Knicks Close On Multi-Year Deal For Felton

jzero29

Rotation player
the point of saying we're overpaying for him, means I wouldn't sign, walk away

We could have gotten him for 5.5 or 6 is overpaying for an avg point guard, who has okay numbers, has not played recently in this system.

Be careful with your assessment of Felton. I don't think he's an average point guard. I think he's a dynamic guard that has been stiffled while playing for Larry Brown. Remember he also shared time with another promising PG on the Bobcats by the name of DJ Augustin. Like others have said he will have much more freedom with coach D. He will be unleashed!
My assesment is correct, market wise he had avg numbers last year, everyone is basing it on potential which is unknown. You can put any decent pg in this system and his numbers should rise. Rindour included. pay him what he's produced, don't sign him unproven to a huge undeserved contract that your stuck with. You have to evaluate honestly what he's worth, because you won't be able to move him if you over pay him. or don't sign him at all. give him a reasonable offer of about 5.5mill leave it on the table, when no one else overpays, he'll come knocking. if not let someone else over pay him.

Sighs.

No. We couldn't have gotten Felton for a better price.

In part this is the predictable response to us megawhiffing in the LeBastard saga. Prices will go up for u (than they otherwise may have been). But it isn't fair or unfair, and it's not overpaying or underpaying either way.

Talking about getting him for less is inane.

Talking about --not-- getting him. Period. Is not inane, though, and I agree with a lot of the anti-Felton points.

Also, isn't Amare getting 5yr/100M (not 17M/yr)? But I guess it's weighted and scaled through the years(?)

It's all about Carmelo now, as some have hinted and surmised. Our team truly is primed to take him on and swiftly be a young juggernaut added to the elite creme of the NBA, most of whom look to be staying at their lofty positions for a while.

Not-so-bold estimation: airball Carmelo now and we're a playoff kick toy for quite some time (barring an absolute explosion of both Gallo and Randolph)

Still, Felton could be a wise investment for sure. Carolina who got him to be a top5 draft pick was an uptempo court system. Larry brown's stifles his main attributes; maybe helps rest of team, but stifles this mans game. D'ant has d'ant players to mold into his coaching--Raymond will notably be included.

Anyways, Tyrus just signed for 8M/5yr -- with the Cats -- so we can take that for what it's worth.

And wow. Megawhiffing in the last draft in securing the 1's available really biting us hard. Has made so many things so much more tricky. Ce la vie.
my point is we're overpaying and I'd rather not overpay. he's not worth the money. It's like going to the a farmer market and the guy tries to sell you a tomato for almost double your local supermarket, true it's a little better then your local supermarket tomato, but in the salad the tomato, you can barely tell the difference, so you know it's not worth the money and if you buy it your over paying, it is not inane, he's overpaid and I'd rather not lock into that at all. I'd just go buy at my local market, thats what my grip is. Don't overpay, if you can't get him for 5.5 then walk away. Rindour probably would take about 3.5-4mill a season for similar result, rindour is the bargan. the next text below says, uses stats that i dont believe in, but he says felton was worth 6.5 wins for charlotte rindour 6.2 for bucks, not much a difference, except for price tag. I think felton will get us about 4 more wins then rindour would have, and I'd rather have not over paid him therefore not signed him. It is my fault for being unclear. He is the better player, but Instead of overpaying him, I would have signed someone else for what they are worth. If I can't get the slightly better tomato for slightly more then I would get regular tomato, I wouldn't buy it. Why pay almost double for a slight difference.
Oh stoudemire was 5yr/96 I think its starts at 16.8 or something and increases each yr, like an anual raise.
the signing of felton makes us a playoff team for the next couple years, I think rindour would have also. Reguardless of if we get carmelo or not. The addition of carmelo, makes us more competition, we'd still need a PG better then felton to get to level of miami, I don't want to build a team thats a punching bag for Miami, I want to stick it in lebrons face when we beat them. Amare, carmelo and an grade A PG

According to Basketball reference, Raymond Felton was worth approximately 6.5 wins to the Charlotta bobkittens last year. Rinour was worth 6.2 to MIL, and Toney Douglas was worth 2.2, but of course he didn't get much playing time. Duhon was less than him btw.

I'm hoping this contract is less than 7 million a year cause then we are overpaying.

I've heard great things about this guy, his shooting ability is meh, and I think his assist numbers will rise. Remember, Brown is the Anti'Dantoni. A PG's numbers go down when he's playing in Browns system, whereas they go up in our system. And I hear Felt can hit shots in the clutch. Which is what we lacked since we rid ourselves of Crawford.

