Knicks Close On Multi-Year Deal For Felton

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
Some semantics. It isn't that he is "overpaid", but that his risk-reward + ability + impact on our cap, future, etc all isn't "worth" it when compared to other alternatives.

Just saying a guy is getting "paid too much" or has "too much money" as a salary, is most peoples simplified/colloquial way of expression.

I agree w Red though and that big article he linked in a new thread, that it isnt them ever being truly "overpaid".

We/Walsh obv want everyone at the absolute lowest price point.

When a Felton (or Amare, or whomever) comes, at whatever price, it is what is. It's what they --are-- truly worth (as dictated by the market and our submission to it. Its the reality).

Whether you should --comply-- with the market on given choices is the separate issue.

Anyways, Felton was a 5 pick, no? And he's like 26 I'd guess, maybe 27?

He's also proven.

It still might not be worth submitting to the market since he isn't some final piece or anything, and his contract could really impact our cap maneuvering and trade dealings for people who would either have bigger impacts as final pieces, or carry a lower price (risk) point.

I get that. Good point

iSaYughh

Starter
I'm sure all these moves are in conjunction with one another. I would imagine that we have set our sights on Carmelo.

Felton/Douglas/Ridnour

That's our PG situation folks.

Felton was best one on the market, so if we get him for 6-7 mil a year.... Fine by me. Ridnour was nice and all, but they obviously prefer Felton. Plus it keeps him out of MIA.

Felton and Douglas could also play together at times.

Felton working the pick-n-roll with STAT, Gallo on the wing, and Randolph roaming baseline.... Nice.

We also have no clue what other moves they have up their sleeves. Maybe they plan on trading Douglas with Curry?

I DEFINITELY sense this signing would mean we are all-in on Melo.

Felton
Gallo
Melo
Amar'e
Randolph

There's your 2011 starting five.

Hmm. Ya. It may very well signal going all in for Carmelo. Hope it does if it goes through. Would make sense then.

2011 1st + Douglas + Chandler + Curry. Still doesn't seem like enough...Prying Carmelo could be tough as unless a major change of heart happens, we can't risk him walking at season end as he likely won't, and will extension it up at some point.

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
I'm sure all these moves are in conjunction with one another. I would imagine that we have set our sights on Carmelo.

Felton/Douglas/Ridnour

That's our PG situation folks.

Felton was best one on the market, so if we get him for 6-7 mil a year.... Fine by me. Ridnour was nice and all, but they obviously prefer Felton. Plus it keeps him out of MIA.

Felton and Douglas could also play together at times.

Felton working the pick-n-roll with STAT, Gallo on the wing, and Randolph roaming baseline.... Nice.

We also have no clue what other moves they have up their sleeves. Maybe they plan on trading Douglas with Curry?

I DEFINITELY sense this signing would mean we are all-in on Melo.

Felton
Gallo
Melo
Amar'e
Randolph

There's your 2011 starting five.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But why does this give you more reason to think where gettin melo. Just curios...Good points

metrocard

Legend
r09iir.jpg

moneyg

Starter
We got flexability for next year. All we need is a bonified 2/3. Curry expiring. Say good bye to chandler if we get melo. We can always trade turiaf. We r in a good position. Sign him And we still have about 4+ mil to spend.

Paul1355

All Star
Duhon version 2?Let's try to be positive...
Duhon was a half court pick and roll only player
Duhon slowed down the entire offense every game

Felton thrives in transition and pick and roll.
ANd Felton is known to be incredibly fast with the ball.

JayJ44

Starter
This is a good move. He's the best PG on the market, and will thrive under D'antoni. Before he was drafted, it was said that a half-court coach (like Larry Brown) could stifle his potential. A coach like D'antoni will maximize his potential.

That said, we don't want to overpay him and jeopardize the cap space we worked hard to get. I believe that it's not going to be any longer than 3 years, which is smart. Depending on how much we give him, this could be a real nice pickup.

mafra

Legend
Felton for 3 years is sweet! Almost a dream. He'll thrive in this system; And who cares about his defense? Douglas can play defense. I mean, did Nash really shut people down anyway?

We sign the top PG on the market and the #1 BIG.

I would say plan-B is a mighty success.

PLUS, people.... REMEMBER.... This deal sends a clear message to MELO!

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN THAT EXTENSION. We have the perfect team in place for you. Play out the year.... Let our kids get some work, and this team play together and gel... Let us keep our parts.... Then, we'll simply cut Curry and sign you to close to the max.

Bring him home!

Maybe DEN balks, and we end up sending them Curry-Chandler. Nothing more. We need to keep Gallo-Randolph so we can help you win a title.

LOOK AT BOSH AND LEBRON. Bosh basically quit on TOR down the stretch.... LJ quit against BOS.... They both were dreaming and biding their time to run to South Beach. DO THE SAME.

Felton/Douglas/Rautins
Gallo/Walker_or_Azubuike
Melo/Chandler/Fields
Amar'e/Turiaf
Randolph/Jordan

(9-man regualr rotation in bold)

That team is good enough to compete!

