Knicks were rumored to trade Melo for him and MKG we know how the scripts would read

And you'd be right in the thick of discussion campaigning for more than 1 of the many I've listed thus far

List continues to grow...

Broadway

All Star
Remember the Knicks were rumored last yr in an attempt to make a late play on Reggie Jackson?....His numbers were in a downward trend of inefficiency and no one really knew for sure if he could actually run a team but many were lathered up at the idea

List may never end....

Ah, Broadway, my good man, I think I have you here.

That link I provided is to the Player Efficiency Rating which is the best stat to measure a player (at least offensively). It is a stat that ranks Stephon Curry #1, Russell Westbrook #2, Chris Paul #3, Kyle Lowry #4, etc. In other words, it is the stat that tells you the best players are the best players.

For one, you said above that Jose Calderon is efficient and sucks. Actually, he is ranked #48 out of 74 PGs in the league. So, no, he is not efficient and yes, he's not good.

Next, you said Michael Carter-Williams and Kemba Walker are inefficient PGs. Prepare to have your mind blown. Kemba Walker is #9 out of 74 PGs in the league in Player Efficiency Rating. MCW is #28 out of 74 PGs in the league.

And reminder, Mudiay is #74 out of 74. Also known as last.

Actually, for what it's worth, your boy Ish Smith is #22, which maybe means I have judged HIM too harshly.

You are a valiant opponent, Broadway, but this is set and match. Now, as much fun as this has been, I can't keep doing this all night. I'm supposed to be watching my baby daughter and she is pissed at me right now. Have a good one.

Broadway

All Star
Ah, Broadway, my good man, I think I have you here.

That link I provided is to the Player Efficiency Rating which is the best stat to measure a player (at least offensively). It is a stat that ranks Stephon Curry #1, Russell Westbrook #2, Chris Paul #3, Kyle Lowry #4, etc. In other words, it is the stat that tells you the best players are the best players.

For one, you said above that Jose Calderon is efficient and sucks. Actually, he is ranked #48 out of 74 PGs in the league. So, no, he is not efficient and yes, he's not good.

Next, you said Michael Carter-Williams and Kemba Walker are inefficient PGs. Prepare to have your mind blown. Kemba Walker is #9 out of 74 PGs in the league in Player Efficiency Rating. MCW is #28 out of 74 PGs in the league.

And reminder, Mudiay is #74 out of 74. Also known as last.

Actually, for what it's worth, your boy Ish Smith is #22, which maybe means I have judged HIM too harshly.

You are a valiant opponent, Broadway, but this is set and match. Now, as much fun as this has been, I can't keep doing this all night. I'm supposed to be watching my baby daughter and she is pissed at me right now. Have a good one.

I was referring to your 3 category efficiency(you know when you asked to find worse FG%, 3pt%, and FT%) while you posted the link to Player Efficiency which takes more into account, it still speaks to what I said earlier about STATS(no matter which ones you roll with) don't always tell the full story.

Calderon isn't so much as bad because he has a current yr of low Player Efficiency rank it's because...(pretty sure historically he's been efficient) he's always been defensively awful, he isn't athletic, he plays at a slow pace, lacks strength/speed things like this you can't necessarily quantify. We were talking rookie yrs too not comparing rooks to vets. It was rookie yrs early yrs to early yrs.

I posted players who as the yrs went by being facetious... no one ever said to themselves Naaahh don't pick him up or trade for him because during his rookie yr he was trash as if 50gms into a rookie season surmises a player's career.

Last edited:

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Towns is better than Porzingis. Agreed. Not sure why you felt the need to argue that point above.

Turner has had 2 good weeks and everyone is drooling over him. Let him do a little more before saying he is better than Porzingis.

I like Jokic and have been unimpressed with Grant so far, so there definitely are scenarios where you could pair Jokic with another top pick and make the case to me that the pairing is better than Porzingis and Grant, but still, I think Mudiay is a team killer to have on the court so far.

Not sure why you are so invested in Mudiay over Porzingis though. It seems like you are almost arguing it as a thought exercise, so I'm good with being done with this debate at this point.

If I can remember Broadway liked Turner before he started showing up on peoples radar. I liked him the first time I saw him, had nothing to do with numbers...

Tkf

Benchwarmer
I know I'm stacking posts sequentially in this thread and I apologize for that, but I have been accused of not watching basketball.

Here, go to this link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg

These are the player efficiency ratings for NBA PGs this season. Go to page 2. Emmanuel Mudiay is #74 out of 74 qualified PGs. Incidentally, who is #71 out of 74 qualified PGs? Jerian Grant, who's game I have also trashed so far this year.

You don't believe in stats, fine, but don't accuse me of not knowing the game. I know how bad Mudiay has played this year. Historically bad. I have watched him play and get benched behind Jameer Nelson. You still like him, that's cool.

I have watched pretty much every minute of every Nuggets game and You don't know what you are talking about. What Denver is doing is actually Developing Him as a PG.

As far as him being benched.. He got hurt, they played nelson and when mudiay came back they brought him off the bench for a while and now he went back into the starting lineup.

Mudiay played in 36 games and started 34. jameer played in 38 and started 15, so where is this benching you are talking about?

again, emotional posting + lack of basketball viewing diversity = Bad posting at its finest.. or worst.. however you want to look at it..

No objectivity whatsoever... It sounds like you decided to attack mudiay because the knicks are bad.. when did this discussion even become about mudiay?