Good acquisition as long as we didn't overpay and we still have money for a max or somewhere close next year.
I've heard his shooting is pretty good, but thats larry brown making him be more selective, once that discipline is gone...he maybe Meh, but if he takes 20 shots per game like crawford, he'll score a little more to make up for lower fg%. I basically agree with the stats 6.5 and 6.2 for felton and rindour. I do think felton would be more sucessful in this system then rindour, but I don't think it's worth it and would not have signed him for 7mill per. Definetly 5, okay 5.5, maybe 6. No one else would have given him 6. with his avg numbers. It is a privillage to play in this city, If you want to go play somewhere else good luck. We should only offer players what they are worth, if we lose out on an avg player, who will put up slightly above avg numbers for us, but not quite all star numbers. it's a waste!

Last edited:

jzero29

Rotation player
I don't get the complaints over this siging. Felton is perfect for our system, he's 26 and he has a lot of potential and room to mature. Also, Ridnour is SO overrated on this board. The dude is 30 and people are still talking about him "Developing into a great PG" in the future. In a word, Please.
No one is saying rindour is better. felton is better, but I wouldn't have signed him, when you could have gotten rindour, who would be just a little less effective but half the price, I would have made felton take less or go with the better value in rindour untill a free agent like parker, who is better then felton, was available next year or by trade. Parker all-star worth the cash, felton- above avg pg in this system, not worth the money, rindour slightly less then felton. The whole point is yes are we a better team with felton then rindour, yes agreed, but does it make it harder to get a better pg like parker if we have felton, yes. Does felton put us on level with Miami or would parker?(with the addition of carmelo, obviously)
I guarentee Miami's PG does work also, and he'll be making nothing. But he'll be productive with those guys. They put together 3 well paid superstars, to win a championship we have to do the same, there is not a guy who gets paid anything close to them. For us to beat them we need 3 all-star caliber guys, 7 mill to felton, makes him untradable and he's still just above average. not the caliber we need to compete with miami. If we can't compete with them, what does it matter if we win 40 something games and make playoffs and lose to miami or 50 games and make playoffs and lose to miami. We need to beat Miami, felton isnt the key. large contracts hinder us getting a 3rd A level guy we'd need. With our surounding cast, better then Miami's, we'd be right there. Won't happen with felton, unless he goes bananas and becomes an all star a level talent. Which is possible, but not likely.

Think about it, parker carmelo stoudemire, gallo and randolph...vs lebron, bosh, wade and who? Obviosly we lose on sg, win on pg, win with stoudemire over bosh, lose with lebron over carmelo...but randolph and gallo are going to be better then whoever miami has.

jzero29

Rotation player
I am. Ridnour is a better pick and roll pg. A better distributor. and a better shooter.
okay, but he's not half as fast or young. I'm all for rindour, I don't think he's good as felton. But that deal is huge for felton, slightly above avg pg, not all star quality.

moneyg

Starter
U huys r cryin ova a mil extra per year. That's taxes on ny money. F luke I'd rather felton. And yae for seven mil a year

skisloper

Starter
remember Blake signed with the Championship Lakers. They have a bit more negotiating power then the Knicks.
Felton for 7 is fine. He will be our point guard for this season.
If we get Parker next year then Felton will be a back up for 2 years at 7 million a year. Meaning his last year he will be trade bait.

Truth is we are overpaying him for this year and taking a chance . Whats an extra 2 million when we purchased TD's rights from the Lakers for 3 million.

I am just wondering with an 8 man rotation who is NOT playing ?

and will some of these new pieces be sent packing ?

GET RID OF CHANDLER!!!!

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
No one is saying rindour is better. felton is better, but I wouldn't have signed him, when you could have gotten rindour, who would be just a little less effective but half the price, I would have made felton take less or go with the better value in rindour untill a free agent like parker, who is better then felton, was available next year or by trade. Parker all-star worth the cash, felton- above avg pg in this system, not worth the money, rindour slightly less then felton. The whole point is yes are we a better team with felton then rindour, yes agreed, but does it make it harder to get a better pg like parker if we have felton, yes. Does felton put us on level with Miami or would parker?(with the addition of carmelo, obviously)
I guarentee Miami's PG does work also, and he'll be making nothing. But he'll be productive with those guys. They put together 3 well paid superstars, to win a championship we have to do the same, there is not a guy who gets paid anything close to them. For us to beat them we need 3 all-star caliber guys, 7 mill to felton, makes him untradable and he's still just above average. not the caliber we need to compete with miami. If we can't compete with them, what does it matter if we win 40 something games and make playoffs and lose to miami or 50 games and make playoffs and lose to miami. We need to beat Miami, felton isnt the key. large contracts hinder us getting a 3rd A level guy we'd need. With our surounding cast, better then Miami's, we'd be right there. Won't happen with felton, unless he goes bananas and becomes an all star a level talent. Which is possible, but not likely.