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Felton>Ridnour , but I'm scared of the price tag. Felton's speed has not been properly utilized in Charlotte for obvious reasons. He hasn't played in an uptempo system is whole career, when it suits him best. Just hope Walsh got a good deal.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Felton>Ridnour , but I'm scared of the price tag. Felton's speed has not been properly utilized in Charlotte for obvious reasons. He hasn't played in an uptempo system is whole career, when the suits him best. Just hope Walsh got a good deal.

It's only a 3 year deal. That's cool. It'll hurt the cap next year tho. Basically, the only way we can get Carmelo now is if we TRADE for him at some point. Then we can resign him (Bird Rights).

Curry's 11 million comes off the books, but between Felton-Turiaf, that pretty much eats away that available cap space. AND, this doesn't even account for resigning either/both Walker-Azubuike.

SO, the only way Carmelo comes to NY is through a trade with DEN at some point.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
It's only a 3 year deal. That's cool. It'll hurt the cap next year tho. Basically, the only way we can get Carmelo now is if we TRADE for him at some point. Then we can resign him (Bird Rights).

Curry's 11 million comes off the books, but between Felton-Turiaf, that pretty much eats away that available cap space. AND, this doesn't even account for resigning either/both Walker-Azubuike.

Ahh damn, didn't want to lose that max cap slot. Well if D'ant can make Felton play to his strengths he can win us unbelievers over. I guess I've just seen to much of the Larry Brownized-Felton to be totally pumped with this signing. I don't HATE it, I just don't love it like I did the STAT/Randolph deals. When someone mentions his name I think of the iso-Felton offense lol, which was ugly to watch at times.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
No it doesn't.

I assume we'll be under the cap for this year...if we're 6 million under the cap, and Curry's 11 million comes off the cap...then we have room for a max!

moneyg

Starter

Not true man. We still got like four mil after we sign our swcond rounders. And currysn azabuke chandler and randolph expiring if we have to. We have more than enough. And I'm sure we can send gallo with turiaf one year left to a team for picks and make it happen. Go do ur research

jzero29

Rotation player
Will signing felton multi year help us or hinder us?

I mean the knicks still could use a star. Like for instance carmelo, who would love to come here. how does this effect our chances of getting him? what about tony parker? There are good guys hitting the market next year, why not plan to go after them. Why take a Blevel guy when if patient you can get an A level guy. Having to many B level guys signed to long term deals is what screwed us in the past. Why go down that road. Felton better either be part of a trade or surprise the shit out of me.
Being a mediocre team that loses to the celtics, heat and orlando in the first round every year, doesn't comfort me. It's also failure. We need A level talent. Mediocre teams get mediocre draft picks that either suck or are mediocre, very rarely do they turn out to be a star capable of carrying a team. Kevin durant, lebron shaq, ewing, jordan wade, bosh were all high draft picks. Kobe was a little lower because he was 18 and it was right at the highschool boom.
So if we sign just above avg talent then we have just above avg team. If you sign luke, his deal will be less, and we'll be more likely to have manuevering room to sign a better guy. Also his talent level isnt that far off of felton, felton is obviously better but worth killing chances to get carmelo? or parker? Who we need to compete with Miami! seriously. Plan ahead, why be okay now, when you can be great later.

mafra

Legend
Not true man. We still got like four mil after we sign our swcond rounders. And currysn azabuke chandler and randolph expiring if we have to. We have more than enough. And I'm sure we can send gallo with turiaf one year left to a team for picks and make it happen. Go do ur research

Gallo: 4.19 team option
Chandler: 3.09 Qualifying Offer
Douglas: 1.14 team option
Walker: 0.91 team option
Turiaf: 4.36 player option
Randolph: 2.91 team option

Say about 17 million here.

Amar'e just signed for the max. I guess that puts him about 17, right?
Say we sign Felton for 3 years - 21 mil (7 per)

That is 24 million for those 2 players. 24 + 17 = 41 million.

Whatever for this year's draft picks, and next year, and say Azubuike. Hey, I guess you are correct. We should have room. Say this brings his to 45 mil.

SO, we should be fine I guess. Depending on where the cap comes in. 8-13 mil to play with, and that's not even counting some purging.

dassknick

Benchwarmer
Gallo: 4.19 team option
Chandler: 3.09 Qualifying Offer
Douglas: 1.14 team option
Walker: 0.91 team option
Turiaf: 4.36 player option
Randolph: 2.91 team option

Say about 17 million here.

Amar'e just signed for the max. I guess that puts him about 17, right?
Say we sign Felton for 3 years - 21 mil (7 per)

That is 24 million for those 2 players. 24 + 17 = 41 million.

Whatever for this year's draft picks, and next year, and say Azubuike. Hey, I guess you are correct. We should have room. Say this brings his to 45 mil.

SO, we should be fine I guess. Depending on where the cap comes in. 8-13 mil to play with, and that's not even counting some purging.

Exactly, and if we need to purge I read somewhere that if we renounce Chandler at the end of next season, we clear even more room - anyone know if that's true?

I love this roster btw

Felton/Douglas/Rautins
Gallo/Walker_or_Azubuike
Melo/Chandler/Fields
Amar'e/Turiaf
Randolph/Jordan

Gallo at the 2 is a good call.