Think about it, parker carmelo stoudemire, gallo and randolph...vs lebron, bosh, wade and who? Obviosly we lose on sg, win on pg, win with stoudemire over bosh, lose with lebron over carmelo...but randolph and gallo are going to be better then whoever miami has.

I hear you but I think the Knicks' brass believes that Felton has the potential to produce at Tony Parker's level in our system. He is only 26 and I think they are counting on him breaking out over the next couple of years. Also, as long as we will still have the max money to offer Carmelo (We will), we are still in great shape. Also, a three year deal is an ideal tryout period, from the point of view of our front office. I really think this move is going to work out. I've always liked felton, and if we land Carmelo next year, we will be major contenders for years to come.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Stop crying!!

okay, but he's not half as fast or young. I'm all for rindour, I don't think he's good as felton. But that deal is huge for felton, slightly above avg pg, not all star quality.

I don't get your belly-aching over 1.5 million when we obviously will still have the flexibility to sign another max player. So we sign Felton for 7 mil per; you wanted him for 5.5. This won't break us and it won't hinder our future plans. Is Felton 3 or 4 mil better than Blake and Ridnour? I actually think he is. He's a true starter (unlike both Blake and Ridnour) who's never been given the opportunity to look like an all-star, but he has that potential. Lets not forget, he was a number 5 pick. Let D'ant work with him a bit. I would not be suprised if he averages double digit assist numbers. Steve Nash, for his career, averages about 8 dimes. This was due to him not being in coach D's system for a few seasons. Felton has been in virtually the same predicament.

Have faith, players are over-payed all of the time. Although I don't think we gave Felton too much money. In this system, on the NY Knicks he will fulfill his potential as a number 5 pick. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend

Does fast and young make you win more games?

Isn't Ridnour like 28 or 29?
and Felton is only 3 years younger?

Come on man.

I just don't believe in Felton.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Does fast and young make you win more games?

Isn't Ridnour like 28 or 29?
and Felton is only 3 years younger?

Come on man.

I just don't believe in Felton.

I don't understand your fascination w/ GetRidofnour. He's a back up. Yes he can shoot. Yes he's descent in the pick and roll. But Felton is without question the better all around player. Please stop.:rolling:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
2 years 15.8 mil....more than reasonable. Thank u Donnie for not committing to a long term deal till we can see what Felton can do. I think he will thrive but its nice to see a front office showing discipline even after Lebitch fronted.

mafra

Legend
Guys.... Felton was a lottery pick for a reason (Ridnour wasn't). Some of you were dying for Sessions!

Felton is a bull. He is strong and physical, to go with speedy. He is the better defensive player (over Luke). He ran the PG for Brown, and that is hard to do but it also helps that player as well.

Felton is perfect for this system. He is really fast and likes to run. He's also durable and has the stamina to run all game, for 40 minutes, for 82 games. HOw is Ridnour's conditioning? He played part time in MIL?

When we lost out on Lebron, and especially after Miller was goe.... This was a no-brainer.

Would we have settled for Ridnour? Sure, if that mean we got a shooter in Miller or Kover. When that option was gone, this was the best route.

FELTON IS/WAS THE BEST PG ON THE MARKET.

We need to be playoff worthy this year. We aint getting Parker b/c we want Carmelo.... AND, if we do get Parker it'll be a deadline deal (and Felton would be a piece we could trade to SA).

You can work on the pick and roll, on shooting, but you can't teach Ridnour to be bigger, faster, stronger.

Felton-STAT-Turiaf will change the mentality of this team, give it character, lead it, set positive examples for the kids.... a complete 18- from what we're used to!

Is 7-8 mil a little too much? Perhaps. But we had to relent, b/c he agreed to do a 2 year deal. Blake got 4. Ridnour probably the same. Felton was costing at least 5-6, another 1-2 mil to convince him to come to MY on a 2 year deal. No big deal.

moneyg

Starter
told you so...

This deal sounds good to me. Not sure the fourth yaer is fully guaranteed. He is clearly the next best FA on the market. We could low ball FAs like the nets and come up empty.

Now go get wesley mathews

nobody believed....

WOW...

so people were cleary upset over this